Steam+ Deals Mega Thread (All PC Gaming Deals)

Neuro5i5

CAGiversary!
Feedback
151 (100%)
This thread will attempt to provide a place to discuss past/present/future PC gaming deals. While mainly focusing on Steam games, any standout sales may also be presented. I will not be updating every Daily/Weekly/etc. sale. The tools to help individuals become a smarter shopper will be provided below.

See this POST for links to store sale pages, threads of interest and other tools to help you become a more informed PC game shopper.

Last edited:
A question for the board... I've never built my own PC before but I've heard how easy it is. I'm mainly thinking that I want to try to since it is supposed to be cheaper. Would $1000 be enough of a budget to put together a decent enough rig to last 4-5 years without getting outdated?
You'll save some money by building it yourself but the days of getting 50% more for your buck ended back in the 90s and 2000s. There's still excellent reasons to build yourself: You know exactly what components you'll get, you'll feel more comfortable repairing and replacing things on your own and it can be satisfying but there's also completely legitimate reasons to have someone build it for you. A single warranty for the system, not hassling with troubleshooting which part isn't working and not waiting a week or more while an RMA takes place on your faulty PSU. You'll save some money building yourself, especially if you wait on sales for every component, but depending on your financial state there's something to be said for spending the extra $150 and letting someone else deal with it.

I'm a "build it myself" guy but, each time I come across an issue more complicated than forgetting to turn the PSU switch on, I'm reminded why other people just give iBuyPower their credit card number.

I had mine built a couple of years ago: i5 processor and 770 GPU.  Will easily last me another two or so years considering I don't play many graphic intense games.  Plus you can always just plug in another graphics card for $250-300 every so often.

A question for the board... I've never built my own PC before but I've heard how easy it is. I'm mainly thinking that I want to try to since it is supposed to be cheaper. Would $1000 be enough of a budget to put together a decent enough rig to last 4-5 years without getting outdated?
It is cheaper to put your own computer together. You can get more bang for your buck, but you're faced with researching and making sure you're getting the right parts, putting those parts together, and hoping one of those parts isn't bad. Troubleshooting a problem after building your first computer can be a pain if you don't know what you're doing.

It's not overly difficult though, everything is usually labeled and only fits one specific way in most cases. The hardest thing is probably applying the correct amount of thermal paste to the processor/heat sink.

Watch out for static discharge.

I will say we've had a nightmare time with my youngest brother's first PC build.  The thing just doesn't work.  It'll power on and get to the Windows install screen and then just freeze up.  We've tested everything and nothing comes back as bad so we think it's an issue somewhere with the MOBO.  He already RMO'd it once and they told him nothing was wrong and sent it back, but we've tested each memory stick, tried different video cards, different HDDs, etc. and can't figure out what else it could be.  So, while I'd say things go smooth 9/10 times, the time it goes bad can be a real PITA.

I will say we've had a nightmare time with my youngest brother's first PC build. The thing just doesn't work. It'll power on and get to the Windows install screen and then just freeze up. We've tested everything and nothing comes back as bad so we think it's an issue somewhere with the MOBO. He already RMO'd it once and they told him nothing was wrong and sent it back, but we've tested each memory stick, tried different video cards, different HDDs, etc. and can't figure out what else it could be. So, while I'd say things go smooth 9/10 times, the time it goes bad can be a real PITA.
This is exactly what I don't want to have happen.

What about e-bay? I see some companies selling computers they built there, anyone have any experience with that? Or should I stay far away from an e-bay computer?

What about e-bay? I see some companies selling computers they built there, anyone have any experience with that? Or should I stay far away from an e-bay computer?
If you're going to buy to avoid hassle buy a pre-built from a reputable company that you know will honor their warranty. Dealing with some random ebayer when something goes wrong would be worse than trying to figure out issues yourself.

Not trying to scare you off of building your own, but you do need to be prepared for the possibility something could go wrong if you choose that option.

