Steam Deals Thread V13 ~ Star Wars Empire at War $6.80 | The Legend of Korra $10.04 | Red Faction Guerrilla $2.99 |

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrNinjaSquirrel

CAGiversary!
Feedback
25 (100%)
Summer sale has come and gone; welcome to the Steam Deals Thread V13!

Stop: Before you go any further be sure you are using Enhanced Steam. It will save you a lot of time and embarrassment in the future.

Daily Deal
Star Wars: Empire at War Gold Edition - $19.99 $6.80

Yesterday's Deal

N/A

Midweek Madness
The Legend of Korra - $14.99 $10.04

Red Faction - $9.99 $1.49
Red Faction II - $9.99 $1.49
Red Faction Armageddon - $19.99 $2.99
Red Faction Guerrilla - $19.99 $2.99 

Thanks to EastX, Detruire, Psydero, and everyone else that has contributed to the thread!

Last edited by a moderator:
Huh, my badges page isn't updating to show games that have had cards added, like Metal Slug 3 for example. Anybody else experiencing this?

Huh, my badges page isn't updating to show games that have had cards added, like Metal Slug 3 for example. Anybody else experiencing this?
The Badge page is now multipage (250 entries per page). For Enhanced Steam to recognize new games with cards added, you must select last page.

The Badge page is now multipage (250 entries per page). For Enhanced Steam to recognize new games with cards added, you must select last page.
Ah, thanks. Idle Master is also updated to work with this as of 11/6 apparently. I figured something must have been broken since I'd just updated to the latest version the day before that, but nope.

So anyone got a link to that fancy auto idling software and is there a readme file included?
https://github.com/jshackles/idle_master

And yes there is a very detailed readme.

Ah, thanks. Idle Master is also updated to work with this as of 11/6 apparently. I figured something must have been broken since I'd just updated to the latest version the day before that, but nope.

https://github.com/jshackles/idle_master

And yes there is a very detailed readme.
Thanks for the link. Pretty easy set up. Now to install every game that I have spodered on here for cards to hoard in prep for the winter sale. That is the general consensus right? Hoard cards and then sell the first few days of the winter sale? In the meantime try to buy the few cards you need to craft badges and wait to craft them till the winter sale starts. Dammit I am too old to be a newbie again. fuck ing kids get off my lawn

Thanks for the link. Pretty easy set up. Now to install every game that I have spodered on here for cards to hoard in prep for the winter sale. That is the general consensus right? Hoard cards and then sell the first few days of the winter sale? In the meantime try to buy the few cards you need to craft badges and wait to craft them till the winter sale starts. Dammit I am too old to be a newbie again. fuck ing kids get off my lawn
Get Off My Lawn! http://store.steampowered.com/app/260410

Um so do I not need to actually install the game for idle master?  Cause it is idling arkham which I haven't installed yet but just have on my downloading que right now.  Such an even better program than I thought if that's the case.

Um so do I not need to actually install the game for idle master? Cause it is idling arkham which I haven't installed yet but just have on my downloading que right now. Such an even better program than I thought if that's the case.
No, it doesn't need to install them. It fools Steam into thinking that they are running without actually installing/running them.

Everyone has their own method for pricing and selling cards, I assume. I priced all mine a penny above the going price figuring that either they'd sell in the off hours or else they might move when winter sale "need to make badges!" fever hits. Made $25 in a week that way (probably about 350ish cards?) and have 120 still sitting on the market.

Dammit I am too old to be a newbie again.
Based on your diaper wearing avatar, you're either lying and are really young, and you ARE a newbie, or you're REALLY old, and dementia's set in and you're a newbie not due to lack of experience, but because of deficient mental dexterity.

Either way you're a newbie.

double fine......early access.......wait

They already completely dumped on one early access, spacebase df9, basically released the alpha as 'finished'
That's true.

But they did give everyone who bought it a copy of Hack n' Slash (and vice versa), which was a decent gesture.

And this one didn't come out of their sometimes misguided Amnesia Fortnight initiative. It was kickstarted and has a lot more support behind it.

Also Brad Muir.

Based on your diaper wearing avatar, you're either lying and are really young, and you ARE a newbie, or you're REALLY old, and dementia's set in and you're a newbie not due to lack of experience, but because of deficient mental dexterity.

Either way you're a newbie.
Lol old enough to remember Tiny Toons and the special hour long premiere on NBC. Old enough to remember Packard Bell Navigator on my first pc and Commander Keen as my first Id software game. So probably the latter.

I am thinking this many copies of insurgency out in the wild mean the game will be ruined with hackers.  If you get caught hacking it was only a quarter a pop - move on to the next account with a good standing and go again.

If anyone hasn't played Enslaved: Odyssey to the West yet you should. It's a great 3D platformer/brawler with a good story and characters. 

Being a Namco BANDAI game it has a low likelihood of being bundled, $5 seems to be the lowest price it drops to.

