Steam+ Deals Mega Thread (All PC Gaming Deals)

Neuro5i5

CAGiversary!
Feedback
151 (100%)
This thread will attempt to provide a place to discuss past/present/future PC gaming deals. While mainly focusing on Steam games, any standout sales may also be presented. I will not be updating every Daily/Weekly/etc. sale. The tools to help individuals become a smarter shopper will be provided below.

See this POST for links to store sale pages, threads of interest and other tools to help you become a more informed PC game shopper.

Last edited:
LG: Arguably in the top three, but I've never been a fan of LG. They have some crazy high end stuff, but from low to high I've never been a fan of the picture quality. At a glance LG displays are really vibrant, but they also have very muddled colors and lower contrast/detail. Set side by side with a Samsung or Sony, the difference is pretty clear (even OLEDs suffer from this from what I've seen). That said, they're still decent and they have some good deals here and there. The construction quality is also pretty good and most of them feel like pretty quality TVs, I just have never been a fan because of the subpar picture.
+1 on avoiding LG's low end. Because of my work I end up with alot of tv's on my desk and currently have a lower end LG 4k 40in. It has some of the worst quality for non-4k content Ive ever seen. It looks much much worse than the older 1080p60 tv (like 7+ year old) for standard tv content, anything other than 4k content looks like pure ass on it.

Samsung/sony/vizio all usually pretty good, but samsung always has firmware bug issues that they never fix, we are always having to come up with work arounds to fix their busted ass firmware that they dont fix until the next TV revision. Their pic quality is usually great though

Last edited by a moderator:
+1 on avoiding LG's low end. Because of my work I end up with alot of tv's on my desk and currently have a lower end LG 4k 40in. It has some of the worst quality for non-4k content Ive ever seen. It looks much much worse than my 1080p60 tv for standard tv content, anything other than 4k content looks like pure ass on it.

Samsung/sony/vizio all usually pretty good, but samsung always has firmware bug issues that they never fix, we are always having to come up with work arounds to fix their busted ass firmware that they dont fix until the next TV revision. Their pic quality is usually great though
Yeah, I do recall a lot of the new models coming with USB drives to fix whatever issues they shipped with. It's annoying, but it's still hard to recommend anything over Samsung.

I used to sell TVs years ago and knew just about everything about the market. Then I quit and erased most of it from my memory because I hated it.

Vizio: I don't know quite as much about these as others (my store didn't stock Vizio for some reason, even though we carried Sony), but last I knew, they're Sony's bargain brand. If you want a cheap 4K, Vizios are probably your best option. I've heard people hate on Vizios, but my family had one for close to a decade that never really had any issues. Picture seems to be a little more washed out and not as vibrant as the top companies from what I've seen, but they're probably the top of the cheaper brands.

As far as gaming and graphics goes, there's not much difference between the two. It's console plebbery, they're running cheapie hardware, typically running games at 30fps, you know the drill. Xbone has backwards compatibility like you mentioned, and they also give out a handful of free games every month (including some pretty great 360 titles), which is pretty cool. Sony has become kind of an asshole company who doesn't listen to their player base at all. Even the Wii U is backwards compatible, Sony just straight up didn't bother with backwards compatibility because they'd rather you buy shit again on PSN.

It pretty much comes down to backward compatibility, exclusives, and the 4K drive. As far as exclusives go, Sony wins a bit there, but barely. Uncharted has run its course, God of War is hardly a reason to buy a PS4, and the old classics like Spyro and Crash have all but faded into obscurity. PS4 has some cooler weeb games if you're into that sort of thing, but besides that there aren't many worthwhile exclusives on either Xbone or PS4 these days (Halo has turned to crap more or less as well). Nintendo retains its crown as the weak gimmick console company, but they're got the best exclusives by a wide margin. Honestly Nintendo consoles are the only ones worth buying for exclusives.

