Steam+ Deals Mega Thread (All PC Gaming Deals)

Neuro5i5

CAGiversary!
Feedback
151 (100%)
This thread will attempt to provide a place to discuss past/present/future PC gaming deals. While mainly focusing on Steam games, any standout sales may also be presented. I will not be updating every Daily/Weekly/etc. sale. The tools to help individuals become a smarter shopper will be provided below.

See this POST for links to store sale pages, threads of interest and other tools to help you become a more informed PC game shopper.

Last edited:
Get the 960, a Godfather's Pizza, and use water to cool your system.

8 cups a day poured over your case and 16 cups into your case depending on how much power you have in there.

8 cd rom drives too
i-dont-know-what-i-expected.gif

I got it for free back during that glitch.. and even I forgot it was from gamesplanet lol. Some of these sites should just shut down, I have no idea who buys from them.
They don't have much in the way of regional prices, so people who live in Australia and other places where the publisher sells things at a high price for no reason at all can get games for a lot cheaper.

Well the time has come: time for a new rig. Starting mostly from scratch, any advice is greatly appreciated and will be ignored.
Some kind of i7 processor or AMD equiv., I'd say. I ain't really been super-hip on newer processors (as my i7 950 is holding up now, but you can do much better than that now). Some games flat-out require a i7 (i.e. Wolfenstein: TNO); or actually recommend it (i.e. Wolf: TOB). Me, I've always preferred Intel over AMD, in most instances.

Decent number of watts on PSU. Just in case you SLI/Crossfire later or buy a very beefy video card, pay attention to what you buy - you might want more. I have 800W myself (which is overkill here), but just in case I catch a sick deal and want to take a shot at SLI'ing. My 4GB 960 card only wants 400W for a minimum. You want to be above the min. by a fair deal. Some of the newer AMD cards are quite power-hungry + watt-hungry (i.e. see 8GB R9 380x) - so, keep that in mind if you are headed down the AMD route.

RAM - I have 16GB DDR3 memory. It's fine, for now. But you'll probably want more than that, since you're starting fresh w/ new build.

Aim for a vid-card with 3GB to 4 GB of VRAM or more!

This raw power of having bigger amounts of VRAM is just going to be needed. It's a growing trend, like it or not.

It doesn't help that PC ports - especially from AAA companies - can wind-up being undercooked, lazy, basic, not much optimizing put into it, and things of that sort...which have led to the high-end VRAM requirements of games like AC: Unity, The Evil Within & Batman AK at even 1080p. We'll get into that a bit, momentarily.

Most of the above stuff are multi-platformed games for PC + consoles. This is a problem for PC versions on multi-platformed games. PS4 is out-selling the X1, so you can expect more companies leaning towards building around PS4 hardware (since that's the new-gen console leader). Also, most games on consoles + PC have dropped even making PS3 + X360 versions - so, the increase spike of PC requirements is inevitable b/c they are not using those old systems as the lowest common denominator anymore!

So, here's more problems: the shared 8GB DDR5 RAM on the PS4 seems to be a problem dev's are complaining about that are doing multi-platforming of their games - see here, from Avalanche on PS4 vs. PC and why PC games need more VRAM (this is an old article, but you might get the detailed reasoning better there if you want the detailed explanation). B/c the PS4 RAM's shared, the dev's can just often just dump stuff wherever w/out too much of a care (especially since it's a fixed-box + can run on the metal w/out much getting in the way). PC needs that crap allocated somewhere + quickly; and then there's the DirectX API that is not currently at a low-level layer (i.e. DX11 and below), so this can get in the way a bit of performance. Basically, more VRAM on the PC side for your GPU is just necessary to handle this mess.

I constantly see my 4GB GeForce 960 card eating up anywhere from 2-4 GB VRAM on any modern PC titles, depending on the settings I'm running it at. At 1080p on my PC - Watch Dogs, Batman AK, Witcher 3, Far Cry 4, AC Unity, The Evil Within - these are all eating up ridiculous amounts of VRAM.

Where you go - your call. NVidia 960 (4GB option only there), 970, 980, Titan; or AMD's 280x, 380x, 390 - take your pick. Pick something for you at 3-4 GB VRAM or more. Depends on what you're used to and what you prefer, for whether AMD or Nvidia. Some prefer AMD for the bang-for-buck performance; some often prefer NVidia for stability + drivers.

