Steam Deal Thread V1 - Thread closed. See V2 thread for the deals!

Status
Not open for further replies.

eastx

CAGiversary!
Feedback
92 (100%)
Welcome to the Steam deal thread V1! Read post # 2 for Steam FAQs and more.

This thread is no longer being updated. Please visit the V2 thread for Steam deal discussion. Thanks to everyone who made this thread a success.

Group Buys - Updated 05/20

Several multiplayer Steam games are available in 2-packs or 4-packs. These packs offer a discount over buying multiple copies of a game separately. We also maintain group buy trade threads for several games, so please use those threads if you're interested in setting up a group buy.

Free Stuff
There are several free games and mods on Steam. These are a few choice ones; you can find a full list here. Note that free games are not permanently attached to your Steam account like actual purchases would be. You'll need to manually download a game again from the website if you uninstall it.
Past Special Sales
Visit www.steamgamesales.com to check previous sale prices on Steam games. We do keep track of some older sales here though:

Last edited by a moderator:
So I skipped out on FO3:GotY when it was $15 at Gamestop (Steam-able) and $9.xx at D2D but for whatever reason I feel compelled to buy it today on Steam. I've never played a Bethesda style of game and from what I've read I think I'd be overwhelmed by the "open world-ness" of it. I understand it's a really great bargain but I'm just not sure I'll even attempt to play it. I sort of want to buy it just to have it. Call me crazy.

[quote name='drakesvg']Any thoughts on The Last Remnant??[/QUOTE]

I'm going to be honest - I hated this game on the 360. I felt like I didn't have enough control over the battle system (it's turn based, but afaik I couldn't predict turn order (like FF1)) and the voice acting was awful. I don't know if there's better stuff available on the PC, but on the 360 you can do better (Blue Dragon, Eternal Sonata, Lost Oddysey).

[quote name='Sway']So I skipped out on FO3:GotY when it was $15 at Gamestop (Steam-able) and $9.xx at D2D but for whatever reason I feel compelled to buy it today on Steam. I've never played a Bethesda style of game and from what I've read I think I'd be overwhelmed by the "open world-ness" of it. I understand it's a really great bargain but I'm just not sure I'll even attempt to play it. I sort of want to buy it just to have it. Call me crazy.[/QUOTE]
Actually I think Fallout 3 isn't too crazy with the open worldness of it. Sure there is a ton of stuff to do, but if you follow the quests and storyline you shouldn't be too overwhelmed.

Now Elder Scrolls is a different story.

If the Splinter Cell collection were $10-12 I'd recommend it. At only 66% off...it WILL be cheaper in the future. $18 can wait on this, especially if you got backlog. Perhaps grab one of the $3ish ones now if you want a early taste while waiting. Honestly even the first one is pretty SICK gameplay as I've played through it twice. The others are most likely similar with better graphics, more weapons/moves, awesomeness in general. $10-12 for the pack and this would be my most recommended of all, yes sir.

Fallout GOTY+All 5 DLC is a solid deal for $10 if you don't have any of it and want a new game that OWNS. $10 for a huge ass game. I know the Oblivion GOTY+DLC was $6.80 but this is damn close enough and worth every penny. Next few sales this will also go to $6.80 but if you really want to play it, the extra bucks are singing beautifully in your direction to buy it.

Only heard good about Amnesia and it's been $4.99 on sale a lot now. I feel like Steam isn't gonna go lower till 2+ more sales and you don't risk much loss at this point anyways.

Red Faction Armageddon - Hardcore diehard fans who need it now only. All else, no deal here.

Empire Napoleon: Total War is pretty awesome for diehard RTS fans that don't want Fallout 3. It's a huge game also. It'll probably be 75% off in the next sale or two tho. I'll wait on this one

Mass Effect 2 & 1 for $6.80 a piece is a sweet time to buy. The next price stop will be $4.99 as usual and these are HUGE games. They were $10 a piece in the last winter sale, now $6.80 is making it more possible for more people. Recommended for sure. Perhaps even a no brainer. If you want to just go with one, go with...well, number one lol. You should start from the beginning. They are both equally awesome really.

Divinity II - Hardcore Diehard fans that need it now only.

Dirt 3 - same as above. need it now only. all else should wait for sure. Original Dirt is $6.69 for a tiny savings from $9.99 btw.

