Steam Deals Thread V13 ~ Star Wars Empire at War $6.80 | The Legend of Korra $10.04 | Red Faction Guerrilla $2.99 |

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrNinjaSquirrel

CAGiversary!
Feedback
25 (100%)
Summer sale has come and gone; welcome to the Steam Deals Thread V13!

Stop: Before you go any further be sure you are using Enhanced Steam. It will save you a lot of time and embarrassment in the future.

Daily Deal
Star Wars: Empire at War Gold Edition - $19.99 $6.80

Yesterday's Deal

N/A

Midweek Madness
The Legend of Korra - $14.99 $10.04

Red Faction - $9.99 $1.49
Red Faction II - $9.99 $1.49
Red Faction Armageddon - $19.99 $2.99
Red Faction Guerrilla - $19.99 $2.99 

Thanks to EastX, Detruire, Psydero, and everyone else that has contributed to the thread!

Last edited by a moderator:
and that was my main reason to pre-order too.
Me three.

Then maybe you guys shouldn't blind pre-order?

Seriously, I don't get why people think that's a good idea. That sort of blind faith just encourages all sorts of nonsense from shitty or buggy games to way overkill on the requirements front.

Oh yes, I know. CD Projekt walks on water and can do no wrong and all that.

Carry on.
Well, actually, yes it does.

Look, I picked up The Witcher 1 on the cheap several years ago and loved it. I was excited about The Witcher 2 when it came out so I snakeybro'd it from a British seller for about $30 in 'Murican money and was pleased with my physical copy loaded with goodies. I thoroughly enjoyed/was impressed with the game and had zero problems running it on medium settings. I had no indication prior to this moment that the system requirements would be so steep but I was equally as excited about The Witcher 3, plus I was able to get a really cheap pre-order. I can't afford to pre-order very many things, but something like this that I have 100% confidence will be a fantastic game was something of a no-brainer. I just didn't expect that I wouldn't be able to run it at all.

The top tier of that chart has an awfully broad range of performance. I'd guess the real minimum is going to be a few tiers down. An older-generation i5 or i7 (or equivalent) should be OK.
Yeah, I'm not especially worried about it (and worst case scenario is that a relatively inexpensive game gets backburnered) but I did find their "spread" interesting.

re: Funstock

My thought was they underestimated demand (though if you look at their reddit history they continually do this), oversold more than they had keys for and were stalling hoping to get at least some people to cancel without having to do it themselves to cover their asses.

But maybe they just really are that slow and inept. They seem to have no concept of an automated store front. I have this image of someone flipping through a paper list of keys and one by one typing them in and email and sending them out to thousands of people.

Anyway, good that you got your key finally. I hope Ashes and Motiv get their Grid ones too.
I actually didn't order GRID, though it was tempting. I was just saying my Ace Combat order was immediate (no 12 hour wait like most or whatever), so like you said, it's probably them underestimating demand. I guess no one wants Ace Combat besides me?

The Witcher 3 system requirements announced

Minimum System Requirements

Intel CPU Core i5-2500K 3.3GHz
AMD CPU Phenom II X4 940
Nvidia GPU GeForce GTX 660
AMD GPU Radeon HD 7870
RAM 6GB
OS 64-bit Windows 7 or 64-bit Windows 8 (8.1)
DirectX 11
HDD Space 40 GB
Recommended System Requirements

Intel CPU Core i7 3770 3,4 GHz
AMD CPU AMD FX-8350 4 GHz
Nvidia GPU GeForce GTX 770
AMD GPU Radeon R9 290
RAM 8GB
DirectX 11
HDD Space 40 GB

-----

Sorry for the Off-topic but I wanted to share it.
Whew, have a 660. Hopefully this is a bit exaggerated anyway, but I wouldnt be surprised if not. Im gonna need to upgrade in another year or two.

I guess no one wants Ace Combat besides me?
I have zero interest in it, but in spite of that when I went to the Steam page I apparently own it? It doesn't look like it was in a bundle so I have no idea how. Maybe I DrabeLincolned that shit.

*Edit: Okay it looks like about 50 CAGs own it so I don't know maybe there was some big Amazon sale at one point and the peer pressure was just too much!

I think there was some Amazon sale on it for a buck or so. I passed because even for a buck I didn't care but I do remember the sale.
I don't think it got as low as a buck.. but it was $4.99 in December. which isn't much of a difference in price compared to Funstock. I'd pay $4.99 to get it from Amazon than pay $3 to deal with Funstock's shenanigans.

AMD CPU Phenom II X4 940
AMD GPU Radeon HD 7870
RAM 6GB
DirectX 11
HDD Space 40 GB

Crap, my cpu is fine but I have a 750 Ti so I just miss the minimum. Oh well, I'll just see how it runs on Medium, or if I'm lucky, High with reduced or no AA/ reduced shadows, etc.

