Steam Deal Thread V1 - Thread closed. See V2 thread for the deals!

Status
Not open for further replies.

eastx

CAGiversary!
Feedback
92 (100%)
Welcome to the Steam deal thread V1! Read post # 2 for Steam FAQs and more.

This thread is no longer being updated. Please visit the V2 thread for Steam deal discussion. Thanks to everyone who made this thread a success.

Group Buys - Updated 05/20

Several multiplayer Steam games are available in 2-packs or 4-packs. These packs offer a discount over buying multiple copies of a game separately. We also maintain group buy trade threads for several games, so please use those threads if you're interested in setting up a group buy.

Free Stuff
There are several free games and mods on Steam. These are a few choice ones; you can find a full list here. Note that free games are not permanently attached to your Steam account like actual purchases would be. You'll need to manually download a game again from the website if you uninstall it.
Past Special Sales
Visit www.steamgamesales.com to check previous sale prices on Steam games. We do keep track of some older sales here though:

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Narcisstalker']

If some developer or publisher isn't doing it then they are just being greedy dicks.[/QUOTE]

I wouldn't go as far to call them greedy. It could just be that they developed on a tool made for windows based games only, and to translate it to mac, it could require a whole new re-write of the game which would cost time and money that some developers don't have.

Apologies, I have to break up your post so I can properly respond to it.

[quote name='gcorlett']The only time I really get bummed is when a game gets cheaper after I've bought it but before I've even had time to play it. Ooh that burns me up.[/QUOTE]
That's really the impetus behind my grumbling. I got it about 2-3 weeks ago, and it's sat uninstalled, unplayed, and unloved in my collection because I haven't been able to get my friends' schedules to work out for a group playthrough. It's definitely disappointing.

[quote name='gcorlett']If you're new to Steam, you might find that link I posted in my last message helpful - it shows historical prices for Steam games. You can also get some of that in the "news" section for any game on Steam itself. Also, there's a "group buy" thread on here ... somewhere ... that helps for getting games like L4D that have 4-packs. I think it's linked off the top page.[/QUOTE]
Thanks. :) I found that site as the sale started and its definitely helped quite a bit on figuring out which games I can wait on until the next sale where I can budget more money for them. I figure if something like Batman: AA has been on sale for that price before, it'll probably hit that price again (what with Arkham City coming out this year.)

[quote name='gcorlett']I meant it lightly, not harsh. As gentle ribbing. I'm sorry. "Printed word" and all that. Part of the charm of Steam is getting a great game at a great price, and then watching the game be even cheaper 1 month later. I payed $30 for L4D2, myself. I try to be happy about it being $5 now because it means the community stays strong.
[...]
Cheers. Sorry that I sounded like a jerk.[/QUOTE]
No worries. It's all good. :) I apologize for sounding snappy as I did. I'm used to having to argue with people on the internet, so I end up inferring negativity quite a lot. It's a bad habit. Cheers!

This sale is great for new users, but does anyone else who's been on Steam for awhile feel like it's the same stuff on sale all the time? The past three or four Steam sales we've seen stuff like L4D, Batman, Far Cry, GTA, Stalker, the same developer bundles, etc...

I used to really look forward to these Steam sales, but now I really don't as it's the same games over and over.

[quote name='Sir_Fragalot']I wouldn't go as far to call them greedy.[/QUOTE]

Agreed on developers. When a massive publisher like EA does it though it's definitely greed.

A fun fact about SteamPlay and Portal 2 is that Valve offered the same exact deal to both Sony and Microsoft and Microsoft flat-out said "No.".

[quote name='Narcisstalker']Agreed on developers. When a massive publisher like EA does it though it's definitely greed.

A fun fact about SteamPlay and Portal 2 is that Valve offered the same exact deal to both Sony and Microsoft and Microsoft flat-out said "No.".[/QUOTE]
I can agree on that. Small indie developers I can let pass since they don't have the budget to be doing 2 versions of the game, let alone afford mac's to program with.

Big companies though have no excuse unless their game is so old it's not worth the port job.

