Steam+ Deals Mega Thread (All PC Gaming Deals)

Neuro5i5

CAGiversary!
Feedback
151 (100%)
This thread will attempt to provide a place to discuss past/present/future PC gaming deals. While mainly focusing on Steam games, any standout sales may also be presented. I will not be updating every Daily/Weekly/etc. sale. The tools to help individuals become a smarter shopper will be provided below.

See this POST for links to store sale pages, threads of interest and other tools to help you become a more informed PC game shopper.

Last edited:
Did you just use the term 'invest' in regards to buying a laptop... Ummm....

giphy.gif
This is why collectibles- physical and digital are through the roof. I would not be shocked if there was a run on tulip bulbs before long.

Last edited by a moderator:
I spent the day playing Inscryption (I bought another game,...). 

Really recommend going in blind.  Great game.  Likely going to be bundled next year, I'd bet, after the hype dies down, but I'm 11 hours in for $14 (Humble w/ choice discount), so I can't complain.

I was really tempted by the POE2D bundle, but I'll treat those like I did Divinty Original Sin... play and beat the first one (which I own... with all DLC... from some sale I don't remember) before I invest in a sequel.

So, how does everybody feel about the FF games since FF10?

How's FF10 and 10-2? How's FF12? FF Type-O? Any thoughts on the FF 13 Trilogy? FF15?

Most of this, I got backlogged...except FF12; don't own that yet.

FFX is love-it-or-hate-it, but I find it to mostly embrace a very adolescent style of writing and characterization, rather than simply being aimed at adolescents as many similar media can be.

FFX-2 comes off as completely unnecessary. Love it or hate it, FFX didn't need a sequel, and indeed X-2 comes off almost entirely as a cash grab after the success of X. That said, it has some of the best gameplay of any Final Fantasy, centered on a mission-based structure that operates as if you're at the end of a more typical Final Fantasy clearing up side quests, featuring a good implementation of Final Fantasy's job system, and it has what is probably my favorite turn-based JRPG (not including SRPGs) battle system to date. But you need to be really good at blocking out the rest of the game because it's completely gratuitous.

I've never gotten very far in XII. Every time I start the game I get too bored to continue within the first three or four hours of play.

Can't speak to XIII or XV, haven't played those at all.

So, how does everybody feel about the FF games since FF10?

How's FF10 and 10-2? How's FF12? FF Type-O? Any thoughts on the FF 13 Trilogy? FF15?

Most of this, I got backlogged...except FF12; don't own that yet.
Joke post probably but I'll bite

10's story is mostly about religion is evil, racists and daddy issues. Great turn based gameplay but sheesh that story is dumb. rpgs love their evil religion trope. Oh and amnesia. Gotta have that side of amnesia. Only major negative is the difficulty is pretty unbalanced. As most of the game is a breeze but certain bosses can be difficult unless you cheese them via various methods. Summon spam being the most common. I loved that like ff8 status ailments were useful again. Mostly petrify being mvp between stone touch weapons like wakkas ball and rikkus grenades. I also put probably 30 hours into blitzball (underwater soccer) since I liked it. Almost as much as ff8's card game which was 1/3 of my playthrough.

10-2 is what happens when people realize they were sheeple and Yuna and her friends play dress up. Combat is basically atb but with faster enemy turns and more action commands. Classes via dressspheres are collected as you go some hidden some obtained via the story. Most of them are grindy since they require points to level and learn abilities and such from. true ending requirements are fucking obtuse and easily missed so just youtube it seriously. I got 99% but missed the last 1 because of stepping 1 step forward too far on the mihen highroad/mushroom rock road and triggering a cutscene. It's also ff charlies angels obviously. Has some of the best minigames though. The monster shooter ones are especially fun.

ff12 its mmo combat is pretty boring, characters are mostly unmemorable besides vaan being shoehorned in so people hate him. Plot drops in occasionally to remind you its there but can disappear for 5 or more hours at a time with one portion of the plains to the mountain and then to archades capital having long gaps of nothing. Most of the fun comes from hunting giant monsters, collecting summons and just wandering around the large maps with not much actually in them typically. Optional dungeons range from ok to the developers hate you (great crystal with it's one way gates and timed switches nonsense in copy pasted areas) and most if not all bosses have bloated hp that take too long to kill.

