Steam Deal Thread V1 - Thread closed. See V2 thread for the deals!

Status
Not open for further replies.

eastx

CAGiversary!
Feedback
92 (100%)
Welcome to the Steam deal thread V1! Read post # 2 for Steam FAQs and more.

This thread is no longer being updated. Please visit the V2 thread for Steam deal discussion. Thanks to everyone who made this thread a success.

Group Buys - Updated 05/20

Several multiplayer Steam games are available in 2-packs or 4-packs. These packs offer a discount over buying multiple copies of a game separately. We also maintain group buy trade threads for several games, so please use those threads if you're interested in setting up a group buy.

Free Stuff
There are several free games and mods on Steam. These are a few choice ones; you can find a full list here. Note that free games are not permanently attached to your Steam account like actual purchases would be. You'll need to manually download a game again from the website if you uninstall it.
Past Special Sales
Visit www.steamgamesales.com to check previous sale prices on Steam games. We do keep track of some older sales here though:

Last edited by a moderator:
Dont know why but feels like the sale is ending early. I recall it starting and thinking "Wow thats such a long sale!". Now I feel like.....man its over already...it just started!

[quote name='Genocidal']This is the thread for group buys and Steam gifting: http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=279563

Also, whoever said FEAR Collection was 10 bucks, it's showing up as $20 here in the US.[/QUOTE]
I did! Woops, I can see at steamgamesales.com that it is indeed at $20 in the US. I am in Iceland however and for me it shows up as 50% off at $10. Something cheaper in my region than the US? That's a first! Sorry about the confusion though.

I'm thinking about getting Forgotten Sands. May have to get the rest of the games as I've only play Sands of Time and PoP 2008, and I'm a huge fan of SoT.

I might pick up Terraria for my friend (I seriously need to someone to play it with) and a Hitman game, but that's about it. Fallout 3 has been sucking my time

Surprised at the good price on Terraria, but not really interested. Too bad Amnesia wasn't that price yesterday, because I could've justified the cost.

So, what exactly is Terraria? Is there a story mode and levels and such? Or it just plops you somewhere and says have fun?

The trailer hardly helped explain it. And don't say it's a 2D Minecraft, because I have honestly no idea how that game works or what it does.

[quote name='gcorlett']Thank you - I actually appreciate this. I didn't think much of Minecraft, and although I am tempted to bite on terraria for $1.88, I just don't think I'll enjoy it. Minecraft was neat for a bit, but I have limited gaming time, and open-ended games can suck all that time up and I never make progress on my backlog. Terraria just seems like more of the same. I would love to have had this game as a teenager, with gobs of free time.[/QUOTE]

isnt there an end-game? i know its more structured than minecraft.

[quote name='VindictiveGnome']Terraria is a ton of fun! It's just like Minecraft, but 2D instead of 3D. I'm really digging it.[/QUOTE]
Pun intended?

:lol:

Got Gratuitous Space Battles, thought it might have gotten cheaper than the Already Cheap 10$ for complete so my haul was

Garshasp The Monster Slayer 2.50
Solar 2 4.99
Magicka Complete Pack 8.49
Darksiders 4.99
Doom Pack 8.74
FarCry 2 4.99
Command and Conquer: Red Alert 3 - Uprising 4.00
Gratuitous Space Battles - Complete Pack 9.99

total 48.69
Went over my budget of 30$, went and bought CC:Uprising and Doom Pack unexpectedly (but like to run around in doom 3 sometimes and didn't realize how ugly Doom was going to be on new high res monitors hadn't played since the olden days when it was new and the alien mode was released LOL) and didn't expect to see FarCry 2 and Darksiders for 5.

Gonna grab Terreria off of a 4 pack and think about Portal 2. I know I would like it, but I could just as easily wait till the winter sale and probably grab it for the same price or less.

Total damage:
Monday Night Combat
Terreria
Amnesia
CSS+Gmod
S.T.A.L.K.E.R. CoP and Clear Sky
Wings of Prey
Bully
Serious Sam HD 1+2
Tropico 3 + dlc
Torchlight
Oblivion GOTY Deluxe
BIT.TRIP.Runner
------------------------
$55.36

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Sway']
Are there any other gems we should look at before the sale ends?[/QUOTE]

To prepare for tomorrow's rush to look for sale games that weren't daily deals, there's a thread started already! It's a good place to put your lists together and recommend to others.

[quote name='macschwag14']The demo seems to be a really good indicator of the final game, from what I've read. Having played the demo, I have to say I found myself having no fun, which is too bad.[/QUOTE]

The DNF demo is actually a horrible indicator of the final game. I was really let down after playing the demo, but had it pre-ordered and ended up enjoying a good deal of the game. Probably a 6.5/10 for me.

