Steam Deals Thread V13 ~ Star Wars Empire at War $6.80 | The Legend of Korra $10.04 | Red Faction Guerrilla $2.99 |

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrNinjaSquirrel

CAGiversary!
Feedback
25 (100%)
Summer sale has come and gone; welcome to the Steam Deals Thread V13!

Stop: Before you go any further be sure you are using Enhanced Steam. It will save you a lot of time and embarrassment in the future.

Daily Deal
Star Wars: Empire at War Gold Edition - $19.99 $6.80

Yesterday's Deal

N/A

Midweek Madness
The Legend of Korra - $14.99 $10.04

Red Faction - $9.99 $1.49
Red Faction II - $9.99 $1.49
Red Faction Armageddon - $19.99 $2.99
Red Faction Guerrilla - $19.99 $2.99 

Thanks to EastX, Detruire, Psydero, and everyone else that has contributed to the thread!

Last edited by a moderator:
Some of these 'stalwarts' need to be taken out of the rotation like Meat Boy, Just Cause 2, Garry's Mod, etc.  Just make them their feature discount the entire sale.  I doubt they find many people to bite on those titles at less than 75% off, anyway.  Also they need to get rid of the featured discounts that only boost it by 10% or less.  25 to 33% is pointless -- just keep it 33% the entire sale.  Of course, I'm sure their way makes the most money but it sucks for savvy consumers.

Eh the servers go offline every once in a while but I've never seen it down for longer than a day. Usually if the servers down I just go and play any of the other hundreds of games in my backlog. Also console peasants don't get the unoffical patch, so screw that.

I bought my copy off Amazon so I can't tell you how many hours I've spent exactly but it's gotta be pretty close to the triple digit range. At $5 it's a steal.
It can't be played offline?

All three are excellent choices.
Which of the racing games to buy, though? Four Need For Speed games are at 80% off. This seems the time to grab at least one, maybe more.

Need for Speed Undercover?

Need for Speed Hot Pursuit?

Need for Speed Shift?

Shift 2?

This is a job for Asheskitty.

Which of the racing games to buy, though? Four Need For Speed games are at 80% off. This seems the time to grab at least one, maybe more.

Need for Speed Shift?

Shift 2?

I've played Undercover. Is not a bad game, but not game to die for also. According to reviews and some videos, I would stick to Hot Pursuit.

I'm leaning towards buying TDU2 instead of NFS HP, because I'm already playing NFS Most Wanted, and TDU2 looks like a different kind of driving game comparing to all I already have

Half an hour before the Nuuvem price on Wolfenstein ($15) flips. To buy or not to buy...

Edit: Welp, never mind, Nuuvem won't let me buy it because it's not for my region. Wow.

Doesn't look like it. The Google cache shows it was region locked to South America, but it doesn't say that any more.
It's region free. I remember this from a malodorous euro-forum. Also steamlocks.tk, gives me assurance.

Eh the servers go offline every once in a while but I've never seen it down for longer than a day. Usually if the servers down I just go and play any of the other hundreds of other games I have in my backlog. Also console peasants don't get the unoffical patch, so screw that.

I bought my copy off Amazon so I can't tell you how many hours I've spent exactly but it's gotta be pretty close to the triple digit range. At $5 it's a steal.
Ah yes, I have to give a nod to the unofficial patch too.

Need for Speed Shift?

Shift 2?

NFS: HP is easily the best of those. Undercover was competent but totally unchallenging for me. Shift, I've only played #1... these attempt to be simcade but the default setting are totally off, the cars feel featherweight and the AI is very bash-you aggressive. Supposedly there's a good game in there once you tweak it enough. I can't recommend the Shift games.

I've played Undercover. Is not a bad game, but not game to die for also. According to reviews and some videos, I would stick to Hot Pursuit.

I'm leaning towards buying TDU2 instead of NFS HP, because I'm already playing NFS Most Wanted, and TDU2 looks like a different kind of driving game comparing to all I already have
TDU2 is very different. NFP:HP is great, but it is rather similar to MW.

Need for Speed Shift?

Shift 2?

I would also say HP. Not a bad game at all and doesn't take itself too seriously. Although, truth be told, I liked Most Wanted even better simply because I like that I can just drive and drive without breaks between "levels". I just wish the cops on MW didn't have top of the line radars in every vehicle. Hiding is impossible. You just need to outrace them.

Half an hour before the Nuuvem price on Wolfenstein ($15) flips. To buy or not to buy...

Edit: Welp, never mind, Nuuvem won't let me buy it because it's not for my region. Wow.
People talk of using Hola to add to cart, then un-hola-ing and signing in and checking out. Only do this if you're confident of the region situation. I haven't had to do this yet.

I think Hot Pursuit was probably the best done, and closest to a true racing game. True, you can't really customize your cars that much but if you're looking for some good old arcade racing action look no further.

Undercover is good too, if a bit dated. It's pretty easy compared to most other racing games I've played (on default difficulty). I believe you get to free-roam around the city, but the map wasn't too big or too small. I think my only annoyance with the game was that it wouldn't save my graphical settings, it would reset to default (which is pretty low) every time I close the game and so I would have to re-tune it at the start of every session.

