Steam+ Deals Mega Thread (All PC Gaming Deals)

Neuro5i5

CAGiversary!
Feedback
151 (100%)
This thread will attempt to provide a place to discuss past/present/future PC gaming deals. While mainly focusing on Steam games, any standout sales may also be presented. I will not be updating every Daily/Weekly/etc. sale. The tools to help individuals become a smarter shopper will be provided below.

See this POST for links to store sale pages, threads of interest and other tools to help you become a more informed PC game shopper.

Last edited:
It's Tomasety. Don't expect him to make sense. Unless it's about penis.

Probably some dumbass CAG herpdeederpdy superstitious crap about hey I bought these games so it's a sacrifice and magically makes the universe bundle them cheaper and it's totally not because they're old and the publisher just wants to try to package them up and sell more or anything.

So i finished the main quest in Dragon Age Inquistion, and I've played more than enough to fully form my opinion on the game...which is somewhere between my first two posts where I bashed it and gushed about it. There is more than enough to do, but unfortunately I'd say if you try to do everything the majority of your time will be running around on fairly uninteresting fetch quests. The best side quests, with a few exceptions, do come from your companions, but aside from a few exceptions they tend to be pretty short.

The combat tries to be best of both worlds in terms of being casual enough for anybody a la Dragon Age 2 while also retaining the tactical based combat of DA:O, and really it mostly fails. It's not horrible but it's not good, either. The story is engaging enough to be interesting, there's definitely more mystery and intrigue overall than the first game, and I don't remember a whole lot about the plot from the second game so I'm assuming it's better than that one also. Crafting/modifying equipment is whatever. Personally I don't like when games have crafting, it winds up mostly nullifying the powerful in game weapons you find and lessens the importance/excitement that comes along with completing a quest or opening up a chest and finding a unique weapon (this was a big qualm I have with skyrim...crafting renders any daedric artifacts you find pretty useless).

The game looks great. Lots of varied locales. The dragon fights are really cool. I do think how dragon age has the semi-open world makes the game seem more repetitive than it is, if it was just one large world that was like "collect all shards" it wouldn't seem as repetitive because it's just one quest, but if you finish everything in one zone and move onto the next all of a sudden you get a bunch of the exact same quests you had (collect shards, find regions, find landmarks, close rifts, etc). If it was a seamless world that had the same combat approach as DA:O, with more side quests with an actual semi-plot line to them, I think it'd be an all time great game. As is it's like an 8.25/10. Really good game and great way to waste 100 hours or so but flawed.

Last edited by a moderator:
Personally I don't like when games have crafting, it winds up mostly nullifying the powerful in game weapons you find and lessens the importance/excitement that comes along with completing a quest or opening up a chest and finding a unique weapon (this was a big qualm I have with skyrim...crafting renders any daedric artifacts you find pretty useless).
That's a fair point. I thought some people were being a bit overwrought when they'd say the system was too complicated or whatever but it definitely does trivialize basically anything that drops, even the purple dragon gear. The only drops I ever used were jewelry (which you can't craft) and I think a couple of mage hats. Sometimes I'd get a staff that was good for a few levels before I crafted an upgrade.

Compounding this, is that the crafting system is easy to game. Unlock Emprise du Lion, have infinite supply of Tier 3 leather and metal, safe for even a low level character to collect. No, you don't "have" to do it but the point remains that the game is pretty unbalanced in that regard.

The game itself I enjoyed. I think 8/10 is a fair rating. Fun and worthwhile to play but not 100% there.

It's Tomasety. Don't expect him to make sense. Unless it's about penis.

Probably some dumbass CAG herpdeederpdy superstitious crap about hey I bought these games so it's a sacrifice and magically makes the universe bundle them cheaper and it's totally not because they're old and the publisher just wants to try to package them up and sell more or anything.
But, but but... I thought the world revolved around CAG?

That's a fair point. I thought some people were being a bit overwrought when they'd say the system was too complicated or whatever but it definitely does trivialize basically anything that drops, even the purple dragon gear. The only drops I ever used were jewelry (which you can't craft) and I think a couple of mage hats. Sometimes I'd get a staff that was good for a few levels before I crafted an upgrade.

Compounding this, is that the crafting system is easy to game. Unlock Emprise du Lion, have infinite supply of Tier 3 leather and metal, safe for even a low level character to collect. No, you don't "have" to do it but the point remains that the game is pretty unbalanced in that regard.

