Steam+ Deals Mega Thread (All PC Gaming Deals)

Neuro5i5

CAGiversary!
Feedback
151 (100%)
This thread will attempt to provide a place to discuss past/present/future PC gaming deals. While mainly focusing on Steam games, any standout sales may also be presented. I will not be updating every Daily/Weekly/etc. sale. The tools to help individuals become a smarter shopper will be provided below.

See this POST for links to store sale pages, threads of interest and other tools to help you become a more informed PC game shopper.

Last edited:
I'm pausing BG3 at the end of Act 1, waiting for patch 2.

Still slowly working away at Honkai Star Rail content. Remains great quality.

Larian says that the next patch will expand on the character epilogues so maybe it's for the best that you delay anyway.

(I had to take my Game One ending save states and move them elsewhere so I don't overwrite them while playing Game Two)
Yeah, I'm holding off on doing a second run. I feel like I got a lot out of my first playthrough even if I missed a lot of stuff by blowing myself up, but with all the patches and updates it feels like a good time to get caught up on other things. It will be nice to have BG3 waiting in the wings for when I inevitably get sick of Fallout in Space.

Sounds like maybe Bethesda should have stuck with refining Elder Scrolls and Fallout … I love Bethesda style games, but I’m just not sure Starfield is worth the massive delays on ES6 and Fallout 5. Feels a lot like a Fallout 76 misfire over giving fans what they really want. Maybe playing it will change my view, but knowing Fallout 5 won’t be out until after 2030 is kind of depressing. And I’m just not sure Starfield looks interesting enough … the Outer Worlds 2 might actually outplay it. I just hope Bethesda hasn’t lost their touch and become the next BioWare in terms of future game quality.

I hate to tell everyone - but The Outer Worlds (TOW) was overall better than Fallout 4.

Sure, F4 is pretty good - but it lacks even the RPG-choice stuff that made TOW so great. Doesn't surprise me to see all these reviews all over the place w/ Starfield, as it sounds all over the place and a mix of stuff. At least TOW had a really good story, characters, and decisions to make. With Bethesda, always been questionable if your choices ever really mattered that much.

To me, Starfield sounds like all these games rolled into one:

- The Precursors (open-world and open-galaxy shooter/RPG hybrid with space-sim/space-shooter elements)

- No Man's Sky (RNG for maps/areas/planets and some mining of planets)

- Fallout 4 (open-world Shooter-RPG with settlement building)

- Mass Effect: Legendary Edition (open-galaxy shooter-RPG game with hubs to explore)

- and Mass Effect: Andromeda (open-galaxy shooter/RPG with building elements and repetitive stuff everywhere).

No surprise to see 7/10 from IGN and GameSpot.

It's more BGS stuff that sounds like "more of the same", but also not fixing a lot of the problems they been having going on for years & decades. Can they please hire some real writers (they sure ain't Obsidian, Old-school BioWare, Naughty Dog, and CD Projekt RED here) and please hire some RPG experts for stat-checking and decision-making that matters?

EDIT:

And this ain't even getting into seeing 8-9gb VRAM being eaten up by Starfield and its technical problems, that I've been reading, watching, and seeing. I don't think everyone here has 12gb VRAM to 16gb VRAM GPU's, you know?

Last edited by a moderator:
I liked TOW but it was too short and rough around the edges. However the humor and designs were on point. I hate to say it but my biggest fear (having not played Starfield yet) is that the world looks kind of boring. I think I had pictured Skyrim meets Mass Effect when it was first announced. The game we’ve got just looks too serious, doesn’t have intriguing alien species designs, and I’m guessing it lacks the dark humor I loved from the original Fallouts and New Vegas (which was severely toned down in Fallout 3 and 4 already). Granted, the humor is a Fallout staple and not as common in Elder Scrolls, but a space game can still be quirky or weird in moments like TOW.

So I’m excited to try Starfield and hope I’m wrong, but I also cancelled my Constellation edition and will be satisfied with using Game Pass and maybe the SE upgrade if I can get a copy tomorrow.