13-1 its meh. Interesting idea but marred by garbage drop rates, lack of customization and no control over character placement. Character growth also is locked out for 1/3rd of the game so you are just using auto battle since there's no command other than attack. Roles have bad ai and sentinel role doesn't even work properly due to the aforementioned lack of placement control. It's only use is as a defense buff multiplier when you have 3 of them out at the same time and for 1 optional boss. Lastly leader death = game over which was a terrible decision.

13-2 fixed some of the problems but added in dumber story telling, time travel, ai monster 3rd slot you can't control, random encounters, shittier drop rates than the previous game while the game has far more generous ones in it's demo. I don't rec that one at all. It also retcons the ending of the first game.

13-3 has great action gameplay but only has 1 playable character and occasionally 1 ai party member. dressspheres make a return from ff10-2. Most of them are useless due to locked abilities, poor stats and such. But some have really good abilities or skills and stats. A handful have special variants of attacks as well like dragoon, monk and soldier of peace? altering them to other moves. games buggy and low budgeted disappointingly. Lots of equipment and roles are only available on ng+ so it's recommended to just sleep through the first playthrough and jump to the second.

Reply to above:

Actually, it was not a joke post. I was really curious what everybody thinks of the FF's after OG PSX era, since we already had a good discussion on earlier FF games.

FF1 is a classic; played it on my OG NES. Loved it back then and all, along w/ Dragon Warrior (NES). But, my today's standards - I would bet FF1 is insanely hard & grind-y. I actually would be curious how FF1 Pixel Remaster turned out.

Of course, I've played FF5, FF6 and FF7 on my PSX - all classic. Love those games, especially FF6 and 7. I liked FF8 and was disappointed with it - but still thought it was a flawed gem, despite some of my issues w/ it.

Sure, I have spent about 20 hours or so FF13 and liked it, despite its tunnel-vision; it still felt like FF to me, story-wise and gameplay-wise (combat system). Never finished it. Never got to FF13-2 and FF13-3: Lightning Returns b/c....never finished OG FF13.

I still did spend a bit of time w/ FFX - but I think other games got in the way, which seems to happen a lot w/ me.

I tried some FF15 and didn't get too much into it - and my issue w/ it: feels like FF meets Skyrim. Really wasn't ready for more open-world Skyrim and UbiSoft stuff. Doesn't entirely feel like FF, despite how gorgeous it looks. Maybe when I'm in that mood, I'll be up for it.

I really should get back to Chrono Trigger (Steam); I really liked what I did play, when I did. I should note: I loved Chrono Cross on my PSX; and I'd really loved to see a Chrono Cross Remaster hit PC.

If anyone is looking for a budget RGB air cooling system for a PC build there's currently some pretty good deals on the ones I use:

https://www.amazon.com/DEEPCOOL-GT-BK-Motherboard-Supported/dp/B074P3JCXX/

https://www.amazon.com/DEEPCOOL-RF120M-Compatible-Controlled-Motherboard/dp/B07HN199YJ/

CPU cooler doesn't technically have a discount, but my order history shows I paid $45ish about three years ago and now it's selling for $30.
There's a $15 version that's similar minus the rgbz / mooby bait.
https://www.amazon.com/DEEPCOOL-GAMMAXX-400-Blue-Compatible/dp/B00JQ2YDCY/ref=sr_1_3?keywords=gammaxx&qid=1638071053&sr=8-3

I spent the day playing Inscryption (I bought another game,...).

Really recommend going in blind. Great game. Likely going to be bundled next year, I'd bet, after the hype dies down, but I'm 11 hours in for $14 (Humble w/ choice discount), so I can't complain.