[quote name='gcorlett']
The only time I really get bummed is when a game gets cheaper after I've bought it but before I've even had time to play it. Ooh that burns me up.
[/QUOTE]

Dragon Age Utlimate Edition, $25 last winter. Still haven't played it. $10 during the summer. Rage.

I paid 22.50 for GTA4+episodes last steam sale, and never played it
Don't buy a game in a Steam sale unless if it's the last day or a daily deal
Don't buy a a daily deal unless if you're sure that you'll play it by the next steam sale

Probably getting Jamestown.

[quote name='DemonAlcohol']Hmm prototype... been waiting months for a price drop and it's still $15. WTF?[/QUOTE]
$15 is indeed still high for this. I recommend waiting as well. $15 can also get 3 damn good daily deal games for $4.99 that are easily up to par with Prototype if not better. Sometimes even way better.

[quote name='Escargoexpress']I paid 22.50 for GTA4+episodes last steam sale, and never played it
Don't buy a a daily deal unless if you're sure that you'll play it by the next steam sale

Probably getting Jamestown.[/QUOTE]
I totally agree. Daily Deals are definitely where it's at. As a rule of thumb, the eyes should scout out single games under $4.99 and packs under $10. It's cheap, but this is cheap ass gamer and with those practices you can easily get some damn good stuff that you actually play and want to finish for under $5 each. Steam also throws in fairly new games with 50% off, but those are really best for hardcore fans dieing to play them NOW and finish them before all over games. 75-80% can also be a good indicator of the best of daily deals, as long as it follows the prices above too. The game company packs have a lot of savings too, but require a lot more research as to what your really getting. THQ seems to usually hold the better bang for buck in them I hear. Sometimes Valve's pack has a crazy low price for a limited time too.

And yes, I also say don't buy a daily deal unless you'll play it by the next sale or know you'll be playing in within the next 8 months or so to prevent it from being forgotten due to newer games or even newer versions of "the game you buy" coming out. The game industry keeps growing so you really are best to go with what YOU enjoy most. do the research, try the demos, get a collection that you can enjoy a lot just personally. There's always that personally subjective degree of how much you'll like a game yourself.

As for one of my games now. I have GTA:IV but not EFLC. I notice EFLC alone is way higher than the GTA:IV complete for $10. Wouldn't be possible to get EFLC for $5? Funny, steam also says I already Own GTA:IV Complete when I only have GTA:IV standard without EFLC. Did they throw in a free EFLC upgrade for people with only the GTA:IV? Would be awesome, I'll have to read more. update: aparently it's just a glitch and you still gotta buy EFLC or the Complete to get that if you already own GTA:IV. The complete is obviously the better deal, but it kinda sucks to partially repurchase what you already own AND not be able to gift the extra copy either. I'd hold off cause EFLC will be on sale around $4.99ish someday.

[quote name='Narcisstalker']

A fun fact about SteamPlay and Portal 2 is that Valve offered the same exact deal to both Sony and Microsoft and Microsoft flat-out said "No.".[/QUOTE]
And that's fine because Microsoft couldn't get the other to agree on the same rules and regulations of it's online system as far as COC and all that.

Sony on the other hand has crap for online so the whole "beggars can't be choosers" happened.

Nothing to do with greed in Microsoft's case, just giving it's users the same sort of experience anywhere they go online

Regarding GTA IV: I played hours of it and never saw missing textures, the only problems I encountered was slow gameplay cos of cranking the graphics too high

Regarding L4D2: at 5$ boycotting is stupid and your loss. It's much better than the 1st game.

I have limited myself to not spend more than around $10 on any game since I have a huge backlog of games and may not play it before its on sale later for cheaper. A good rule I stick to is if it's under $10 and you're interested, get it because it can't get much cheaper in the future. If it does and you didnt play it yet, its not that big of a deal. I almost never play new released games on steam, I just can't afford and have patience to wait for big sales.

[quote name='vherub']
Getting armored princess and crossworlds is rather a waste. But the first game is good enough that the $7 pack is the best bet.[/QUOTE]

Err... Crossworlds is an expansion to Armored Princess, you can't play Crossworlds without it.