I liked TOW but it was too short and rough around the edges. However the humor and designs were on point. I hate to say it but my biggest fear (having not played Starfield yet) is that the world looks kind of boring. I think I had pictured Skyrim meets Mass Effect when it was first announced. The game we’ve got just looks too serious, doesn’t have intriguing alien species designs, and I’m guessing it lacks the dark humor I loved from the original Fallouts and New Vegas (which was severely toned down in Fallout 3 and 4 already). So I’m excited to try Starfield and hope I’m wrong, but I also cancelled my Constellation edition and will be satisfied with using Game Pass and maybe the SE upgrade if I can get a copy tomorrow.
I'd liken it more to how Skyrim was divided into fiefdoms and outside major towns, there really wasn't much to do except travel. Starfield is the same except the boundary lines are immediately obvious, being planets. Nobody is forcing people to explore beyond what is outlined in missions, but the option is there and in some cases requires traveling through. If anything, I appreciate that there's likely less downtime between missions by being able to focus on it without the forced travel time.

I liked TOW but it was too short and rough around the edges. However the humor and designs were on point. I hate to say it but my biggest fear (having not played Starfield yet) is that the world looks kind of boring. I think I had pictured Skyrim meets Mass Effect when it was first announced. The game we’ve got just looks too serious, doesn’t have intriguing alien species designs, and I’m guessing it lacks the dark humor I loved from the original Fallouts and New Vegas (which was severely toned down in Fallout 3 and 4 already). Granted, the humor is a Fallout staple and not as common in Elder Scrolls, but a space game can still be quirky or weird in moments like TOW.

So I’m excited to try Starfield and hope I’m wrong, but I also cancelled my Constellation edition and will be satisfied with using Game Pass and maybe the SE upgrade if I can get a copy tomorrow.
I also don't think every game needs to be 50-200 hours of quantity over quality. This was so Fallout 4 in a nutshell of quantity over quality - and many other games also that don't deserve be to be this long and/or have this such content that's repetitive and not loaded w/ variety and/or choices that matter to shape the journey and final end permutations. And I'll also guess Starfield's gonna be that way too...b/c Bethesda can't do choices that matter to save their lives.

And it's not like we have a shortage of games on the market and not like we don't have backlogs here.

After 60 hours w/ Spacer's Choice, it was perfect in length w/ all its content and did NOT need to be any longer.

As for Gotham Knights - that probably could've been "20 hours and great", not 46 and said "good but not great"...if they didn't have you grind to get to main missions b/c you needed to fulfill X challenges and/or hit X level first.

EDIT - Meanwhile, I got a PS4 recently from someone who sold me and some games. Uncharted 1 Remaster was awesome and so far TLOU: Remastered is awesome some 8 hours in or so...and these games so likely ain't over 20 hours each.

EDIT 2 - Of course F3 and F4 are toned down comedically; Bethesda can't write characters, story, and comedy to save their lives. That's a Black Isle and Obsidian game and key to those games w/ Tim Cain involved - i.e. F1, F2, and FNV.

I hate to tell everyone - but The Outer Worlds (TOW) was overall better than Fallout 4.

Sure, F4 is pretty good - but it lacks even the RPG-choice stuff that made TOW so great. Doesn't surprise me to see all these reviews all over the place w/ Starfield, as it sounds all over the place and a mix of stuff. At least TOW had a really good story, characters, and decisions to make. With Bethesda, always been questionable if your choices ever really mattered that much.

To me, Starfield sounds like all these games rolled into one:

- The Precursors (open-world and open-galaxy shooter/RPG hybrid with space-sim/space-shooter elements)

- No Man's Sky (RNG for maps/areas/planets and some mining of planets)

- Fallout 4 (open-world Shooter-RPG with settlement building)

- Mass Effect: Legendary Edition (open-galaxy shooter-RPG game with hubs to explore)

- and Mass Effect: Andromeda (open-galaxy shooter/RPG with building elements and repetitive stuff everywhere).

No surprise to see 7/10 from IGN and GameSpot.

It's more BGS stuff that sounds like "more of the same", but also not fixing a lot of the problems they been having going on for years & decades. Can they please hire some real writers (they sure ain't Obsidian, Old-school BioWare, Naughty Dog, and CD Projekt RED here) and please hire some RPG experts for stat-checking and decision-making that matters?

EDIT:

And this ain't even getting into seeing 8-9gb VRAM being eaten up by Starfield and its technical problems, that I've been reading, watching, and seeing. I don't think everyone here has 12gb VRAM to 16gb VRAM GPU's, you know?
If what you say / assume is true, then Starfield is going to be very disappointing. Like a mashup of Fallout 4('s soulessness) and No Man's Sky 1.0.

I was pleasantly surprised by today's 87 metacritc score. That's really impressive. But it also sounds like there's more to it than that.