The game itself I enjoyed. I think 8/10 is a fair rating. Fun and worthwhile to play but not 100% there.
yeah, the crafting is a bit more in depth than other games (like skyrim or fallout 4) but by no means too complicated to figure out within 3 minutes of tinkering or so. But yeah, I've killed 7 dragons and I don't think I've actually used any of the gear for myself. I wind up using it to equip companions that I never use. To me if you're gonna make crafting broken build it into a skill tree at least so you're sacrificing points you would put into other specializations to get the broken equipment

Any of them have solid campaigns like WaW or CoD: Modern Warfare or is it all just by the number mailed in affairs?
I really enjoyed the first two Black Ops campaigns personally, and I think the general consensus is that those two along with MW2 are the best in the series. I also enjoyed the campaign in Ghosts though it's one of the worst ports of all time, and the multiplayer maps are abysmal unless you get the season pass, which nobody else has on PC.

Advanced Warfare had a very lackluster campaign surprisingly, even with Kevin Spacey. I guess they figured they could sell it on his name alone. Though I really enjoyed the multiplayer in that one. The jetpacks made things super chaotic and fun, and I felt like I was playing an arena shooter with one hit kills.

I'm still on the fence with both the campaign and multiplayer in Black Ops 3. I'm also getting really, really sick of military shooters at this point so I don't think I gave it much of a chance. I just remember they tried to be super deep and intellectual with the story but it felt more like they borrowed ideas from DBZ rather than Hitchcock.

There are too many shooters to play all the good ones.  Really wish the American public would stop buying so much of it, so that companies would start diversifying their game development.

There are too many shooters to play all the good ones. Really wish the American public would stop buying so much of it, so that companies would start diversifying their game development.
this is kind of an outdated complaint. Shooters don't seem to be nearly as prevalent as they were a few years ago. Off the top of my head the only high profile shooter i can think of that's been released this year is doom. And the shooters that get released every year (cod, battlefield) are at least releasing games that look different this year. I guess it depends how you define a shooter though. If you consider anything with fps controls to be a shooter then i guess you can loop games like far cry primal and overwatch in but those aren't what i think of when i hear the word fps or shooter

The last time I played a Cow-a-Doody game, I had to stop halfway through the campaign because I had school in the morning.

OHHHH HEADSHOT

yeah, the crafting is a bit more in depth than other games (like skyrim or fallout 4) but by no means too complicated to figure out within 3 minutes of tinkering or so.
The conversation usually went like this:

"It sucks that in DA:I you can't increase your characters strength, intelligence, etc as you level up"

"Have you tried making gear? You can select materials to increase your stats"

"No, the crafting system is too complicated and doesn't tell you enough"

"The UI could be cleaner and better but it's not bad; it tells you what the results will be right on screen. Plus, it's really the way you increase stats. When your rogue is level 15 and has two +20 Dex daggers, that's how you get a rogue with 40+ Dex"

"No, it's too hard and I just want to use dropped gear and they should level me raise my stats when I level"

Some people are just REALLY adverse to crafting for some reason and I think the "It's too hard" is mainly to justify their complaints.

99% of games are lolretro bullet-hell indie platformers.

Or maybe 99% of games are weeaboo RPG-maker garbage and titty visual novels

Or maybe 99% of games are stupid point & click adventures and over-hyped Telltale junk

Anyway, the point is that 99% of games are garbage I don't want to play so they suck.

Blops 3 campaign gets a thumbs up from me because when you shoot the robots there are sparks and explosions.
And the powers they give you make it feel sort of Bioshocky. Totally a blasphemous statement there, but it was kind of neat.

this is kind of an outdated complaint. Shooters don't seem to be nearly as prevalent as they were a few years ago. Off the top of my head the only high profile shooter i can think of that's been released this year is doom. And the shooters that get released every year (cod, battlefield) are at least releasing games that look different this year. I guess it depends how you define a shooter though. If you consider anything with fps controls to be a shooter then i guess you can loop games like far cry primal and overwatch in but those aren't what i think of when i hear the word fps or shooter
Don't be fooled by the new CoD trailer. It will be the same crap. The last couple of years they've shocked people at E3 by releasing footage of the intro mission or an interlude mission in the game to make it seem like it's different, when really that's only 5% of the game.

Battlefield on the other hand I think holds promise. I'm just not a Battlefield fan. It's not quite fast-paced enough for me.