I'd lean towards the Xbone, honestly. PS4 just doesn't have a lot going for it in comparison.
Hm. My old TV was a Vizio, and it had a lot of weird issues--it would power down randomly for no reason and, more annoyingly, when the picture on a program was dark (like a night scene or even just a brief fade-to-black), the light level on the screen itself would dim, making seeing what's actually going on flat-out impossible. I needed Sam Fisher's goggles to watch the new Godzilla movie. Thus, in my experience, the Vizio hate is well-deserved. Personally, I will never buy another Vizio anything.

I thought the free games were only a thing you got if you bought the Gold Live membership? I'm not much of a multiplayer guy, like several of the other hermits on this site, so I really wasn't planning to get that. I had a PS Plus membership for a while, but that and the periodic sales are heavily-weighted towards PS4 stuff now (for obvious reasons), and the fact that it's basically mandatory if you want to play anything multiplayer on PS4 also makes it kind-of crap to me (one of the things I used to like about the PS3 is that you didn't have to subscribe to any kind of service to play MP if you wanted to; I realize that contradicts what I said earlier a bit, but if someone gives you something for free, even if you don't use it much, you probably wouldn't be too happy if they later said, "Nah, we changed our minds and you have to pay now.")

This "we won't discount the Expansion Pass/Season Pass/DLC" crap that's been going on from dev's + pub's is a real "Screw You" to those who buy early + just buy the Base-Game at likely much higher prices.
I bought Dishonored back when someone was selling it for $1 (GameStop?). Those cheap buggers are selling a sequel now and they still won't sell the SP for the first game at a reasonable discount.

Hm. My old TV was a Vizio, and it had a lot of weird issues--it would power down randomly for no reason and, more annoyingly, when the picture on a program was dark (like a night scene or even just a brief fade-to-black), the light level on the screen itself would dim, making seeing what's actually going on flat-out impossible. I needed Sam Fisher's goggles to watch the new Godzilla movie. Thus, in my experience, the Vizio hate is well-deserved. Personally, I will never buy another Vizio anything.

I thought the free games were only a thing you got if you bought the Gold Live membership? I'm not much of a multiplayer guy, like several of the other hermits on this site, so I really wasn't planning to get that. I had a PS Plus membership for a while, but that and the periodic sales are heavily-weighted towards PS4 stuff now (for obvious reasons), and the fact that it's basically mandatory if you want to play anything multiplayer on PS4 also makes it kind-of crap to me (one of the things I used to like about the PS3 is that you didn't have to subscribe to any kind of service to play MP if you wanted to; I realize that contradicts what I said earlier a bit, but if someone gives you something for free, even if you don't use it much, you probably wouldn't be too happy if they later said, "Nah, we changed our minds and you have to pay now.")
Powering down on its own either sounds like an issue or an auto-off setting (basically the TV will power off after x amount of time if you haven't pushed anything on it). The dimming on dark scenes also sounds like a display setting, my Toshiba has it as well and calls it Dyna-Lighting I think. They're all power/screen saving features that you should be able to turn off. They don't necessarily sound like technical issues from what you described. Vizios still are cheaper TVs though, and I've heard good and bad about them, but that sort of goes for every brand. I'd have customers tell me they had two Sonys that broke under a year, or similar stories with Samsung, or how their RCA has lasted them 5+ years. That's just electronics for you.

And yeah, the free games are only with gold. 12 month cards are pretty cheap online though I think if you know where to look, and I'd say it's worth it for what you get, but it's not for everyone. Regardless it's not much different than what you deal with on the PS4.

How about at 1440p?

EDIT:
This "we won't discount the Expansion Pass/Season Pass/DLC" crap that's been going on from dev's + pub's is a real "Screw You" to those who buy early + just buy the Base-Game at likely much higher prices.
I get 100-142 (I capped my PC) at 1440p

Now that I'm suddenly a Dead Rising fanboy I want the third one to go on a good sale. Looks like it's the first one Inafune wasn't involved in and when the series started going downhill, but it's still supposed to be decent.

4, on the other hand, looks like total garbage... They even locked the true ending (Dead Rising games typically have an ending, and then an extended mode that continues the final part of the story if you got the best ending) behind a paywall as DLC. 

Capcom is such a dumpster fire at this point. It's depressing watching one of your favorite gaming giants turn to shit.