So, while I'd say things go smooth 9/10 times, the time it goes bad can be a real PITA.
Yes, this. So much this.

Here's the story of my last build (taken from elsewhere):

For the last couple years, I've been holding old components back after upgrades intending to build a new computer. The computer in the family room is a Dell from 2006 with a Pentium 4 running XP and using some AGP video card I'm too lazy to look up. Recently I decided to make the final push towards gathering the missing parts and took advantage of some Memorial Day sales. My final component list:

i3-530 2.9GHz Duo Core Processor
Intel DP55SB 'Extreme' Micro-ATX Motherboard
Corsair 500W PSU
GeForce GTX 550 Ti 2GB video card
2x4GB Kingston DDR3 1600 Memory
CoolerMaster Elite 430 Case
1x140mm fan, 3x120mm fans
Stock CPU cooler (actually, I think it's the stock from my i7-860 but whatever)
HGST 500GB 7200RPM HD
Some $15 OEM optical drive I'm too lazy to look up

My goal here wasn't a gaming system or anything but rather an upgraded family use computer that could play some games as well if my son wants. I played a bit of stuff on that processor and with a lower grade card and managed to enjoy Skyrim, etc. The motherboard was bought off eBay since finding a retail 1156 board these days is near impossible. It came new though and despite the plain packaging wasn't standard OEM since it came with the backplate and cables. It wasn't necessarily the board I would have picked but I didn't want to pay $125 for a used Asus board or something.

So, the construction. First thing I noticed was how cramped the board was. I remarked to BeanX off-forum that my next build is going to have a motherboard the size of a refrigerator box. No more of this Micro-ATX crap. This is made worse by the absolute lack of cable management in my case. There is zero room behind the motherboard panel so everything sits in front and I did what I could to route cables along the sides. The case looks nice enough and was cheap but isn't especially well designed. The board could use some more fan plugs and my video card is within millimeters of a territorial dispute with the memory sticks but I finally got it all in.

Flip on the PSU power, hit the button and... nothing. Ah, crap. Green lights are on on the board though so that's promising. Hey, here's a nifty thing -- the DP55SB has a power button right on the board. It also has a nifty LED display to show POST codes. I hit the MB power button and magic happens. Ok, so at least I know the board isn't bad. It whirs into life and begins the process of installing Windows 7.

At "Starting Windows", it hangs. I try it again... same thing. At one point (unrelated) I notice the power wire on the case is blocking the front case fan. As in jamming it and keeping it from moving. I have to disassemble the case front and remove the fan to fix it which was annoying. More Windows install attempts. At one point I discover that the "Orange" power wire attaches to the "Red" board jumpers and the "Red" HD activity light goes to the "Orange" jumpers. Lesson learned: Read your MB manual to see what's actually what instead of relying on standardized color coding. Now my case power button works. But Windows still won't install. Online research suggests various BIOS options; none work.

I decide to try a Ubuntu boot disk. After all, if that loads I at least know the parts are working. Ubuntu loads momentarily, then crashes into Panic Mode with a kernel error. Yay. I decide to go to bed. In bed, I'm reading my tablet and come across a customer review for the board saying it won't work with an i3 processor without a BIOS update and since you can't get things running otherwise, you need to pull a jumper off the board to force a BIOS recovery. I hop out of bed and go try this, fueled with optimism. I was previously trying to update the BIOS but it wasn't cooperating but this jumper business was new to me. It works! New updated BIOS that, in theory, plays nice with my processor. Let's try Windows!

Nope. But the problem is different. Now, instead of hanging at "Starting Windows", it installs the files, goes to "Starting Windows" and reboots. A soft reboot, the whole system doesn't go down, it just goes back to the Intel splash screen and starts over. Try Ubuntu again and it still crashes.