Last edited by a moderator:
Man, I already had a headache. Didn't need to read that MysterD is using a 800w PSU for a 4 GB 960. My brain is melting.
FTFY.

When I first put this PC together, I kept the idea open purposely. That was just in case I decided to SLI since the X58 Sabertooth supported it. Hence, buying huge number of watts - just in case. At that time, I found the SLI idea attractive.

Unless somehow some cards get dirt-cheap and I buy two of them - I really don't see it happening.

I think I'd rather nowadays just buy one newer + better card instead.

Well the time has come: time for a new rig. Starting mostly from scratch, any advice is greatly appreciated and will be ignored.
Best advice will be this.

Go to a real hardware forum. Simple as that.

I read MysterD last answer and only the PSU paragraph is quiet disturbing.

I respect and love MysterD, but in this case I think he is a little bit lost.

Look at this thread to get some ideas: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=944920 It's a good place to start if you want to get caught up on opinions of the current PC parts landscape from the hivemind.

It will also save you from reading lengthy expositions on CAG. Long-winded posts are discouraged here unless they are completely unrelated to gaming, PCs, or deals in general.

RAM - I have 16GB DDR3 memory. It's fine, for now. But you'll probably want more than that, since you're starting fresh w/ new build.
No video game will require 16GB system RAM for two or three years... probably longer. Over 16GB? Maybe in a decade. But probably not. Your CPU, mobo, and GPU will all be outdated by that time. If someone had an unlimited budget, sure... go ahead and get 16 GB to be overly cautious. If they don't... spend that $100 or so elsewhere like the graphics card where you'll actually get a noticeable performance boost for your money.

Three things I should have stated before: all parts have to be available at Micro Center (no real issue there), I have ~600-700 to spend, and I doubt I'll need an HDD though I may add an SSD.

Buy a Mac.  I heard they're easy.

I have 12GB of memory just because of some left overs from making certain sticks work in certain boards but, really, by the time we NEED 12-16+ GB for stuff I assume we'll have moved on from DDR3 and my 16GB will be obsolete anyway.

No video game will require 16GB system RAM for two or three years... probably longer. Over 16GB? Maybe in a decade. But probably not. Your CPU, mobo, and GPU will all be outdated by that time.
No offense, but that's a rather simplistic way to determine the amount of RAM someone might use in their PC build. It would be good to determine how it's being used before dispensing that kind of advice.

Three things I should have stated before: all parts have to be available at Micro Center (no real issue there), I have ~600-700 to spend, and I doubt I'll need an HDD though I may add an SSD.
My SSD is one of my favorite things about my new PC. The speed makes a tremendous difference.

1. Buy Raspberry Pi 2 Model B * 10 = $350

2. Beowulf cluster them for 10GB RAM, 9Ghz 40-core ARM processing

3. Hook it up to your TV

4. Use an external hard drive, USB 3.0

5. Play Witcher 3 on high

Easy.

Ugh, I'm gonna need to do a system upgrade as well. My 660 has served me well over the past few years, but with the new console generation a significant jump in system reqs has occurred. Now it's the minimum for some titles like Witcher 3. Hoping to hold out one more year and maybe get a top of the line card then which should carry me through the rest of this console gen.

No offense, but that's a rather simplistic way to determine the amount of RAM someone might use in their PC build. It would be good to determine how it's being used before dispensing that kind of advice.
I'm assuming since we're on a gaming forum it's going to be... for games. Anyone heavily involved in video editing or other technical pursuits that would require that amount of RAM probably wouldn't need to solicit advice on a forum.

Also, ur ghey.

No offense.

Re: SSDs... let's put it this way: assuming fixed budget having a 980 over a 970 > having an SSD > having 16 GB system RAM.  But if you can have a 980 and an SSD, great!****************

************** SAID ADVICE ASSUMES YOU ARE PLAYING VIDEO GAMES AND NOT RUNNING AUTOCAD TO DESIGN THE CITIES OF THE FUTURE **************

I'm assuming since we're on a gaming forum it's going to be... for games. Anyone heavily involved in video editing or other technical pursuits that would require that amount of RAM probably wouldn't need to solicit advice on a forum.

That's a pretty weak assumption. Just because someone can use photo or video editing software doesn't mean that they don't need advice on buying parts for a PC build. You might think that would be the case, but you'd be wrong.