I also don't like how MTXs and service charges are almost never mentioned in reviews. It's always purposely opaque how much of a role they take in any newly released game. That should be an entire chunk portion of every game review going forward. These paywall commitments are going completely unchecked in reviews. Even if they are just cosmetics, as those play a major role in any rpg or loot-based game.

GameSpot and IGN both gave Starfield 7/10's. 

PC Gamer gave it a 75 - https://www.pcgamer.com/starfield-review/

Alanah had a good video, but it just went private - basically on the invisible walls, flying to planets stuff, etc. 

Good vid here on Starfield also:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3uuI-6fwwtY

And there's videos (see above) talking about how repetitive the RNG stuff is on numerous planets and the invisible walls on planets that try to force you back to your ship, if you adventure out too far on a planet.

EDIT:

Alanah re-uploaded the video; it's over here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gdLVVeQL9pA

EDIT 2 - Of course F3 and F4 are toned down comedically; Bethesda can't write characters, story, and comedy to save their lives. That's a Black Isle and Obsidian game and key to those games w/ Tim Cain involved - i.e. F1, F2, and FNV.
Speaking of Tim Cain, have you guys seen his YouTube channel? It’s amazing, feels like something I should be paying money to listen to. Such cool insights into Fallout and his other games. Just amazing content - https://youtube.com/@CainOnGames?si=-MgIhMzppht_llXo

I played a bunch of Fallout 4 but was bored with The Outer Worlds by the time I hit the space station. The perk system didn't allow for much, the companions were just "okay" and the consumerism vibe went from satirical to "ok, I get it you can stop now".  I bailed before setting off to the next world, outer or otherwise.

Speaking of Tim Cain, have you guys seen his YouTube channel? It’s amazing, feels like something I should be paying money to listen to. Such cool insights into Fallout and his other games. Just amazing content - https://youtube.com/@CainOnGames?si=-MgIhMzppht_llXo
Yep. Watch his Youtube's all the time. Love it. Dude's Youtube channel is all kinds of gold.

EDIT - I like the video on Nuance. Bethesda, who are trying to Fallout stuff, should watch this video. All of Cain's games deal w/ nuance. Bethesda don't know nuance; their idea of that is using a Sledgehammer to everything and turning Brotherhood of Steel into good guys (F3) or bad guys that do really evil stuff (see F4) - instead of writing them like Cain's crew did, as the BoS crew that is very gray, hordes tech, hides in underground hard-to-find places, and stays neutral normally unless provoked (i.e. how they were written in F1, F2, and NV).

GameSpot and IGN both gave Starfield 7/10's.

PC Gamer gave it a 75 - https://www.pcgamer.com/starfield-review/

Alanah had a good video, but it just went private - basically on the invisible walls, flying to planets stuff, etc.

Good vid here on Starfield also:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3uuI-6fwwtY

And there's videos (see above) talking about how repetitive the RNG stuff is on numerous planets and the invisible walls on planets that try to force you back to your ship, if you adventure out too far on a planet.
That was a very good review video. I'll play it with my expectation level in check. It does seem like there are a lot of outdated game design and still tons of game glitches. The different encounter with the same copy and paste assets that he highlighted seem that it can make the game feel very redundant quickly.

As always with Bethsoft open world games: I look forward to seeing what modders come up with. This will decide whether I eventually buy the goty at ~$10 or not.

Volition Studios after 30 or so years....is now closed.

Kotaku - https://kotaku.com/embracer-shuts-down-saints-row-studio-volition-after-30-1850792734

128f63689ca6064066475cbde7af109c.jpg

I never like to see a studio get shut down because good jobs are hard to come by. But I'm not surprised it happened after Agents of Mayhem and the Saints Row reboot. They clearly had regressed a lot from what they used to be.

Let's be honest, they died with THQ nearly a decade ago.
Yeah I can't imagine the majority of the people who made classics like The Punisher, Saints Row 2 and Red Faction are still working there (kinda like how Obsidian and Bioware now aren't the same studios that made their amazing games from 10+ years ago).