I was really tempted by the POE2D bundle, but I'll treat those like I did Divinty Original Sin... play and beat the first one (which I own... with all DLC... from some sale I don't remember) before I invest in a sequel.
I bought POE2: Season Pass for $4.98 (after 5% off coupon) from Fanatical (since I've had POE2 for a long time, since it hit $10 on WalMart from retail), yet haven't even began PoE1; LOL.

You know, the Collector in me, so I had to get it. [shrug]

Been playing Jedi Fallen Order so far, since I also bought that from Fanatical - and I'm really digging what I've played so far. Feels like Star Wars Universe/setting meets Souls-like combat & design and also some Lara Croft platforming type of stuff.

I beat Inscryption.

Don't read if you're going to play it (or just want more background before buying).

Kinda spoilery, but gives you a better idea of what you're buying. I think I might be old now, 'cause the "hard left turn" style games, such as Undertale and now Inscryption don't have the same impact for me.  I think the streamer horror stuff like FNAF kinda turns me off.  Everything doesn't need to be an ARG.  I think the "outside the game" portion was the weakest thing and unnecessary (just like Assassin's Creed!).  The various act structure was fun, with 1 and 3 being my favorite.  I can see, however, where people are sold one type of card game and then get different ones with no real notice.  It was fun, but I would like to see the core game be a longer experience.  Or perhaps I need to back to Slay the Spire and Monster Train for a bit?

Still recommended, but if you're not sold in the "there's more to it" style of narrative, then you can probably wait for a deeper sale.

Pretty sure there’s a big Chrono Trigger remake announcement rumored for 2022, so might want to wait and play the remake in a few years while you play some of the other FF titles mentioned.

Edit - eh, it’s Chrono Cross remastered … but this is Square … so someday in the next 10 years we’ll see a Chrono Trigger remake … because that’s easier than an original story 😜

While it isn't required, should you finish POE you can import your save file into POE2 and your choices will affect your new game.

FF1 is a classic; played it on my OG NES. Loved it back then and all, along w/ Dragon Warrior (NES). But, my today's standards - I would bet FF1 is insanely hard & grind-y. I actually would be curious how FF1 Pixel Remaster turned out.
If you want to learn more about the variations between different versions of older Final Fantasy titles, AustinSV on YouTube has some in-depth, seemingly unbiased comparisons between the (often numerous) ports, remasters, and remakes of several of the games, including the Pixel Remasters for I, II, and III. A video for IV should be arriving pretty soon, as well.

Fallen order is on game pass. I played a bit but got bored on the second or third planet when I could not figure out where I was supposed to walk next. The gameplay otherwise was fine or very good. But if there is no real obvious way to figure out where I’m supposed to walk then I get bored and I’m like “my backlog is looking at me I should shelve this game and hope for a better sequel “.

What are some of these publishers/devs thinking when they put their game up for sale on Steam at 65% off and then on GoG only the base game is on sale for 50% off? It is literally $6 or so more to buy the whole game with all content on Steam than to buy just the season pass DLC on GoG for Wasteland 3.

Do the Prime codes expire at the end of each month?
I think they all have some sort of expiration these days. Maybe not the little indie games but the AAA ones do. I guess they figure that they won't stop people from gifting (or selling) them but they can prevent there being a six-month glut on Control keys from the resellers.

What are some of these publishers/devs thinking when they put their game up for sale on Steam at 65% off and then on GoG only the base game is on sale for 50% off? It is literally $6 or so more to buy the whole game with all content on Steam than to buy just the season pass DLC on GoG for Wasteland 3.
About GOG: it's likely a DRM-FREE tax. ;)

Plus, GOG often doesn't sell as many copies as Steam and even do close to the number of units that say Steam would. This likely doesn't help GOG themselves to keep the lights & servers on, as that service is likely barely making a profit every year. Good thing their sister company (CD Projekt RED) sold a lot of copies of Cyberpunk 2077 across all platforms.