It's also price matched on Amazon right now for those with BING bucks jingling in their pockets.

Does anyone else play Dead Island Epidemic or am I the only one? When it works, I actually enjoy the game a decent amount. I've never been able to get into a Scavenger game though. I sat in the queue for 30 minutes before giving up. And almost every horde mode game I play has unbearable lag. 

If anyone hasn't played Enslaved: Odyssey to the West yet you should. It's a great 3D platformer/brawler with a good story and characters.

Being a Namco BANDAI game it has a low likelihood of being bundled, $5 seems to be the lowest price it drops to.

It's also price matched on Amazon right now for those with BING bucks jingling in their pockets.
lot of us got it the beginning of the year in an Enslaved/Inversion pack with EC coupon. i started it, never finished. i should go back someday. hey, remember when Tony and Amazon had good deals on games? no? neither do i...

Does anyone else play Dead Island Epidemic or am I the only one? When it works, I actually enjoy the game a decent amount. I've never been able to get into a Scavenger game though. I sat in the queue for 30 minutes before giving up. And almost every horde mode game I play has unbearable lag.
I thought the horde mode of Dead Island Epidemic just referred to accumulating beta invites in your steam inventory?

More AC Unity. Yes, the game is getting slated and probably rightfully so. However, despite the bug I mentioned above, that is literally the only problem I've had with about 2 hours total playtime. I decided to go ahead and play with settings and I'm able to Ultra everything with an FX-6300 and an R9 290X and maintain FPS from a short dip to 25 at the lowest (in a hugely crowded scene) to 60. There's been a few anomalies here and there, mainly just dumb NPC AI, but nothing has taken me out of the experience besides the bug I posted about earlier. I have to say I'm enjoying the game so far. I do think it needs to be patched, and maybe I'm lucky, but so far so good technically aside from the aforementioned bug. The more I play the more I am enjoying it. That said, I am a total history nerd and did a research paper on the French Revolution, so visiting places that I know a lot about and meeting historical figures in game (OMG Robiespierre!) may be reflected from me with a bit of a pre-disposition to the material. Actually, one thing that is a bit of an immersion killer is how most of the lead characters seemingly all have British accents lol. That doesnt make much sense to me since Ubisoft is FRENCH, but I'm getting used to it more as I keep playing.

Gameplay wise, its just Assassins Creed. I do like the new combat and the ability to enter buildings seamlessly with no load is very cool. 

2mfi4xk.jpg

Assassin's Creed needs to crawl into a hole and die. Or at least hibernate for a few years until game fatigue wears off and they can come up with something moderately innovative again. And so they can have enough time to not release a broken game.

Assassin's Creed needs to crawl into a hole and die. Or at least hibernate for a few years until game fatigue wears off and they can come up with something moderately innovative again. And so they can have enough time to not release a broken game.
I can't look at it this harshly. I do think it needs to become a more refined game (especially in respect to stealth) and if it was an every 2 or 3 years series I wouldn't mind in the slightest. But, IMO there have been more good games in the series than bad ones and I enjoy the gameplay. Hell, Black Flag was one of my top 3 games last year. I also enjoyed the Ezio series. That said, I think AC3 is trash and AC1 is very boring. Unity Im not nearly close to decided on, and Rogue is getting decent reviews so Im sure Ill play that too.

I can't look at it this harshly. I do think it needs to become a more refined game (especially in respect to stealth) and if it was an every 2 or 3 years series I wouldn't mind in the slightest. But, IMO there have been more good games in the series than bad ones and I enjoy the gameplay. Hell, Black Flag was one of my top 3 games last year. I also enjoyed the Ezio series. That said, I think AC3 is trash and AC1 is very boring. Unity Im not nearly close to decided on, and Rogue is getting decent reviews so Im sure Ill play that too.
I can't really judge Black Flag, as I haven't played it, although I heard good things. The series can really use a break though. Looking at wikipedia, if you include portable titles, there have been 13 games since 2007, including 8 main console based games. The series was getting really stale with Revelations and AC3, although Black Flag appeared to be a big step in the right direction. It's a series that could really use a break due to over saturation, but instead we're getting two games this year. Not to mention the abundance of technical issues that have been reported w/Unity, which indicates Ubisoft is pushing the games out too fast.

And this is more personal taste, but while AC games are fine enough, I don't understand the huge appeal to them. It's based around free running, which is fine, but not enough to carry a game. The "combat" is horrid; it's so laughably easy that it negates the necessity of stealth, which is what a game called "Assassin's Creed" should be about. I just don't understand the love for a series that to me is hardly what I would call exciting.

Holy smokes! Another indy bundle, where I didn't own a single one of the games on the BTA list.  wewt!1!