Plus their arrogance and smugness in replying to people with complaints about early previews of the new Saints Row was incredibly off-putting. So I can't say I feel all that bad about them going belly up. LOL

Dunno if it's been mentioned but Warhammer Space Wolf is getting delisted in October and it's on sale for 90% off along with all its DLC. I guess I got it in a Humble Choice as probably many of you did. The complete a bundle for all the DLC is 94% off. It doesn't have the greatest reviews, but whatever.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/553210/Warhammer_40000_Space_Wolf/

Also, New Tales from the Borderlands is in a Complete a Bundle along with other Borderlands stuff everyone probably already owns. It too hasn't had amazing reviews, but the bundle for me comes to $4.50 for the game and its "dlc". Might be worth looking into if you're brave enough to try it.

https://store.steampowered.com/bundle/33369/Borderlands_Collection_Pandoras_Box/

For those considering the Borderlands complete your collection bundle just remember that the next time the games go on sale, your relative price for the bundle will drop accordingly, and they've already been putting that stuff on 50% off deals in the past.

Having put a few hours into Starfield … it’s shockingly bad in some aspects. The menu navigation and UI is atrocious, inventory management is a nightmare. It’s all really clunky and unintuitive. I’m going to keep playing because Bethesda games are usually my favorite types of game … but some of this is really really bad and I don’t understand how people on Reddit and other places are defending it.

Having put a few hours into Starfield … it’s shockingly bad in some aspects. The menu navigation and UI is atrocious, inventory management is a nightmare. It’s all really clunky and unintuitive. I’m going to keep playing because Bethesda games are usually my favorite types of game … but some of this is really really bad and I don’t understand how people on Reddit and other places are defending it.
Bethesda menus have been terrible for as long as I can remember, UI mods are always the first mods I install.

Is anyone surprised? Their UI's and menu stuff has sucked since Oblivion, when they fully embraced consoles. They kind of half-assed it with Morrowind, but it's gotten worse since. Thank God for modders, as they usually so improve their UI and menus.

Bethesda menus have been terrible for as long as I can remember, UI mods are always the first mods I install.
Amen. Are there any good UI's for Starfield yet?

DarnUI was great for Oblivion; SkyUI is a must for Skyrim. I'd have to look and see what I use for F3, F4, and FNV (yeah, I always install those games on my PC's and mod 'em) - but what I got modded in is much better than Bethesda's UI junk, thanks to modders.

What I don't understand is how Bethesda ever became this top tier publisher.  Aye, their games are shockingly unrefined.   I don't know how Skyrim got such universal praise and longstanding acceptance.  How long do they get to rest on those laurels?  The combat is...not great.  Game came out in 2011 man.  Where is the next Elder Scrolls??? That's shockingly poor devotion to go 15+ years without putting out another one.  Do we really love Skyrim now anymore considering that?

They've always been a little to big for their britches.  I liked Bethesda RPGs because they were janky messes, and I enjoyed them on PC.  The computer gaming aspect was a main component of the appeal.  The bugs, the patches, save scumming, updates, changes, and eventual DLC.  I don't really understand how their rpgs ever got embraced among the normies, and on consoles.  They are imperfect games.  That's part of what made the developer so endearing.

Doom was really polished. But ever since Skyrim it seems like they can do no wrong, and the cult is strong.  The industry holds them in this higher echelon but they really don't deserve it. 

I think Skyrim always resonated with me (and Fallout 3 to an extent) because, while imperfect, those games gave the illusion of being able to go anywhere and do anything. You could play the game but you could also just exist in the world. You could do what the game told you to do, but also just mess around … or steal all the junk … or basically just do whatever. The problem with Starfield is that it’s so gated by menu screens that it completely loses that illusion of going anywhere and doing anything.

I’ll still play it and maybe it will grow on me. I hated Fallout 4 when I first played it, but that grew on me as well. It also got much much better over time, with the benefit of a more powerful console or two. The menus and unintuitive design are just throwing me off … it’s like they copied Destiny or something. And not being able to see your inventory and your companions inventory at the same time … super annoying. It just hasn’t clicked for me personally yet … interested to hear how others see it as the game goes live this week for everyone on Gamepass.

Elder Scrolls was an impressive achievement for its time, and even the normies knew about and respected Morrowind. Oblivion and Fallout 3 were probably the most mainstream open world games in a time when that was rapidly becoming a trend in the gaming industry. Basically Bethesda happened to be the big men in their little niche just as that niche exploded into mainstream popularity, and they’ve managed to coast on that success and reputation ever since. The long time between game entries has probably helped rather than hurt their reputation, as well, giving their releases a sort of event status. Ubisoft games are annual, nobody really cares about keeping up with the latest one; Bethesda RPGs, by virtue of their infrequent releases, feel like a big deal.