So, we know the board is good, the PSU is good, the HD isn't the issue since Ubuntu is running off a DVD... signs are pointing now to memory. I guess my next step is to remove a memory stick and try to boot it off one. And to switch sticks if that doesn't work. I read of some people saying to increase the voltage but the board and memory are both rated for 1.65v with a warning on Intel's page not to exceed that. The memory in my "real" computer is 1.5v, I don't know if that would make a difference. Or maybe I'll find something to clock up or down in the BIOS. But I've read people saying they went to one stick to install Win 7, then added the second stick and it worked fine. Here's hoping...

This is why I don't give novices crap for not wanting to build a system. Not that off-the-shelf systems are great but if someone wants to pick parts and have Ibuypower or whoever do the assembly, God bless 'em. I at least had some small advantage in that I built my last system so I'm not timid about putting my hands in the case but the learning curve when things go sour can be a bitch.

[...]

Ok, problem... solved?

Tried switching between sticks and DIMM slots but no dice. Looked at the BIOS and saw it was sending 1.5v to the memory but the memory is rated for 1.65v. Since the board could supposedly take 1.65v, I tried that and BIOS would crash immediately upon booting. Luckily, the second time it gives a "Hey, you f---d up last tie, want to reset and try again?" message.

My memory in my "real" box is 1.5v so I decided to pull out a 2GB stick and try it. Bingo! Windows is installing. Because I want my gravestone to say "Wasn't smart enough to quit while he's ahead" I decided to plug the two new 4GB sticks into this system. It boots and reads me as having 12GB total (2x2, 2x4). So the memory seems to be good, the Intel board just couldn't handle them due to voltage or some other shaman wizardry. So I'll put two of my 2GB 1.5v sticks into the new box and see how it handles and perhaps stick the other two in there as well since I really doubt I need 12GB in this system. Want to make sure this new memory is good for the long term though before I make my final decisions.

Edit: Kingston's site says the memory take 1.5v-1.65v so I don't know for sure if I identified the technical problem accurately. But I got the box working so... whatever. A wizard did it.

Anyway, that's the shit that makes me not hassle anyone who says "Eh, I'll let someone else handle this". It doesn't happen often but, when it does, it can be more puzzling and technical than you'd expect.

Last edited by a moderator:

If you're tech illiterate like me you can have a local shop build one for you -- they'll markup the parts and charge you around $100-150 so extra.

If you're tech illiterate like me you can have a local shop build one for you -- they'll markup the parts and charge you around $100-150 so extra.
After reading Syntax's story I don't think I'm near tech literate enough to be able to handle a problem if something went wrong. I could always wait a few months and save some more money up to cover the cost of a shop building one I guess. I was browsing around the ibuypower.com site and I like its customizing options but it might be a bit out of my budget. I'll have to play around with some more builds to see.

FWIW I've always ordered parts from Newegg and I've sent things back a number of times and never had them fuss or question it.

FWIW I've always ordered parts from Newegg and I've sent things back a number of times and never had them fuss or question it.
I think the problem with someone that doesn't really know what they are doing would be more towards figuring out what part was the one that was bad. But you're right, Newegg has been good about it when I've actually had issues.

I will say we've had a nightmare time with my youngest brother's first PC build. The thing just doesn't work. It'll power on and get to the Windows install screen and then just freeze up. We've tested everything and nothing comes back as bad so we think it's an issue somewhere with the MOBO. He already RMO'd it once and they told him nothing was wrong and sent it back, but we've tested each memory stick, tried different video cards, different HDDs, etc. and can't figure out what else it could be. So, while I'd say things go smooth 9/10 times, the time it goes bad can be a real PITA.
Not that this will help, but I had this exact problem with a prebuilt I got from Digital Storm. I troubleshooted everything on my own but still had the freeze issue, and I RMA'd it twice back to DS. They couldn't figure out what was wrong with it either, so their solution was to do nothing and send it back to me. Ended up being the worst customer service experience of my life dealing with those swindlers, but I was able to get my money back after months and months of back and forth and being ignored by their customer service/management. Good luck. It could also be a PSU issue.

