Steam+ Deals Mega Thread (All PC Gaming Deals)

Neuro5i5

CAGiversary!
Feedback
151 (100%)
This thread will attempt to provide a place to discuss past/present/future PC gaming deals. While mainly focusing on Steam games, any standout sales may also be presented. I will not be updating every Daily/Weekly/etc. sale. The tools to help individuals become a smarter shopper will be provided below.

See this POST for links to store sale pages, threads of interest and other tools to help you become a more informed PC game shopper.

Last edited:
I doubt it is a big step up from a 770. 770 is kinda old @ 3 generations back but it was a high end card in its day.
770 vs. 1050 Ti:

http://hwbench.com/vgas/geforce-gtx-1050-ti-vs-geforce-gtx-770

Doesn't look like much difference performance-wise, TBH.

The biggest difference could be VRAM numbers here, depending on what version of 770 was purchase.

@Nothing

Did you get the 2GB 770 or 4GB 770?

If one got the 4GB 770 - eh, 1050 Ti also has 4GB of VRAM.

Last edited by a moderator:
Really, about 5 years ago I sold the physical copy of my favorite game ever, Star Trek Bridge Commander(the mods!), in hopes Excalibur would come out soon. Yeah, that'll probably release the day after FF Versus XIII comes out :lol:

I'm good for a while, just bought Just Cause 3 a few days ago.
Umm, FF Versus XIII came out on November 29, 2016 (of course re-named as FF XV).

At $125 the 1050 is awfully tempting, but I'm sitting at only 1GB VRAM on my 7850 right now.  Also need to consider a processor upgrade to something with more than two (really fast tho) cores.  The only reason I'm doing OK on games (and not on the newest) is that I'm using a 1680X1050 monitor.  (Hey, my old one died and this was $20 on craigslist.  I'm holding out for a sub-$40 23"+ 1080p on Craigslist for a replacement.)

At $125 the 1050 is awfully tempting, but I'm sitting at only 1GB VRAM on my 7850 right now. Also need to consider a processor upgrade to something with more than two (really fast tho) cores. The only reason I'm doing OK on games (and not on the newest) is that I'm using a 1680X1050 monitor. (Hey, my old one died and this was $20 on craigslist. I'm holding out for a sub-$40 23"+ 1080p on Craigslist for a replacement.)
u could save more money by just staying at 720P resolution. :D/

Thanks to the magic of alternative facts it doesn't matter which one you buy because they're both just as good and they're both actually the same thing, and in fact you already own them both and your current card is the best card available anyways and you're really really great, too!

Seems like Yahoo forced a password change for me... but they don't check the new password against the old. 

Nice job Yahoo.

I doubt it is a big step up from a 770. 770 is kinda old @ 3 generations back but it was a high end card in its day.
Still using my 770 and have yet to run across a game it can't run at mid/high settings. Of course, I don't play much brand new AAA stuff.

770 vs. 1050 Ti:

http://hwbench.com/vgas/geforce-gtx-1050-ti-vs-geforce-gtx-770

Doesn't look like much difference performance-wise, TBH.

The biggest difference could be VRAM numbers here, depending on what version of 770 was purchase.

@Nothing

Did you get the 2GB 770 or 4GB 770?

If one got the 4GB 770 - eh, 1050 Ti also has 4GB of VRAM.
Well that is illuminating. I guess it's time to save up for something better, maybe wait to buy a card until I do a new pc build. At this point my i5-3570k processor is gong to bottleneck me with a giant step up to the 1070 card. I spent around ~$1200 and built a nice computer six years ago. My how the time flies. Feels like I just spent that money.

You're on top of the world for 2 years maybe and then you just suck after that. It's expensive to stay cutting edge.

Well that is illuminating. I guess it's time to save up for something better, maybe wait to buy a card until I do a new pc build. At this point my i5-3570k processor is gong to bottleneck me with a giant step up to the 1070 card. I spent around ~$1200 and built a nice computer six years ago. My how the time flies. Feels like I just spent that money.

You're on top of the world for 2 years maybe and then you just suck after that. It's expensive to stay cutting edge.
Honestly, I don't think the i5 3570 will be such a bottleneck. I run the same CPU. Pretty sure processors are not that much faster these days. Unless someone can show me different, I will continue to believe a CPU upgrade is not money well spent at this point. You should be able to use a 1070 or 1080 with that CPU.

