Steam+ Deals Mega Thread (All PC Gaming Deals)

Neuro5i5

CAGiversary!
Feedback
151 (100%)
This thread will attempt to provide a place to discuss past/present/future PC gaming deals. While mainly focusing on Steam games, any standout sales may also be presented. I will not be updating every Daily/Weekly/etc. sale. The tools to help individuals become a smarter shopper will be provided below.

See this POST for links to store sale pages, threads of interest and other tools to help you become a more informed PC game shopper.

Last edited:
re: Archifarm

I notice that every time I interrupt Archi it drops a card auto for me and when I am done playing KF2 it drops multiple cards at once (or while I was playing). Usually, it's just like 7-8, but I just finished right now and had 31 new cards in the 20 minutes I played KF2. So it seems there's sort of a way to get the trick to work using Archi. Just start up an actual game and leave it on for a bit every few hours or so.
Yea thats doing basically the same thing, in either IM or ASF your telling steam that you're switching games, and thats what triggers the glitch drops. I used to do it on ASF, just set to 2hr idle time and stop/start ASF over and over. The diff is with IM when you start playing a game it doesnt update steam and stop the idle, i.e. your info just shows you still idling whatever it was you were idling. With asf it interrupts and stops the idle, then you start a new game, same thing as flipping games in IM

Last edited by a moderator:
Golden Joystick winners revealed:

https://www.bluesnews.com/cgi-bin/board.pl?action=viewthread&boardid=1&threadid=185683

Looks like Ashly Burch / Horizon Zero Dawn; PUBG; and Nintendo / Zelda cleaned house.

Final Fantasy goes into their Hall of Fame.

Sid Meier takes home Lifetime Achievement Award.
The Nintendo (Zelda), PlayStation (Horizon Zero Dawn), and PC (PUBG) GOTY winners all make sense, but the Xbox GOTY is Cuphead? I think that says it all about the state of Xbox considering the game was available on PC as well.

The Nintendo (Zelda), PlayStation (Horizon Zero Dawn), and PC (PUBG) GOTY winners all make sense, but the Xbox GOTY is Cuphead? I think that says it all about the state of Xbox considering the game was available on PC as well.
Was there anything worthwhile that was exclusive to the XB1 this year...?

I know Cuphead is only on Windows & PC, but....where are the real AAA X1 exclusives?

I think that says it all about the state of Xbox considering the game was available on PC as well.
Irrelevant now. Almost all of the Xbox Exclusives hit the PC with Play Anywhere. I think it speaks to the quality of Cuphead, although the X1 is lacking in great first party titles. It also won best visual design over every other platform's possibilities.

I bought an Xbox one x, I have a GTX 1080 and now wondering why I bought it in the first place. I play Xbox with friends, but I think I may return it and get a black Friday special one S with the extra controller and put $270 back in my pocket.

I bought an Xbox one x, I have a GTX 1080 and now wondering why I bought it in the first place.
178GB download/install of Quantum Break XB1X Version.

quantum-break-xbox-one-x-update-740x555.jpg

And this:

1937282.jpg

Not surprising they've already run out of Hand of Fate 2 keys for that Hunger Clock promo.  $30 new game and the other stuff is $10 or less early access/already been discounted stuff.

What the shit has this thread devolved too now
Like it always has devolved into: lots of (wonderful) non-sense.

Especially when there's not really much for PC game sales going on, at this moment....and especially often these days and age, for that matter, while I'm at it here.

Not surprising they've already run out of Hand of Fate 2 keys for that Hunger Clock promo. $30 new game and the other stuff is $10 or less early access/already been discounted stuff.
Honestly this charity thing is a lot more appealing to me than the humble care package bundle. But maybe that's just me.

Honestly this charity thing is a lot more appealing to me than the humble care package bundle. But maybe that's just me.
They still have the $10 for random keys. Of course, the ones I got weren't anything amazing but those were on top of HoF2. Maybe if you pick the random key option alone you'll get better/more keys?

Was there anything worthwhile that was exclusive to the XB1 this year...?

I know Cuphead is only on Windows & PC, but....where are the real AAA X1 exclusives?
That's not historically been one of Microsoft's strengths. Frankly, one of the more appealing parts of the prospect of owning an XBONE is that I can play some of the same things on my computer and the console if I want to (see Bah's post below), and that Microsoft at least is showing a slight modicum of interest in creating some kind of parity between the Windows 10 and XBOX platforms.