Really? Doom, Battleborn, Overwatch, The Division, Homefront, Farcry Primal have been released so far this year. That doesn't begin to address the annual iterations of things like CoD, Battlefield, a couple Tom Clancy games, Titanfall 2, Destiny ex-pac, and a bunch of new and lesser-known IPs that aren't worth mentioning.

I play and enjoy shooters just as much as the next guy. It's not a complaint, more of an observation. Shooters are more prevalent then ever, and that's AAA development money that could be used for other interesting things. That's all.

Really? Doom, Battleborn, Overwatch, The Division, Homefront, Farcry Primal have been released so far this year. That doesn't begin to address the annual iterations of things like CoD, Battlefield, a couple Tom Clancy games, Titanfall 2, and a bunch of new and lesser-known IPs that aren't worth mentioning.

I play and enjoy shooters just as much as the next guy. It's not a complaint, more of an observation. Shooters are more prevalent then ever, and that's AAA development money that could be used for other interesting things.
I agree we need more variety. I'm hopeful that Yooka-Laylee will be released and totally blow the minds of every gamer in the world to the point where we start getting something different, but I don't see that happening. Until then, if we can at least get more story-driven FPS games like Bioshock, I'll be happy enough.

There are too many shooters to play all the good ones. Really wish the American public would stop buying so much of it, so that companies would start diversifying their game development.
I'm gonna go ahead and blame people who game on consoles for this one. You're welcome.

So i finished the main quest in Dragon Age Inquistion, and I've played more than enough to fully form my opinion on the game...which is somewhere between my first two posts where I bashed it and gushed about it. There is more than enough to do, but unfortunately I'd say if you try to do everything the majority of your time will be running around on fairly uninteresting fetch quests. The best side quests, with a few exceptions, do come from your companions, but aside from a few exceptions they tend to be pretty short.

The combat tries to be best of both worlds in terms of being casual enough for anybody a la Dragon Age 2 while also retaining the tactical based combat of DA:O, and really it mostly fails. It's not horrible but it's not good, either. The story is engaging enough to be interesting, there's definitely more mystery and intrigue overall than the first game, and I don't remember a whole lot about the plot from the second game so I'm assuming it's better than that one also. Crafting/modifying equipment is whatever. Personally I don't like when games have crafting, it winds up mostly nullifying the powerful in game weapons you find and lessens the importance/excitement that comes along with completing a quest or opening up a chest and finding a unique weapon (this was a big qualm I have with skyrim...crafting renders any daedric artifacts you find pretty useless).

The game looks great. Lots of varied locales. The dragon fights are really cool. I do think how dragon age has the semi-open world makes the game seem more repetitive than it is, if it was just one large world that was like "collect all shards" it wouldn't seem as repetitive because it's just one quest, but if you finish everything in one zone and move onto the next all of a sudden you get a bunch of the exact same quests you had (collect shards, find regions, find landmarks, close rifts, etc). If it was a seamless world that had the same combat approach as DA:O, with more side quests with an actual semi-plot line to them, I think it'd be an all time great game. As is it's like an 8.25/10. Really good game and great way to waste 100 hours or so but flawed.
I have a hard time complaining about games having "too much to do." While I understand your point about a lot of the content in different regions being same-y, I haven't really seen where this isn't true in many other games, and to me, the only way they could have gotten away with changing that up is by either stripping some of the bits of their meaning (the rift-closing is somewhat integral to the main story) or by dropping them altogether (but some people like getting points/credit/renown/whatever for exploring an entire map). I don't see this as a flaw in the game, really; the devs are giving you a bunch of stuff to do and you can do it or not do it. If I wanted to grouse about that, I could lay the same complaints at the feet of The Witcher 3 and Skyrim. Why do I have to play all of these different merchants in different areas to get gwent cards? What about all of these monster nests and bandit camps? Why do I have to kill a bunch of people for the Dark Brotherhood? I think every modern open-world RPG has crafting and collecting elements; whether that's a good thing or not is debatable, but what's not debatable is that they're generally optional. Unless your OCD is overwhelming, it's safe to ignore stuff you don't like. For me, that's generally crafting. I'll craft a nice weapon or piece of armor if I don't have to work too hard at it, but I'm not going to go out of my way to obsess over Dragon Age's crafting system or any other one.

