Steam Deals Thread V13 ~ Star Wars Empire at War $6.80 | The Legend of Korra $10.04 | Red Faction Guerrilla $2.99 |

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrNinjaSquirrel

CAGiversary!
Feedback
25 (100%)
Summer sale has come and gone; welcome to the Steam Deals Thread V13!

Stop: Before you go any further be sure you are using Enhanced Steam. It will save you a lot of time and embarrassment in the future.

Daily Deal
Star Wars: Empire at War Gold Edition - $19.99 $6.80

Yesterday's Deal

N/A

Midweek Madness
The Legend of Korra - $14.99 $10.04

Red Faction - $9.99 $1.49
Red Faction II - $9.99 $1.49
Red Faction Armageddon - $19.99 $2.99
Red Faction Guerrilla - $19.99 $2.99 

Thanks to EastX, Detruire, Psydero, and everyone else that has contributed to the thread!

Last edited by a moderator:
http://www.greenmangaming.com/s/us/en/pc/games/indie/hatoful-boyfriend/#item-s3

so Hatoful Boyfriend is $2.50 on gmg. if i understand the original was bundled but keys weren't given cuz it was reworked/re-translated. is it a good bet this version gets bundled?

cuz ya know, I NEED MA PIGEON SEX!!!
The voucher WINTER-SALE20-GROGRE brings it down to $2. It's Devolver Digital so I think it'll be bundled soon and often, but you probably already have the 800 Serious Sam games they'll bundle it with.

Since no-one posted yet (people gave up on the sale this early?)

New 12 but really 24 hour deals:

The Wolf Among Us--$6.24 (75% off)

Omerta: City of Gangsters--$2.99 (85% off)
I missed free Omerta from GMG. Worth a grab? The gold edition is $4.50 more and the DLC on its own is $4.46. I think the base game will hit a bundle very soon, but what about gold?

I think that Valve gave up a few years ago on trying to make these sales fun and creative ways to justify exploring your backlog while bargain-hunting at the same time, and once it did, it kinda sucked the fun out of it for all of us (well, for me at least).
Valve time-shifted the event to just before the sale this time. They've still been doing different events for each of these sales, though every time people complain that coal was better That, at least, hasn't changed in the couple of years I've been on CAG. Coal was better is the motto of every sale. and it's always the worst. And yet people still post their hauls after the sale, having found some nice deals here and there. Every time.

I like the once-a-day votes. I like the increased grace period on catching flash deals. But I'm usually on the road traveling during part of the sale and busy with holiday stuff for part of the rest. Having more time available to catch sales and votes work for the way my holidays go.

My concern though is that if Inquisition doesn't sell a ton more copies than Dragon Age 2 (and remember DA2 was on Steam at launch) that EA will look at it as why bother spending extra time effort and money when you can make about the same amount of sales cutting corners and half assing with a short development cycle.

I'm not sure EA will go for another game like this if it's not super mega uber blockbuster. And on the PC side, while I don't have much problem with it personally, forcing the mountain to come to Mohammed (Origin) is not helping. Plus we're all so damned spoiled with cheap prices that it seems outrageous to pay regular prices even for games we want and will play the hell out of.

/End MysterD-eque RPG rant
i get the feeling that even if it does sell well, this might be the swan song for the Dragon Age franchise. from random shit i've read, this game was basically a test run for Mass Effect. and though I enjoy the Dragon Age games, i've always felt that it was Bioware's red headed stepchild to ME. and though i don't have any evidence, i bet more gamers prefer the sci-fi setting of ME to the high fantasy of DA. anyways, i hope i'm wrong and get to see more of these games to come...

I was immediately bored with Mass Effect and think the sci-fi was a good part of that. I just like dragons more than space ships.

Inquisition got enough critical raves and seems to have sold enough (anecdotal judging from traffic in threads on various forums) that I'd think they'd knock out another but I guess we won't know until we start seeing hard sales numbers.

