Steam+ Deals Mega Thread (All PC Gaming Deals)

Neuro5i5

CAGiversary!
Feedback
151 (100%)
This thread will attempt to provide a place to discuss past/present/future PC gaming deals. While mainly focusing on Steam games, any standout sales may also be presented. I will not be updating every Daily/Weekly/etc. sale. The tools to help individuals become a smarter shopper will be provided below.

See this POST for links to store sale pages, threads of interest and other tools to help you become a more informed PC game shopper.

Last edited:
The next version of this thread should really be retitled PC Gaming Deals Mega Thread since Steam hasn’t had a decent sale in at least 2 years ... Epic clearly continues to dominate the market, ethics aside.
WHY DO WE STILL CALL SMARTPHONES PHONES? IT'S NOT LIKE WE CALL PEOPLE ANYMORE. HERPY DERP DERP!

Not sure if there's anything I'll actually buy, but there's some pretty great deals in that Epic sale. Didn't bother researching these, but the following stick out to me.

Control $20

Borderlands 3 $20

Witcher 3 GOTY $5

Journey to the Savage Planet $8

Rebel Galaxy Outlaw $10

Shenmue 3 $15

Jackbox 2-4 are ~$5 and 5 and 6 are ~$10

I'm surprised people are considering Control for $20 when that doesn't seem like a good deal at all. The game is on PlayStation Now, which was on sale for $45/year last week, averaging out to $3.70/mo. And unlike Game Pass, you can stream the entire catalog to your PC, skipping any downloads or installation - it's fantastic. But Control is easily my least favorite Remedy game by far.

I'm surprised people are considering Control for $20 when that doesn't seem like a good deal at all. The game is on PlayStation Now, which was on sale for $45/year last week, averaging out to $3.70/mo. And unlike Game Pass, you can stream the entire catalog to your PC, skipping any downloads or installation - it's fantastic. But Control is easily my least favorite Remedy game by far.
That's a good point. Do PSNow games support mouse/kb?

I have heard the PS4 version of Control isn't that great, but since I don't have RTX, I wouldn't be able to get the full experience of that game anyway.

I would argue that Playstation Now seems like a terrible value compared to Game Pass and Control on a high end PC vastly outperforms the PS4 version. Plus it has never gone below $30 on PC as far as I'm aware. It also just received free dlc, and has the option of a season pass. I may be in the minority, but Playstation Now just seems really mediocre. If I was going to pay for PSNow, I might as well just get Stadia, which seems equally meh at the moment. 

That's a good point. Do PSNow games support mouse/kb?

I have heard the PS4 version of Control isn't that great, but since I don't have RTX, I wouldn't be able to get the full experience of that game anyway.
Not officially. You have to download a third-party app: https://www.reddit.com/r/PlayStationNow/comments/f2sxww/tutorial_mouse_and_keyboard_how_to_for_ps_now_kbm/

I would argue that Playstation Now seems like a terrible value compared to Game Pass and Control on a high end PC vastly outperforms the PS4 version. Plus it has never gone below $30 on PC as far as I'm aware. It also just received free dlc, and has the option of a season pass. I may be in the minority, but Playstation Now just seems really mediocre. If I was going to pay for PSNow, I might as well just get Stadia, which seems equally meh at the moment.
I don't follow Stadia, but I was under the impression that you have to buy your own games there other than a handful of free games. I'm also an avid user of Geforce Now, which is $5/mo. and you have to bring your own games. PlayStation Now is a steal compared to that. I heard the "Control is great but didn't sell well" praise often, and would have ended up wasting money because I don't like the game at all. But another game I discounted, Joe Dever's Lone Wolf, I happen to be enjoying and would never have downloaded or installed it, let alone pay for it. So it's a great service for checking out odd titles you're not enthused about - it's not really intended to be a killer app that floods you with new titles every week.

Or having an actual sale with added incentive coupons that save customers money ... no no, I prefer stupid meta games where I can collect gems and cards that end up having barely any value. And if I buy $50 worth of overpriced games, maybe I'll get a $5 coupon. Sorry mates, Steam has been a joke for years. The only reason I still use it is the investment that's already been made ... otherwise, they've gotten lazy and bloated.
Don't disagree with any of this; although my stance against EPIC is entirely due to their exclusivity shenanigans. If they want to give away free stuff, great. But I won't be buying anything from their store until they drop those paid exclusivity arrangements.

