Steam+ Deals Mega Thread (All PC Gaming Deals)

Neuro5i5

CAGiversary!
Feedback
151 (100%)
This thread will attempt to provide a place to discuss past/present/future PC gaming deals. While mainly focusing on Steam games, any standout sales may also be presented. I will not be updating every Daily/Weekly/etc. sale. The tools to help individuals become a smarter shopper will be provided below.

See this POST for links to store sale pages, threads of interest and other tools to help you become a more informed PC game shopper.

Last edited:
Posted 30 January 2012 - 01:27 PM

One of the bros has an older AMD card and he says he has issues unless he rolls back the drivers to a version that's a year old. You could try rolling back drivers if you can pin point when the problems started and see if that may fix things? Have you plugged in any new USB things into your puter? I ask because I recently upgraded due to similar seemingly random issues and once I ordered everything I figured out it was my new USB soundcard causing all the crashes.
Could it be a heat issue? Sounds like it's crashing when he's playing more intensive games. Might want to try applying new thermal paste and resetting the heat sink. Or running a stress test with a temp monitor and see what happens.
Is your GPU overheating at the time of crash? Do you have any extra ram or another PSU lying around that you could swap in to see if either of those are the issue? Perhaps try each stick of ram by itself to see if maybe one or the other is to blame? Also wondering if maybe the PSU isn't cut out for the job. FWIW, I use an older CPU and GPU (2500k, R9 380 w/ latest drivers) and everything is 100% stable for me, so I wouldn't immediately blame those two before looking at the other possible culprits.
sounds to me like there is a decent chance that your SSD is going bad

you should test it for performance. https://crystalmark.info/en/software/crystaldiskmark/
None of the hardware you describe is old enough to have problems running those games. My first guess would be video driver issues but random blue screens could also be the ssd, ram, mobo dying (I've had mobo ram sockets go bad). Checking the cpu, ssd and gpu temps while idle, web surfing and gaming would be a good first start. Try samsung's ssd magician software to check that angle. If not that, an unstable power supply is next on the list.

Does that MSI vid card come with a turbo boost switch on it? I have an 8gb version but don't remember if it does. A problem with the RX 480s was they pulled too much power from the pcie bus on the mobo. I had no end of random problems with a sapphire card that had a factory turbo mode and base mode that was controlled by a switch on the card. Originally I thought it was the older known cranky motherboard as the main problem. Dropped the clocks to normal speed via that switch and the card was stable after that. Also some newer vid cards have a switch on them for uefi bios or non uefi based motherboards.

Just an update on my system problems. I changed out my Radeon RX 480 with a Geforce 1080 and had the same issues. I'm going to try and remove one RAM stick at a time to see what happens and if that still causes issues then I'm going to replace the CPU arctic silver. If that doesn't work... I'm replacing the whole thing :bomb: .

Ghost Recon Wildlands, Just Cause 3, and Battlefront 2 are guaranteed software crashes, but i can play State of Decay 1 or Ni No Kuni 2 for pretty long. I did notice that closing my chrome browser helped reduced crashes with JC3 so that's why I'm troubleshooting RAM first.

giphy.gif

Anyone get their Surviving Mars key yet. Thinking of hiring Pepsi man's dad to sue the devs.
Good call. I had some clarity issues at the end of 2017: home invasion, sodomy-torture type stuff, but Pepsi-dad is really going to bat for me, pro bono, I just have to do... stuff to for him. That's all I'll say.

No curation indeed.

For those who do not wish to read it all, "devs" have realized they can copy the art from expensive TF2, DOTA2 and CSGO  items and make fake items that drop in their games for the purpose of scamming people in trades and also at least one game on steam installs a crypto-currency miner on your pc.  Fun times!

Last edited by a moderator:
No curation indeed.

For those who do not wish to read it all, "devs" have realized they can copy the art from expensive TF2, DOTA2 and CSGO items and make fake items that drop in their games for the purpose of scamming people in trades and also at least one game on steam installs a crypto-currency miner on your pc. Fun times!
Valve shit the bed years ago when they opened the floodgates. Another big issue is that there's so much garbage being pumped into Steam I haven't bothered to look at the 'Upcoming Games' section since that happened. Once upon a time I would find out about games like Torchlight just by looking at that section. Today I am sure there are some quality indie games I -- and the public at large -- miss out on because people don't feel like sifting through a dozen crappy RPG-maker titles. Only way most indie developers get noticed today is hoping some derpy popular streamer plays your game.