I don't think it got as low as a buck.. but it was $4.99 in December. which isn't much of a difference in price compared to Funstock. I'd pay $4.99 to get it from Amazon than pay $3 to deal with Funstock's shenanigans.
I think you're right. Isthereanydeal shows it as 83% off at $4.99 last summer. That seems high for everyone to have gotten so jazzed up about it... well, I suppose now I know why I didn't bite.

I looked it up and it was apparently some $15 pack that Tony ran with Ace Combat, Ridge Racer and MUD. I don't know why we thought $15 for that was hot shit. I guess that was back when 75% was always rock bottom, non-indie stuff never got bundled, cards money didn't exist and we didn't really know about digitally smuggling stuff from the communists.

I looked it up and it was apparently some $15 pack that Tony ran with Ace Combat, Ridge Racer and MUD. I don't know why we thought $15 for that was hot shit. I guess that was back when 75% was always rock bottom, non-indie stuff never got bundled, cards money didn't exist and we didn't really know about digitally smuggling stuff from the communists.
Yeah, that's when I bought it.

I think there was some Amazon sale on it for a buck or so. I passed because even for a buck I didn't care but I do remember the sale.
Wasn't it like a buck or two from after an editor's choice coupon last year?

AMD GPU Radeon HD 7870
fuck only rocking a 7730 on my laptop. Course it's a 7730M so it probably wouldn't have handled it anyway even if the graphics card requirement was lower but a man can dream.

There's also the fact that I still haven't touched 1 & 2 which are just sitting on my GOG account. I really really need to go through my 40-60+ hour RPG backlog but that could take me through an entire year without even touching anything that comes out this year and I kickstarted Pillars of Eternity and really want to get Divinity Original Sin at a good price during the Summer Sale. *Groan* #CAGproblems

fuck only rocking a 7730 on my laptop. Course it's a 7730M so it probably wouldn't have handled it anyway even if the graphics card requirement was lower but a man can dream.

There's also the fact that I still haven't touched 1 & 2 which are just sitting on my GOG account. I really really need to go through my 40-60+ hour RPG backlog but that could take me through an entire year without even touching anything that comes out this year and I kickstarted Pillars of Eternity and really want to get Divinity Original Sin at a good price during the Summer Sale. *Groan* #CAGproblems
If it's any consolation, I'm sure the minimum specs for Pillars of Eternity will probably be much much lower.

AMD GPU Radeon R9 290
RAM 8GB
DirectX 11
HDD Space 40 GB

-----

I beat the recommended requirements. Bring it on game! Oh wait...I never had the chance to get the game under the Russian price. Going to have to wait for the next winter sale. FML.

I beat the recommended requirements. Bring it on game! Oh wait...I never had the chance to get the game under the Russian price. Going to have to wait for the next winter sale. FML.
If you set Hola to Russia and go to GOG it's showing for the cheapo Russian price of 809 rubles so ~$12.86 or if you own the other two games on GOG it's 719 rubles or $11.43.

I didn't actually try to check out though and obviously it's not a Steam key.

You're both getting confused with Sid Meier's Ace Patrol that was a $1 after EC (and $1.25 on GMG).

Crap, my cpu is fine but I have a 750 Ti so I just miss the minimum. Oh well, I'll just see how it runs on Medium, or if I'm lucky, High with reduced or no AA/ reduced shadows, etc.
You should be fine... iirc, that isn't too far behind a 660. I desperately need Intel's Saltwell to ship on time... my 6 year old Phenom II X3 720 BE (triple-core lightly OC'd to 3.2 GHz) is regularly becoming my bottleneck (though pretty well matched for my GTX 660).

If you set Hola to Russia and go to GOG it's showing for the cheapo Russian price of 809 rubles so ~$12.86 or if you own the other two games on GOG it's 719 rubles or $11.43.

I didn't actually try to check out though and obviously it's not a Steam key.
Regional Pricing and DRM-FREE are so at odds with each other...

The top tier of that chart has an awfully broad range of performance. I'd guess the real minimum is going to be a few tiers down. An older-generation i5 or i7 (or equivalent) should be OK.

Interestingly that chart says my latest PC upgrade moved me down one tier and that my HTPC is in a higher tier than my main PC.
The low end CPUs vary widely. Unless something is embarrassingly parallel (e.g. video processing) *all* AMD CPUs are less than the (2011) i5-2500K. Those CPU requirements are quite suspect. The (2009/10) Phenom II X4s are the best AMD CPUs for gaming... and regularly benchmark to around/slightly-above an i3 unless a game really needs threads (very few, CoD & Civ 5 being a notable exceptions).