Now that I'm suddenly a Dead Rising fanboy I want the third one to go on a good sale. Looks like it's the first one Inafune wasn't involved in and when the series started going downhill, but it's still supposed to be decent.

4, on the other hand, looks like total garbage... They even locked the true ending (Dead Rising games typically have an ending, and then an extended mode that continues the final part of the story if you got the best ending) behind a paywall as DLC.

Capcom is such a dumpster fire at this point. It's depressing watching one of your favorite gaming giants turn to shit.
I really liked 3

I really liked 3
Yeah, it seems like the biggest complaints are that the difficulty is a lot lower than the first 2, and it started to lose the Dead Rising feel, but it looks pretty solid to me. Inafune did such an awesome job making a serious game that also is so heavily about humor and campiness, and I guess since he left before 3 was developed it lost a bit of that. 1 was cool, but 2 did such an awesome job with the psychopaths and characters and I just fell in love with it so fast. I'll definitely grab 3 once it hits a decent sale (I still have Off the Record to play through as well).

In 4 they removed psychopaths, the timer, etc... It honestly just sounds like they sucked the soul out of the game and made it a washed out zombie killing romp to appeal to casual gamers, while the older ones had a higher level of urgency and whatnot that made them so unique. Pretty sad.

I think three has the best zombie killing in the franchise. I haven't gotten very far in the story, but I spent most of my time finding blueprints, putting together new crazy weapons and going to town on hordes of zombies.

User Buys Blizzard Merchandise, Gets Starcraft Source Code

https://www.polygon.com/2017/5/5/15547470/starcraft-source-code-ebay-free-trip-blizzcon

starcraft-gold-master-source-code-disc.png

Picked up an Auria monitor today at Microcenter after reading a post about them on SD, $149? Yeah why not?

27", IPS, 60hz(yeah yeah i know), 1440p, and grand total with a 2 year warranty and tax was $186. Seriously considering getting another one but I'm not sure I can figure out a way for my desk to accommodate it.

Extremely glossy so if that bugs you look elsewhere. If like me you just want to try out a great budget 1440p monitor have at it. The stand does suck and has no height adjustment so if that is a deal breaker look elsewhere.

Hoo boy, who knows what people could have done with 20 year old RTS source code. That's like the damn formula to the everlasting gobstopper.
He got some sweet Blizzard swag and a free trip to blizzardcon out of it.

Picked up an Auria monitor today at Microcenter after reading a post about them on SD, $149? Yeah why not?

27", IPS, 60hz(yeah yeah i know), 1440p, and grand total with a 2 year warranty and tax was $186. Seriously considering getting another one but I'm not sure I can figure out a way for my desk to accommodate it.

Extremely glossy so if that bugs you look elsewhere. If like me you just want to try out a great budget 1440p monitor have it. The stand does suck and has no height adjustment.
Ultrawide would probably fit. Do they make ultrawide?

He got some sweet Blizzard swag and a free trip to blizzardcon out of it.
That's all cool, I just mean it was amusing how big of a deal they made it out to be, lol. 20 years ago sure, that code would have been the holy grail, but now it's more or less obsolete. If anything, common folks getting their hands on it would amount to more in depth mods and fan creations.

It's just funny how quickly lawyers get involved over anything in this day and age.

Also some potential PC accessory deals for the adventurous:

Amazon Warehouse Deals is offering 20% off select PC stuff (discount applies automatically in cart).  Per SD, it's once per account but you can order multiple things off the list at one time and get the discount on everything:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B0163H5F30

Razer Blackwidow Ultimate Mech keyboard - $57.66 before coupon like new condition

https://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B01L2ZRYVE/

HyperX Cloud Stinger gaming head set - $32.84 before coupon very good condition

This is the link to everything the coupon applies to (only 4 pages of stuff):

https://www.amazon.com/Warehouse-Deals-Store/b/ref=amb_link_2?ie=UTF8&node=13355617011&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=merchandised-search-1&pf_rd_r=5QVC9T2W5W62T4SZG5V6&pf_rd_r=5QVC9T2W5W62T4SZG5V6&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=3d93c101-9468-40c8-87e1-1299bb97a4f3&pf_rd_p=3d93c101-9468-40c8-87e1-1299bb97a4f3&pf_rd_i=13355617011

Hoo boy, who knows what people could have done with 20 year old RTS source code. That's like the damn formula to the everlasting gobstopper.
Funny story, about two decades ago I discovered the original recipe to the Everlasting Gobstopper and mailed it back to Wonka Candies. As a reward they gave me some weird golden CD. No idea what I did with it though.