[quote name='gage006']I played the demo and hated it but got the game anyways. It's better than the demo made it seem, imo. But I'd say $10-20 is the sweet spot for it.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I hate to say it, but it's destined for a sub $20 pricepoint soon. I'd say wait too.

Never thought I'd bother with Terraria, but 4 for $7.50? Might be my big purchase of this summer's steam sale. I've only spent a few bucks on some DLCs, including Beat Hazard, LCGoL, and Defense Grid. Figured I'd spend $1 instead of 3 tickets :p

Oh, for anyone wondering about the X series of games: if you don't have any and want to see what it's all about, grab Terran Conflict. I'd really only get the entire pack if you're a fan of the series and want the other games on Steam and/or want to replay them again.

There's a number of UI updates/control changes that make the game very much so playable with just a mouse and keyboard (as opposed to someone earlier in the thread saying you needed a joystick for it); the campaign in Reunion gave me a bit of a headache trying to figure out what to do, but in TC, I ran into nothing of the sort. I think TC also has a few graphical updates that not only make the game look prettier, but smoother and more stable (there was a HUGE deal with asteriods in the original game that brought systems to a crawl that was later fixed, but it's one that comes to mind).

As far as what the games are, you're put into a universe with a ship according to your starting origins that has factions that like and dislike one another and others that are just plain mean. I'd start with the Terran start (that Erin whatever girl) because it's mostly combat oriented (whoooo!) and you even get a few ships later as wingmen AI, and that isn't too far.

I started a trade empire with some giant freight ships and let them run their course. They earn me money and are generally pretty safe, provided they have adequate shields to get around.

Back on gameplay, it's considered a 4X game. I'll let Wikipedia tell about that because it covers most things. The ship-to-ship combat can get a bit dull (turn, fire, turn, accelerate, turn, fire, shoot down missile, turn, fire, next ship), but it's satisfying when you get weapon loadouts all working how you want them, and launching missiles and the like against the bigger targets, knowing they can't turn or strafe fast enough to get out of the way. The ships all have different stats, so I can't comment on any gameplay in some of the bigger frigates (I mostly stay in fighter-type ships), though I use one to haul around my crew; I actually couldn't wait to get into one of those just so I could have the feeling of pointing these giant cannons at an enemy and just laying waste to everything.

Oh, there's a nifty feature in the game that speeds up time. If you've got AI wingmen floating about...be careful. The AI gets pretty dumb when time flows by at super speeds.

Uhm...this covers most things, I think.

tl;dr: if interested in a 4X space ship with combat game, grab X3: Terran Conflict.

Time Gentlemen, Please! $1.25
Magicka complete $8.49
Fallout New Vegas DLC $5.98
King Arthur: Druids DLC $1.50
Terraria 4-pack $1.85
Valve Complete pack $49.99

Total Damage: $69.06
If they had had Portal for $20 I would have just gotten that but for $25 I decided the valve pack was a better buy.

Im kinda surprized at myself for my restraint this sale, terraria, beat hazard and frozen synapse are all I picked up.......

Also page 666!?!?!!? you know what that means.......three numbers of the same value in succession, pff superstition.

[quote name='Jodou']Surprised at the good price on Terraria, but not really interested. Too bad Amnesia wasn't that price yesterday, because I could've justified the cost.[/QUOTE]

You could justify $2.50 for a game, but not $5? I feel bad for the developers.

[quote name='KingofGames']You could justify $2.50 for a game, but not $5? I feel bad for the developers.[/QUOTE]

Everyone has an opinion and a budget. Remember the name of the website.

[quote name='mrsilkunderwear']Everyone has an opinion and a budget. Remember the name of the website.[/QUOTE]

Has the game been less than $5? A 75% discount on a highly regarded game should be plenty for even the cheapest of cheap asses.

To anyone that has bought the Hitman pack, are the older games worth going back to play. I know alot of people say the newer one is worth the play through

[quote name='KingofGames']Has the game been less than $5? A 75% discount on a highly regarded game should be plenty for even the cheapest of cheap asses.[/QUOTE]

No.. People have backlogs and other games with higher priorities. Maybe he wants to spend $5 on 2 games instead of one in which he will get more value than just one $5 game, regardless of the reviews.

[quote name='ForeStorm']Oh, for anyone wondering about the X series of games: if you don't have any and want to see what it's all about, grab Terran Conflict. I'd really only get the entire pack if you're a fan of the series and want the other games on Steam and/or want to replay them again.