Haven't even heard of Universe Sandbox, gotta read on that

[quote name='Sir_Fragalot']Actually I think Fallout 3 isn't too crazy with the open worldness of it. Sure there is a ton of stuff to do, but if you follow the quests and storyline you shouldn't be too overwhelmed.

Now Elder Scrolls is a different story.[/QUOTE]

Thats one of the things I disliked about Fallout 3. If you just follow the storyline you only experience a small portion of the world. And I never found the environment to be interesting enough to explore on my own.

Which is the better game, Fallout 3 GOTY or Fallout New Vegas? Both are $10 (FNV's from BestBuy)? I am a terrible FPS player, and I read that FO3 lets you utilize that paused targeting feature more than FNV. Any tips?

Does Amnesia have heavy combat? My partner enjoys the horror genre but cannot handle a lot of moving enemies in a 3D game world. She can handle Portal 2 (and loved it) but can't handle first person shooters in general.

I have been reading descriptions of the game but I've yet to figure out if it's a good game for a girl who isn't good at first person games.

[quote name='Spokker']Does Amnesia have heavy combat? My partner enjoys the horror genre but cannot handle a lot of moving enemies in a 3D game world. She can handle Portal 2 (and loved it) but can't handle first person shooters in general.

I have been reading descriptions of the game but I've yet to figure out if it's a good game for a girl who isn't good at first person games.[/QUOTE]

There is NO combat in Amnesia. In fact, you can't fight back, even if you wanted to. Your only option, when confronted with enemies, is to run and hide and hope they don't find you.

[quote name='INCyr']Your only option, when confronted with enemies, is to run and hide and hope they don't find you.[/QUOTE]

Sounds perfect. This is what she does in most games anyway.

Weird. I was about to get the Deluxe version of Mafia II because I thought the Amazon version I got just after Christmas was only the vanilla version (it registered on Steam, but I didn't download or play it yet, just the demo). Clicking on the game's page in Steam shows that it's considered the Deluxe... huh!

Here's the game page on Amazon, which has no Deluxe indicator:

http://www.amazon.com/2K-Games-4046...4ISM/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1310149328&sr=8-2

Bonus for me today, I guess! (*Does Ed Grimley dance*)

Edit: Just wanted to mention that it's just the vanilla version I got via the license code at Amazon. I think it's just Steam that's glitched on the Deluxe version page (in Steam and in their item webpage). I also checked the DLC option in-game and it shows that I have no DLC.

Oh well :( I really wanted that soundtrack and art book, but I don't want to spend another $10 for it. Still a good game, though.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='NeoGutsman']Which is the better game, Fallout 3 GOTY or Fallout New Vegas? Both are $10 (FNV's from BestBuy)? I am a terrible FPS player, and I read that FO3 lets you utilize that paused targeting feature more than FNV. Any tips?[/QUOTE]
I'm a diehard fan enthusiast of these games and have played through them both extensively and can assure you both allow you to utilize the V.A.T.S. targeting feature equally. It's fully accessible in both.

Also I recommend new comers go with Fallout 3 first since it does seem a bit easier and smoother when it comes to gasping the fundamentals of the game. Then go with NV once your a lot better at it to take better advantage of the new features and not feel too overwhelmed by all the additional features as well. Fallout 3 is a bit more simple in the gameplay with a story that's just as good as NV with several endings. About $10 on steam now for the GOTY with the 5 DLC expansion packs which add a ton of additional content to this game. The best deal on Steam today in my opinion.

[quote name='NeoGutsman']Which is the better game, Fallout 3 GOTY or Fallout New Vegas? Both are $10 (FNV's from BestBuy)? I am a terrible FPS player, and I read that FO3 lets you utilize that paused targeting feature more than FNV. Any tips?[/QUOTE]

Every peep I've talked to on the matter has said that Fallout 3 is by and far the superior game. It seems that most people move to New Vegas once they've pretty much completed 3 and simply want more first person Fallout to play through.

[quote name='Spokker']Sounds perfect. This is what she does in most games anyway.[/QUOTE]
Except this will happen

Black_kid_screamer.gif

Has the DLC for ME2 ever gone on sale at Bioware's site? Just wondering since without DLC on Steam it seems like it never gets discounted.

[quote name='KaOTiK']The sale has been good. Pretty much everyday I've owned over half the games on sale but just because I own them doesn't mean the sale isn't good anyways.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, but I barely own a fraction of the games that have been on the daily deals, and I still haven't been tempted by much. I've only bit on 3 of the daily deals so far. With tomorrow probably being the last day for new daily deals (with July 10th likely being an encore day), it looks like I won't have to worry about my budget at all.