Hey, GOG has to stay in business somehow...for those that have to have a DRM-FREE copy. [shrug]

I played Wasteland 3 on Game Pass when it first came out - yeah, it's great. Easy recommendation there. Haven't played the DLC's though, as those weren't out there and on Game Pass they often don't include DLC's in the Game Pass version - meaning if you want a Complete Edition, you're gonna have to buy it somewhere.

All it encourages is that I wait them out even longer. I agree that its part of a DRM free tax but it applies just to Steam too. I got burned for $17 given Mechwarrior 5 prices on Steam now and that was with a $10 discount when I bought it earlier this year. Flash sales have all the dlc for $35, Steam offers a $12 discount for those to "complete their collection". Which is better than the $15 key sellers are charging. Same thing on GoG.

Can’t say I’m particularly disappointed. Tried contacting them about an issue about a year ago, and in spite of following up several times, they never responded. One of the worst CS experiences I’ve had, and I haven’t bought anything since. Not that they’ve had a single decent sale since.

yea its not really surprising when they havent published a new, umm, gog, in ages. Theres plenty out there but they seem to have mostly focused on indies and more modern games and Im betting there's a good chunk of customers that just dont go there for those. So now the only thing they have left are the drm free hardcores

Their sales have also been more generic. They stopped doing any interesting things with them and now its just the same old discounts on some modern games, they dont even match some of their previous lows on the actual GOG inventory

yea its not really surprising when they havent published a new, umm, gog, in ages. Theres plenty out there but they seem to have mostly focused on indies and more modern games and Im betting there's a good chunk of customers that just dont go there for those. So now the only thing they have left are the drm free hardcores
The Star Trek games don't count?

The Star Trek games don't count?
Sure but they still havent released all of those 3 months after the announcement when they were all 'coming soon'. And then what was the timeline from the last gog release before that? The only thing I can find were the metal gear games, a year before the star trek ones, which if thats true (im not certain it is its just hard to track down release info cause their site isnt great) thats a year between an old game release, on gog

One, the PC gamepass subscription is far more limited than the console version.
If you're just referring to overall library, then PC GP isn't really that much worse than console. It's been gradually getting closer and closer to parity. 433 games on console right now compared to 389 on PC, so 10% fewer. The PC total jumps if you include the 3rd party titles on EA Play. But it does hurt that PC occasionally misses out on high-profile games like GTA: SA, RDR2 and The Outer Wilds.

Speaking of GP, four games added today:

theHunter: Call of the Wild

Generation Zero

Mind Scanners

Evil Genius 2

And Aliens: Fireteam Elite is coming in two weeks.

Steam Next Fests in 2021 rocked out for customers and developers alike.  Median wishlisting up 1300%+ and wishlist to purchase conversions up 500%+.

I absolutely love the events and really enjoy the weeks/weekends of just sampling so many games.

Steam Next Fest News here.

If you're just referring to overall library, then PC GP isn't really that much worse than console. It's been gradually getting closer and closer to parity. 433 games on console right now compared to 389 on PC, so 10% fewer. The PC total jumps if you include the 3rd party titles on EA Play.
Interesting. I remember getting gamepass to play metro exodus when it first released, which was about a year ago? Not only was I disappointed with the games performance on gamepass but also with the library of games. I guess a lot has changed since then....

Exodus was part of the first set of games that helped launch the PC service back in June 2019. It really was a dismal selection back then but it's gotten significantly better. But there's still so much more they need to do from a technical side to improve the Game Pass app itself.

I generally like gamepass, I have put in a lot of time on games that I would not have bought otherwise.  Octopath traveler, 

I also tried games that I thought I might like such as Baldurs gate Dark alliance and been like "oh I'm so glad I didn't spend real money on this game" if the game sucks, you just uninstall and install something else.