[quote name='SEH']This sale is great for new users, but does anyone else who's been on Steam for awhile feel like it's the same stuff on sale all the time? The past three or four Steam sales we've seen stuff like L4D, Batman, Far Cry, GTA, Stalker, the same developer bundles, etc...

I used to really look forward to these Steam sales, but now I really don't as it's the same games over and over.[/QUOTE]

I agree, except for some of the indie games, it really is the same stuff.

[quote name='Escargoexpress']I paid 22.50 for GTA4+episodes last steam sale, and never played it

Probably getting Jamestown.[/QUOTE]

By "unless if it's the last day", do you mean wait 'til July 10th (the last day of the summer sale), or when the sale is over for the day?

[quote name='eagles5769']I have limited myself to not spend more than around $10 on any game since I have a huge backlog of games and may not play it before its on sale later for cheaper. A good rule I stick to is if it's under $10 and you're interested, get it because it can't get much cheaper in the future. If it does and you didnt play it yet, its not that big of a deal. I almost never play new released games on steam, I just can't afford and have patience to wait for big sales.[/QUOTE]
Same. I'd have to be filthy rich to spend $60 on a new release. Especially with this price of gas, which also pisses me off. Imagine a 10-day major sale on gas. 80% off! People would probably be fighting each other to get to those gas stations first thing and suck then DRY filling huge tanks to store at home. It'd be freakin dangerous. There'd be explosions in that mayhem-seriously. Like the gold rush, but more gas and less dynamite.

What new purchases is everyone playing right now?

Definately enjoying some Lead & Gold & Bully atm.

I almost feel like buying L4D2 just for the ticket.
(I already have it on 360 and do not particularly enjoy it)

Also, is Killing Floor basically a L4D ripoff/reskin? as suggested by the description.

[quote name='eagles5769']I have limited myself to not spend more than around $10 on any game since I have a huge backlog of games and may not play it before its on sale later for cheaper. A good rule I stick to is if it's under $10 and you're interested, get it because it can't get much cheaper in the future. If it does and you didnt play it yet, its not that big of a deal. I almost never play new released games on steam, I just can't afford and have patience to wait for big sales.[/QUOTE]

My backlog is so huge I won't be able to finish half of them in the next 2 years if I tried. I find myself spending more time looking for good deals than actually playing the games and, as such, adding to my collection has become a game in itself.

Assuming Steam doesn't go belly up in the next decade though, perhpas my kids will enjoy my massive collection of "classic" games....

They're 3 right now. It's going to be a while.

Well if you've been with Steam long enough than obviously the sales will start to look repetitive -- there are only so many new games released each year and, chances are, few of them most people are interested in buying.

[quote name='FlyingMonkey9']Wow! Over ONE MILLION VIEWS for this thread....

crazy. this is a big sale though[/QUOTE]

This thread has been around a while though (Since the Black Friday sale last year), so most of them aren't from this sale.

Killing floor is mine, hmm any thoughts on the gothic games? Which ones are worth picking up? Four looks interesting but I'd like to hear some thoughts on it.

[quote name='alangee']By "unless if it's the last day", do you mean wait 'til July 10th (the last day of the summer sale), or when the sale is over for the day?[/QUOTE]

Usually, there's an encore sale day, in which many of the discounts are repeated for the people who missed it.

[quote name='The End']

So what exactly does it mean if a game doesn't have Steamplay. I was thinking of picking up Sims 3 as well, but your post has me wondering if I should take a pass as you're gonna do.[/QUOTE]

I think your question was answered, but basically STeamplay means if I buy the game once, I get a PC and a Mac version. The Sims would be a GREAT game for the Mac users in my family, but, alas, the Mac version isn't sold on Steam (I swear it was at one point though..).

So yeah, that won't matter to 99% of the people here, I just happen to be in the 1% XD

[quote name='Jaysonguy']And that's fine because Microsoft couldn't get the other to agree on the same rules and regulations of it's online system as far as COC and all that.

Sony on the other hand has crap for online so the whole "beggars can't be choosers" happened.