Time to start drinking cheap beer and haul some beef across Germany!

lot of us got it the beginning of the year in an Enslaved/Inversion pack with EC coupon. i started it, never finished. i should go back someday. hey, remember when Tony and Amazon had good deals on games? no? neither do i...
Oh yeah! That's where I got it from too. For some reason I thought I'd picked it up during the year for $5 with BING bucks.

:oldman:

[SIZE=14.3999996185303px]Although you could argue that since Inversion is so bad, Enslaved still cost $5 in that deal.[/SIZE]

Oh yeah! That's where I got it from too. For some reason I thought I'd picked it up during the year for $5 with BING bucks.

:oldman:

[SIZE=14.3999996185303px]Although you could argue that since Inversion is so bad, Enslaved still cost $5 in that deal.[/SIZE]
$2.49 actually.

vmqvdVK.png

I can't really judge Black Flag, as I haven't played it, although I heard good things. The series can really use a break though. Looking at wikipedia, if you include portable titles, there have been 13 games since 2007, including 8 main console based games. The series was getting really stale with Revelations and AC3, although Black Flag appeared to be a big step in the right direction. It's a series that could really use a break due to over saturation, but instead we're getting two games this year. Not to mention the abundance of technical issues that have been reported w/Unity, which indicates Ubisoft is pushing the games out too fast.
Well I completely agree that there are too many of the damn things. I kinda swore off this series after playing enough of the first one on PC to get really irritated with the "you-didn't-have-your-direction-angled-at-the-precise-point-required-for-that-jump-so-insta-die-and-reload" mechanics and quit. Then I invested 30-odd hours (hell, I really don't even remember) in Assassins Creed II on PS3, only to get stuck on a mission about 80-85% of the way through the game (IIRC, it was one where you have to sneak around and assassinate a bunch of different guys, all without ever being spotted). That aggravated me enough to quit playing the games altogether. I might go back at some point, but it'd have to be pretty cheap, cheaper than I've seen any of them to date--or free.

And this is more personal taste, but while AC games are fine enough, I don't understand the huge appeal to them. It's based around free running, which is fine, but not enough to carry a game. The "combat" is horrid; it's so laughably easy that it negates the necessity of stealth, which is what a game called "Assassin's Creed" should be about. I just don't understand the love for a series that to me is hardly what I would call exciting.
Despite my avoidance of the series, what I did play of AC II led me to appreciate the varied mechanics. While the story is strange, if you ignore all of the machine-lets-you-pretend-you-are-your-own-ancestor nonsense, it's a fairly-compelling revenge drama that expands out into something even more intriguing. The stealth, combat, and puzzle-room mechanics are all done fairly well, and the artwork, character design, and voice acting are quite good. Personally I think the idea that you are a master assassin means that you shouldn't need sophisticated combat tactics to dispatch most enemies.

I can't really judge Black Flag, as I haven't played it, although I heard good things.
One of the common complaints about Unity is that Black Flag did such a major successful change to the formula with the piracy and even AC3 had the naval and wilderness bits but Unity just puts you back into a city, scampering over ornate architecture and following dudes talking about their secret plans. The city itself is impressive but the game's scope took a big step back.

Even more free DRM free free freeness over on GOG! Mount & Blade.

And Witcher 2 if you collect stamps every day of the sale. See middle of GOG frontpage and a little bit further for more details.

Back to you, Tom.

Despite my avoidance of the series, what I did play of AC II led me to appreciate the varied mechanics. While the story is strange, if you ignore all of the machine-lets-you-pretend-you-are-your-own-ancestor nonsense, it's a fairly-compelling revenge drama that expands out into something even more intriguing. The stealth, combat, and puzzle-room mechanics are all done fairly well, and the artwork, character design, and voice acting are quite good. Personally I think the idea that you are a master assassin means that you shouldn't need sophisticated combat tactics to dispatch most enemies.
I actually thought the story (including the sci-fi crap because I'm a sucker for that stuff) was a strength. I also thought the puzzle rooms were one of the best parts of the entire series. My issue with the combat isn't that it's bad (even though it is), it's that it's so crazy easy. There's no penalty for getting caught. Think of the original Thief games. You NEEDED to be good at stealth because it was difficult fighting even a single enemy. Assassin's Creed? Oh I have a trail of 15 guards? It's cool I can kill them all. If I remember correctly, the original wasn't quite like that, but AC2 introduced counters, which kind of broke the combat. When you can walk up to a group of guards and be completely and utterly surprised if you even come close to death, that's not a stealth game. Combat in stealth should typically be a mode of self defense if you screw up. It shouldn't be the easiest way to progress through the game. That's where Assassin's Creed really fails - the combat is so easy that you'd rather just go up and kill your way through a level than commit to stealth. Where's the reward in stealthing? It takes way more time, and there's no reward to the player for it, so you just kill through the guards using the not-really-fun combat. I realize you can just force yourself to commit to stealth for the sake of challenge, but if you have to force yourself to do that in a game where the purpose should really BE stealth, then it's not a well designed game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back