There's a number of UI updates/control changes that make the game very much so playable with just a mouse and keyboard (as opposed to someone earlier in the thread saying you needed a joystick for it); the campaign in Reunion gave me a bit of a headache trying to figure out what to do, but in TC, I ran into nothing of the sort. I think TC also has a few graphical updates that not only make the game look prettier, but smoother and more stable (there was a HUGE deal with asteriods in the original game that brought systems to a crawl that was later fixed, but it's one that comes to mind).

As far as what the games are, you're put into a universe with a ship according to your starting origins that has factions that like and dislike one another and others that are just plain mean. I'd start with the Terran start (that Erin whatever girl) because it's mostly combat oriented (whoooo!) and you even get a few ships later as wingmen AI, and that isn't too far.

I started a trade empire with some giant freight ships and let them run their course. They earn me money and are generally pretty safe, provided they have adequate shields to get around.

Back on gameplay, it's considered a 4X game. I'll let Wikipedia tell about that because it covers most things. The ship-to-ship combat can get a bit dull (turn, fire, turn, accelerate, turn, fire, shoot down missile, turn, fire, next ship), but it's satisfying when you get weapon loadouts all working how you want them, and launching missiles and the like against the bigger targets, knowing they can't turn or strafe fast enough to get out of the way. The ships all have different stats, so I can't comment on any gameplay in some of the bigger frigates (I mostly stay in fighter-type ships), though I use one to haul around my crew; I actually couldn't wait to get into one of those just so I could have the feeling of pointing these giant cannons at an enemy and just laying waste to everything.

Oh, there's a nifty feature in the game that speeds up time. If you've got AI wingmen floating about...be careful. The AI gets pretty dumb when time flows by at super speeds.

Uhm...this covers most things, I think.

tl;dr: if interested in a 4X space ship with combat game, grab X3: Terran Conflict.[/QUOTE]

): You made me buy more games and spend money I shouldn't use.

I picked up Terraria for $2.50, I was on the fence but it seems to be a steal at that price. I'm thinking about getting Sam & Max, Supreme Commander 2, Dead Space and Prince of Persia...

[quote name='bantheradio']Caved and bought Terraria.

Also ended up buying Fate of the World because I missed it during the daily deal.[/QUOTE]

Huh, what day was that a daily deal? I must have missed it.

[quote name='Stry-ker']To anyone that has bought the Hitman pack, are the older games worth going back to play. I know alot of people say the newer one is worth the play through[/QUOTE]

Hitman 2: Silent Assassin was my first Hitman game.
It was great.

Steam doesn't sell Contracts, for some reason.

Blood Money is great, as well.

This sale has been scorching my credit card. So far, I've grabbed AVP, Alpha Protocol, Amnesia, BFBC2, Beat Hazard, Borderlands (have retail, but the offered GOTY was cheaper than buying any single DLC pack from 2K Games), COD4: MW, Deus Ex 1 & 2, Oblivion Deluxe, Hydrophobia, Serious Sam HD 1&2, Trine & Mass Effect 1 (have ME CE for 360, but wanted to play through on PC to import the save into ME2 CE for PC)

Today, I'll probably have to go for Portal 2 by itself, I already own HL2 + Orange Box + L4D 1 & 2, all retail. Otherwise, the Valve pack would have been nice. I do find the id Super Pack tempting, however. I was also hoping for a 75%-off sale on Riddick: Dark Athena, but I might be better off on consoles for that anyhow.

[quote name='gunm']Got NWN2 platinum so far. Not sure about Hitman BM and Terraria...[/QUOTE]
Hitman: Blood Money is great.
Hitman: BM and SA are the best ones in the franchise, if you ask me.

[quote name='gregnied']How are the PoP games with M&K controls?[/QUOTE]

Played Sands of Time on kb/m back in the day - I loved every second of it. I'm on the fence of snagging the pack since I got caught up in other games and never finished any of the other games. You shouldn't have any trouble with kb/m.

Most expensive Steam sale ever for me (and I've followed every one)! I hit about $120 catching up on games I haven't bought in the past. Luckily the Thanksgiving and Winter sale should be light since I've picked up most of the big games I've been looking for.

[quote name='KingofGames']Has the game been less than $5? A 75% discount on a highly regarded game should be plenty for even the cheapest of cheap asses.[/QUOTE]

I'd prefer to spend $27 on a pack of 3 Assassin's Creed games than spend $5 on Amnesia. It's called valuing the games you want, and it's something every CAG should do. If Amnesia was $2.50, I would have considered it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back