That's all cool, I just mean it was amusing how big of a deal they made it out to be, lol. 20 years ago sure, that code would have been the holy grail, but now it's more or less obsolete. If anything, common folks getting their hands on it would amount to more in depth mods and fan creations.

It's just funny how quickly lawyers get involved over anything in this day and age.
Oh yeah, I agree on that. I thought it was silly too. Like what is anyone going to do? Make a new "retro" game out of it? I guess those are a thing now, but there's very little value in it IMO, though with how shitty Blizzard games tend to look and how little they change over 20 years, maybe WOW and HOTS all have been running on that source code this entire time.

Funny story, about two decades ago I discovered the original recipe to the Everlasting Gobstopper and mailed it back to Wonka Candies. As a reward they gave me some weird golden CD. No idea what I did with it though.
I thought you only mailed it back after you tried copying it and learned that no one would buy something called Syntax Error's Infinitely Sweet Mouthballs.

It's actually not a bad deal if you need any of the games in either bundle. Most expensive one works out to $1.64 a bundle if you split the cost. The downside is most everyone has all or most of these.

Edit:
In fact, setting up a group buy for the Bronze tier as i need some of those older titles. Works out to .46 per person:

1. Me
2. Reds303
3. Motiv
4. Bah
5. Palinn
6. Jimbofluffy
7. Volt1up
8. Thrakker
9. MysterD
10. Guarocks
11. Trumpcat

Hurry up folks, these are going quick and Trumpcat might try to stop imports from Japan at any point.
Am I too late?
No video card yet, had to pay for funeral food for a bunch of ungrateful asshats family.

Picked up NBA Playgrounds and had a chance to play a few matches and am pretty happy with my purchase. This game plays exactly like NBA Jam with the only difference being the games are shorter (5 minute matches) and you can't catch "on fire". There is a power up bar that if you fill as far as I can tell guarantees your next shot, but that's as close as being on fire as you get. Instead of a challenge mode where you try to defeat all 30 teams you instead enter tournaments in different cities and try to win every city's tournament. 

When you purchase the game you receive 3 5-player packs of cards that give you 15 players to start with to select for your games. For whatever reason, the game decided that it was only going to give me centers and no forwards or guards out of these packs. After winning the New York City tournament with David Robinson and George Mikan I received 3 more packs of cards which finally allowed me to get some guards to shoot 3 pointers with. You need to build up your players skill points and level them up, and if you receive duplicate cards it allows you more skill points to do this with.

There probably isn't a whole lot of depth there to make this game fun after you collect all the players and max them out, but for anyone that remembers the old NBA Jam series and wants to play I can say it's almost an exact carbon copy of it.

EDIT - I hadn't unlocked random powerups yet, but the power up bar gives you a random powerup every time that can range from 4 point dunks to cutting the opponents shot clock in half for a certain amount of time. You can't choose it and it is automatically activated, but its an interesting twist from the original game.

Picked up NBA Playgrounds and had a chance to play a few matches and am pretty happy with my purchase. This game plays exactly like NBA Jam with the only difference being the games are shorter (5 minute matches) and you can't catch "on fire". There is a power up bar that if you fill as far as I can tell guarantees your next shot, but that's as close as being on fire as you get. Instead of a challenge mode where you try to defeat all 30 teams you instead enter tournaments in different cities and try to win every city's tournament.

