Steam+ Deals Mega Thread (All PC Gaming Deals)

Neuro5i5

CAGiversary!
Feedback
151 (100%)
This thread will attempt to provide a place to discuss past/present/future PC gaming deals. While mainly focusing on Steam games, any standout sales may also be presented. I will not be updating every Daily/Weekly/etc. sale. The tools to help individuals become a smarter shopper will be provided below.

See this POST for links to store sale pages, threads of interest and other tools to help you become a more informed PC game shopper.

Last edited:
About the Dragon Age games - I really don't know how anyone can really go wrong w/ Dragon Age Origins: Ultimate + Dragon Age: Inquisition.

DAO was that classic CRPG revival (i.e. party-based strategic-combat w/ strategic pause) that for its time also had some modern sensibilities (i.e. One Inventory for the whole party) + good graphics quality (well, for its time). It felt like a love letter to the fans of their BG series w/ better graphics and a dark-fantasy theme.

DAI just took some of the great things about DAO (i.e. brought the tac-cam back & some of the strategic-combat stuff), threw in some new stuff (i.e. Assassin's Creed-like collect-a-thons and huge land-masses for its open-world areas that you can explore), and the best stuff DA2 had to offer (i.e. the flashy-looking combat) - and cobbled up something truly outstanding, IMHO.

About Dragon Age 2 - well, that is another matter entirely. People love to knock that game and if there was ever one game I'd love to work on a Remaster and Overhaul for, this is the one. So much could be improved to make this game great. The lack of customization, removal of the tac-cam, removal of a lot of DAO's strategic-combat really hurt, and a lack of huge scope in the story (huge scope in the story was something both DAO + DAI did great) really held this game back from reaching greatness. I did love how personal a lot of the story + events here were, but it never also had the big scope we found & loved with both the story from DAO + DAI.

More so than anything for me with Dragon Age 2, the recycling of environments was the biggest offense by a mile - but it was the stories, characters, and the very interesting 3 Act structure (which I still think could be improved, if done + handled right) that constantly keep me plugging away at it, despite my laundry list of issues w/ the game. 

Last edited by a moderator:
The hype on No Man's Sky is huge right now, so much so that GameStop employees even know about it. It just depends on which you'd prefer more, an indie exploration game that will probably have server issues for about a week or an Eidos Square Enix franchise action-shooter.

I'm thinking of getting No Man's Sky for number 5000, FWIW.

Seasonal Poll:

About to hit 4000 in my backlog looking to fakeybro big so...

Deus Ex: Mankind Divided

or

No Man’s Sky

P.S. Have gaben bux so only from steam if you want to make other recommendations.
6Maqb_s-200x150.gif

Why decide? Go with Deus Ex: Mankind Divided for #3999 and No Man's Sky for #4000. It's the only way to truly be a Seasonal.

I want a grey market NMS key...but it seems like it's only going directly to le steam....so I guess I'm full price'in that mofo
I think Funstock has been doing 20% but their retail is higher so I don't know if that's some Brexit pound taking a dump thing or they are shadily overcompensating for the coupon or what.

My plan is to stack the one time 10% coupon at Humble with a 10% monthly discount when the August bundle is revealed as long as the September early unlock doesn't completely suck. Although judging this month's and last month's it probably will.

or

No Man’s Sky
NMS has the potential to be much more interesting. There's a big unknown with this game though. The developer's previous credits consist only of the Joe Danger series. Those are decent enough games, but are a loooong way from a sandbox space game.

On the other hand, with DEMD you know pretty much what you are getting. And you know the Squeenix business model: heavily discount everything Eidos makes.

So, the game I've been working on is finally coming out next week :D

http://store.steampowered.com/app/299800/

No pre-order? NO CARDS!? :whee:

I think Funstock has been doing 20% but their retail is higher so I don't know if that's some Brexit pound taking a dump thing or they are shadily overcompensating for the coupon or what.

My plan is to stack the one time 10% coupon at Humble with a 10% monthly discount when the August bundle is revealed as long as the September early unlock doesn't completely suck. Although judging this month's and last month's it probably will.
I just did this, thanks for the heads up

Just a heads up, you dont get a code right away, dont know if u knew that.

