Steam+ Deals Mega Thread (All PC Gaming Deals)

Neuro5i5

CAGiversary!
Feedback
151 (100%)
This thread will attempt to provide a place to discuss past/present/future PC gaming deals. While mainly focusing on Steam games, any standout sales may also be presented. I will not be updating every Daily/Weekly/etc. sale. The tools to help individuals become a smarter shopper will be provided below.

See this POST for links to store sale pages, threads of interest and other tools to help you become a more informed PC game shopper.

Last edited:
Impressions of Has-Been heroes.

I decided to play it as I was reminded of it when IG rebundled it.

Graphics: Honestly a pretty mixed bag. It's not ugly per say, but it feels kind of amateur and mobile like. Spell effects look alright, but everything else is pretty basic. 6/10

Sound: Music is basic adventuring fare with some medieval sounding music. There are no voices and characters only grunt. The sounds for stuff hitting and stuff sounds OK enough. 6/10

Story: Barely there. You take the princesses to school with 3 heroes. That's it. 2/10

Gameplay: You better hope the RNG is with you because there are a lot of random factors. The boss of certain areas may not be random though. There are shops along the map and other things like camps to get back stamina. Stamina is your and your opponents block meter and shows how many hits a thing can take before it starts taking damage. There are 3 lanes corresponding to your 3 heroes.

The tutorial was confusing as heck and is hard to control on PC. I can see why the console ports are not well regarded. This thing only controls OK with a mouse and maybe touch screen if it's on mobile. Basically each enemy has stamina and you try to get rid of it exactly with your actions. This ends up stunning opponents and you do a lot of damage after hitting them afterwards, which get rids of their max stamina by 1, and sends them flying back. You can combo in a way by attacking and then switching lanes and doing stuff there. This is essential for stunning and winning in the game. You also have skills which do things, but I like the ones for doing damage and for making attacks stronger. These skills and attack timings are on timers. 

This game is hard as nails too. You will lose. When you win your first run, the game becomes a lot harder and becomes longer. RNG comes into play with how hard fights are, what items you get, what you see on the map, if magic is available, etc... You can mitigate it a bit by being good at stunning and sending monsters flying, but it helps having more power and cooler abilities. Frankly i'm getting OK at the game enough to get by the 1st area most of the time. It takes many losses though, and you unlock stuff by collecting souls from dead enemies. You wont know what they do till you get them in the game and reveal what they do.

Overall I think it's OK, but feels clunky. The controls are janky sometimes, especially for switching lanes. I wish you could switch lanes without attacking, but eh. 8/10

Fun Factor: Overall I was enjoying myself enough. It feels clunky at times, and maybe a bit too long for moving around the map, and sometimes battles are just hard, but it's alright. This is worth a play especially at bundled prices. I likely wont play it too long, but I'll enjoy it likely for about 10 hours or so. 7.5/10

I would recommend getting the IG bundle with it if you don't have it, and like rouge lite games, or possibly Plants vs. Zombies like games. I enjoyed it enough for sure.

Last edited by a moderator:
I finished up SOMA last night.

I liked it, but it wasn't super amazing.

Spoiler heavy "review" below.

Gameplay was typical Frictional (I think... for some reason I've never fully played another Frictional game, but from what I did play of them, they're all similar).  Atmospheric walking/hiding simulator with a few basic puzzles.

As a lifelong trekkie, the story was meh.  The game's "are you still you after your mind is copied?" is identical to Star Trek's "are you still you after you use a transporter?" that has been a thing forever. 

The game's plot also features "are AIs alive?".  This was a bit more interesting as I haven't seen that discussion as much.  If an AI is alive, at what point does an AI become alive.  Is it only alive if the AI was a copy of a real person?

It would be interesting if SOMA "phoned home" to report the choices people made in the game.  Did people avoid killing the "human AIs" but not blink at killing the "non-human AIs"?  Did anyone delete their brain scan copy in the computer, but avoid draining the battery of their old body after the transfer to the high pressure suit?

I originally thought the game's story was going to be a "all in his head" kind of thing.  Since you arrive in the damaged station after the brain scan to attempt to fix brain damage.  And you would be fixing the station which would fix your real brain.  I kept waiting for that to be a reveal for about half of the game.