Nothing to do with greed in Microsoft's case, just giving it's users the same sort of experience anywhere they go online[/QUOTE]

Yeah it was because MS keeps stuff locked to their system creating a uniform experience but really if you think Sony has "crap for online" you probably haven't actually used it all that much. It is missing cross game chat (l just use a laptop to talk to friends on my mumble server anyway because the features for that are so much better) but otherwise I have found them to be pretty much the same.

I prefer the open system Sony has over a uniform experience anyway. You get interesting things like steam on PS3 and CCP's new thing, Dust 514.

[quote name='Terlan']Killing floor is mine, hmm any thoughts on the gothic games? Which ones are worth picking up? Four looks interesting but I'd like to hear some thoughts on it.[/QUOTE]
A series that is usually love or hate. I personally prefer it over the likes of Oblivion. It is a euro style RPG. The combat is love or hate. I wouldn't call it fluid especially in the first two games, more of a rhythmic combat system. Theres no real hand holding, monsters are their own level so you can easily be killed by things you shouldn't be fighting yet. Theres lots of collecting of herbs and such.

I haven't played 4 yet, just bought it today. 1 is good. 2 is great. 3 is ok. This is relative to its own series.

1 and 2 are very dated looking graphics-wise but still fun to play if you can get past that.

Killing Floor and King's Bounty platinum edition look interesting they'll probably be my next purchase. Far Cry 2, GTA IV complete and L4D2 are all great deals too bad I already own them all. Prototype and Lost Planet 2 prices are joke what waste of a daily deal

Actually Gothic 4 is from a different developer but I have played and enjoyed 2 and 3 though. From what I have heard 4 isn't terribly great so I would probably hold out longer and hold out for a daily sale on Risen (where the Gothic team went) if you haven't played that.

Nothing for me today. I do have fun seeing what the objectives are for each day though. I was able to do a couple and picked up some Killing Floor DLC (which should definitely be bought for those who don't have it).

Had my eye on the id Super Pack for a while. Finally picked it up. It will be fun to wax nostalgic while also experiencing a lot of the full games for the first time (only really played demos or shareware episodes for a lot of these games)! Also grabbed VVVVVV while I was at it.

Games getting cheaper after I buy them, before I get a chance to play them. My backlog is so huge and has been for so long, that this is the main reason I have a hard time biting on any Steam deal that isn't 75-85% off.

[quote name='BustaUppa']Had my eye on the id Super Pack for a while. Finally picked it up. It will be fun to wax nostalgic while also experiencing a lot of the full games for the first time (only really played demos or shareware episodes for a lot of these games)! Also grabbed VVVVVV while I was at it.[/QUOTE]

Don't forget to change the bat files to point to zDoom instead of dosbox! :D Makes for a much more pleasant experience in Doom(Ultimate/II/Final), Heretic, and Hexen! Also, when playing Quake I you'll need to update GLQuake to the latest version. Apparently Steam automatically deploys an outdated version of GLQuake that has trouble even running.

There may be other necessary "tweaks", but I haven't had a chance to install much else than those. Waiting on a new drive (which will be entirely dedicated to Steam!) to arrive in the mail. ;o;

[quote name='helmet']Dragon Age Utlimate Edition, $25 last winter. Still haven't played it. $10 during the summer. Rage.[/QUOTE]

Exactly. Still pissed about Dragon Age. Was certain the $25 was gonna be solid for awhile and then they drop it to $10 on me. That's why I've got my new policy: don't buy anything unless I'm going to play it fairly immediately or the price is so cheap that I won't care about a later price drop, like Beat Hazard Complete for $3.25. Can't imagine it'll get cheaper, but even if it does I'm not gonna complain about $1-2.

[quote name='LazyTriangle']has Batman:AA been cheaper on Steam before?[/QUOTE]

It's been $7.50 before on Steam. It was $6 last week on GamersGate, but never on Steam.

Just a heads-up - the Sims pack isn't really a daily deal. I've watched it since the sale began, and the whole pack was always 79.99. Now, I'm not sure whether they'll increase the price after today, but it's not particularly a "daily" deal.