I'm surprised people are considering Control for $20 when that doesn't seem like a good deal at all.
It's a really good game that people want to play, and on PC. It also has raytracing capabilities for anyone whom bought an RTX card.

But yeah, the point is that this $20 sale on Control should have come around Christmas or New Years. Physical console games are consistently being sold at better deals than their digital pc counterparts, and they have to give a cut to retailers and pay for production and distribution costs too. My issue is that years ago the original concept of digital distribution was that it's supposed to be a better deal for customers by passing onto them some of the savings from not having to do physical production or retail distribution, and it simply hasn't worked out that way.

Just the other week Doom Eternal for Windows was on sale at Best Buy for $39.99. It also comes with a steelbook with nice art and I still had the ability to get 20% off new game purchases. I bought Sekiro (on pc) for $19.99 at Target during BF week. Borderlands 3 was $13.99 the other day on PS4/XB1 at BB. All of my best deals on new pc games have still come at retail during the last three years. Digital distribution reserves more profits for the publishers; and people buy fewer games because of it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't disagree with any of this; although my stance against EPIC is entirely due to their exclusivity shenanigans. If they want to give away free stuff, great. But I won't be buying anything from their store until they drop those paid exclusivity arrangements.
I very much agree with Mooby on this.

I'm sure my stance would probably be different had Epic launched just a bit earlier, but by the that Epic opened their game store and started giving stuff away, I already had thousands of games on Steam thanks to bundle purchases, and I was already slightly annoyed that I had to deal with GOG, Desura, Origin, Uplay or Battle.net for a few other games.

It didn't help that I saw how poorly they handled account management with Unreal Tournament, so when they wanted me to start giving them credit card info and stuff like that? I gave it a pass. Enough time went by that not only did their free games end up being heavily bundled elsewhere, but lots of their timed exclusive started to show up... and at similar prices or better.

Every time they've run their flat $10 coupon sales, I've gotten close to telling myself I should stop being pigheaded about this, but I realize that pretty much all of what I'd buy will just get added to the backlog, and by the time I get around to playing the game it'll probably be bundled elsewhere or get given away by Twitch Prime or added to Microsoft Game Pass.

I guess if you weren't buying bundles while bundles were still kinda good, don't have Game Pass and don't have Amazon Prime, the allure of it would have been a lot more... it is a lot of free games and the occasional huge sale they had were pretty decent.

But they've never been good enough to get over my misgivings over their security and data security as well as my distaste for their insistence on using exclusives.

Bundles and freebies are cool and all.  But realistically I end up playing maybe 1% of them.  I'm more concerned with getting the ~4-6 new release AAA titles that I'd like to play each year.

See, I don’t bother with EGS because I don’t wanna get infected with COVID-19 when Tim Shafter sells muh data to the Chinese gub’mint!

Also I have too many game clients already. By which I mean two.

started play MO: Astray tonight, it was in the humble bundle this month

it's pretty decent, it's a puzzle platformer and not bad. if you like puzzle platformers i think you'll like it

I play like maybe 5% of the freebies. Honestly I feel why some of them were free. A lot of them are fun shorter indie games, so that's not terrible. Likely will play Horace next, cause that person looks like a Lego person. Also down to the last 770 steam games to classify. It's been an interesting and repetitive journey. Hopefully after this organization it will be easier to at least maybe try something.

Decided to grab GTAV from epic even though I doubt I'll play it and took a look through the sale to see if there was anything tempting to use my coupon on.  The sale prices I'm seeing are different than those listed here. For example I'm seeing:

Control - $11.49

Metro Exodus - $6.99

Journey to the Savage planet - $6.59

Rebel Galaxy Outlaw - $7.36

Shenmue III - $9.99

Vampyr - $7.79

Jackbox 6 - $6.29

Was tempted on jackbox 6 until I remembered most of the time I play those games its through Steam's screen sharing feature so I likely wouldn't get much use out of it on the epic client.  Especially since I would have to force myself to actually download the client.

im kinda tempted to buy vampyr and use my coupon on it, that'd make it 5 bucks. it seems like the type of game that would make it in a humble bundle though. gta 5 is a pretty sweet game to get for free

Chrono.gg coin shop is closing down. They added 5 games and will be adding 5 more before shutting down on June 29th. If your like me you probably have 90,000 coins so better get spending.