After reading Syntax's story I don't think I'm near tech literate enough to be able to handle a problem if something went wrong. I could always wait a few months and save some more money up to cover the cost of a shop building one I guess. I was browsing around the ibuypower.com site and I like its customizing options but it might be a bit out of my budget. I'll have to play around with some more builds to see.
Well, I'll say again that usually it goes pretty smooth. Also, forum nerds like nothing more than troubleshooting other people's computer issues.

I think the main reason I like building PC's is because I'm usually lucky.  I will say, if you are able, try going to a Micro Center to get parts.  Their price match is pretty liberal and while there's usually a line of people returning things, they've never hassled me when I say things don't work, especially if you get a warranty. 

There's no sending things out for repair and waiting on the depot, you bring it in and say it's broke and you get a gift card, just like that.

The desktop I have now is one I got from ebay about a year ago: 8320e, 8GB, ssd, 1tb hdd, R9 270x, 21 in 1080p monitor windows 8.1 for ~$725 shipped. I've since changed the fan to a hyper evo 212 and the gfx to a 970. It's run fine, but I was willing to roll the dice and have put together a PC b4.

I think putting together a PC at least once is an interesting learning experience. But you really dont save that much money.

A lot of the time being able to address issues on self-built systems comes down to being comfortable spending a lot of time on Google searches and trying things. It's also really important to purchase from a place that won't hassle you about returns in the event that you need to keep swapping components.

I saw Motoki's endorsement for Newegg. If you have a Micro Center nearby, they are definitely worth it since you have a physical location to exchange things, so no waiting a few days for cross shipping or waiting for RMAs to process. Amazon is also great if you need to buy online.

In fact, there is a cool Chrome extension called Hover Hound that you can use on Newegg that will show you the price of the same item on Amazon (and Tiger Direct, but ewwww) which will save you a ton of time in checking prices.

As scary as it seems, and as much as things can go wrong, it's definitely a worthwhile experience if you're willing to give it a try.

hover hound sounds too much like hoveround 

41569_106131439423597_5327152_n.jpg

have you tried the power supply? people always skimp here. Knowing fox's spending habits be the first thing id suspect. Try another psu and see if the behavior changes

That said... Its the best Dirt game since the "original" dirt.... (The series use to be Colin McRae: Rally, then Colin McRae: Dirt, and then just Dirt) and its just got an amazing feel to it. I've only done the first event, all four stages, but there are some drop offs that will make your butt pucker as you speed by them (or just try valiantly to navigate them.) which is amazing considering its just a video game.

Anyhow, allot of fun if this type of racing is enjoyable to you... (Not being able to see your competition, racing against a clock, etc.)
Very much this, did Greece last night and felt like playing DiRT again, except was terrible at it again. BTW, on the forums people mentioned Finland is one of the worst for butt pucker, bunch of jumps that are good at destroying the car and/or tires.

Want to watch the bro race now when they play it, imagine a lot of destroyed cars, rolling off cliffs, etc. =p.

We need to lure more console people here. They get butthurt super easily. Us grizzled PC vets have way too thick skin.

Peeps be like 'I was with yer mom last night' and we be like 'yawn. Whatevs'.

Let's start talking about how Hatsune Miku sux or something.
Nah if you want to lure console people in, especially ones easily butthurt, it's more like:

Hey guys, so umm...Xbox sucks and is for teh gayz! Am I rite?! PS4 4 LYFE!!!!!!!!

The 5-pack is already up to number 9 on their top sellers list. Either GMG doesn't sell very many games or there are a lot of suckers out there. I think we all know the answer to that, though.
So in the next day, expect every Dick, Rikard, Riku, and Riccardo to have a "GMG unboxing video!" on youtube.

Though surprisingly not many for Humble on youtube, but of course someone did one (and a lot of people put up HB reviews) and HB's youtube (who knew they had one?) did an unbox, for shame.

