Steam+ Deals Mega Thread (All PC Gaming Deals)

Neuro5i5

CAGiversary!
Feedback
151 (100%)
This thread will attempt to provide a place to discuss past/present/future PC gaming deals. While mainly focusing on Steam games, any standout sales may also be presented. I will not be updating every Daily/Weekly/etc. sale. The tools to help individuals become a smarter shopper will be provided below.

See this POST for links to store sale pages, threads of interest and other tools to help you become a more informed PC game shopper.

Last edited:
Easy pass. Bros wont talk me into buying another first to die spectator simulator. fuck those games
If you sucked less, you'd spend more time playing
schooled.gif

Personally I like the new relevant thing, only because now I know why Steam recommendations are shit instead of having a good idea why they are shit. For example, I have hundreds of hours in sports games (thousands if we include Football Manager games), but that NBA Playgrounds is only relevant to me because it has very positive reviews and is a top seller.

It is funny how Valve will put out a big post on the (mostly pointless) change, yet miss the easy and most obvious way to achieve their goals: Just let me tell the damn "black box" what I like. I'm pretty sure I know why they don't just do that, but still. 

Valve still hasn't done anything about the fact that they literally monetarily incentivize making their own recommendation algorithm useless.  When I get 15¢ for idling bundle trash and then the system says "Hey, I see you spent two hours playing bundle trash! Betcha love bundle trash!" there's a significant problem.

Last edited by a moderator:
Valve still hasn't done anything about the fact that they literally monetarily incentivize making their own recommendation algorithm useless. When I get 15¢ for idling bundle trash and then the system says "Hey, I see you spent two hours playing bundle trash! Betcha love bundle trash!" there's a significant problem.
How is this a problem? You *bought* the bundle trash so it thinks you like bundle trash so it recommends more bundle trash. Seems to be working as intended.

I hate anime but I get anime games in my queue because they come in bundle trash.

How is this a problem? You *bought* the bundle trash so it thinks you like bundle trash so it recommends more bundle trash. Seems to be working as intended.

I hate anime but I get anime games in my queue because they come in bundle trash.
Because bundle trash is usually 50 pennies or more on steam. The fuck gon' pay that??

Picked up an Auria monitor today at Microcenter after reading a post about them on SD, $149? Yeah why not?

27", IPS, 60hz(yeah yeah i know), 1440p, and grand total with a 2 year warranty and tax was $186. Seriously considering getting another one but I'm not sure I can figure out a way for my desk to accommodate it.

Extremely glossy so if that bugs you look elsewhere. If like me you just want to try out a great budget 1440p monitor have at it. The stand does suck and has no height adjustment so if that is a deal breaker look elsewhere.
Pretty solid deal for a 1440p IPS. I was in the pawn shop last week and saw a 24" Asus monitor, 1080p/60hz I picked up. It was only $15 though and I figured it would make for a good third monitor.

Pretty solid deal for a 1440p IPS. I was in the pawn shop last week and saw a 24" Asus monitor, 1080p/60hz I picked up. It was only $15 though and I figured it would make for a good third monitor.
Really is, minimal BLB(i can't ever see it unless I test for it on any IPS I've owned anyway), color is good, contrast is only lacking at the most extreme white, I'm really very pleased with it so far. I played Doom for about 30 minutes on it last night and there wasn't any noticeable disruption to the image.

Because Valve wants to sell me games and I tune out its recommendations if they're not accurate. When Valve is recommending a bunch of stuff that I have no interest in because of dozen or hundreds of false-positives, then it's failing in its mission of convincing me to buy more games from Steam. But the false positives are entirely of its own making via the trading card and marketplace programs.

It's not "working as intended" because the intent is to show me games I want to buy and cause me to spend money with Steam, not to spam my "You may like" feed with garbage based on shit I once idled and call it good.

Because Valve wants to sell me games and I tune out its recommendations if they're not accurate. When Valve is recommending a bunch of stuff that I have no interest in because of dozen or hundreds of false-positives, then it's failing in its mission of convincing me to buy more games from Steam. But the false positives are entirely of its own making via the trading card and marketplace programs.

It's not "working as intended" because the intent is to show me games I want to buy and cause me to spend money with Steam, not to spam my "You may like" feed with garbage based on shit I once idled and call it good.
But it doesn't know you simply idled those games for cards. All it knows is that If you activated the key on Steam, it means you *bought* that game because you were interested in it.

Have the algorithm ignore any game that has achievements and cards, that you played for only 2-3 hours without earning any achievements.

But it doesn't know you simply idled those games for cards. All it knows is that If you activated the key on Steam, it means you *bought* that game because you were interested in it.
and that's why it doesn't work.

any other platform would benefit from the feature, but steam specifically incentivizes asset swap trash for the sake of card sales (that Valve gets a cut of) and the only way to get those precious pennies is to idle.