I both liked and disliked the fact that choices don't matter.  I like games where there are multiple paths and different endings, but I also like games that have a set story and are fatalistic. 

I really wished the game had an option to turn off music.  I'm sure I'm the minority, but atmospheric games are always ruined by music.  There were several times in the game when it would be dark and creepy with atmospheric sounds in the background and then boom, music would start playing because something happened.  Totally ruins the vibe.

I'm not sure if it was a bug in my system or deliberate, but there was a texture loading glitch during the ark ending.  I liked it as it seemed to illustrate the ark wasn't perfect and "life" on it wouldn't be as nice as originally thought.

The completionist in me liked that all the achievements are story based and unmissable. 

1. Use Wesp's Unofficial Patch: Basic Version or Tessera's True Patch on PlayThrough 1 (PT1).

First off, you'll need one of those patches to flat-out boot-up the game anyways. Also, those two patches mostly have bug fixes and a few changes/restorations. You can save any other mods or Wesp's Unofficial Patch: Plus Version for PT2 or above. If you have V:TM-B on GOG, just do Wesp's UP Basic on PT1; it comes equipped with that anyways.

2. Don't play as Malkavian on PT1.

Malkavian's are bat-crap crazy - they have their own lingo and speak in riddles, metaphors, and whatever else...so their lines are different than ALL the other classes. You might not even understand what the original dialogue line was, unless you know the game very well. Also, they talk to stop-signs, talk to other inanimate objects, hear voices, interrupt things - as entertaining as this is, that might be better suited to deal w/ on a later PT.

3. Don't play as Nosferatu on PT1.

You have a limited amount of Masquerades you can break. Break enough of them, game over. If you even get spotted by a human b/c you're so ugly and hideous as a Nosferatu, you're going to violate the Masquerade. And you'll likely get attacked, too. You're likely going to stick to the sewers to move around the game-world, if you go Nosferatu...so you don't get spotted by anyone. Sure, there are times when you can redeem the Masqeurades and do something very humane to replenish a Masquerade - but you're better suited playing that type of character on a replay. Also, stealth approach isn't for everyone and Nosferatu are best-suited for that approach. Yeah, stealth approaches aren't always the most action-packed and not always the most straight-forward - so this character isn't for everyone.

4. Back 1/3rd of the game is an action-fest.

When you decide who you side with (trust me, you'll know when this happens), I'm going to hope you already have sunk lots of points already in Action skills (combat, magic, guns, defense, etc). If not, you should do so...ASAP. And hopefully, it ain't too late b/c the game can get tougher in the last 1/3rd.
Good advice. Honestly for me the first 2/3 of the game was pretty great and then he last 1/3 sucked. If i ever play the game again it'll be as a malkavian and I'll just play til the action fest picks up then quit. The combat is okay for a 15 year old narrative + choices and consequences rpg but to focus on it ruins the game.

The set of games on sale change on the Razer's game store.

Sword Art Online: Fatal Bullets is 15%- $­42.49 comes down to $27.48 with the $15- off coupon.

Some other games are on sale too

Some pretty decent exclusive deals. Surge is $15 with $15 coupon code in return.
I decided to grab this, thanks. I had the promo code from launch week still in my cart (i guess?) and the total was $11.90 for me. +vouchers and monopoly money i think

My recollection is that the bit after you meet the Oriental vampires is a slog of combat after combat. I think I ended up quitting the game around that point in frustration. The last act of the game feels very rushed, rather like the end of KOTOR II, except I'm pretty sure I finished that one.
I think on my first play-through, the back 1/3rd I was fine with b/c I played the game when it was (somewhat) new and RPG/FPS/TPS/action hybrids weren't as common.

But on replays, yeah - it gets more and more apparent with each playthrough; especially if you try to not play as an action-y character. Some of the story & character stuff really does feel rushed and some things fall apart for me; this is basically right after you jump in the cab and have the cab ride decision that shapes the back 1/3 of the game.

Some sub-plots and stories feel like they never get proper endings either, if you go a certain direction with that; i.e. the Heather Poe plot-line in one path....

If you send her away before a certain quest, you get a proper finish...of you letting her leave. Nothing really comes after that though, which is kind of unfortunate b/c she seems to have trouble leaving you alone no matter what, throughout the course of the game.