Brown switches make no more noise than membranes.
What switches does everyone prefer for gaming/general computer use? I'm on my first mechanical keyboard (Ducky Shine II) and I like it but I got blue switches and they are very loud.

I cleared them all on PC. Let's just say... watch something while you travel by boat/swim to all those places. Cause it's boring. Much more so than runing/Roach.
I'm still playing. The ocean ones are the worst, they are all guarded by sirens. I've decided I'm letting them pass....
There are literally something like 50 ?s in the ocean too. I did them all but I hated myself the whole time. The best is when you're out in the middle of nowhere and the sirens tear your boat apart and you have to swim back, thats awesome.
I will admit I cheated a bit and used the console commands to reveal all fast travel signposts and allow fast travel from anywhere, but that still wont help much with all of those ocean locations. I enjoy playing the game but some of the world traversal stuff can get a bit tedious.

Nah if you want to lure console people in, especially ones easily butthurt, it's more like:

Hey guys, so umm...Xbox sucks and is for teh gayz! Am I rite?! PS4 4 LYFE!!!!!!!!
I dunno, isn't the PS4 more of a sacred cow with even more thin skinned fanboys? Plus, they've got more weeaboo stuff.
The regulars here already have a really good record for heckling and haranguing the weebs.

You don't really have to be a technical wizard to assemble your own PC. There are plenty of places that offer guidance on picking compatible parts. It's so much easier than it used to be. If you can read and do stuff like assemble a jigsaw puzzle, you ought to be able to manage.

Motoki's advice on using a reputable dealer with a friendly return policy is sound. You can always swap out parts if needed, which makes troubleshooting so much easier.

The best thing about building your own PC is being able to pick exactly what you want. There's no sense in paying for stuff you'll never use. And there are clearly superior parts available -- why just settle for whatever comes in the box?

I'd take the headache of assembling and troubleshooting my own parts over the headache of dealing with trying to get someone else to do the job right. Buying pre-made boxes from shady ebay guys may sound like an easy win, but it could easily turn into a nightmare.

You don't really have to be a technical wizard to assemble your own PC. There are plenty of places that offer guidance on picking compatible parts. It's so much easier than it used to be. If you can read and do stuff like assemble a jigsaw puzzle, you ought to be able to manage.

Motoki's advice on using a reputable dealer with a friendly return policy is sound. You can always swap out parts if needed, which makes troubleshooting so much easier.

The best thing about building your own PC is being able to pick exactly what you want. There's no sense in paying for stuff you'll never use. And there are clearly superior parts available -- why just settle for whatever comes in the box?

I'd take the headache of assembling and troubleshooting my own parts over the headache of dealing with trying to get someone else to do the job right. Buying pre-made boxes from shady ebay guys may sound like an easy win, but it could easily turn into a nightmare.
Yeah, finding a good store with a reasonable stock and friendly return policy is huge. As has been seen with some of the chat that's gone on, most of the time when you're putting things together they just work. Sometimes they don't, be it from mismanufacture, not actually performing to spec or just because of some awkwardness, it's nice to be able to have them take it back from you.

Though, so often this is like one of those 10% problems. More often than not it'll just never happen to you, especially if you're trodding down well worn paths with relatively standard builds.

have you tried the power supply? people always skimp here. Knowing fox's spending habits be the first thing id suspect. Try another psu and see if the behavior changes
It's my brother's build so he has a decent PSU, I think it's a EVGA. I have an old Antec one too that was working last I used it so I might ask him to test that as a last resort. Would the thing boot fine up to a point if it was the PSU?

It's my brother's build so he has a decent PSU, I think it's a EVGA. I have an old Antec one too that was working last I used it so I might ask him to test that as a last resort. Would the thing boot fine up to a point if it was the PSU?
It's entirely possible. Just out of curiosity, if you don't boot to a Windows installer, say just enter the BIOS and let it sit, does it lock up then too? Could be that the PSU runs fine for 20-30 seconds or whatever, which is long enough for you to get into the installer and then crash the whole thing.

