Steam Deals Thread V13 ~ Star Wars Empire at War $6.80 | The Legend of Korra $10.04 | Red Faction Guerrilla $2.99 |

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrNinjaSquirrel

CAGiversary!
Feedback
25 (100%)
Summer sale has come and gone; welcome to the Steam Deals Thread V13!

Stop: Before you go any further be sure you are using Enhanced Steam. It will save you a lot of time and embarrassment in the future.

Daily Deal
Star Wars: Empire at War Gold Edition - $19.99 $6.80

Yesterday's Deal

N/A

Midweek Madness
The Legend of Korra - $14.99 $10.04

Red Faction - $9.99 $1.49
Red Faction II - $9.99 $1.49
Red Faction Armageddon - $19.99 $2.99
Red Faction Guerrilla - $19.99 $2.99 

Thanks to EastX, Detruire, Psydero, and everyone else that has contributed to the thread!

Last edited by a moderator:
I remember buying a hd4770 512MB thinking since the current consoles at the time (360/ps3) only had 512 I'd be good for the whole generation... I'm sure there's a lesson here somewhere.
PC's have more variants of configurations; more things + layers going on (API's like Direct X); etc etc.

Consoles run "on the metal", PC's really don't.

TL:DR - Expect PC's to need way more power than consoles.

I remember buying a hd4770 512MB thinking since the current consoles at the time (360/ps3) only had 512 I'd be good for the whole generation... I'm sure there's a lesson here somewhere.
I ran a 512mb 8800GT for the duration of that console generation, and it ran everything fine at the graphical level you would have gotten on consoles. It couldn't max everything out, but the end of the 360/PS3 lifecycle was also when PC ports were getting more development resources and looked better than consoles.

I ran a 512mb 8800GT for the duration of that console generation, and it ran everything fine at the graphical level you would have gotten on consoles. It couldn't max everything out, but the end of the 360/PS3 lifecycle was also when PC ports were getting more development resources and looked better than consoles.
On my previous rig, my GF 6600 got old; so I got a my BFG GF 8800GT OC was bad-ass with games like Oblivion + DAO, back in the day.

I had to do a RMA on the 8800, as well.

Uh.

Apparently a free visual novel that just got released on Steam has nudity. Lots of it. And uh, lots of sexual content.

It's crazy. Wonder what will happen to the game once they realize just how much stuff there is in the game.

IT'S ON THE FRONT PAGE.

It's the game with the Cyrillic title. And no I'm not linking to it because I don't want a mod to nuke half the thread.

Edit: The store page says "Rated M", but there's no ESRB listing on their site.

My HTPC / Steam-Big Picture PC has 32Gb of DDR3 and a 256Gb Samsung SSD.

The Ram was purchased before the price spike. I don't think I paid over $100 for the set.

Uh.

Apparently a free visual novel that just got released on Steam has nudity. Lots of it. And uh, lots of sexual content.

It's crazy. Wonder what will happen to the game once they realize just how much stuff there is in the game.
I'm putting this at the top of my backlog

Uh.

Wonder what will happen to the Internet once they realize just how much nudity there is on the Internet.

gallery_25786_6789_45357.png

sure I could run %99 of games just fine but what about the one game (gta4) that didn't? currently running a r9 270, next gpu will have at least 8 gigs. *yes I know gta4 is a bad example but that's what I wanted to play dammit;)

sure I could run %99 of games just fine but what about the one game (gta4) that didn't? currently running a r9 270, next gpu will have at least 8 gigs. *yes I know gta4 is a bad example but that's what I wanted to play dammit;)
... GTA IV runs like crap on beast systems anyway. That's not your fault, that was Rockstar's crappy port jobs at work.