For the record, I’ve never really been a fan of any of their games, so this is a largely disinterested observer’s interpretation—which may be comparatively uninformed, as well, since I don’t spend much time looking into Bethesda’s stuff.

Saints Row (2002) was originally supposed to be Saints Row 2.5, more or less.

Supposedly, Saints Row (2022 Reboot) story was supposed to be different, but Deep Silver interfered:

-> https://twistedvoxel.com/saints-row-2022-story-different-tone-deep-silver-interfered/

Notes:

-> Volition basically wanted to make a Saints Row (2022) focused around Gang Warfare.

-> They basically wanted to make Saints Row 2.5 here with this reboot of Saints Row (2022).

-> Deep Silver intervened & interfered, wanting a story with an upbeat tone & the focused around "Friendship".

Saints Row (2002) was originally supposed to be Saints Row 2.5, more or less.

Supposedly, Saints Row (2022 Reboot) story was supposed to be different, but Deep Silver interfered:
-> https://twistedvoxel.com/saints-row-2022-story-different-tone-deep-silver-interfered/

Notes:
-> Volition basically wanted to make a Saints Row (2022) focused around Gang Warfare.
-> They basically wanted to make Saints Row 2.5 here with this reboot of Saints Row (2022).
-> Deep Silver intervened & interfered, wanting a story with an upbeat tone & the focused around "Friendship".
I mean, they were both wrong. They simply should have continued the story of 3&4. It’s all well and good to experiment and reboot a series, but when you’re a mid-tier publisher sitting on a series with a moderately devoted fanbase who is really into these characters and almost Looney Tunes style tone that has already been established, why rock the boat? Ports of 3&4 continue to sell well on new systems over ten years after release. It’s what people wanted. I always assumed it was Deep Silver that mandated this new zoomer bait style, but if Volition was pushing for a spiritual successor to Saints Row 2- a janky, Great Value brand GTA at best- then they didn’t know what they were doing either.

I don’t like GTA or most open-world games of its ilk, but Saints Row 3&4 were great. Banger soundtracks (remember these were the games that reintroduced to world to Holding Out For a Hero), solid humor and likable antiheroes (those bizarre romance scenes are still classic), and bonkers gameplay that included everything from flying around like superheros, riding light bikes in knockoff Tron, to exploring Hell while the Devil sings show tunes. They threw this completely unique series away that only had room to grow and instead gave us an awful reboot that was tailor-made to appeal to stereotypes of what some board room thinks hip 20-somethings are.

I mean, they were both wrong. They simply should have continued the story of 3&4. It’s all well and good to experiment and reboot a series, but when you’re a mid-tier publisher sitting on a series with a moderately devoted fanbase who is really into these characters and almost Looney Tunes style tone that has already been established, why rock the boat? Ports of 3&4 continue to sell well on new systems over ten years after release. It’s what people wanted. I always assumed it was Deep Silver that mandated this new zoomer bait style, but if Volition was pushing for a spiritual successor to Saints Row 2- a janky, Great Value brand GTA at best- then they didn’t know what they were doing either.

I don’t like GTA or most open-world games of its ilk, but Saints Row 3&4 were great. Banger soundtracks (remember these were the games that reintroduced to world to Holding Out For a Hero), solid humor and likable antiheroes (those bizarre romance scenes are still classic), and bonkers gameplay that included everything from flying around like superheros, riding light bikes in knockoff Tron, to exploring Hell while the Devil sings show tunes. They threw this completely unique series away that only had room to grow and instead gave us an awful reboot that was tailor-made to appeal to stereotypes of what some board room thinks hip 20-somethings are.
It's probably why these reboots typically happen. I remember reading that Infamous Second Son was originally going to be an Infamous 3 based around the evil ending of the second game, but they decided to go in the reboot direction with a different main protagonist. It ultimately killed the series off when everyone just wanted an Infamous 3. Looks like something similar happened with Saints Row. I loved 3 and 4 but had zero interest in a reboot. They're completely out of touch with what people want.

While I liked SR4, I so prefer SR3. SR3 was awesome and really separated itself from the other GTA-likes by being so ridiculous, comedic, and over-the-top.

SR2 was pretty good - but I'd have been curious to see an updated spiritual successor to SR2...but, we'll never know, thanks to Deep Silver meddling in things.

I love SR3 and SR4, but narratively there's no where to go after SR4. I like off the rails stupid BS and that one almost broke me.

I've never played SR2, but I grabbed a 360 copy to try awhile back since I have zero hope for the PC version.

bread's done
Back