[quote name='runsongas']Has the DLC for ME2 ever gone on sale at Bioware's site? Just wondering since without DLC on Steam it seems like it never gets discounted.[/QUOTE]
I've never seen it on sale but I don't really keep an eye on it though. If they would, I would be all over that!

[quote name='wilflare']audiosurf any good?[/QUOTE]

This is just my opinion, but I found it to be a very boring game. I got it in an indie game pack last year and only played it yesterday for the Steam Summer achievement. To be fair, it's one of those love-or-hate games, so try the demo out if you're on the fence. It's cheap right now, so it's not much of a loss, but I know those dollars add up over time.

Fallout 3 GOTY is an amazing deal at that price, but only if you like exploring. I've never played the game only JUST doing the main quest, so I don't know how long it takes, but it's definitely less than 20 hours. But through exploring I spent 300-400 hours in it on multiple characters, without mods, and some people on the Bethesda forums have spent more than 1000 with mods. The DLC are a mixed bag, but even if you ran through each you couldn't do them in less than 2 hours, so that's another 10 hours right there, at the very least. But realistically, most will take longer.

It's rather different than New Vegas. New Vegas is more story heavy and is more of an RPG, while it suffers in the exploration department. Fallout 3 has a decent story but where it really shines is the exploration, which is what Bethesda does best. But I don't think you'll enjoy this game if you don't take the time to explore it.

[quote name='Wolfmight']I'm a diehard fan enthusiast of these games and have played through them both extensively and can assure you both allow you to utilize the V.A.T.S. targeting feature equally. It's fully accessible in both.

Also I recommend new comers go with Fallout 3 first since it does seem a bit easier and smoother when it comes to gasping the fundamentals of the game. Then go with NV once your a lot better at it to take better advantage of the new features and not feel too overwhelmed by all the additional features as well. Fallout 3 is a bit more simple in the gameplay with a story that's just as good as NV with several endings. About $10 on steam now for the GOTY with the 5 DLC expansion packs which add a ton of additional content to this game. The best deal on Steam today in my opinion.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='DaedalusIkari']Every peep I've talked to on the matter has said that Fallout 3 is by and far the superior game. It seems that most people move to New Vegas once they've pretty much completed 3 and simply want more first person Fallout to play through.[/QUOTE]

Hey, thanks for the recommendations! CAG wisdom rules! I think I'll go for Fallout 3 GOTY to start then. I'll graduate to New Vegas later... If I can tear myself away from Trine and Just Cause 2... Curse you and your daily deals, Steam!!! ;D

Thanks for the feedback, Antibody. I'm more of an exploration kind of person. I like combat, but I have even more fun searching nooks and crannies for stuff. Clicking on Fallout 3 GOTY buy... now ;)

Alright, time to stop spending money, I have Oblivion, Morrowind, Guild Wars, and some other stuff I probably won't even get around to playing until the holiday sale. Unless it's a game I've wanted for a while and think it won't be cheaper by the time I get around to actually playing it, I think I'm good until the next steam sale.

Would anyone be interested in swapping a copy of Fallout 3 GOTY for my Fallout New Vegas (Steamworks copy)? Throw me a PM if so. :)

[quote name='Musichead13']I wonder if we'll see Sam & Max on sale. Haven't noticed it this sale and I remember it being on sale last year.[/QUOTE]

I wouldn't count on it - they were just a daily deal or weekend deal (can't remember which) no more than a month ago for a pretty steep discount. Also, the Telltale complete is only $50 - excellent pickup if you ask me.

Probably nothing for me today. The Last Remnant probably would be tempting if I didn't already have a large stack of JRPG that I have yet to play. I still haven't finished ME 1, so getting 2 would be pointless considering they are likely going to be on sale next winter as well. Dirt 3 I'm likely getting for free with my next video card.

love posting this whenever amnesia goes on sale
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=loSzpvq73FY

mass effect games are great but it's sad about the dlc.

hmm purchase dues ex human revolution or dungeon siege 3 get the Square Enix Summer Collector Pack for $50. haven't played any of the the dues ex or dungeon siege games so probably not for me, but makes me think they'll be in a more expensive pack come winter.