Paradox newsletter subscribers are receiving a free steam key for Cities In Motion in an email titled, "[Free Game Inside!] Paradox Forum Newsletter December 2014"

http://www.greenmangaming.com/s/us/en/pc/games/indie/hatoful-boyfriend/#item-s3

so Hatoful Boyfriend is $2.50 on gmg. if i understand the original was bundled but keys weren't given cuz it was reworked/re-translated. is it a good bet this version gets bundled?

cuz ya know, I NEED MA PIGEON SEX!!!
I would but you know once Paca Plus comes out on Steam a Beastiality Bundle can't be far behind.

The voucher WINTER-SALE20-GROGRE brings it down to $2. It's Devolver Digital so I think it'll be bundled soon and often, but you probably already have the 800 Serious Sam games they'll bundle it with.
There's no $10 minimum? If so, stop tempting me with pigeon sex!

i get the feeling that even if it does sell well, this might be the swan song for the Dragon Age franchise. from random shit i've read, this game was basically a test run for Mass Effect. and though I enjoy the Dragon Age games, i've always felt that it was Bioware's red headed stepchild to ME. and though i don't have any evidence, i bet more gamers prefer the sci-fi setting of ME to the high fantasy of DA. anyways, i hope i'm wrong and get to see more of these games to come...
I kind of get the same vibe too but we'll see. I've heard the next ME is supposed to more or less be Dragon Age Inquisition in space. I guess that's not so bad but I never really got into ME. Guess I could start with the next one since the triology is over. Or, you know, play the ones I already own.

I was immediately bored with Mass Effect and think the sci-fi was a good part of that. I just like dragons more than space ships.

Inquisition got enough critical raves and seems to have sold enough (anecdotal judging from traffic in threads on various forums) that I'd think they'd knock out another but I guess we won't know until we start seeing hard sales numbers.
Well there's what everyone else in the universe considers a success and there's what EA considers a success.

I'm kind of curious how launching without Steam affects things on the PC side of sales, but they did it with ME3 and they're still making more of them so I guess it's not enough to make a huge difference no matter how many vocal people on the internet scream about it.

Paradox newsletter subscribers are receiving a free steam key for Cities In Motion in an email titled, "[Free Game Inside!] Paradox Forum Newsletter December 2014"
FREE OLD ASS GAME THAT'S BEEN ON SALE AND BUNDLED A BAJILLION TIMES. Merry Christmas!

Why yes, I am ungrateful.

Since we're still talking about Bioware, for someone who's never played Mass Effect should I just get the trilogy? I know Neuro has MysteryD'd about the various DLCs and versions and what not, but can I get a sparknotes version?

Steam users are idiots.

HwHxrgI.png

Since we're still talking about Bioware, for someone who's never played Mass Effect should I just get the trilogy? I know Neuro has MysteryD'd about the various DLCs and versions and what not, but can I get a sparknotes version?
This is what I recommend.

ME 1- DLC is optional. It's alright but nothing that screams I need to play it.

ME 2- The DLC is worth it (well the one with missions, the ones with just items are meh).

ME 3- I don't know since I only briefly had contact with that game.

As for my thoughts on Dragon Age. Dragon Age Origins was good, DA II was meh but not a bad game by any means, Dragon Age Inquisition I had to stop playing due to 8.2 million sidequests boring me to death.

Yea, just get the trilogy. Here's the trilogy pack wiki on whats included. There are a lot of DLCs missing for ME2 and ME3 which are fairly essential to each game, which can only be purchased via Bioware points.

You can probably avoid the appearance and weapon packs, and get the story related ones below:

DLC for ME1 are all included in the trilogy pack.

Story DLC for ME2: Kasumi - Stolen Memory, Overlord, Lair of the Shadow Broker, Arrival, Zaeed - Price of Revenge (Free)

Story DLC for ME3: From Ashes, Leviathan, Omega, Citadel

List of ME DLCs in general

*Edit: Nina'd by CM

If you don't have any and can live with not having the first two on Steam (the 3rd you can't get on Steam) then the Triology is probably the way to go.

If you have a PS3 be aware their version of the trilogy gets more DLC but none of them have all the DLC.

Dragon Age Inquisition I had to stop playing due to 8.2 million sidequests boring me to death.
I take it you never got out of the Hinterlands? There's a TON of sidequests there but the vast majority are optional and you can easily skip it and get on with the main quests. After Hinterlands there are more areas most not quite as huge and with not quite as many (optional) sidequests. The game really takes off after the whole defend Haven scenario which is just a bit past the Hinterlands really if you don't get obsessed with doing all the sidequests. After that a lot of the minor quests get shifted to the war table so you don't actually do the running around and fetching, and most of those are optional too.