Hardware question (sorry Motoki);  what brand of monitor have people had luck with in regards to longevity?  My Acer died but lasted many years.  I have wondered if Samsung, Dell, LG would be considered long lasting.  

Thank you

Hardware question (sorry Motoki); what brand of monitor have people had luck with in regards to longevity? My Acer died but lasted many years. I have wondered if Samsung, Dell, LG would be considered long lasting.

Thank you
I have an old Samsung that's probably 10 years old and still running fine, but it isn't my primary. My main is an Acer, and that one's about 5 years I think. I think I only paid $150-ish for the Acer, so it wasn't even a high end one at the time. I haven't had other brands so far.

Hardware question (sorry Motoki); what brand of monitor have people had luck with in regards to longevity? My Acer died but lasted many years. I have wondered if Samsung, Dell, LG would be considered long lasting.

Thank you
I just got an Acer myself, but my Samsung is like 8 years old and still going strong.

Seasonal Poll:

or

No Man’s Sky

P.S. Have gaben bux so only from steam if you want to make other recommendations.
I'm not the one for commemorative games, but I say go for something truly epic and memorable and not the latest AAA pre-order or hype thing. By some eternal Early Access trash that will constantly remind you of it.

Seasonal Poll:

or

No Man’s Sky

personally i'd buy deus ex, the first one was great, and i'll be skeptical of nms until its release. i could see it being a great game but i also wouldn't be surprised if it wound up being a repetitive bore fest with middling combat and whose only real calling card is the vast size of the game. i could see buying either one. nms is probably more exciting, but deus ex i think is a solid bet to be a very good good

About the Dragon Age games - I really don't know how anyone can really go wrong w/ Dragon Age Origins: Ultimate + Dragon Age: Inquisition.

DAO was that classic CRPG revival (i.e. party-based strategic-combat w/ strategic pause) that for its time also had some modern sensibilities (i.e. One Inventory for the whole party) + good graphics quality (well, for its time). It felt like a love letter to the fans of their BG series w/ better graphics and a dark-fantasy theme.

DAI just took some of the great things about DAO (i.e. brought the tac-cam back & some of the strategic-combat stuff), threw in some new stuff (i.e. Assassin's Creed-like collect-a-thons and huge land-masses for its open-world areas that you can explore), and the best stuff DA2 had to offer (i.e. the flashy-looking combat) - and cobbled up something truly outstanding, IMHO.
Dragon age origins was ugly even when it was released. And I wouldn't consider the flashy looking combat being some of the best stuff DA2 had to offer. The combat from DA:O to DA2 took a huge step backward.

Dragon age origins was ugly even when it was released. And I wouldn't consider the flashy looking combat being some of the best stuff DA2 had to offer. The combat from DA:O to DA2 took a huge step backward.
I wouldn't say DAO was ugly, per se. It was good, I thought - but like many BioWare titles upon release over the course of their history, there are much better looking RPG's on the market; i.e. see how Morrowind looked tons better than NWN upon release on the technical side. Also, artistically - DAO wasn't that spectacular, either; as DA2 had a much more interesting baroque-style look to it than the generic dark-fantasy theme DAO had going on. BioWare games normally do not have the cutting edge graphics that other titles often have - you can look at their Infinity Engine games (BG1+2) + Aurora Engines games (see NWN), for starters.

As great as DAO's combat was for the strategic-style of combat (namely, just watching your tactics put into action from how you queued them up & watch enemies fall b/c of how you set them up & how massively you damaged them was fantastic) - the action and animations themselves just didn't look all that spectacular at all to see on the screen at all. Sometimes...movement just didn't look fluid, felt unresponsive, or flat-out felt clunky - which was often depending how the game actually handled how you queued-up your attacks and their transitions from such + how not-so-spectacular the AI's path-finding was.