If you don't send her away before a certain quest, she gets killed. Supposedly, one of the dev's spoke up on this. They never finished putting in the final part where her ghost was supposed to talk to you to give you closure, but time ran out and they had to wrap the game up.

It feels like Activision pushed the game out of the door way too early and/or asked Troika to make the game more action-packed later on, too.

Thanks for the heads up, grabbed this too.

I'm guessing the $15 is sent later on via e-mail?
Yeah, voucher comes later. It's the weekend so it might not show up until Friday and it's a $15 off $30 voucher (they don't clarify that in the ad). I used my old voucher to get Surge and Cuphead for $16 total.

Also, some people reported that the rgslaunch15 code still worked for them (if you haven't used it before) so that's worth a try.

Graphics card prices are starting to dip back to semi-reasonable levels.  I'm seeing some 1060's for around $260 albeit a 3GB version.  Dunno if ZOMG 6GB of VRAMZ is going to be needed in the next couple of years unless you're doing 4k/1440 or whatever.

I still want to hold out for the 1160's or 1170's but thinking that will be another six months off.

Graphics card prices are starting to dip back to semi-reasonable levels. I'm seeing some 1060's for around $260 albeit a 3GB version. Dunno if ZOMG 6GB of VRAMZ is going to be needed in the next couple of years unless you're doing 4k/1440 or whatever.

I still want to hold out for the 1160's or 1170's but thinking that will be another six months off.
How much more $ is the 6GB version now? If you can't wait around for the 1160's & 1170's and/or you can somehow score an insane deal on a 1060 6GB - probably better off with that, for future-proofing with the 6GB & having a bigger VRAM buffer zone for better textures and graphics settings.

Most games at either 1080p here, I was anywhere in VRAM usage of 2GB to 4GB on the 4GB 960 at 1080p Ultra; and 1440p with the 970 at 1440p with Medium-to-High or better. I normally take an overall setting that I like and then customize from there w/ settings to try to get better performance - so I don't always put V Sync, Tress FX, Supersampling, and other framerate killing stuff on.

But often, I do limit FPS to somewhere b/t 30fps to 60fps in-game (if they allow it in-game - some games like Dishonored 2 and GR Wildlands have it in-game in their Graphics Menu), or via NVidia Control Panel, NVidia Inspector, or MSI Afterburner.

EDIT:

I feel the same. 3GB is what my old 7950 had in 2012. Plus those 3GB 1060s have the gimpy chips compared to their 6GB brothers.

Anyway, I'd call 4GB my minimum.
I like the way Syntax thinks here.

If you can swing $40 more, I'm seeing 1060 6GB models going for around the $300 mark.  I'm not a big fan of "Here's an option more expensive than what you wanted" but doubling your memory and a faster GPU would seem like the way to go for 15% more over $260 if you can make it happen.  Might be worth holding for a week or so and watching 1060 6GB prices, hoping to grab a deal.

If you can swing $40 more, I'm seeing 1060 6GB models going for around the $300 mark. I'm not a big fan of "Here's an option more expensive than what you wanted" but doubling your memory and a faster GPU would seem like the way to go for 15% more over $260 if you can make it happen. Might be worth holding for a week or so and watching 1060 6GB prices, hoping to grab a deal.
I agree.

If for some reason moves have to be made now (of all times) to buy a GPU: for $40 more, double the VRAM to 6GB. It'll be worth it in the long-run.

NewEgg Deal:

Destiny 2 PC retail box (with a Battle.Net code inside only) is $15 again on w/ Free Shipping and an e-mail code.

Side note:

Since it will have to be downloaded in full from B-Net, Destiny 2 PC (base-game) takes up almost 57GB of space.

Remember my OK review of Has-Been Heroes a few pages back? I'm officially done with it already. The last play through I went through was so repetitive I really didn't want to do the battles anymore. They become pretty long and repetitive right away, and the strategy doesn't change. Also why can't I get more attacks or something? Other than basic here's some more crit chance, or strength, or less spell recharge from upgrades, you never change how your person plays really. I'm done with it and downgrading my previous score to 6/10. It has a massive amount of stuff to unlock, but it's just a drudge getting there, and the battle system doesn't feel cleaner as time goes one, like Plants vs. Zombies and better plants. Officially dropped now.

you may not need 6GB, but 3GB doesn't cut it.
Doesn't cut it for what, though? 1080p medium/high settings? I'm not a big believer in 'future proofing' as from what I've seen over the last decade the 'future' doesn't arrive nearly as fast as people think it will. Probably the most demanding game I will play over the next two or three years will be Warband 2 and that's only demanding given the number of people/npcs on the screen at once for large scale battles.