When you purchase the game you receive 3 5-player packs of cards that give you 15 players to start with to select for your games. For whatever reason, the game decided that it was only going to give me centers and no forwards or guards out of these packs. After winning the New York City tournament with David Robinson and George Mikan I received 3 more packs of cards which finally allowed me to get some guards to shoot 3 pointers with. You need to build up your players skill points and level them up, and if you receive duplicate cards it allows you more skill points to do this with.

There probably isn't a whole lot of depth there to make this game fun after you collect all the players and max them out, but for anyone that remembers the old NBA Jam series and wants to play I can say it's almost an exact carbon copy of it.
Is NBA Playgrounds relevant to you?

If anyone was thinking about keeping their G2A bundle sub for the "extra" game they give to subscribers, think again..

https://news.g2a.com/news/g2a-deal-edition-3/#comment-564

"Planar conquest was a gift for early adopters that stuck around for G2A Deal #2. The extra game was a one time thing."

There's no reason to stay subbed for the upcoming bundle, unless you missed the bundles those games were in the first time around.

The ultimate fantasy playground for cars arrives today!
Forza Hot Wheels?

Picked up NBA Playgrounds and had a chance to play a few matches and am pretty happy with my purchase. This game plays exactly like NBA Jam with the only difference being the games are shorter (5 minute matches) and you can't catch "on fire". There is a power up bar that if you fill as far as I can tell guarantees your next shot, but that's as close as being on fire as you get. Instead of a challenge mode where you try to defeat all 30 teams you instead enter tournaments in different cities and try to win every city's tournament.

Sounds like its right up my alley. I'm glad you posted about it as I meant to the other day when I found out about it.

Edit: Anyone see it at a discount at a 3rd party seller... (its not listed on isthereanydeal.com yet.)

I saw the Starcraft source code guy's post on reddit a week or so ago.

I wouldn't have been able to resist releasing the code.
Well, I guess it's a good thing Blizzard made Starcraft free a little while ago. Is there someone here who hasn't played Starcraft at this point? I think I've probably played it twice. Those early-engine cutscenes are weird, like watching a Wallace and Grommit (sp?) cartoon.

I saw the Starcraft source code guy's post on reddit a week or so ago.

I wouldn't have been able to resist releasing the code.
Well I guess it's a good thing you're not the one who found it. Because your ass would have been sued to oblivion by multi billion dollar company Blizzard's team of lawyers.

Awesome, I'll have an excuse to fakeybro some stuff as a birthday present to myself.  

I'm loving the start time of the summer sale last year and this.  Two years ago it was almost August before it started. 

Awesome, I'll have an excuse to fakeybro some stuff as a birthday present to myself.

I'm loving the start time of the summer sale last year and this. Two years ago it was almost August before it started.
2015 summer sale started June 11th. 2014 it started June 19th.

You're thinking 2013. That's the last time it started after July 4th. (11th).

Hiding in the grass is worthless the last time I played.

You can turn foliage completely off in battlegrounds folder.
I've found that a strategy that works well one game can be an absolute disaster in the next. Corn grass really worked for me that round. But I've also been hit by a Molotov in the corn grass.

Another round I made to the top 10 by running over some people before parking my car near a bush and just sitting there while everyone killed each other. But in a later game I was shot through the windshield while trying to run someone down.

Gonna be a solid brodate game whenever it gets bundled. The game is still a lot of fun even if you suck. I would know!

This is the exact one I use. Its really great. Its very sturdy, the cable is very long, and the sound quality is really good. Memory foam earcups are huge too.
I bought one; the ones not shipping until the 12th but with better packaging and documentation. If I get ear syphilis or something, it's yours and Fox's fault for enticing me to buy it.

I've found that a strategy that works well one game can be an absolute disaster in the next. Corn grass really worked for me that round. But I've also been hit by a Molotov in the corn grass.

Another round I made to the top 10 by running over some people before parking my car near a bush and just sitting there while everyone killed each other. But in a later game I was shot through the windshield while trying to run someone down.

Gonna be a solid brodate game whenever it gets bundled. The game is still a lot of fun even if you suck. I would know!
Easy pass. Bros wont talk me into buying another first to die spectator simulator. fuck those games

bread's done
Back