I also fall into the camp of people who generally do most everything available in an RPG, with a few exceptions. I played out every questline I could find in DA:I and Skyrim. I'm pretty much doing the same thing in The Witcher 3. As a rule, I don't bother with in-game games (I couldn't be bothered with the dice game in the previous games), but gwent is actually one of the more accessible and interesting variants on a CCG that I've seen in or out of another game. I usually don't do races, but because I've acquired some of the better saddles already just by wandering around and killing stuff, I may run that quest chain too. I have no trouble believing at this point that I'll put over 200 hours into The Witcher 3's base game. The down side to doing anything and everything that you can in games like these is that, and I'm finding this to be an issue where I'm currently probably less than halfway through with TW3, you can easily overlevel content, which makes it no less interesting but somewhat or substantially less rewarding.

Anyway, back to DA:I, the combat was indeed a hybrid between the two and it was still a bit twitchy, but at least most of the encounters you had were fixed, instead of the AI just throwing waves of enemies at you the way DA2 did. There was some room for tactical engagement but it was mostly just spamming your default attack while waiting for the cooldowns on your more powerful abilities. BioWare could have gone back to DA:O's combat, but they won't, because, well, see my first response in this post.

Every year I spend thousands of hours playing and enjoying great games that aren't shooters, and this year is no exception. I have such a huge backlog of non-shooter games to play that I probably won't ever get around to doing anything good with my life at all. Ever!

The "too many shooters" argument is just full of holes and people trying to defend it ran out of ammo years ago and should probably aim their sites elsewhere if they feel like making a stand.

Thanks warreni for the MysterDissertation
keepin-it-real-quiet-because-your-mom-is-taking-a-nap.jpg

You got it, my toasta!

The conversation usually went like this:

"It sucks that in DA:I you can't increase your characters strength, intelligence, etc as you level up"

"Have you tried making gear? You can select materials to increase your stats"

"No, the crafting system is too complicated and doesn't tell you enough"

"The UI could be cleaner and better but it's not bad; it tells you what the results will be right on screen. Plus, it's really the way you increase stats. When your rogue is level 15 and has two +20 Dex daggers, that's how you get a rogue with 40+ Dex"

"No, it's too hard and I just want to use dropped gear and they should level me raise my stats when I level"

Some people are just REALLY adverse to crafting for some reason and I think the "It's too hard" is mainly to justify their complaints.
This is totally me. The reason I tend to dislike RPGs of any kind. Even the loot drops are too complicated for me. I'm a simple man. Give me a gun, does it shoot better than the last one? If not, on to the next one. Am I hurt? I need armor or milk or whatever. Drink it and move on. RPGs give me headaches with their color coded items and items that look the same but do different things and vests of this or that or belts of whatever that give you more health but takeaway sass, etc.

Really? Doom, Battleborn, Overwatch, The Division, Homefront, Farcry Primal have been released so far this year. That doesn't begin to address the annual iterations of things like CoD, Battlefield, a couple Tom Clancy games, Titanfall 2, Destiny ex-pac, and a bunch of new and lesser-known IPs that aren't worth mentioning.

I play and enjoy shooters just as much as the next guy. It's not a complaint, more of an observation. Shooters are more prevalent then ever, and that's AAA development money that could be used for other interesting things. That's all.
You can't seriously group all those games together and just say "too many shooters." Even within sub genres (MMO Shooters for example) you have vastly different play styles and experiences. But I guess derps will derp. 2 many zombeeez. 2 many survivalz. 2 many shooterz. We need more variety! (While ignoring the endless amount of different games you'll never have time to play in your entire life).

Should I play Dragon Age if I've never played it? It sounds fun.

Thanks warreni for the MysterDissertation
notsurifsirius.gif but if you like story based RPGs it's one of the better recentish ones with AAA production values. It's a huge time sink though so if 100+ hours doesn't really sound like your thang you may want to hold off.

Then again I am talking to the person who put 100 hours into Crush Crush.

notsurifsirius.gif but if you like story based RPGs it's one of the better recentish ones with AAA production values. It's a huge time sink though so if 100+ hours doesn't really sound like your thang you may want to hold off.

Then again I am talking to the person who put 100 hours into Crush Crush.
I just wanted to prevent the autism spectrum from swallowing this thread again. I might play it since I sunk over 1300 hours into competitive MP for Valve 4 Shooter 2, which is decidedly more of a waste of time than idling for Bearverly boobs.

warning: long rant ahead

I guess you didn't read the part of my post that said "things like overwatch and far cry primal were released but that's not what i think of when i think of shooters, so part of this comes down to personal discretion." Or the part where I mentioned cod and battlefield. Or probably anything past my first sentence apparently. I don't even consider half the games you mentioned above to be "shooters," sure, shooting is the primary combat mechanic, but that really negates everything else going on in those games as having any sort of importance. Destiny/Titanfall/Overwatch/Battleborn/Far Cry have shooting in them but they are extremely different experiences than Call of Duty. I'm also not sure how "there are too many shooters, it takes away from other games" isn't a complaint as it inherently requires you to be unhappy with the way aaa budgets/projects are delegated. but this is such a hollow complaint, you can spread this to nearly any genre if you dig far enough....

