Steam Deals Thread V13 ~ Star Wars Empire at War $6.80 | The Legend of Korra $10.04 | Red Faction Guerrilla $2.99 |

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrNinjaSquirrel

CAGiversary!
Feedback
25 (100%)
Summer sale has come and gone; welcome to the Steam Deals Thread V13!

Stop: Before you go any further be sure you are using Enhanced Steam. It will save you a lot of time and embarrassment in the future.

Daily Deal
Star Wars: Empire at War Gold Edition - $19.99 $6.80

Yesterday's Deal

N/A

Midweek Madness
The Legend of Korra - $14.99 $10.04

Red Faction - $9.99 $1.49
Red Faction II - $9.99 $1.49
Red Faction Armageddon - $19.99 $2.99
Red Faction Guerrilla - $19.99 $2.99 

Thanks to EastX, Detruire, Psydero, and everyone else that has contributed to the thread!

Last edited by a moderator:
controller_config_controller.png

New evolution of steam controller.
Are they really still trying with this? Aren't Steamboxes so like two years ago?

[quote name="cyrus386" post="12332640" timestamp="1418747987"]Are they really still trying with this? Aren't Steamboxes so like two years ago?[/quote]
I still hate spoder...

And software. (Assuming you need one of those, these rarely get deep discounts like games).

My shame of winnings list:

Defense Techinca 1 101 gems

Proxy Blade Zero 1 200 gems

Total ~2€ worth of gems sold in market at current price. Scrapped from background & emoticons, so effectively these were free.

Fun fact: There are at least 1035 auctions, that has 75%+ discount assuming gems bought at $1.25
Well you're in Europe so all the Murican bidders were asleep. :p

I won Death Rally for like 1500 gems, most of which I just got from recycling stuff, and buying a few 100 gem things for like $.03 the first day.  Even at $1.25 or so per 1k gems, that's less than ~$2.  Got the badge and a +1 for like $0.20 out of pocket.

I doubt it, but I figured I'd ask one of you Steamhounds this.

Is there a way to view past auction prices? I haven't seen a way to view closed auction final bids, so I don't know whether I'm not looking in the right place or they just haven't implemented this feature. If they haven't, they should. Would be nice to see how many gems I should buy as some of the games up for on auction from my Wishlist looks like they can be had for a pretty decent price.

Is there any easy way to tell if a particular game's backgrounds and emoticons give say 80-100 gems vs 10-40?

Just from completely non-scientific observation it seems to me like the Pew Pew military guys shooting shit games give a lot of gems on the backgrounds and emoticons and the artsy fartsy stuff gives crap. Price doesn't really seem to be a factor so maybe it's popularity?

Is there any easy way to tell if a particular game's backgrounds and emoticons give say 80-100 gems vs 10-40?

Just from completely non-scientific observation it seems to me like the Pew Pew military guys shooting shit games give a lot of gems on the backgrounds and emoticons and the artsy fartsy stuff gives crap. Price doesn't really seem to be a factor so maybe it's popularity?
Stuff that flooded the market is worth more. Stuff that's is less common is worth much less. This is why TF2 and CS:Go crafting rewards were worth that much - they were so numerous nobody bought them at 0.03, so it made sense to get rid of them like this.

If you want to see how much an item is worth without buying it, you can check someone's backpack and you'll be able to see their value there. Check mine for an example.

Plus I think Valve intentionally priced their stuff high to get rid of them, while other common stuff from less popular games, of which thousands of copies are in the market, are worth nothing.

Pretty much every emoticon and background got down to 3 cents with only rare exceptions, even the obscure stuff. I think Valve overestimated the demand for those. Unless you make a weed emoticon, then there's a demand. :p

Still, you're right that CS:GO etc had way more quantity of 3 cent stuff out there on the market than most indie games so they probably are giving more incentive to flush those junk items out where there's more of them.

Completely forgot this was a thing. This is still intriguing to me if they can still make it functional for the entire steam library like i heard initially
All they need to do now to make this into a viable product is add some thumbsticks to the big round empty areas.

Got my auction win badge yay. Both recycled my unwanted emoticons & backgrounds AND replaced a hard copy on my shelf at the same time. And a sack's worth left over to convert to wallet hooray.

Yea, I did a last minute conversion.  Roughly 2 bucks in items got me Empress of the Deep 2.. which I don't care about other than I wanted the badge.  Oh well (shrug)  Auctions done.

^ Gift, with a note that says it was won in the auction, which is cool.

5fc453472a.jpg

But I guess it also means no trading, even after 30 days.

Is anybody else having problems connecting with Steam?  I keep getting the screen saying I can't connect but my Internet is working just fine.  I was logged in fine but rebooted my laptop for a second.  I couldn't log in after the reboot.

So everything bought, old or new from Russia and CIS, and Indonesia is region-locked now. Guess the whole thing with keys doesn't matter anymore. Damn.

Edit: To be clear, not retroactive it seems. (If its in inventory.)

Is the region lock because Russia's currency is tanking
As most of you know, our developer tools suggest pricing based on market research and purchasing power parity. In the case of territories such as Russia, Brazil, and SE Asia, we suggested pricing that is lower than the direct USD conversion. This is based on our assessment of actual pricing of comparable products in that market. Recently Rubles have hit an all-time low which has been a concern of many game developers. We are still assessing the market to see if suggesting new prices in Russia is right for customers who live in that market. We do not think that pricing based on currency conversion only is the right way to approach the Russian market necessarily.