Anyone asking if the PC version of Arkham Asylum is worth having over the console versions:

Go on Youtube and look up comparison videos showcasing its PhysX effects. (I'd link you, but I don't have Flash on my work computer, so I can't see to make sure I have the right video.)

[quote name='handsomepete']Am I nuts for wanting to purchase Batman AA yet again? I already have it on 360 and ps3, but it's just so damn fun. For < $8 it seems silly not to get it![/QUOTE]

I played the hell out of it on 360. I'm tempted to get it on Steam for $7.49, but I'm on the fence.

$5 is my max "don't-think-about-it" price. Anything higher I have to ... think about it. Someone tell me to stop being such a cheapass, or praise me for being an epic cheapass. :bomb:

ps. I did buy GTAIV Complete. $10 is a no-brainer, considering it's GTAIV for $5 and Episodes for $5.

[quote name='nCogNeato']I played the hell out of it on 360. I'm tempted to get it on Steam for $7.49, but I'm on the fence.

$5 is my max "don't-think-about-it" price. Anything higher I have to ... think about it. Someone tell me to stop being such a cheapass, or praise me for being an epic cheapass. :bomb:[/QUOTE]
dude it's only $7.50 what could possible go wrong?

;) :lol:

[quote name='SEH']This sale is great for new users, but does anyone else who's been on Steam for awhile feel like it's the same stuff on sale all the time? The past three or four Steam sales we've seen stuff like L4D, Batman, Far Cry, GTA, Stalker, the same developer bundles, etc...

I used to really look forward to these Steam sales, but now I really don't as it's the same games over and over.[/QUOTE]

Hard to complain though, isn't it? This is, like the 6th or 7th seasonal sale, now, and there is a lot of repetition. But I think that's an indication of how few titles/franchises are available for PC gamers. Unfortunately. :(

When you have to fill 10 days with 15 different daily deals, 3 times a year, you're bound to see the same things appear over and over, especially when there's only a few dozen new games each year for the PC.

The previous Winter and Thanksgiving sales were all about the indie titles though. There are always fresh indie games to try out, but thankfully this time they aren't all bundled into packages where I already own many.

Also, I have another theory. Since EA and Origin have been developing their own online stores for DD games for PC and Mac, I think they're pulling back on what they make available to Valve to put on sale, and the depth of those sale prices. It's the publishers that set the prices on Steam, not Valve. I see Valve as sort of a ringleader, coordinating these great sales at the same time. But maybe the others just don't want to play anymore.

Just a theory. And Bethesda, curse them - they make great games but they rarely do great sales. I am still baffled about why New Vegas went for 70% off but not Fallout 3 GOTY. And it's $9 today at Direct2Drive. But I would prefer it here. Grumble!

I love the PC version of Batman AA. Granted, it's the only one I've played, but it looks amazing maxed out running at 60 + fps. If you haven't bought much else this sale, I'd say it's worth double (triple?) dipping.

[quote name='Vegan']Anyone asking if the PC version of Arkham Asylum is worth having over the console versions:

Go on Youtube and look up comparison videos showcasing its PhysX effects. (I'd link you, but I don't have Flash on my work computer, so I can't see to make sure I have the right video.)[/QUOTE] The PC version looks way cooler with the PhysX. I'm not sure if I should buy it again just for that. Watching the gameplay does make me want to go back through it. I beat it first on 360, then I wanted to play as Joker so I bought the PS3 version. I beat that on hard difficulty. I'm not sure what to do!! link

[quote name='gcorlett']
Just a theory. And Bethesda, curse them - they make great games but they rarely do great sales. I am still baffled about why New Vegas went for 70% off but not Fallout 3 GOTY. And it's $9 today at Direct2Drive. But I would prefer it here. Grumble![/QUOTE]

If Bethesda put out a complete pack on Steam (yes, including Call of Cthulu), it'd be an instant buy for me.

[quote name='Newl']Also, is Killing Floor basically a L4D ripoff/reskin? as suggested by the description.[/QUOTE]
Nope. It has no versus mode to compare, but is the superior product for co-op. I'd rather have Killing Floor personally.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back