I really doubt your 3570 is bottlenecking anything. The closest thing that may bottleneck is a sandybridge era processor like the 2500/2600k, both me and a friend had one and had to OC them and immediately got an extra 10% fps when using 970's however neither of us had pegged cpu usage. It was more that those processors combined with their era of motherboards were slowing things down, not the processor itself. So if a 2600k OC'd would only pull an extra 10%, I seriously doubt a 3570 is bottlenecking anything

-

and ninja'd a sec early :)

anyways, IMHO the real reason to do a proc upgrade should be wanting mobo features, even a 2600k is a more than viable gaming processor 6 years later (thats why I just threw the old setup in an htpc case and made a steambox). That was the main reason I went 2600->6700. The usb3 support on z68 mobo's was horrible at best, plus as mentioned the rest of the mobo can start to drag things down, especially if you want to move on to VR

It's not that bad. My processor (i7-860 oc'd @ 3.6GHz) is from 2009 and my 290X is from 2013 and my system still handles stuff. I thought my processor might be to blame for hitches in Battlefield 1 the other day but it turns out that BF1 just has terrible DX12 implementation (AMD cards have been handling DX12 better than Nvidia but BF1 just sucks all around).

I'd say that a decent system today will last someone longer and have less frequent component turnover than at any previous point in PC gaming.

It's not that bad. My processor (i7-860 oc'd @ 3.6GHz) is from 2009 and my 290X is from 2013 and my system still handles stuff. I thought my processor might be to blame for hitches in Battlefield 1 the other day but it turns out that BF1 just has terrible DX12 implementation (AMD cards have been handling DX12 better than Nvidia but BF1 just sucks all around).

I'd say that a decent system today will last someone longer and have less frequent component turnover than at any previous point in PC gaming.
Yep, I was still running an i5-2500k and a 580 up until late last year when Best Buy had a price mistake on the 1080. Had no real complaints either.

I think thats a different Ic(e)y?
No, he meant the one he linked. Fox and I both played it and thought it was entertaining/interesting enough for the price in a "old narrative RPG" sort of way. Of course, I think both of us soon got distracted and never returned so, uh, enjoy the first 90min I guess.

No, he meant the one he linked. Fox and I both played it and thought it was entertaining/interesting enough for the price in a "interactive novel meets Wasteland" sort of way. Of course, I think both of us soon got distracted and never returned so, uh, enjoy the first 90min I guess.
"Got distracted, never returned" pretty much describes 90% of the games I play.

made a trip to the goodwill store today?
No, that'll be later this week to drop off the 27'' Tube TV that the 32" is replacing. Got the new one at Best Buy, which is coincidentally where I bought the old one. Old one was $127 13 years ago and still works. New one was only $75 after Visa Checkout coupon, but I doubt it'll still be working in 13 years.

repost in honor of the news today regarding Trump and the TPP

New%20Bitmap%20Image_zpszh5y5yjx.png

No, that'll be later this week to drop off the 27'' Tube TV that the 32" is replacing. Got the new one at Best Buy, which is coincidentally where I bought the old one. Old one was $127 13 years ago and still works. New one was only $75 after Visa Checkout coupon, but I doubt it'll still be working in 13 years.
well maybe you will get lucky and find some hard drives or ram when you drop off the crt.

Honestly, I don't think the i5 3570 will be such a bottleneck. I run the same CPU. Pretty sure processors are not that much faster these days. Unless someone can show me different, I will continue to believe a CPU upgrade is not money well spent at this point. You should be able to use a 1070 or 1080 with that CPU.
I run the same processor still. It won't bottleneck anything, since the new processors are really not much faster. The newest Intel processors are shown to only to be faster because they're essentially overclocked. They're only as fast as last generations, which aren't much faster than Ivy Bridges. Ten percent, at best.

Edit: It's actually closer to 15% faster. But still.

I bought that i5 3750 the very week it came out in June 2012 at Microcenter.  It turned out to be one of the best pc component investments I've ever made.  I upgraded to my 770 during a lull in GPU releases about 2.5 years ago which turned out to be one of the worst investments ever.  It's amazing how much timing has to do with longevity when you're buying parts. 