... GTA IV runs like crap on beast systems anyway. That's not your fault, that was Rockstar's crappy port jobs at work.
yes yes but what about all the current console ports that are too lazy to use PC memory systems properly? I don't want to be kept from maxing a game because of an arbitrary number next to vram regardless who's fault it is. clown gta4 all you want but once I got it running right it was a game I used to convince several of my friends to build gaming PCs with.

minus the annoying cousin it could be argued the rest of what you mention is par for the course in a GTA game. did you like gay tony? I felt it was much better than the main game.

yes yes but what about all the current console ports that are too lazy to use PC memory systems properly? I don't want to be kept from maxing a game because of an arbitrary number next to vram regardless who's fault it is. clown gta4 all you want but once I got it running right it was a game I used to convince several of my friends to build gaming PCs with.
... I'm not saying GTA4 was a bad game. I own it, but haven't played it yet. Just that it was a bad port, as mentioned by lots of people who can't get the game to run at an acceptable framerate / speed without modding it.

I'm hoping Rockstar will fix the game one day after hearing that Max Payne 3 was a good port and playing through LA Noire myself. But this is Rockstar so they don't give a damn.

rockstar is definitely about that paper. they wouldn't even sell new gta5 for a discount! I do hope gta5 PC is a good port though. 30 fps on current consoles is a joke for a last Gen game...

I think we're talking 2016 before games actually use 4+ gig of VRAM (assuming you aren't shooting for 4k resolution now).  Note I don't count awful optimization on the developer end as a 'requirement.'  By the time I upgrade from my 770 in a year or so I doubt I'll have played more than half a dozen games that actually needed a card of that power.

I think we're talking 2016 before games actually use 4+ gig of VRAM (assuming you aren't shooting for 4k resolution now). Note I don't count awful optimization on the developer end as a 'requirement.' By the time I upgrade from my 770 in a year or so I doubt I'll have played more than half a dozen games that actually needed a card of that power.
shift the numbers a little bit and your statement has basically been repeated yearly since video cards became a thing. oh well nobody ever claimed this hobby was free ;)

Since GTA IV got brought up I would like to talk on a feature that just got added to the latest drivers for my Nvidia GPU. (It's a GTX770 btw)

It seems they finally added an option to use downsampling without having to resort to using an enbseries or similar mod for this game and others. Nvidia calls it Dynamic Super Resolution or DSR but it's really just an option to downsample any game without a lot of dicking around.

without it GTA IV was looking really aliased at the normal max resolution I was able to set without DSR which was 1920x1080.

With DSR set to 4.0x native resolution it would let me set the max resolution to 3840x2160. I would assume people using higher end monitors with better native resolutions will get better results.

This made the game look way smoother with very little to no aliasing whatsoever and the best part is I didn't need to mod it with an enb or any other form of modification. I'm playing it right from a fresh install.

This feature should work for about any game but so far I've only tried it with GTA IV.

This might be somewhat old news and if so I'm sorry. Disregard if so.

Last edited:
They added that since 344.48 WHQL to support Kepler and Fermi GPUs. It's still heavy for recent titles. I read the hit isn't as big for Maxwell cards. Played L4D2 with bunch of mods that breathe some life to it. Played it at 5120x2880 with 20% DSR smoothness and 4x MSAA, sharp as a mofo.

They added that since 344.48 WHQL to support Kepler and Fermi GPUs. It's still heavy for recent titles. I read the hit isn't as big for Maxwell cards. Played L4D2 with bunch of mods that breathe some life to it. Played it at 5120x2880 with 20% DSR smoothness and 4x MSAA, sharp as a mofo.
I guess I just need to update my drivers more often. Still one month isn't that long. Just tried it with Fallout New Vegas. Game looks super sweet.

Day 2.

Semi-annual BIG game giveaway. I think there are close to 80 games. First come first served. Please have over 300 posts. Also please use PMs to not clog the thread up. Please feel free to ask for more than one game, but don't be greedy. Most of these are from bundles so you might have them all. I cannot guarantee that all of the links are good. I will try to repost each morning the games that are left, and Friday afternoon I will post what is left for the lurkers.

dUpLicity ~Beyond the Lies~
Desura

Tiny and Big in Grandpa's Leftovers
Humble

Thomas Was Alone
Humble

Gunpoint
Humble

Dysan the Shapeshifter
Steam

Real World Racing
Steam

Canyon Capers
Indiegala

Dont Move
Desura

Memories of a Vagabond
Indiegala

CRUNCH TIME!
Desura

Disciples III - Gold Edition
Humble

Tank Operations: European Campaign
Humble

Prelogate
Desura?