Also, because someone is asking for advice in a gaming forum doesn't meant that they don't have specific needs and only use their PC for games. I suspect it has more to do with soliciting advice from fellow computer users in a forum in which they feel comfortable.

All I'm saying is... both you and MysterD should consider asking more questions before giving PC parts advice in absolutes.

That's a pretty weak assumption. Just because someone can use photo or video editing software doesn't mean that they don't need advice on buying parts for a PC build. You might think that would be the case, but you'd be wrong.

Also, because someone is asking for advice in a gaming forum doesn't meant that they don't have specific needs and only use their PC for games. I suspect it has more to do with soliciting advice from fellow computer users in a forum in which they feel comfortable.

All I'm saying is... both you and MysterD should consider asking more questions before giving PC parts advice in absolutes.
The assumption is fine. For whatever reason you're just always passive aggressive. It'll be okay.

Ugh, I'm gonna need to do a system upgrade as well. My 660 has served me well over the past few years, but with the new console generation a significant jump in system reqs has occurred. Now it's the minimum for some titles like Witcher 3. Hoping to hold out one more year and maybe get a top of the line card then which should carry me through the rest of this console gen.
Good luck.

I really hope that 2GB 660 carries you a while, bro - enough so that it give you more time to decide on going with some kind of 4-6GB VRAM card or better. Hopefully, you can still run some games at your desired settings for a bit. Hopefully, this can buy you some time to let some dust settle on the market for VRAM, since AMD + Nvidia are offering up all kinds of crazy different amounts of VRAM.

I just couldn't cut it anymore w/ the 1GB VRAM 560 Ti. The 2GB VRAM min. requirement on some games (like W3 + ACU) + recommendation specs (like TEW) just began killing me just to keep at 1080p.

My SSD is one of my favorite things about my new PC. The speed makes a tremendous difference.

No offense, but maybe you should ask the questions instead of scolding them about it?

I figure if Pickle needed it for nucular design auto cadding he'd probably have said it by now and probably wouldn't have bothered asking here. Fair assumption to say he is on CAG wants a computer to play Gs Cheaply for that Ass.

Wow, so much stupid up in here!. Do yourself a favor and go to real hardware forum (and no, neotards aren't even close to a good source for hardware advice).

No offense, but maybe you should ask the questions instead of scolding them about it?

I figure if Pickle needed it for nucular design auto cadding he'd probably have said it by now and probably wouldn't have bothered asking here. Fair assumption to say he is on CAG wants a computer to play Gs Cheaply for that Ass.
My advice to Pickles was to check out that thread with multiple build options. My advice to Mooby and MysterD was to maybe ask more questions about what he was building before laying out "YOU MUST HAVE" or "YOU DON'T NEED" type of advice.

He's already since stated what kind of build he was doing, so the whole side conversation is now moot. :evil:

Anyways, here's my super sirius advice with the disclaimer that if you need this computer for something other than gaming then I apologize for making the wrong assumption and hurting your whore feelings.

1. Save up all your money you need.  Sure you can buy stuff piecemeal but then you risk something being outdated or incompatible.

2. If you already did step 1, skip it. 

3. Buy everything within a week or two of each other.  Again, sure you could wait for deals over months and shit, but then you wait to put something together, figure out the MOBO you bought two months ago was DOA and then you have to deal with shipping and warranties instead of easy returns and shit.

4.  Wait for a super great CPU/MOBO deal from Microcenter and then use that as your starting point to the build. 

5.  Splurge on things you really care about, bargain hunt on things you don't.  If you like a nice case, get a nice one.  If not, fuck it, no one will look at it but you.  If you think a super cool diamond level PSU is important, then get one, if not, just get a cheap, reliable one that'll run your system.

6.  Don't future proof.  Biggest waste of money in PC building.  

My advice to Pickles was to check out that thread with multiple build options. My advice to Mooby and MysterD was to maybe ask more questions about what he was building before laying out "YOU MUST HAVE" or "YOU DON'T NEED" type of advice.

He's already since stated what kind of build he was doing, so the whole side conversation is now moot. :evil:
Maybe I should've specified - but I usually aim to spend anywhere from $1000-1500 with a new PC.

If you're trying to spend less than that...unless you catch glitch-sales, Black Friday sales, or stuff like that - I think one will wind up cutting a lot of corners + upgrading in not that much time. I built my PC in May 2011 for W2 - and just recently I added more RAM to my config (Nov. 2014) + swapped out my vid-card for way more VRAM (July 2015).