I'm still rocking an i7-2600k + 32gb ram with a rx460/8gb with no issues. Outside of late game civ, it's unlikely you'll be cpu limited by anything.

I bought that i5 3750 the very week it came out in June 2012 at Microcenter. It turned out to be one of the best pc component investments I've ever made. I upgraded to my 770 during a lull in GPU releases about 2.5 years ago which turned out to be one of the worst investments ever. It's amazing how much timing has to do with longevity when you're buying parts.
Man, I still love my i5 3750K in my current Dec. 2012 PC build. Damn, I can't believe my PC is that old already. Time flies when you're backlogging.

I started with a Sapphire HD 9750, and then upgraded to a Sapphire nitro R9 390 over a year ago when I also decided to OC the 3750K to a comfortable 4GHz. I noticed a 20-25% fps increase and no bottle-necking to my relief. I don't run games at anything above or below 1080p while targeting at least a smooth 60 fps w/ high settings, and I'm fine with that until I build another PC aimed at 4K down the road. Games like DOOM, Fallout 4, Mafia III, The Division, Arkham Knight, Tomb Raider, and Titanfall 2 all run great. Suffice to say it's been a great processor and has exceeded my expectations.

At $125 the 1050 is awfully tempting, but I'm sitting at only 1GB VRAM on my 7850 right now. Also need to consider a processor upgrade to something with more than two (really fast tho) cores. The only reason I'm doing OK on games (and not on the newest) is that I'm using a 1680X1050 monitor. (Hey, my old one died and this was $20 on craigslist. I'm holding out for a sub-$40 23"+ 1080p on Craigslist for a replacement.)
Depends on what games you want to play.

If you're looking for some of the newer AAA games, you will likely need at least 2GB of VRAM - i.e. Witcher 3; ACU + ACS; Dishonored 2; Batman AK; Mad Max game; etc.

I'm still rocking an i7-2600k + 32gb ram with a rx460/8gb with no issues. Outside of late game civ, it's unlikely you'll be cpu limited by anything.
I'm still using my old i7 950 Bloomfield for a CPU here.

I also have 16 GB RAM DDR3 + 3.5GB 970 + W7 64-bit here.

Most games, are a breeze at 1080p for 60FPS at High to Ultra w/ these specs.

Once we get into 1200p, 1440p, or 4K territory - that's when the graphical settings and/or framerate might not be as strong as it normally would be at 1080p.

dancing Y.gif
So Old Doom doesn't look so damn pixelated; especially out in the distance.

And especially when you have a big screen w/ a high-res like I do - i.e. 27'' 4K screen.

Grab a Source Port; crank up the res; and crank-up all the crazy AA's settings through the roof on those old games.

I just bought a 32" 720p TV for my Wii/PS2/XBox360. #Retro
Do you plan to use that 32'' 720p TV on the Nintendo Switch, too?

I'm still using my old i7 950 Bloomfield for a CPU here.

I also have 16 GB RAM DDR3 + 3.5GB 970 + W7 64-bit here.

Most games, are a breeze at 1080p for 60FPS at High to Ultra w/ these specs.

Once we get into 1200p, 1440p, or 4K territory - that's when the graphical settings and/or framerate might not be as strong as it normally would be at 1080p.

So Old Doom doesn't look so damn pixelated; especially out in the distance.

And especially when you have a big screen w/ a high-res like I do - i.e. 27'' 4K screen.

Grab a Source Port; crank up the res; and crank-up all the crazy AA's settings through the roof on those old games.

Do you plan to use that 32'' 720p TV on the Nintendo Switch, too?
Bro, it's going to be like a year or two before I even get a Wii U, let alone a Switch.

I dunno, I've been on this same PC since 2011.

I've done a few necessary upgrades that I felt I needed, when I needed them - i.e. RAM (from 8GB to 16GB RAM) + video cards (started w/ 1GB 560 Ti on this PC; upgraded to 4GB 960 for around $204 in Mid-2015; then upgraded dirt-cheap to a 970 for $100 in Late Summer 2016).

Even did the unnecessary, but awesome upgrade to 27'' 4K monitor ($250 before using GC money + before tax). Glad I did it, too - love 4K for the amount of space on the desktop; and love being able to run games somewhere above 1080p (i.e. 1200p, 1440p, or even the rare 4K here).

bread's done
Back