You're both getting confused with Sid Meier's Ace Patrol that was a $1 after EC (and $1.25 on GMG).

You should be fine... iirc, that isn't too far behind a 660. I desperately need Intel's Saltwell to ship on time... my 6 year old Phenom II X3 720 BE (triple-core lightly OC'd to 3.2 GHz) is regularly becoming my bottleneck (though pretty well matched for my GTX 660).

Regional Pricing and DRM-FREE are so at odds with each other...

The low end CPUs vary widely. Unless something is embarrassingly parallel (e.g. video processing) *all* AMD CPUs are less than the (2011) i5-2500K. Those CPU requirements are quite suspect. The (2009/10) Phenom II X4s are the best AMD CPUs for gaming... and regularly benchmark to around/slightly-above an i3 unless a game really needs threads (very few, CoD & Civ 5 being a notable exceptions).
Woah, you're running a Phenom II X3???? It's definitely a good time for you to upgrade your processor.

You're definitely right about AMD being under the Sandy Bridge i5; I got fortunate and was able to unlock an old Phenom II X2 555 to an X4 955 (in essence) and overclocked that sucker to 4.2GHz. When I stuck the SB i5 in my computer loaded almost twice as fast at stock speeds. Funny thing is though I ran the thing as fast as 4.8 (on air with a Hyper 212+!!) I didn't get that much extra out of it. I now run it at a safer 4.0GHz.

AMD CPU Phenom II X4 940
AMD GPU Radeon HD 7870
RAM 6GB
DirectX 11
HDD Space 40 GB

AMD GPU Radeon R9 290
RAM 8GB
DirectX 11
HDD Space 40 GB

-----

Great. Just freaking great.

So, Witcher 2 was the game I really built this PC for.

Now, Witcher 3's the game to really make me want to upgrade.

How fitting.

[insert foul language here]

EDIT:

Me three.

Well, actually, yes it does.

Look, I picked up The Witcher 1 on the cheap several years ago and loved it. I was excited about The Witcher 2 when it came out so I snakeybro'd it from a British seller for about $30 in 'Murican money and was pleased with my physical copy loaded with goodies. I thoroughly enjoyed/was impressed with the game and had zero problems running it on medium settings. I had no indication prior to this moment that the system requirements would be so steep but I was equally as excited about The Witcher 3, plus I was able to get a really cheap pre-order. I can't afford to pre-order very many things, but something like this that I have 100% confidence will be a fantastic game was something of a no-brainer. I just didn't expect that I wouldn't be able to run it at all.
Given what we seen and know - I expect W3 to be WAY more open-world than W2; W3 is currently only new consoles only PS4 + XB1 (so there goes any sort of low-end requirements, since that'll make the specs higher); and many new games want the moon for min requirements (ACU PC) or recommended requirements (see Shadow of Mordor, The Evil Within).

Translation: Looks like it's gonna soon be time for you and me to upgrade our vid-cards.

The witcher 3 recommended spec's aren't event that high. For people that play nothing but AAA pc games Id expect them to have a better system. Maybe less dvd rom drives and more money into things that matter like a GPU.

The witcher 3 recommended spec's aren't event that high. For people that play nothing but AAA pc games I'd expect them to have a better system. Maybe less dvd rom burner drives and more money into things that matter like a GPU.
FTFY.

If you're gonna take shots at me, at least get it freaking bloody right.

The witcher 3 recommended spec's aren't event that high. For people that play nothing but AAA pc games Id expect them to have a better system. Maybe less dvd rom drives and more money into things that matter like a GPU.
Honestly the recommended spec shouldn't even matter, its not like anyone is buying games to actually play them. It's all about the +1 backlog.

Oh, I know. I moved from one of those Phenom II X4s this summer not because of the chip being a problem, but because it was sitting on a AM2+ motherboard and only had 4GB of DDR2 ram.. The anniversary edition Pentium I moved to is only dual core, but overclocked extremely well and handles everything I've played as well or better than the Phenom II did. Also, it was dirt cheap and the board will take one of those shiny i5s or i7s with no problem.

Honestly the recommended spec shouldn't even matter, its not like anyone is buying games to actually play them. It's all about the +1 backlog.
Except this is MysterD and he's all about that free, bout that free, No DRM.

But backlogging DRM free games is essentially like just not downloading them on torrent sites.

Given what we seen and know - I expect W3 to be WAY more open-world than W2; W3 is currently only new consoles only PS4 + XB1 (so there goes any sort of low-end requirements, since that'll make the specs higher); and many new games want the moon for min requirements (ACU PC) or recommended requirements (see Shadow of Mordor, The Evil Within).

Translation: Looks like it's gonna soon be time for you and me to upgrade our vid-cards.
Modern consoles have 8 netbook-CPU cores... a Far Cry from desktop processors. Their graphics are below a GTX 660 (though they have more VRAM)... they are just easier to optimize for since every unit is the same (and lower level APIs).