My favorite game pass games: back 4 blood, wasteland 3, yakuza series, streets of rage, destroy all humans, 

I also tried games that I thought I might like such as Baldurs gate Dark alliance and been like "oh I'm so glad I didn't spend real money on this game" if the game sucks, you just uninstall and install something else.
Yeah, my Game Pass has probably paid for itself (mind you, I always bought it cheap) in games that I thought I'd like, might have otherwise bought from Steam and instead played for a night or two before bouncing off of because it turns out I didn't like them much at all.

Hey, this is completely off topic, but I know people here love free stuff, so I just wanted to let you know about some good freebies this month.

Taco Bell started 24 days of free food yesterday, Circle K started 31 days of freebies today and Mcdonalds is doing 12 days of freebies starting 12/13. For Mcdonalds and Taco Bell, I think you need to make a $1 purchase to get the free thing. 

Circle K has been been doing generous giveaways for the past couple years, but this is the first time they've done a free thing every day. I use my wife's phone for a second entry and the thing I got there today was 15 cents off gas, so not 100% free, but still a decent selection of freebies from them.

Gamepass is as good as you use it.  I failed in that department. 

Good service; but you have to take advantage of it.  Pretty much like a Netflix subscription.  For instance, I've had my freinds' Netflix for years and I barely use it.  But I also feel like I'd miss it severely if I didn't have access.  Nice to use when you want to watch/play a new game/show; but not a service for which I'd pay $10 or $15 per month. 

I certainly will not be starting an Elder Scrolls 6 save file over Gamepass on PC, for instance, and become tied to needing an active sub.
or ever, at this rate!

I certainly will not be starting an Elder Scrolls 6 save file over Gamepass on PC, for instance, and become tied to needing an active sub.
or ever, at this rate!
I've found most games put the save file in the normal My Documents or My Games folders on your PC. This gives you an opportunity to play the base game on release, walk away, and then buy the Super Directors Cut Platinum Complete Edition with all the DLC for $20 in a few years, and still load up your old save if you want.

Microsoft is supposedly moving away from their current asinine way of installing games where everything is locked behind some no-access digital labyrinth and moving to a "Steam-like" system of installing your games like a sane person and allowing users to access the files.  This should make it easier to retrieve your saves if you decide to switch clients/platforms later on.

Gamepass is cool for trying out new AAA games like the Halo franchise and such. It does become a lot like Netflix where there is good stuff, but it becomes a bit too abundant. I'm more trying out games and finishing the ones I really like, but I can tell I don't need it. I'm likely cancelling this month. Speaking of that here's some extremely short impressions of some games I've tried recently.

Undungeon - This just sucks. Somewhat hand drawn action RPG I think demon thing going around slashing and beating up stuff. It controlled so horribly and felt like poop I couldn't stand it for more than 5 minutes.

Unsighted - Very decent graphics in an Alundra like game where there is a lot of environmental puzzles with timing and jumps. Also has a similar viewpoint as Alundra but pixel drawn instead. It looks very nice and has pretty aight controls. You play as an android who must fight to beat certain bosses to get gems I think and then when you get them all you can fight the big bad. Very similar to any Legend of Zelda game. Also has a timer if wanted where it ticks down and you and others like you are ticking down till the day the time they shutdown. You can give them essences to let them live their dream or such. A pretty good game, though not amazing. Controls aight with an Xbox Series X controller. Played for about 2 or 3 hours. 7/10

Visage - First person paranormal scary game. Not for me and felt very clunky. I got bored right away after 5 minutes.

The Procession to Calvary - Weird shorter (beat it in under 2 hours) adventure game where you play some king's aide I guess who loves killing people, but has a new king who doesn't want killing after a war ends. Thus starts the adventure looking for someone the new king didn't kill, so you can kill them. Required a walkthrough for 2 parts and was generally interesting, but not amazing. The artwork thing was pretty cool. The story was silly and Monty Python-ish. I'd maybe recommend bundled, but it is very forgettable. 6/10

bread's done
Back