I had a similar issue with a build I did with a buddy of mine like 10 years ago where we could get things going for about half a minute, then everything would lock up and turn off. We spent almost a week swapping parts and trying to figure out what was wrong before finally discovering that it was a bad CPU fan when the fan shorted out and set the mobo on fire while we were troubleshooting another part. Good times.

It's entirely possible. Just out of curiosity, if you don't boot to a Windows installer, say just enter the BIOS and let it sit, does it lock up then too? Could be that the PSU runs fine for 20-30 seconds or whatever, which is long enough for you to get into the installer and then crash the whole thing.

I had a similar issue with a build I did with a buddy of mine like 10 years ago where we could get things going for about half a minute, then everything would lock up and turn off. We spent almost a week swapping parts and trying to figure out what was wrong before finally discovering that it was a bad CPU fan when the fan shorted out and set the mobo on fire while we were troubleshooting another part. Good times.
It'll stay on for however long you need it to. It just freezes when windows is installing.

Like going into Bios will be fine and it'll even start Windows install but then freeze. My brother said he was able to fully install Windows 7 at one point but it would then start freezing on start up.

These colored pixels or blocks will start popping up on the screen which made me think it was a GPU issue, but we swapped out for another GPU and still the same issues.

It's my brother's build so he has a decent PSU, I think it's a EVGA.  I have an old Antec one too that was working last I used it so I might ask him to test that as a last resort.  Would the thing boot fine up to a point if it was the PSU?

a flakey psu can do a lot of stuff, and even a quality brand can be a lemon. Items power up a different parts of boot so sitting in the bios may not do much. In the same vein, if the psu isnt giving clean power it might kinda work bu then cause hangs because a certain peripheral doent get what it wants when it wants it.

a flakey psu can do a lot of stuff, and even a quality brand can be a lemon. Items power up a different parts of boot so sitting in the bios may not do much. In the same vein, if the psu isnt giving clean power it might kinda work bu then cause hangs because a certain peripheral doent get what it wants when it wants it.
Your mother doesn't always give me what I want when I want it. Should I switch her out too?

you got everything set to defaults in the bios? I.e. no overclocking, no ram XMP profiles, you got your hdd mode set to AHCI (this can be a big one, raid vs ahci vs ide modes)

You can check to see if the motherboard has a display with an error code on it and look that code up in the manual. If the mb doesn't have it you should be able to buy a small pci expansion card that will do the same thing relatively cheap at a computer supply store.

It won't neccessarily give you a completely clear answer but it may point you in the right direction or rule certain things out.

Tremorbros, found an easy way to rack up some coins. On the default Supersonic page, go to videos Free and find the 50 Shades of Black trailer. Click it to expand and you don't actually have to watch the video, just CTRL + F and type in "skip" and it should take you to the skip link. Then you just have to share it on Fakebook. Rinse and repeat a bunch of times.

A lot of times you can probably get around the Fakebook portion by doing the same thing. The frame width (conveniently?) cuts off the skip step button.

Also consider booting off of a USB stick or DVD into Ubuntu or some other Linux variant. Whether or not that works can troubleshoot if it's a hardware issue or a Windows compatibility issue.

It'll stay on for however long you need it to. It just freezes when windows is installing.

Like going into Bios will be fine and it'll even start Windows install but then freeze. My brother said he was able to fully install Windows 7 at one point but it would then start freezing on start up.

These colored pixels or blocks will start popping up on the screen which made me think it was a GPU issue, but we swapped out for another GPU and still the same issues.
No idea on this particular description, but did you swap out SATA cables? I've twice had weird issues that ended up being caused by a dodgy cable.

Have you considered that maybe it's an UNIX machine & is just barfing up Windoze? :D/

I'll show myself out.

bread's done
Back