[quote name='Ardrid']Ended up grabbing LC: GoL. Couldn't really resist at $3.75 since I've been eyeing it since last year. Almost broke down and bought it during the holiday sale for $7.50, and later on PSN for $7.50, but I'm glad I held off. Now that I know I can use my DS3 w/Steam, buying GoL now was a no-brainer (no way PSN ever gets close to $3.75). Brings my total haul to $10.75:

BioShock 2 - $3.75 (4-pack)
Beat Hazard Complete - $3.25
Lara Croft & Guardian of Light - $3.75[/QUOTE]

gameshare you fool! Ok so not quite the same thing as an 80% off sale but pretty close.
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=274279

Here's a question for you guys...

Fallout 3 GOTY worth it? I used to have it on consoles when it came out but I didn't enjoy it for some reason and only got in about an hour or so of playtime before I got bored with it. I am a HUGE fan of Oblivion (have it on 360 and PC) and post-apocalyptic things (so yeah I know it's weird I couldn't enjoy Fallout 3).

I used to hate Mass Effect and KOTOR when I had them on consoles, but I loved them when I got them on PC. I'm wondering if the same thing might happen with Fallout 3.

If I don't get Fallout 3 I'll probably grab the Total War collection. Thoughts?

Fallout 3 GOTY worth it? I used to have it on consoles when it came out but I didn't enjoy it for some reason and only got in about an hour or so of playtime before I got bored with it. I am a HUGE fan of Oblivion (have it on 360 and PC) and post-apocalyptic things (so yeah I know it's weird I couldn't enjoy Fallout 3).

I used to hate Mass Effect and KOTOR when I had them on consoles, but I loved them when I got them on PC. I'm wondering if the same thing might happen with Fallout 3.

[quote name='evantrees']love posting this whenever amnesia goes on sale
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=loSzpvq73FY

mass effect games are great but it's sad about the dlc.

hmm purchase dues ex human revolution or dungeon siege 3 get the Square Enix Summer Collector Pack for $50. haven't played any of the the dues ex or dungeon siege games so probably not for me, but makes me think they'll be in a more expensive pack come winter.

gameshare you fool! Ok so not quite the same thing as an 80% off sale but pretty close.
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=274279[/QUOTE]

Not a fan of doing game sharing.

[quote name='fishphoenix']Here's a question for you guys...

If I don't get Fallout 3 I'll probably grab the Total War collection. Thoughts?[/QUOTE]

Fallout 3 is absolutely fantastic. I easily put more than 70 hours into my first playthrough and imagine it'll be even longer in that with my second playthrough with all the DLC.

Just bought Fallout 3... again.

Originally bought the 360 version then upgraded my PC and purchased the D2D version cheap last year (wanna say around $20) well... that version is complete shit. It crashes every 5 minutes and is a known problem (unknown to me at the time) and does not accept mods. So here we go Steam!

[quote name='JustYourAverageJoe']I saw that, but was wondering what others experiences were, as the Steam pages have been wrong before about DRM, controller support, etc. I'm not sure how they could tie the DLC specifically to the Steam version, knowing how the DLC for Bethesda games works, but I just wanted to be sure is all.[/QUOTE]

Oblivion was the same way. So is Borderlands, and BFBC2. It's just hit or miss. And there have been games that have changed policy *after* the GOTY came available. I have a copy of "Civ 4: Warlords" in my Steam library that I bought without owning Steam's version of "Civ 4". Can't do that now. But technically I can still install and play it; it installs a full image of Civ 4 with the Warlords expansion pack. Kinds neat. Not sure if this is relevant but I thought it was interesting. ;)

But New Vegas is a Steamworks game, so DLC bought anywhere just activates on Steam. Same with Civ 5.

Does anyone have an opinion on Winter's Voice or whatever? It's one of today's raffle achievements. I like adventure games, so I'm not opposed to story-heavy games, but some people have said that it's REALLY slow. Thoughts?

Tempted on FO3: GOTY (just for the DLC) and ME2, but not sure if they'll go any lower. I mean, I know it's just a few bucks at most, but... errrrgh, I haven't even played ME1 that I bought like a year ago yet.

Wow, Amnesia looked incredibly boring but I must admit I wouldn't mind watching that guy play through the whole thing. He's far more entertaining lol.

[quote name='helmet']Would anyone be interested in swapping a copy of Fallout 3 GOTY for my Fallout New Vegas (Steamworks copy)? Throw me a PM if so. :)[/QUOTE]

PM sent!

Anyone heard if there will be a Mass Effect 2 ultimate edition with all of the DLC included, kind of like Dragon Age Origins Ultimate?

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back