Chrono.gg coin shop is closing down. They added 5 games and will be adding 5 more before shutting down on June 29th. If your like me you probably have 90,000 coins so better get spending.
Just saw this now as well. And I'm glad I did cause one of the 5 they added that I wanted is almost gone (Seven: Enhanced Edition) and I grabbed it just in time.

Cheers for saying something, I probably would have skipped right over that. Time to spend 90,000 coins

Possible next Epic freebies.

https://wccftech.com/free-epic-games-store-games-leak/

On Reddit, an image has surfaced that might have revealed the next batch of titles coming to the Epic Games Store. We don’t know how legitimate this ‘leak’ is at this point, but we wanted to share it anyway.

epic-games-store-free-games.jpg

$10 off anything on Rockstar Online Store with code MAYSALE until June 2nd:

https://www.rockstargames.com/newswire/article/61579/Get-a-10-Credit-on-the-Rockstar-Games-Launcher

Rockstar PC Games Download store (for the Rockstar Game Launcher version):

https://www.rockstarwarehouse.com/store/rsg/en_US/DisplayProductSearchResultsPage/ThemeID.4813638000/keywords.all/size.12/startIndex.12/rsgPlatformPCDownload.%22true%22/rsgPlatformIsParentPID.%22false%22/multiFacetSearch.true/sort.rsgReleaseDate%20descending,listPrice%20descending,displayName%20ascending

Prices all BEFORE the $10 coupon:

RDR 2 - $49.99

Max Payne 1 - $9.99

Max Payne 2 - $9.99

Manhunt - $9.99

GTA 3 - $9.99

GTA VC - $9.99

GTA SA - $14.99

Bully - $14.99

Maybe I'll just go ahead and roll the dice on Witcher 3 GOTY not being one of the free games, really can't beat $5 and want to play with some mods...

Yeah Control is a good example too. I'm sure several of us are debating whether or not to buy that one right now. Yeah, it's a great deal on EGS. I should probably buy it. But if I'm already paying for a digital version of the game, wouldn't I rather have it on Steam? It's almost 9 months old now, is it going to be in next month's bundles? Why did it take so long to go on sale when it was a $25 special on consoles back on BF?

I thought that digital was supposed to give me that sale advantage more rapidly. It hasn't.
Control looks like a great deal - but then there's damn DLC's and/or a Season Pass to catch later. Sure, first one could be had for $5 after coupon - but then, you still gotta get the 2nd one at some point (not out until Summer 2020, of all stays on track).

If it was say $20 for Control base-game & its Season Pass, I'd probably not even hesitate.

EDIT - 5/16/2020:

Saw this on GOG - looks like Control on Epic is not laced w/ DRM. You can run it without the Epic store, once you DL it:

GOG Thread & Discussion about DRM on Epic versions - https://www.gog.com/forum/general/epic_store_games_you_can_play_without_the_epic_launcher/post93

List of Epic Games and DRM on those versions - https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/16BjnaBO40vkt6kFVl0QWMWVh86UFnr-j_yWhQbASJ58/edit#gid=0

Maybe I'll just go ahead and roll the dice on Witcher 3 GOTY not being one of the free games, really can't beat $5 and want to play with some mods...
Seems safe. The next free games are reportedly Civilization 6, Borderlands Handsome Collection, and Ark Survival Evolved.

I'd buy some things on Chrono coin shop with my banked coins, but who knows how much the five games they add on May 29th will cost and what they will be. Knowing my luck, I'll probably save onto my coins until then, it will turn out to be garbage, and everything else will be sold out. 

If you mean the thread change, I am pretty sure nobody actually gives a shit, if anything this prevents people from starting the I thought this was the steam thread! nonsense every time someone posts something about literally anything else.  Like overpriced "gaming"  laptops, the value of groupees coins or yogurt and anchovies pizza.

bread's done
Back