Let's go back to Omerta, shall we?

There's no massive benefit for getting "Gold" over the base edition price-wise (known as the anti-Skyrim effect). So should I get Gold? Or just ignore the DLC?

Also, to my BGCQ Secret Santa... *hint*

*Edit: Nina'd by CM

If you don't have any and can live with not having the first two on Steam (the 3rd you can't get on Steam) then the Triology is probably the way to go.

If you have a PS3 be aware their version of the trilogy gets more DLC but none of them have all the DLC.

I take it you never got out of the Hinterlands? There's a TON of sidequests there but the vast majority are optional and you can easily skip it and get on with the main quests. After Hinterlands there are more areas most not quite as huge and with not quite as many (optional) sidequests. The game really takes off after the whole defend Haven scenario which is just a bit past the Hinterlands really if you don't get obsessed with doing all the sidequests. After that a lot of the minor quests get shifted to the war table so you don't actually do the running around and fetching, and most of those are optional too.
I'm still hoping that prior to ME4 we'll get "Mass Effect Trilogy Definitive Forever HD Plus Remix" edition that includes all the DLC. It's outrageous that the complete story due to basically necessary DLC costs 5x or more than just getting the three core games.

Let's go back to Omerta, shall we?

There's no massive benefit for getting "Gold" over the base edition price-wise (known as the anti-Skyrim effect). So should I get Gold? Or just ignore the DLC?

Also, to my BGCQ Secret Santa... *hint*
FWIW The Japanese Incentive adds a whole new campaign and most of the reviews I read felt it was better than the main campaign. If you are really, really going to play it I'd get gold. If you're just lying to yourself for a +1 then get whatever's cheapest. :p

The DA:I side quest complaints are always frustrating to my brain. None of them are required so just don't do them. A game offering a million things to do isn't a flaw just because you personally feel compelled to do everyone one of them. It's a world of things to do, not a game where you do everything in the world.

It was a cliche plot, but it was a well told story.
I agree it was well told, but, imho, having a good/interesting plot is a pretty important part. Like I said before, it's not that I don't think DAO had a bad story, and the game's strengths were the depths of its lore and the characters, but the overall weak plot makes me feel less interested in it than other games I'd previously mentioned.

The DA:I side quest complaints are always frustrating to my brain. None of them are required so just don't do them. A game offering a million things to do isn't a flaw just because you personally feel compelled to do everyone one of them. It's a world of things to do, not a game where you do everything in the world.
Agreed, to me an analogy is like you go to a buffet and complain "They have way too much food here, I'm never gonna eat it all." Dude you don't have to; pick and choose what you want.

The DA:I side quest complaints are always frustrating to my brain. None of them are required so just don't do them. A game offering a million things to do isn't a flaw just because you personally feel compelled to do everyone one of them. It's a world of things to do, not a game where you do everything in the world.
You know, any RPG with a fair amount of non-linear content gets this sort of thing. People have long complained about it in Elder Scrolls. Hell, I remember in the early 90s people had the same complaint for Ultima 7.

It kind of reminds me of the people who freak the fuck out about Railworks having 800 million dollars in DLC as if it's simply not possible to, you know, just buy the one or two tracks you like and be happy with that.

Anyway, back to Inquisition, this post is one of the top rated on the Dragon Age Reddit.

http://www.reddit.com/r/dragonage/comments/2mw0iz/psa_leave_the_fucking_hinterlands/

PSA - Leave the fucking Hinterlands

Rant incoming.

OK, so I'm reading a lot of feedback about the game on different sites and I'm noticing a big trend. A lot of of the people complaining about the game are saying things like "boring sidequests," "really slow," "can't get into the story/characters." And that is almost always accompanied by "I'm trying to do everything in the Hinterlands before moving on."

Normally I wouldn't tell anybody else how to play the game. And I definitely recognize the OCD-ness, must complete everything, don't want to miss anything impulses.