Sony has always had the better range and quality of exclusives, unless your primary interest in gaming is in multiplayer FPS games. Also, I think it was a boneheaded decision for Sony to a) not even contemplate backwards-compatibility on the PS4 and b) not include a 4K Blu-Ray drive in the PS4. If it weren't for b) there, i'd actually probably be looking at getting one of the sale PS4s instead of an XBONE--my brother already owns a PS4 so we could swap out games on a regular basis if I picked up one too.

Irrelevant now. Almost all of the Xbox Exclusives hit the PC with Play Anywhere. I think it speaks to the quality of Cuphead, although the X1 is lacking in great first party titles. It also won best visual design over every other platform's possibilities.
Well, it certainly has an interesting visual design, although Kotaku has an fascinating article about the whitewashing of the racism of that animation period in America; said whitewashing appears to be a deliberate decision by the devs (here's the article the Kotaku post was based on). It's a significant creative achievement, but using this artistic technique to skin your "hard-as-balls" platformer doesn't necessarily make it a good game. If there were ever a game that I would rather Mooby than play, it would be that one.

(here's the article the Kotaku post was based on).
"Unwinnable" is right. Make a conscious effort to avoid racist stereotypes from early animation and instead get bitched at for "ignoring" and "whitewashing" the racist aspects of early animation. It's a video game, not a treatise on early 20th century racial depictions in art.

"Unwinnable" is right. Make a conscious effort to avoid racist stereotypes from early animation and instead get bitched at for "ignoring" and "whitewashing" the racist aspects of early animation. It's a video game, not a treatise on early 20th century racial depictions in art.
I think the author makes a fair point. It's a thin line between "making a conscious effort to avoid racist stereotypes" and "glossing over stereotypes in an ahistorical manner." If we want video games to be taken seriously as art, then we should be prepared to have them analyzed as such.

Eh, it's not a historical document.  It's a game that pays homage to a classic art style.  And made a conscious attempt to not replicate the sins of that style as they did it.  It feels to me as though I tried to make a movie paying homage to 80s sex comedies and also thought "I'm going to leave out the rape jokes and stuff that maybe weren't so cool" and then someone complains that leaving those out wasn't enough -- I didn't have a scene with the characters sitting around discussing how sexual harassment and assault are no joking matter, so shame on me.

Personally, I don't care if games are taken seriously as art or not.

I think game 'journalists' should stop writing about vidya games like they're the Mona Lisa or To Kill a Mocking Bird.  But in a society with people wondering what to do with a BA in English... well... there you go...

Games are art, IMHO.

Why are we even discussing if games are art or aren't? Or if we need games to be considered art by "critics" or other people who aren't gamers?

We love our art...and that's all that matters.

Art captures something and makes it matter, really making us feel or think about something - whether its a story, graphics, characters, a world, game design, level design, the music, or whatever the case may be. 

Games do it different than most mediums - b/c we can actually interact with the story, game, or perform actions. Movies don't normally have this aspect at all. Books can let the person's imagination go wild, picturing whatever the writer has provided for details or the reader can fill in some blanks if the writer hasn't provided certain elements (purposely or not).

Some games, they look like gorgeous moving paintings. Some games, they're art b/c they look like moving comic books. Some games - they have these huge, detailed beautiful open-worlds to explore. Some games, they push graphics in such a technical manner, we are simply amazed at how far technical quality has came.

Some games, have insanely good writing like Planescape: Torment and their quality of writing is artful in itself. Some games like Bioshock Infinite, make us look and think about its subject matter, such as racism and violence. 

Frankly, I don't think PC looks too good considering its winner is a buggy poorly optimized mess that hasn't even officially released yet... Also said game is going to be on XBone shortly so that cuts both ways to be honest. (Don't get me wrong, I love PUBG.)

Now, I've not played Cuphead but I can honestly say Forza Motorsports 7 (again also on PC) is an amazing game. Its go a few kinks but one crash to the desktop in 123 hours while in a race (likely 6 or so outside of a race) isn't horrible for a modern game consider its release and patch mentality.