EDIT:

Anyways, here's my super sirius advice with the disclaimer that if you need this computer for something other than gaming then I apologize for making the wrong assumption and hurting your whore feelings.

1. Save up all your money you need. Sure you can buy stuff piecemeal but then you risk something being outdated or incompatible.

2. If you already did step 1, skip it.

3. Buy everything within a week or two of each other. Again, sure you could wait for deals over months and shit, but then you wait to put something together, figure out the MOBO you bought two months ago was DOA and then you have to deal with shipping and warranties instead of easy returns and shit.

4. Wait for a super great CPU/MOBO deal from Microcenter and then use that as your starting point to the build.

5. Splurge on things you really care about, bargain hunt on things you don't. If you like a nice case, get a nice one. If not, fuck it, no one will look at it but you. If you think a super cool diamond level PSU is important, then get one, if not, just get a cheap, reliable one that'll run your system.

6. Don't future proof. Biggest waste of money in PC building.
I did a bunch of research, narrowed it down, & bought my parts in 2011 PC months of time (a few months - Feb. 2011 to May 2011), narrowing down instantly what I wanted. Started at Microcenter. I saved a good deal of money (especially on the PSU, CPU, and Mobo), putting my PC together when I did & buying what I did. Everything purchased back then, that was bought on sale.

What's wrong with the 800 W recommendation?

Yes, it's relatively stupid advice, but you guys are blowing it way out of proportions.

Power supplies typically operate best at around 60% of the rated maximum. But unless you operate at very low or very high parts of that range, efficiencies don't drop like a rock. You'll lose a couple percent of efficiency, but it's not like an under-utilized 800 W supply will draw 1000 W from the wall.

The difference is like what it takes to charge your phone continuously. Not a huge deal.

Edit: Grammar.

Passive aggressive way of admitting I was right.
Ah, come on... the reason you told him he didn't need 16 GB of RAM had nothing to do with giving him advice based on his needs. It was because you don't believe video games will need that much RAM for a long time.

Anyone on a budget has no reason to buy 16 GB of RAM, but neither you nor MysterD bothered finding out what he was doing before giving him your rock-solid advice.

Quite honestly, he ought to be doing what Bruticis said and not asking for PC advice here. I see lots of people do it and it usually just turns into a "here's what I like" discussion.

You know... when I posted my Steam profile here a lot of CAGers sent me friend invites.  I didn't notice you... why don't you want to be my Steam friend, hal???  Hmmmmmmmmmmm.

Can you guys please passive aggressively shut up?
Stop being so active aggressive. You've got to be more like Idiotekque and report us all to Playfire and block our user names from your stupid internet fanfic blog.

Anyone on a budget has no reason to buy 16 GB of RAM, but neither you nor MysterD bothered finding out what he was doing before giving him your rock-solid advice.

Quite honestly, he ought to be doing what Bruticis said and not asking for PC advice here. I see lots of people do it and it usually just turns into a "here's what I like" discussion.
Dude never specified his price-range. So, I probably assumed too much by assuming he had no real budget in mind.

So, I went w/ my typical new PC gaming rig budget - i.e. $1000-1500.

Whether buying new PC's from a local PC-building store (older days) or newer days when building a PC - I've wound-up quite happy aiming for that budget w/ not ever really cutting many corners - hell, if any at all. A few major band-aids for upgrades along the way (usually regular RAM + vid-card VRAM), and I'm good to go for another few years.

How many Steam-games + DLC's do you own?

Should be on your profile page.
Is it something you set up thats automatic? Like do I have to manually update whenever I buy a new game?

Can you use www.mysteamgauge.com and check how accurate it is? I'm curious

It says I would use 2993.1GB if I installed all my games
Took me awhile to find the ID number; thought it was just the username.

Over the last 3 years, you've spent 727.6 hours playing this selection, which includes 190 items, is valued at $3123.69, and requires 1038.4 GB

Edit: I just looked at the last page, thought people were still posting their steamgauge. LATE REPLY.

Is it something you set up thats automatic? Like do I have to manually update whenever I buy a new game?
Nope. And Nope.

Pick the Game Collector option for a main part of your Profile - and you can see both your Steam-game + Steam-DLC count.

The count's all done for you by Steam.

Also, on the right hand-side of your Profile - you can see just you Game Count, if you don't pick the Game Collector option.

Again - Steam handles the count for you.

bread's done
Back