Stuff like hair physics and such don't matter to me.

If you can swing $40 more, I'm seeing 1060 6GB models going for around the $300 mark. I'm not a big fan of "Here's an option more expensive than what you wanted" but doubling your memory and a faster GPU would seem like the way to go for 15% more over $260 if you can make it happen. Might be worth holding for a week or so and watching 1060 6GB prices, hoping to grab a deal.
Don't taunt me with Microcenter deals! Oh, there's Newegg, too. I think I'll just wait another couple of months and see if there's a better picture of when 1100's are coming out. I don't think there will be another spike in GPU prices unless our esteemed President's trade wars play a role.

@Nitro

How many hours did you get out of the game?
About 5 hours. I really enjoyed the 1st win, but it never changed other than becoming harder, longer and more repetitive. I still had a bit of fun with it, since I love rouge lite games, but there are so many better ones. There was a good reason it bottomed out in price hard on consoles.

Got my razer vouchers in, 1 day after purchasing The Surge.

Did anyone find a decent use for the $10 razer hardware voucher?  Was going to use it on a $20 item then magically shipping added $10 right back

I guess I could use my zSilver to buy a $20 voucher but with my luck it's "one voucher per purchase".  Plus all that Razer stuff is so overpriced that even a $30 discount wouldn't be worth it unless the base price was $45.

TI-81 pixel generator.
sub-buzz-2839-1506500315-4.png

I mean, what else do you even need?

The only "deal" that you can potentially get on the Razer store is on the Destiny 2 branded stuff if it comes with the emblem code.  I'm not sure how that works but there was a time people were selling the emblem codes on ebay for as much as the mouse costs.  Wasn't worth the hassle for me, but maybe it is for you.  

6GB or 8GB is the minimum I would do if I were to upgrade right now given the prices.  If everything was normal price and you could score a 3GB 1060 or 4GB 580 for less than $200 then I would say either would be fine for 1080p gaming for the next 2-3 years and you could always upgrade to newer tech for a similar price then.  Given the inflated pricing though, the value tends to be in the mid-high end stuff.  My 8GB 580 gives me a steady 30FPS on Ultra in Wildlands (I need to turn the settings down TBH) and like 40-60 in FC5.  I don't know if I'm hitting RAM limits there or it's just the card/architecture limiting me (more likely).  

Free Games:

Skedaddle - 4V7BN-VHTXH-QTD2M
Rise: Battle Lines - 4XJRR-6CMKE-5NX7D
Blade & Bones - 4VM4Y-X2YET-Q2AMD
Samurai Wars - 3WNJ4-8T30D-YF8QR
Castle of no Escape - 3PB2L-8ARNF-3DQBY
Deadly Metal - 3VMG9-XL8RJ-TXK77
Get CARNAGE!!! - 3R83H-8PFCT-FYBZM
Just Hero - 8KF0R-C2D5T-YBP4Z
BoomTown! Deluxe - 8I6DM-4C8XF-ZBKHC
Color Syndrome - 89DVT-VYG3D-DJ4I9

:wave:

Just bought me a ryzen 7 2700x and gigabyte aorus mother board to go with the 16 gigabytes of ddr4 3200 ran i bought on Amazon for 120 a few months ago. Time to retire my phenom ii x4 955. Woo hoo.i can idle cards even faster now.

Would you settle for a digital card game?!?!?
I'd be totally up for a Valve-property based digital card game, so long it wasn't a CCG model.
Bonus points if it actually makes trading cards relevant again, even if it's just by being able to "dust" them to turn them into cards in the new game.

Valve Employee: People keep saying we don't make single-player games anymore. How do we respond to that?

Gabe: What if we find a developer that's already working on a single-player game and buy them out? Would that make it a Valve game?

Valve Employee: I guess technically, but --

Gabe:  *Writes out check*

bread's done
Back