I have stopped looking at all the new releases too. It's an exercise in annoyance. I mainly just look at the best sellers among new releases. Sad, but there is just too much garbage, unfinished, or whatever games. Also for releases it's super annoying when you put up pages in advance for releases. I guess it's OK for pre-orders, but when it says coming soon it may as well say well I already forgot about this.

In the end it's all bundle fodder for horrible IG bundles.

Browsing the Steam store has been a waste of time for years now.  PCGamer runs a feature every week called "Five games you missed" or something like that and it's a decent source for playable indies that came out on Steam.  Otherwise, it's best to browse the Coming Soon section of other sites like GMG or GG because they don't put all the garbage on their sites.  

As much as I dislike hearing things like a game installs a cryptominer or enables scamming people in trades, I'd rather have that happen once every couple years than have Steam become a draconian marketplace where everything has to be moderated and verified to conform to some Code of Standards.

There's probably a middle ground somewhere between fascist game store and "curating is hard; let's go shopping"
Absolutely.

As much as I dislike hearing things like a game installs a cryptominer or enables scamming people in trades, I'd rather have that happen once every couple years than have Steam become a draconian marketplace where everything has to be moderated and verified to conform to some Code of Standards.
Quite big oversight to not display name of game prominently.

I'm surprised it took this long to someone to do this.

just a heads up. Origin Access Premier is available now to purchase, if you wanna pay $100 to play a bunch of EA titles. hey man, i ain't gonna judge.

ah man to play madden on pc early... must resist...

No curation indeed.

For those who do not wish to read it all, "devs" have realized they can copy the art from expensive TF2, DOTA2 and CSGO items and make fake items that drop in their games for the purpose of scamming people in trades and also at least one game on steam installs a crypto-currency miner on your pc. Fun times!
Hey at least Valve makes great games.

There's probably a middle ground somewhere between fascist game store and "curating is hard; let's go shopping"
My take on this hasn't changed. I agree with what Newell said years ago about not wanting Steam to be selecting winners and losers just by what games get on Steam and what don't. In practice that means a ton of games on Steam, many of which aren't good, but I understand the philosophical principle at work where he doesn't want Valve to be the one deciding what is and isn't good enough.

It does mean Steam needs to slap down bad actors like this occasionally where keeping the number of games available much lower means these bad actors won't be there in the first place.

I thought about it a bit and I feel Steam is the middle ground right now.

They allow mostly anything on, then remove stuff when a dev goes too far.

RE the item thing, I don't understand why any two items should ever be allowed to have the exact same image (I'd imagine it'd be pretty easy to automatically recognize when two images are fairly similar) or have the exact same description.

It was interesting growing up on the border of pop/soda territory.

I walked into a drug store one time and asked where the pop was.  Cashier looked at me like I asked where the snarflagoogan was.

I'd drink the shit outta that Indian. 

I grew up with "pop" during my whole childhood, it's what everybody said, especially every suburban housewife here in Minn-ee-soh-tah, but I've used the "soda" moniker pretty much my entire adult life.  Pop sounds strange as hell to me now when people say it.  There were only a couple years where they were interchangeable.  College was a weird time. 

We call soda coke and coke tea and tea coffee and coffee red bull and red bull Hawaiian pizza and Hawaiian pizza is called Totino's and Totino's we actually call Jack's and Jack's Pizza we call pop. 

I was all excited to go SSD shopping today.  Purchased the small Inland for $24.99 to just use as a Windows boot drive.  Picked up the Samsung 860 Evo for $104.99 + tax. 

SSDs.jpg

So I cloned my six year old Crucial M4 SSD for the new boot drive.  Then I was planning on using the new Evo for game installs.   Then this happened:

https://www.rakuten.com/shop/thekeykey/product/211110/

$152.99 after coupon code SAVE15 for a Crucial MX500 1TB.  I think that offer might be too good to ignore, by comparison.   I always wanted to own one of these Samsung Evos too...hmmm not sure what I'll do. 

My take on this hasn't changed. I agree with what Newell said years ago about not wanting Steam to be selecting winners and losers just by what games get on Steam and what don't.
That's just a somewhat more noble way of saying "Every game, no matter how shitty, represents a chance for me to make more money via either sales or cards. Since the hosting costs for a 250mb garbage asset flip or RPG maker game is essentially zero, I'm making a profit after the first couple cards sell."

That's just a somewhat more noble way of saying "Every game, no matter how shitty, represents a chance for me to make more money via either sales or cards. Since the hosting costs for a 250mb garbage asset flip or RPG maker game is essentially zero, I'm making a profit after the first couple cards sell."
Would a store with less available lead to less sales? Or is there an amount that people tend to want to spend and they'd just buy what is listed?