But yes, your GTX 570 is long in the tooth... especially since the 1.25 GB of VRAM is quite limiting for higher res textures (even modded Skyrim). Upgrade your card too far and your old CPU (i7-960?) will be the bottleneck (check by running with min gfx settings).

But the guy at Best Buy told me this $2000 dollar PC with integrated graphics would run everything!!

The benefits of backlog+old laptop, by the time I need a new laptop The Witcher 3 should be about $5 regularly (hopefully don't need a new laptop before then). I'm actually surprised at the amount of newer games my current laptop can even run to begin with.

Except this is MysterD and he's all about that free, bout that free, No DRM.

But backlogging DRM free games is essentially like just not downloading them on torrent sites.
Game downloads--torrents, usenet, file lockers--disappear. Backlogging when you wear an eyepatch would tend to mean lots of downloading to save for later.

Oh, I know. I moved from one of those Phenom II X4s this summer not because of the chip being a problem, but because it was sitting on a AM2+ motherboard and only had 4GB of DDR2 ram.. The anniversary edition Pentium I moved to is only dual core, but overclocked extremely well and handles everything I've played as well or better than the Phenom II did. Also, it was dirt cheap and the board will take one of those shiny i5s or i7s with no problem.
Thanks! Interesting. I'm glad to hear! (I'm running on an AM3 board, so 12 GB of DDR3.) I was tempted by that Pentium, but decided to curmudgeon it out to build an Saltwell i5 upgrade in the second half of this year.

:rofl: I love the How DARE you imply my archaic obsolete media drive does not have write capabilities of it all!
Given my huge retail-disc PC collection and that I built this rig in 2011 - yeah, I wanted a DVD-burner in there back then. Got 2 in there like it's nothing - since the price of those burners was chump-change then (and is chump-change now, as well), when compared to what a 970 goes for currently (which is around $329 minimum).

My next PC - I'll probably just move one of my DVD-burner drives over. It's not like they get much use, these days + age from me. Namely, it's when I just install an old game from disc/boot a game from disc that I just don't have yet from somewhere digital (if it's actually being sold digitally, these days).

Game downloads--torrents, usenet, file lockers--disappear. Backlogging when you wear an eyepatch would tend to mean lots of downloading to save for later.
Unless you've got a ridiculous amount of hard drive space and love downloading thousand of indie games and hundreds of AAA games you will play someday except you wont then having a backlog means lots of downloading (potentially; because you'll definitely get around to all of them right?) later regardless.

I mean, I'm sure there's some anal people, probably the spreadsheet type, who download every god damn shitty bundle game and then back them up in 15 places on and offline and then in a secure bunker underground in a UUencoded archive spread across 84 floppies, but normal people Ain't Got Time Fo' Dat and leave that shit on a server somewhere collecting virtual dust.

Modern consoles have 8 netbook-CPU cores... a Far Cry from desktop processors. Their graphics are below a GTX 660 (though they have more VRAM)... they are just easier to optimize for since every unit is the same (and lower level APIs).

But yes, your GTX 570 is long in the tooth... especially since the 1.25 GB of VRAM is quite limiting for higher res textures (even modded Skyrim). Upgrade your card too far and your old CPU (i7-960?) will be the bottleneck (check by running with min gfx settings).
To be specific, my main gaming PC specs:

"Bloomfield" Intel i7 950 @ 3.06 Ghz (Quad-Core, 8 threads); 1GB VRAM GeForce GTX 560 Ti; 16 GB RAM; Win 7 64-bit.

Hmmm - do you think getting a 970 would go too far for that rig?

Thanks for the advice on checking the bottleneck, BTW.

One of my other thoughts is this - 970 upgrade for the current PC; then when I decide to build a new rig a few years down the road, if the 970's not aged enough...I could just possibly move the 970 over to whatever next PC that I do build.

So HuniePop, "The sexiest dating sim/puzzle game hybrid you'll ever play!" is coming out on Steam in a couple of weeks (1/21)

[customspoiler=Kinda NSFW-y trailer]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xrr4xVU06VE
[/customspoiler]

You can Fakeybro it right now on their Humble widget if you simply cannot wait. http://www.huniepop.com/

TL;DR - T&A Anime Puzzle Quest

Some Yury codes I had lying around

HE70T-LQNVC-N40N6
5PKRF-2ZBMT-0PGJG
PLAZY-FNR34-324CR
D54XQ-KREN3-9BZNQ
9HAMG-QV28I-28DRY

BDH6W-NXAYQ-XMEGG
MQX32-6AV85-BRB6G
4KFZ8-TBRKH-WGEJP
V4TQK-7MPRF-HNYW9