About Dragon Age 2's combat - I was ONLY talking about how flashy and appealing it looked to see on the screen in that sentence as a strength. Every sword-swing, every spell, everything looked amazing to watch and more action-esque. Unfortunately, as I briefly pointed-out in my post: they pretty much forgot the strategy elements in DA2 - which I think is what you're alluding to as the part of taking a "huge step backward":

About Dragon Age 2 - well, that is another matter entirely. People love to knock that game and if there was ever one game I'd love to work on a Remaster and Overhaul for, this is the one. So much could be improved to make this game great. The lack of customization, removal of the tac-cam, removal of a lot of DAO's strategic-combat really hurt, and a lack of huge scope in the story (huge scope in the story was something both DAO + DAI did great) really held this game back from reaching greatness.
DAI (somehow) did a pretty great job of somehow finding a very nice balance b/t keeping some of the strategic elements of combat that DAO had and having that appealing + flashy-looking combat down-path that DA2 introduced.

Golf with your Friends is great, but with only 3 levels there's not much content. It's a bit like Vertiginous Golf but without the super crazy courses. Levels in Golf with your Friends are more traditional, which isn't a bad thing. Vertiginous is more complete ATM and has more things going for it such as powerups and a level creator. Golf with your Friends lets you change the shape of the ball and the gravity which makes things interesting. Both games have different advantages, maybe GwyF will end up being the better game in the long run if the devs keep adding more content (3 more levels are planned, a level editor, and more modes).

Lets get back on topic, please.

If you've ever asked yourself what it would be like if Ubisoft made an open world RPG based on their patented Open World Formulae, the answer would be Dragon Age Inquisition.

If they actually finish the Golf with Your Friends features they have planned it will be a really great game. I had a blast playing it but as Spoder said, the content is limited. Only having 3 courses really limits the amount of time you want to play it in a single session. Also, they need to add a search feature to the hosted games. Having to search through 50 pages of games to find the one you want is annoying. 8/10, would bro night it again.

Thank you
I have great luck with Dell monitors. Pretty sure they are the only high quality thing Dell makes. Just recently retired a 2001FP (20" 4:3) that was ancient but still working for a 34" Dell ultrawide. Other family members are also still running Dells that are many years old. Only have experience with a single monitor but my 24" HP has also been going strong for about 3-4 years now. Of the 3 names you mention I doubt you can really go wrong.

Thank you
My parents have an AOC LCD monitor from 2003 that they replaced last year (with a bigger IPS screen, also from AOC.)

I have an LG from 2009 which I replaced as a main screen in 2011 (with a dirt cheap Philips.) It stopped working earlier this year (just displays grey when turned on), and I replaced it with another LG.

Thank you
I have a 23 inch ASUS that I got on-sale almost 2 years ago for about $130 from Best Buy. Its legitimately the best monitor Ive ever owned. If you can find a deal on an ASUS, its definitely recommended. Look around as well as there's almost always one retailer that has a good monitor on sale somewhere and Id also recommend to avoid refurbs of monitors as dead pixels are much more likely. Previously I had a smaller Dell which was rock solid for me, but it was only 720p and it was time to get a better one.

I have a 23 inch ASUS that I got on-sale almost 2 years ago for about $130 from Best Buy. Its legitimately the best monitor Ive ever owned. If you can find a deal on an ASUS, its definitely recommended. Look around as well as there's almost always one retailer that has a good monitor on sale somewhere and Id also recommend to avoid refurbs of monitors as dead pixels are much more likely. Previously I had a smaller Dell which was rock solid for me, but it was only 720p and it was time to get a better one.
+1 on the asus. I used to run 2 24in (gave one to the gf when she got a new pc and replaced with a benq for the 144) and both are going strong 6 years later. I also have a 27in IPS asus at work that looks fantastic that ive had for a few years

I've had an LG that's lasted like... six or so years. No idea if they even make monitors anymore.
They come from Detruire's area of the globe, so just ask him. It'll probably cost you 4 dingo tails and a joey to get a new one.

I've had an LG that's lasted like... six or so years. No idea if they even make monitors anymore.
They still do. Recently I had to replaced my monitor and went with the LG 29" Ultrawide. Wider FOV is a sight of beauty for FPS and Racing games.

If anyone had the budget, Dell is the way to go, and their warranty service on premium panels are great. If not, the next tier should be LG, Samsung, BenQ, or ASUS.

I asked DrSasquatch to play Russian Horror Story and how he's a sleep.  

If you want to see someone sleep while trying to get through an awful translation of a Russian visual novel, now's your chance!

bread's done
Back