But seriously. LEAVE. THE fuckING. HINTERLANDS.

The Hinterlands is meant as a starting area. Honestly, it has the most boring quests in the game and is probably the most boring area.

You're a fucking Inquisitor, you shouldn't be too overly concerned with a farmer's missing druffalo.

Do some stuff, gain some power, then go to the war table and use that power to unlock the next stuff.

"But wait! I'm going to miss stuff if I advance the story." No, you won't. All of the areas remain unlocked and you can go back and do everything. Even after you finish the main story.

Actually, you are going to miss stuff if you STAY in the Hinterlands. In the sense that you are going to level up killing low-level bandits and then be overleveled for the story content and areas that are actually cool.

If you move the story just a bit, you get access to a whole bunch of new characters, who all come with their own quests (which are cool). You get more into the story - big stuff happens, you get to make your first big choice, you eventually move to your main stronghold (which is fully customizable).

The game completely opens up if you just leave and do some other stuff. I'm pretty far into the game. Last night I played a story mission and by the end I just sat there going "god DAMN that was awesome." It was so impressive. But people are like, scared of moving the story. I don't want it to be over either, but the coolest parts, the most memorable parts, aren't going to be getting that one guy's wife a potion.

If you're grinding out the Hinterlands and having a ball - more power to you. Stay and settle down and become a farmer. Live in Redcliffe and never leave.

If you're still in the Hinterlands and feel like the game is slow or the sidequests are boring - maybe it's because you are basically doing the equivalent of staying in the cellar of the tavern and killing rats.

Completionism for completionism's sake is no good if it kills your own enjoyment. And honestly, you are going to start leveling up doing stupid stuff, leaving you overleveled for the much cooler stuff.

By the way - some stuff in the Hinterlands is clearly not meant to be done at the beginning. You got killed by a dragon? That rift is spitting out level 12 demons? YEP, that's Bioware telling you to MOVE THE fuck ON and come back later.

It's not just you guys, it's GameFAQs and Bioware Social Network and every site it seems half the topics are about how I need to grind through the Hinterlands. Just made me a bit nuts because 99% of what I love about this game has zilch to do with the Hinterlands.

Ok, rant over. Sorry for yelling. We good?

My concern though is that if Inquisition doesn't sell a ton more copies than Dragon Age 2 (and remember DA2 was on Steam at launch) that EA will look at it as why bother spending extra time effort and money when you can make about the same amount of sales cutting corners and half assing with a short development cycle.
That's the funny thing, although I'm aware of DA:I, since it's not on Steam I'm not reminded of it on the big sales.

I missed free Omerta from GMG. Worth a grab?
<cough> gilby <cough>

Steam users are idiots.

HwHxrgI.png
I know, right?

Screen_Shot_2014_12_22_at_9_37_35_AM.png

That's the funny thing, although I'm aware of DA:I, since it's not on Steam I'm not reminded of it on the big sales.
Well we used to have an Amazon rep for that sort of thing but...

Although Cheapy did update the OP in the new Amazon PCDD Christmas sale thread. I guess Cheapy is the defacto Amazon rep now at least during big sale times considering he has a vested interest. :p

You know, any RPG with a fair amount of non-linear content gets this sort of thing. People have long complained about it in Elder Scrolls. Hell, I remember in the early 90s people had the same complaint for Ultima 7.

It kind of reminds me of the people who freak the fuck out about Railworks having 800 million dollars in DLC as if it's simply not possible to, you know, just buy the one or two tracks you like and be happy with that.

Anyway, back to Inquisition, this post is one of the top rated on the Dragon Age Reddit.

http://www.reddit.com/r/dragonage/comments/2mw0iz/psa_leave_the_fucking_hinterlands/

PSA - Leave the fucking Hinterlands

Rant incoming.

OK, so I'm reading a lot of feedback about the game on different sites and I'm noticing a big trend. A lot of of the people complaining about the game are saying things like "boring sidequests," "really slow," "can't get into the story/characters." And that is almost always accompanied by "I'm trying to do everything in the Hinterlands before moving on."

Normally I wouldn't tell anybody else how to play the game. And I definitely recognize the OCD-ness, must complete everything, don't want to miss anything impulses.