If Valve actually gave a shit about Steam and performed proper curation, it might still work. They don't and it doesn't.

Easy pass. Bros wont talk me into buying another first to die spectator simulator. fuck those games
The nice thing about Battlegrounds is that once one member of your team goes down, the rest usually follow in quick succession. Unless of course all four team members decide to land on different parts of the map or run in completely different directions once they land, which is exactly what would/will happen on a bro night.

Yes. Hence why Steam's card market actively works against its recommendation algorithm -- which was my point.

In simpler terms: Valve gives you multiple reasons to run a game but its algorithm assumes only one reason to run a game. Which is poor practice if you want your algorithm to be effective as promoting purchases.

King of Fighters XIV Steam Edition

https://twitter.com/SNKPofficial/status/861883943175430145
You can't do this to me SNK, I just pre-order Tekken 7

They made the file uneditable...unless something changed very recently.
I've haven't played but once or twice in awhile.

If they changed it I really wouldn't know.

Gonna be a solid brodate game whenever it gets bundled. The game is still a lot of fun even if you suck. I would know!
I'm always down to play this game with CAG.

Win or Lost the game is fun

It is funny how Valve will put out a big post on the (mostly pointless) change, yet miss the easy and most obvious way to achieve their goals: Just let me tell the damn "black box" what I like. I'm pretty sure I know why they don't just do that, but still.
That same thought had occurred to me yesterday after I read their long blog. They seem to be trying awfully hard to figure out what people want to buy and the answer is right there in front of them: just ask.

Produce an optional survey for everyone that lets you be more specific about the kind of games you enjoy and want to buy. Clearly playtime is misleading and they surely know why. Then allow that survey to at least have influence over the algorithm.

Why spend so much time trying to guess what people want instead of just letting them volunteer the information? Sometimes Valve just tries too hard to be clever.

By the way, as many of you know I am always prepared for domestic upheaval so I like to have two of everything in case things get ugly during the separation proceedings. In other words: new build alert!

[attachment=26529:IMG_4315.JPG]

As for what's inside? Who knows?! As I was building it I just pretended like I was playing with really sharp Legos. I don't know how any of this works, but all the pretty lights turned on and that's all that matters. 

It might not work for you but I don't think the mass bundle and idlers are indicative of steams user base. Most people can't even be asked to check other sites than steam and so buy stuff at higher prices, let alone troll numerous bundling sites just to buy godawful garbage no one likes to earn a few pennies.

It might not work for you but I don't think the mass bundle and idlers are indicative of steams user base. Most people can't even be asked to check other sites than steam and so buy stuff at higher prices, let alone troll numerous bundling sites just to buy godawful garbage no one likes to earn a few pennies.
Syntax doesn't buy much bundle garbage. You can tell by looking at his steam profile, only 1,628 games owned.

Great news for the bros!

I found a Saitek X45 Flight Stick and Throttle at Goodwill today.  A bit pricier than I'd like ($15), but it looks in pretty good condition.  Will test it later and hope it works fine. 

Will try to see if it works in BF1 so I can start provided superior air support whenever I am not sniping.  

Conversely, most people don't loiter around Steam at all and only visit the site twice a year when they have a specific title or buy or, for some reason, still think that seasonal sales are meaningful. If you're going to sell stuff to people, start with the people already in the door.

Trying to find NBA Playgrounds on Humble Bundle, I see you can already Pre-Order NBA 2k18. Pre-Order it so early they haven't even come up with features to put in the description yet (just the pre-order bonus and legend edition bonuses). 

Oh and NBA Playgrounds isn't on HB. 

Great news for the bros!

I found a Saitek X45 Flight Stick and Throttle at Goodwill today. A bit pricier than I'd like ($15), but it looks in pretty good condition. Will test it later and hope it works fine.

Will try to see if it works in BF1 so I can start provided superior air support whenever I am not sniping.
awesome, more useless fox spawns.

Conversely, most people don't loiter around Steam at all and only visit the site twice a year when they have a specific title or buy or, for some reason, still think that seasonal sales are meaningful. If you're going to sell stuff to people, start with the people already in the door.
Perhaps, but I'd be surprised if the majority of steams user base only looks at the store twice a year.

Great news for the bros!

I found a Saitek X45 Flight Stick and Throttle at Goodwill today. A bit pricier than I'd like ($15), but it looks in pretty good condition. Will test it later and hope it works fine.

Yea, Id have bought that too. Ive always wanted one haha.

Since we're still talking about consolish peripherals, I ignored everybody's advice and picked up an off-brand X1 controller today at Walmart.  It has gold triggers and comes with three different types of thumbsticks that I can swap out until I lose the spares.  I shall be the envy of all spofos!