What we are doing immediately in response to the Ruble drop is limiting trading and gifting from Russia to prevent people from taking advantage of the situation. We have been applying a gifting and trading lock of this type on all newly created packages on Steam since mid-2014. Today we have propped a change that will affect all packages on Steam which will not allow them to be unpacked to an account, if gifted or traded from a lower priced region to a higher priced region. This change is not retroactive and only affects new purchases. It also will not affect customers in that region from gifting a copy to other people in that same region. All customers will have proper warning when they are purchasing a gift prior to checkout in those regions as well. We will continue to assess the situation and make changes if necessary in the future. If you have any questions please feel free to write us via the contact form via the Steamworks Development site - Documentation & Help -> Contact Steam Publishing."

Guess I should have bought Prison Architect for rubles last sale... and guess I won't be buying crap this time.  When their sales tank maybe they'll reassess this decision.

Starting now? As of yesterday there were still a ton of indie games (and some big publishers) that didn't do it.
EVERYTHING. Publisher settings have been completely overidden.

If you are in one of the cheap regions and try to purchase as a gift this is what it tells you:

hQM1IDV.png

Basically cross region trading has been killed dead.

Can we just switch our region to, say, Russia then?
Absolutely not. #1 just doing that wont work, you need to use a VPN to do it, and if you try to purchase using a VPN you will get the banhammer quicker than you can say banhammer. I imagine a lot of people are going to try and work the system and its so easy for Valve to catch anyone doing it (espc with the financial trail i.e. $ to rubles) that its just not worth it whatsoever.

Great so the last thing I decide to buy from our friends in notaroundhereville was Commander Keen?

God fuck ingdammit

From a Dev forum:

"As most of you know, our developer tools suggest pricing based on market research and purchasing power parity. In the case of territories such as Russia, Brazil, and SE Asia, we suggested pricing that is lower than the direct USD conversion. This is based on our assessment of actual pricing of comparable products in that market. Recently Rubles have hit an all-time low which has been a concern of many game developers. We are still assessing the market to see if suggesting new prices in Russia is right for customers who live in that market. We do not think that pricing based on currency conversion only is the right way to approach the Russian market necessarily.

What we are doing immediately in response to the Ruble drop is limiting trading and gifting from Russia to prevent people from taking advantage of the situation.

We have been applying a gifting and trading lock of this type on all newly created packages on Steam since mid-2014. Today we have propped a change that will affect all packages on Steam which will not allow them to be unpacked to an account, if gifted or traded from a lower priced region to a higher priced region. This change is not retroactive and only affects new purchases. It also will not affect customers in that region from gifting a copy to other people in that same region. All customers will have proper warning when they are purchasing a gift prior to checkout in those regions as well. We will continue to assess the situation and make changes if necessary in the future. If you have any questions please feel free to write us via the contact form via the Steamworks Development site - Documentation & Help -> Contact Steam Publishing."

I remember some key traders selling off their keys about 4-6 weeks ago.  Some may have known what was coming.  The key market will take a huge hit if people cannot trade for games.  I might be reading a little too much into this, but this issue is a game changer, pun intended.  Micro economies that developed due to Steam seemed to be on the edge of a cliff.  Hopefully, things will stabilize and everyone can get back to buying games, building backlogs and even playing games.

What is this playing thing?  I thought we buy Steam games like people who are buying those Amiibo's.. just to sit there and preen that you have them.  Not that you actually USE them for anything :p

New Releases

Vagante(early access)- $14.99

Rime Berta- $13.49

Acension: Deckbuilding Game- $9.99

Sky Mercenaries- $8.49

Dream Tale- $4.24

KoF 98- $14.99

Subnautica(early access)- $17.99

Dangerous- $16.99

FRONTIERS(early access)- $14.99

Clash of Puppers- $2.99

National Zombie Park- $6.79

NEO Scavenger(out of early access)- $14.99

Town of Salem- $4.99

Metrocide(out of early access)- $11.04

LISA- $8.99

fault milestone one- $11.24

theHunter: Primal(early access)- $19.99

I remember some key traders selling off their keys about 4-6 weeks ago. Some may have known what was coming. The key market will take a huge hit if people cannot trade for games. I might be reading a little too much into this, but this issue is a game changer, pun intended. Micro economies that developed due to Steam seemed to be on the edge of a cliff. Hopefully, things will stabilize and everyone can get back to buying games, building backlogs and even playing games.
People go in and out of key trading every day. Sure, they may have had some inside information, but I don't think there's a conspiracy here. I think Valve are actually doing right by the developers b/c the ruble is in such a shambles and they lose a lot of money because of that. Obviously, we as consumers want the cheapest price so its natural for us to be like fuck YOU VOLVO.

And yes, this is a game changer completely. I reckon 99% of my game purchases on PC are via trading and have been for the last 2 years. If a game is region locked it greatly affects whether or not I will get it or not. This upcoming sale won't affect me too much in this respect as my target list is low and I generally am more flexible during sales, but regular year round purchases will be greatly affected. There's so many games I'd never have even considered getting but I did because of the ability to save so much with trading.

I think the effect on keys will be slower to manifest itself as there are still thousands of gifts that are not locked out there (this new rule is not applied retroactively). You cant judge it by the sale as key prices always plummet during sales either. Its going to be really interesting to see where the TF2 economy is in about a month or two.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back