"far cry primal, no mans sky, mirrors edge, witcher 3 expansion, firewatch, etc...too many open world games"

"dark souls 3, deus ex, final fantasy XV, banner saga 2, technomancer, grim dawn, fo4/witcher 3 expansions, etc...too many rpgs"

"xcom 2, total war, banner saga 2, civ VI, hearts of iron, cossacks, etc...too many strategy games"

"inside, unravel, ratchet and clank, mighty no 9, angry video game nerd adventures 2, last guardian....too many platformers"

"american truck simulator, eurotruck simulator, farm simulator, ship simulator, simulator simulator...too many simulators"

Honestly this is probably as diverse a moment to be a gamer of all time. Sure, games where you shoot in some capacity are popular, but thanks to kickstarter/indie older genres (rts, infinity engine style rpgs, etc) are experiencing a renaissance, some of which has carried into aaa. There are always going to be times where one genre is most popular due to an extremely popular game (when the "too many shooters" complaint really was somewhat realistic, it wasn't even that there were too many shooters...there were too many military style CoD clones)...look at the mid 90s, Doom clones were everywhere. And if you think the alleged shooter dominance now is bad, look back at nes/snes era games, it must've been like 90% platformers. Anymore if you can think of a game you can play it. Heck virtual reality is getting popular; not only is every game genre i can think of wel represented, but there are different ways you can even experience the games now. I just don't think the "there are too many of this game" complaint holds any merit right now.

I was talking about AAA game budgets, and unit sales reflecting which future games the large publishers decide to fund. 

but anyways, here's my three page essay on how much your post sucks.

RE: crafting stuff in rpg games

While Fallout 4's crafting is simplistic, it does allow drops to be meaningful since you can upgrade legendary weapons to be equal to their normal counterparts while keeping their legendary effect.

If they can ramp that up a bit for Oblivirim VI, say maybe tiered legendary effects or stacking legendary effects on higher level gear, I would be pleased.

RE: crafting stuff in rpg games

While Fallout 4's crafting is simplistic, it does allow drops to be meaningful since you can upgrade legendary weapons to be equal to their normal counterparts while keeping their legendary effect.

If they can ramp that up a bit for Oblivirim VI, say maybe tiered legendary effects or stacking legendary effects on higher level gear, I would be pleased.
Well, you can always go play an actual MMO if you think the crafting systems in single-player games are too straightforward and simple. :whistle2:

Humble Bundle Store has free weekends now.

https://www.humblebundle.com/store/sid-meiers-civilization-beyond-earth

You have to download an .exe file. ~5MB.

After Fallout Shelter exclusive release on Bethesda's launcher I think we often might see free weekends and such things outside steam.

Edit. I saw on reddit that it requires a free account on https://www.gamesessions.com/en
Ain't nobody got time fo' dat! Streaming demos?! What is this, OnLive?

I was talking about AAA game budgets, and unit sales reflecting which future games the large publishers decide to fund.

but anyways, here's my three page essay on how much your post sucks:

Somebody go to Nothing's house and make sure he didn't go into cardiac arrest. He didn't finish his wall of text.

Heck virtual reality is getting popular; not only is every game genre i can think of wel represented, but there are different ways you can even experience the games now. I just don't think the "there are too many of this game" complaint holds any merit right now. [/spoiler]
Yep, definitely too many VR games out there. Where's my pitchfork?

Let's go back to the PS2/Gamecube days where everything was a 3rd person action RPG platformer.
Never! I'd rather be forced to play The Bard's Tale on an Apple II until the end of time. . . .

but anyways, here's my three page essay on how much your post sucks:
I think this is relevant.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XKpgfBJ708A

Seasonal Poll:

About to hit 4000 in my backlog looking to fakeybro big so... 

Deus Ex: Mankind Divided

or 

No Man’s Sky

P.S. Have gaben bux so only from steam if you want to make other recommendations.

Dues Ex without question if it has to be between those two.

Just say no to $60 indie title that nobody knows anything about.

bread's done
Back