Talk of loot boxes in it are somewhat overblown. Most cars are cheaper than previous Forza games, yes there is no bonus credits for assists but credit payouts for AI difficult is higher... The only real issue (outside of performance) was VIP and it has been fixed. And as of right now no real money can be used. (Even if added I still think this is the easiest Forza to get cars in. I have over 300 cars already.)

Games are art, IMHO.

Some games are art... Most are not. Most are simply code placed together to make money. Now, the same can be said for most movies and TV (and I agree with that) but an actor/actress can do an artsy project in a few weeks and get back to making a living... Most game designers cannot and do not. They make a product were the bottom line is what matters.

I think the author makes a fair point. It's a thin line between "making a conscious effort to avoid racist stereotypes" and "glossing over stereotypes in an ahistorical manner." If we want video games to be taken seriously as art, then we should be prepared to have them analyzed as such.
I'm sorry but we don't live in a society (at least in America) thats thoughtful or educated enough to have that sort of a discussion... Any sort of racial stereotype (no matter the reason) is met with anger and protests. To have them would have done MS, Studio MDHR, and the IP serious damage. For the IP and Studio MDMR it likely would have been suicide. (MS has enough money in their coffers to survive for a very long time.)

See above reply to the toaster.

There was a time when I cared about which game won what and what people thought...

...oh wait, no there wasn't.

IdleMaster glitching still works for me.  I just let it run overnight to hit the 2hr mark then cycle what's left in the morning.  Of course, I don't wait until I have five hundred cards to farm either.

IdleMaster glitching still works for me. I just let it run overnight to hit the 2hr mark then cycle what's left in the morning. Of course, I don't wait until I have five hundred cards to farm either.
That means your account hasn't been restricted due to refunds. If you've refunded anything within a few months it gets upped to 3 hours.

I thought it was no time restriction and then upped to two hours if you refund.

But I indeed have not refunded anything in a long time (year-plus) so IM works for me.

I thought it was no time restriction and then upped to two hours if you refund.

But I indeed have not refunded anything in a long time (year-plus) so IM works for me.
It was originally 2 hours and then they upped it to 3 hours recently. Technically if you haven't refunded anything you can do the glitch before 2 hours but it won't be as consistent.

Games are art, IMHO.
I will never agree to this statement. I will even go further and say the people who keep pushing these 2deep4u (and me and everyone else) 'artistic' not-games have led to an overall decline of the industry.

Games are entertainment. Sure you can say it's entertaining to go to the museum but you get my point. Or let me put it this way... someone who designs a game like Torchlight 2 or Hand of Fate is more of an 'artist' than someone who designs a not-game like Dear Esther. It takes practically no effort, ability, or imagination to design a two hours first person 'walker' game with some shitty prose. It takes quite a bit of those qualities to develop an actual game with encounters, rule-sets, items, combat, in addition to not-quite-as-shitty prose.

Too many of these not-games today hide behind the rubric of 'artistic interpretation' or other weasel words. It's just a clever rhetorical defense to argue: 'You can't tell me muh game sucks because it's all subjective!!!' And those games do suck... and they drag down the industry when people shell out $30+ for them because it encourages more snake oil salesmen to peddle them to the masses.

And then you have Ashley Burch winning some video game award (not that those had any form of integrity to begin with)...

And then you have Ashley Burch winning some video game award (not that those had any form of integrity to begin with)...
I have no idea what the "Breakthrough Award" is but giving it to a veteran like Ashly Burch seems odd to me based on award name alone. On the other hand, I guess I don't actually care either.

Anyone know if Steam Cards are going on sale this Black Friday?
Not likely anything impressive. As mentioned Fry's will sometimes offer a slight discount, but you have to have a Frys near you to take advantage. Target has done sales on them too, but its a similarly slight one and is also in store only, so YMMV.

I find the best way to stock up on wallet at below $ value is peer to peer. There's always people offering X of wallet or gift cards they dont want for a percentage of Paypal. Typically on places like Reddit (SteamGameSwap and GiftCardXChange subreddits). You can transfer doing the marketplace swap where you put an item (non-commodity) up for the price of the wallet you're receiving and the person with the wallet "buys" the item for that price. Obviously if you're looking for gift cards to actually give as gifts, that's not feasible.

There's a few online stores that sometimes offer discounts on them. PCGameSupply will sometimes offer discounts on them, but they're always tiny.

bread's done
Back