But seriously. LEAVE. THE fuckING. HINTERLANDS.

The Hinterlands is meant as a starting area. Honestly, it has the most boring quests in the game and is probably the most boring area.

You're a fucking Inquisitor, you shouldn't be too overly concerned with a farmer's missing druffalo.

Do some stuff, gain some power, then go to the war table and use that power to unlock the next stuff.

"But wait! I'm going to miss stuff if I advance the story." No, you won't. All of the areas remain unlocked and you can go back and do everything. Even after you finish the main story.

Actually, you are going to miss stuff if you STAY in the Hinterlands. In the sense that you are going to level up killing low-level bandits and then be overleveled for the story content and areas that are actually cool.

If you move the story just a bit, you get access to a whole bunch of new characters, who all come with their own quests (which are cool). You get more into the story - big stuff happens, you get to make your first big choice, you eventually move to your main stronghold (which is fully customizable).

The game completely opens up if you just leave and do some other stuff. I'm pretty far into the game. Last night I played a story mission and by the end I just sat there going "god DAMN that was awesome." It was so impressive. But people are like, scared of moving the story. I don't want it to be over either, but the coolest parts, the most memorable parts, aren't going to be getting that one guy's wife a potion.

If you're grinding out the Hinterlands and having a ball - more power to you. Stay and settle down and become a farmer. Live in Redcliffe and never leave.

If you're still in the Hinterlands and feel like the game is slow or the sidequests are boring - maybe it's because you are basically doing the equivalent of staying in the cellar of the tavern and killing rats.

Completionism for completionism's sake is no good if it kills your own enjoyment. And honestly, you are going to start leveling up doing stupid stuff, leaving you overleveled for the much cooler stuff.

By the way - some stuff in the Hinterlands is clearly not meant to be done at the beginning. You got killed by a dragon? That rift is spitting out level 12 demons? YEP, that's Bioware telling you to MOVE THE fuck ON and come back later.

It's not just you guys, it's GameFAQs and Bioware Social Network and every site it seems half the topics are about how I need to grind through the Hinterlands. Just made me a bit nuts because 99% of what I love about this game has zilch to do with the Hinterlands.

Ok, rant over. Sorry for yelling. We good?
I never understood people who complain about "too much stuff." To me, having lots of stuff to do in a well crafted world adds to the immersion, in addition to adding monetary value to the game in terms of added playtime. And honestly, some games wouldn't fare well if there wasn't a lot to do. Can you imagine the Elder Scrolls series if the world was smaller to fit to these types of complaints? If all there was in the game was the main quest and a couple side quests? The game wouldn't be nearly as interesting. In fact, with the relatively poor game mechanics, a game like that wouldn't be seen as a premiere modern RPG, but a 2nd tier one. The insane amount of content in these games is half the point. If somebody thinks there's "too much to do" you should either limit yourself and just do the main quest or just accept it's not your cup of tea and play something linear.

Re: The Hinterlands - I haven't played DAI yet, but I think even Bioware advised people to leave the Hinterlands.

Paradox throwing us newsletter folks a free CIties in Motion is a great business move.   Anybody who was going to buy it probably has.  Giving it out to new people is bound to hook some of them into forking out quite a bit of money for the DLC and/or the sequel.

Everyone else seems to be doing it these days so probably.

I like the ones where they just cut and paste the description from the new improved console version over to the (not so) new improved PC version with lines like 'Now in 1080p High Definition!'. :roll:

I know it's not super CAG of me, but I've been waiting on Dynasty Warriors 8 forever... been super jonesing for one, so I said I'd grab it if went on 66%+ sale again.  

Bought. Guilty pleasure time. 

Well we used to have an Amazon rep for that sort of thing but...

Although Cheapy did update the OP in the new Amazon PCDD Christmas sale thread. I guess Cheapy is the defacto Amazon rep now at least during big sale times considering he has a vested interest. :p
Please tell me you're not referring to this thread. Since a few angry nerds got the old Amazon threads shutdown, there's no proper place to post Amazon PCDD stuff.

Don't get Saints Row 4.

They're doing the HD version sold as a new game thing like Dark Souls.
I already play it in better-than-HD. #PCGamingMasterRace

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back