Deponia
Indiegala

You Are Not A Banana: Chapter 1
Desura

Steel and Steam Episode 1
Steam

Book of Legends
Humble

Dawn of Fantasy: Kingdom Wars
Steam?

Majesty Gold HD
Steam

BANZAI PECAN
Desura

Mind Dead
Desura

IONBALL 2 : IONSTORM
Steam

Face Noir
Steam

Thomas Was Alone
Humble

Deadly 30
Humble

Crash Time 2
Steam

BARTER EMPIRE
Desura

Cossacks II: Napoleonic Wars
Steam

Cossacks: European Wars
Steam

Haegemonia: The Solon Heritage
Indiegala

Haegemonia: Legions of Iron
Indiegala

The Book of Unwritten Tales Digital Deluxe Edition
Indiegala

Type:Rider
Humble

Ludwig
Humble

Teleglitch: Die More Edition
Humble

Insanely Twisted Shadow Planet
Humble

Ionball 2: Ionstorm
Indiegala

Realms Of The Haunting
Indiegala

DUPLICITY ~BEYOND THE LIES~
Desura

Rush for Glory
Indiegala

*edit Deleted all of the taken games*

I only have 4GB

BTW, Why a LOT of people is buying Rise of nations? I know it is a good game and 75%... but... is there any other reason?
Well, those are the reasons, I expect. That and it's very unlikely that any Microsoft-published game will appear in a bundle, so 75% is likely the biggest discount you're going to get on this title.

I'm probably going to blow $5 of my Steam credit on it, even though I have two physical copies of Rise of Nations floating around here somewhere. It's one of the older-but-not-too-old RTS titles that I never got around to actually playing, and it's supposed to be quite good--Big Huge's successful prelude to Supreme Commander.

Well, those are the reasons, I expect. That and it's very unlikely that any Microsoft-published game will appear in a bundle, so 75% is likely the biggest discount you're going to get on this title.

I'm probably going to blow $5 of my Steam credit on it, even though I have two physical copies of Rise of Nations floating around here somewhere. It's one of the older-but-not-too-old RTS titles that I never got around to actually playing, and it's supposed to be quite good--Big Huge's successful prelude to Supreme Commander.
Microsoft Studios games showing up in bundles isn't unlikely, a bunch have been bundled before.

I want Rise of Nations but I would rather have a 4-pack copy at $3.75 or better yet, a HumbleBundle with other games I don't yet own.  I suppose this means I will just keep the game on my wishlist for now.

So either a handful of you guys joined up for some muliti-player or it takes 4.3 hours to farm cards.   ;)

what's the point of pc gaming if you are only trying to match consoles? I need to max are come close to any game I play on pc.

Letter Quest: Grimm's Journey Steam keys should be available from IGS if you picked it up a little while back. Comes out today, and has cards.

EDIT: Already posted last night by Modest Package in the IGS thread. Leaving it here for visibility.

Jumbo 2. Looks like it was actually Legacy collection (so AoE3 too and DLC for AoE2). It was $15-tier so that may explain why you don't remember it.
Yep, that would explain it.

what's the point of pc gaming if you are only trying to match consoles? I need to max are come close to any game I play on pc.
Well, not everyone <cough, cough> can afford to have the latest and greatest hardware. Some of us get by on ancient rigs. The only game I want to play that I haven't been able to because the system requirements were flat-out too steep for me is Shadow of Mordor. My system is probably close to seven years old, and I expect that as more games come out that are developed for next-gen consoles, I'll see more and more new games that I won't be able to run (unless I buy a down-scaled PS3 version).

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back