It's also kinda loud and clicky, which hopefully will counteract some of Fox's keyboard rattling.   At least until it breaks.  Which will probably be in a week or two.

Well, I guess it's a good thing Blizzard made Starcraft free a little while ago. Is there someone here who hasn't played Starcraft at this point? I think I've probably played it twice.
Me. Ain't played it.

It's been installed, though.

And I've had the SC1: Battle Chest for a very long time + both SC2 WoL base-game & HoTS for quite some time.

It's too bad Steam's algorithm doesn't take into account how much you spent on the games (obviously not, due to keys). If you like a certain type of game, you're more likely to spend a lot more on it, as opposed to shit for a few bucks that you take a random shot on.

It's too bad Steam's algorithm doesn't take into account how much you spent on the games (obviously not, due to keys). If you like a certain type of game, you're more likely to spend a lot more on it, as opposed to shit for a few bucks that you take a random shot on.
Easy. How soon after release you get it. Then it doesn't matter how much you spent on keys.

Day 1? You probably really like games similar to it. Day 14? Probably word of mouth. Day 300? Probably cheap sale.

Devolver Digital = wait until free :p
I can't even name the last of their games to go free to the masses. It'll be a long wait.

Wait til Monthly, definitely, but even there their biggest titles take a while to get there. Shadow Warrior 2, Enter The Gungeon, haven't even sniffed a bundle yet and BroForce took its a while getting there too. Even Downwell, a title with a $1.99 MSRP (and easily worth that) hasn't even hit a bundle. I imagine Strafe will be one of those kind of titles.

Devolver is one publisher I have no problem at all supporting. Their biggest games almost always tend to be quality. They definitely go onsale relatively quickly though.

I can't even name the last of their games to go free to the masses. It'll be a long wait.

Wait til Monthly, definitely, but even there their biggest titles take a while to get there. Shadow Warrior 2, Enter The Gungeon, haven't even sniffed a bundle yet and BroForce took its a while getting there too. Even Downwell, a title with a $1.99 MSRP (and easily worth that) hasn't even hit a bundle. I imagine Strafe will be one of those kind of titles.

Devolver is one publisher I have no problem at all supporting. Their biggest games almost always tend to be quality. They definitely go onsale relatively quickly though.
Strafe bombed day 1 in reviews, so it won't take too long to get monthlied. I'm thinking Broforce took so long because it was in early access for a while. Even KISS waits till some games are out of EA before bundling.

Strafe bombed day 1 in reviews, so it won't take too long to get monthlied. I'm thinking Broforce took so long because it was in early access for a while. Even KISS waits till some games are out of EA before bundling.
Ah, I didnt know Strafe reviews were out already, yea if they're that bad it wont even get monthlied, it'll be $1 tiered.

How does Comcast keep finding ways to screw people over?

My internet went out, called into support to get it fix because apparently our box was not activated? Weird since we did that 4 days back when they decided to finally fix it for us.

Suddenly my speed is lower to the point where I cannot load a youtube video for 30 minutes.

Too bad google fiber is never coming here now. 

Comcast daily "Will your internet work" mystery box is worst then GMG mystery boxes at least those get you games.

Your bank account has been rewarded with 0.42 cents from GMG™

xq0DbZI.png

Onto other news, anyone want to brodate this game?

http://store.steampowered.com/app/280790/Creativerse/

It's literally minecraft and free. 

I did fakey Strafe and honestly it's pretty OK overall. It doesn't run super well on my machine (think they need to squash some bugs). For some reason at the beginning/end of every level my performance goes pretty poor. In the levels though everything runs fine. I don't have as fancy a video cards as people here though...maybe someday.

I'm still not sure what my performance upgrades are when i collect them....and I don't want to do that tutorial again. It plays well enough, though I think they do throw masses of guys at you a bit too often. The way the secondary weapons work is weird as you kind of use them when you find them then throw them away after they run out of ammo. Your primary is your main gun and you get 3 choices. I usually use the rail gun cause it has best range and good power. It's very hard and enemies come out of nowhere and do massive amounts of damage. Armor/health are very hard to come by, as you have to make armor and food isn't common.

I wish there was more something like Ziggurat, where you have multiple guns that get power and also you get the powers and stuff you find in the level. I honestly think that game might be better than this in ways. It says in game I can get items, but i haven't seen them yet. Of course I've only made it to floor 3, as i'm not too great yet.

Right now I would rate it a 6.5/10, as they need to squash bugs and get the performance up (I fell through the floor and in one level the enemies stopped moving even after shooting them). I will try my hardest to beat it and honestly it's fun overall. I also feel like Rogue Shooter might also be just as good. Just my 2 cents, but it's not pure crap like some reviewers are saying.  

I'd rather pretend to be busy while waiting for you all to finish building your intricate castles or homages, then blow them up.

bread's done
Back