Hope someone out there enjoys mediocre RPGs, because I have some spare Steam codes for ya:

Demonicon BN20L-C3HET-Y5D7Q

Two Worlds II KRFXM-4AEWF-AY520

Drakensang LE9LR-KEHYB-QA3H5

Numen: Contest of Heroes E285C-VPHHD-WDDMW

I was all excited to go SSD shopping today. Purchased the small Inland for $24.99 to just use as a Windows boot drive. Picked up the Samsung 860 Evo for $104.99 + tax.

SSDs.jpg

So I cloned my six year old Crucial M4 SSD for the new boot drive. Then I was planning on using the new Evo for game installs. Then this happened:

https://www.rakuten.com/shop/thekeykey/product/211110/
$152.99 after coupon code SAVE15 for a Crucial MX500 1TB. I think that offer might be too good to ignore, by comparison. I always wanted to own one of these Samsung Evos too...hmmm not sure what I'll do.

I got a 1 TB Samsung Evo 860 for $150 about a month ago on a Walmart glitch. So, it's rare, but not out of the question.

Looking at the specs the crucial performs right around the same as the Samsung and for the money I'd go with the bigger drive personally. Given how big games are nowadays that 500gb is going to fill up so fast.

Would a store with less available lead to less sales? Or is there an amount that people tend to want to spend and they'd just buy what is listed?
Not sure. We have people here who buy shit just because it's cheap but I don't know that we're the average customer. On the other hand, if Steam's bread & butter is people who are buying 1-4 games a year, they're probably not buying NotGTAV or whatever that game is called these days.

Steam's philosophy seems to reward minimal gain for minimal effort. Put out a shit game, maybe get picked up in a low-rent bundle and make your money in card sales and "lol 49¢ game" seasonal sales. The number of new games on Steam per month keeps increasing but it's not increasing with titles worth buying. Even if a lesser known quality product does come out, it's buried under a pile of trash and has to hope that some external force such as a well known player-curator or gaming site picks them up.

"We don't want to pick winners and losers" is a polite fiction to cover "We don't want to do anything and we make money either way". Steam used to pick games that went into the store. Then they outsourced it to players via the disastrous Greenlight, which was easily gamed because they put maybe a coffee break's worth of thought into it. So then they just trashed Greenlight and said "Screw it, anyone with $150 gets in". That's not a philosophy, that's just not wanting to allocate resources to the hassle of looking at stuff before it's put on the shelf. Steam wasn't actually keeping winners out -- there's no sleeper hit game that wouldn't have "made it" in 2012. It's not as though 2012 lacked in bad games, we just weren't buried in them. And, frankly, there's nothing wrong with a degree of selectivity. Steam's current method is a detriment to quality sleeper games (and thus to the players) because they have to compete for limited player attention on top of time & money with all the garbage that makes you not want to bother scanning the new releases. Which is how this topic started in the first place. I know I certainly don't bother to look at it any longer.

Anyway, that's about all I have to say about that. Above text block aside, while I have opinions on it, Steam's lack of curation isn't anything that keeps me up at night and I've finished my quota of internet arguing for the morning.

I love Kingdom Rush. I love it so much I am posting this bundle filled with repeats (albeit some good ones) -- not in the Fanatical Thread -- but here, in the pizza thread.

Fanatical Anthology Awesome Bundle $2.99

Kingdom Rush
Skulls of the Shogun
Pumped BMX
Deep Dungeons of Doom
System Shock 2
Lovely Planet
Zoombinis
PixelJunk™ Shooter
The Original Strife: Veteran Edition
War of the Human Tanks
Crimsonland
Oknytt
Viscera Cleanup Detail: Santa's Rampage
Hammerfight
One Finger Death Punch

I love Kingdom Rush. I love it so much I am posting this bundle filled with repeats (albeit some good ones) -- not in the Fanatical Thread -- but here, in the pizza thread.

Fanatical Anthology Awesome Bundle $2.99

Kingdom Rush
Skulls of the Shogun
Pumped BMX
Deep Dungeons of Doom
System Shock 2
Lovely Planet
Zoombinis
PixelJunk™ Shooter
The Original Strife: Veteran Edition
War of the Human Tanks
Crimsonland
Oknytt
Viscera Cleanup Detail: Santa's Rampage
Hammerfight
One Finger Death Punch
I noticed that Strife was on sale for $2 yesterday, and knew a bundle must be coming up.

bread's done
Back