TDU2 is not really a racing game, at it's core. It's more of a driving game. It's probably the closest I've played to a driving MMO. More emphasis is on collecting cars, clothes for your avatar, houses, etc. The races aren't really that hard until you get to some of the later license levels, they're just kind of there so you have something to do to win money to buy cars, houses, etc. I probably had just as much fun mindlessly driving around the two maps (which are freakin' huge, especially Oahu) as I did with the races. There's also cool little shit you can do at your leisure, like finding the 20 wrecked cars around the island to unlock a special car, there's little "missions" where you either drive a person from A to B in a certain time limit, or you drive at a certain speed for a certain amount of time (75mph for 2 minutes) and other stuff that kind of changes shit up every once in a while so you don't get bored. Honestly I'd recommend this because even though it's not the best "racing" game, it's still a very good game nonetheless.

I would also say HP. Not a bad game at all and doesn't take itself too seriously. Although, truth be told, I liked Most Wanted even better simply because I like that I can just drive and drive without breaks between "levels". I just wish the cops on MW didn't have top of the line radars in every vehicle. Hiding is impossible. You just need to outrace them.
MW has some performance issues. Also the map in MW is rather small. MW also lacks a sense of SP-progression due to it's unusual unlock system.

People talk of using Hola to add to cart, then un-hola-ing and signing in and checking out. Only do this if you're confident of the region situation. I haven't had to do this yet.
I tried it, but the site is unusable for me if Hola is turned on (lots of time outs due to slowness.)

Eh, screw it. I'll wait until the next deal, but I'm still grabbing Revengeance when the price flips.

Not really topical, since the Steam sale has been lackluster... but it did make me LoL.  :rofl:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yr2GdRBDOmU

MW has some performance issues. Also the map in MW is rather small. MW also lacks a sense of SP-progression due to it's unusual unlock system.
I hear people talk about the performance issues but I never really experienced any. And the map IS small but I never used it during races because the game puts those large checkpoint markers way above the road so you know where you have to turn without looking at the map.

I can see how the progression can turn some people off. For me it was just a matter of unlocking as much stuff for as many cars as possible and enjoying the driving...mostly once the top ten most wanted are brought down.

TDU2 servers were up on the 22nd... so I don't think they're dead... just taking a break for the holidays.   ...or maybe their fleshy servants are.

Why hasn't anyone talked about the DrSasquatch situation?

yeti.jpg
What situation? I just have to eat all the gems and I will hurt anyone who gets in my way or near me.

Pretty pissed he's just eating those gems when i could be using them to craft boosters.
Are you holding out on some gems? Let me at those gems! I need to eat your gems! GEMS GEMS GEMS GEMS MRAOWAORAWORORAWORWOAROAWROWRO

I don't see how any of these $1 android apps are worth $10 on the PC.

plague inc especially pissed me off, because the android game uses in-game purchases to unlock ...and it took me several days of emails to the company to get an unlocked game after paying for it.

Edit: I should add, that I really enjoyed the game after I got it running. Lots of fun. Not something I would play at a desktop though.
I have it on both, and I far prefer it on the PC. The graphics are better and the controls are better and my huge paw isn't always getting in the way!

You got any extra gems? I want to eat some gems! GEMS GEMS GEMS

Not really topical, since the Steam sale has been lackluster... but it did make me LoL. :rofl:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yr2GdRBDOmU
Older video and, sadly, it really doesn't hold relevance anymore since we never see those massive discounts... unless they're on bundle fodder everyone got five years ago.

Oh and one other thing, I've been playing a decent amount of ETS2 recently and it kind of reminds me of TDU2, in that they both have you driving around a open world enviroment and you have a lot of freedom on where you go and what you do. Compared to MW (with the excessive lens glare and motion blur and those annoying as fuck crashcams) thesr two games were a lot more... I dunno, calm? Which is kind of nice when you just wanna zone out and drive around for the sake of driving around.

I've been playing Castle of Illusion. Is a good game... BUT... you can't skip cinematics, and believe me, you'll get tired of it, even the menu has an animation you'll have to see everytime you go to it, so even exiting the game is really slow. I also don't like the 3D platform sections, but maybe I'm just too bad at it.

I loved the original game (Sega Genesis/MegaDrive) and I like this one too. But those two things can get me really mad sometimes.

I've been playing Castle of Illusion. Is a good game... BUT... you can't skip cinematics, and believe me, you'll get tired of it, even the menu has an animation you'll have to see everytime you go to it, so even exiting the game is really slow. I also don't like the 3D platform sections, but maybe I'm just too bad at it.

I loved the original game (Sega Genesis/MegaDrive) and I like this one too. But those two things can get me really mad sometimes.
Wow, a lot of you seem to own this. Did I miss some huge glitch or was it the $3.75 sale from Humble store?

MERRY CHRISTMAS GAMERS​
Here's our present for you! To say thank you for being a loyal subscriber, we've got a FREE copy of Penguins Arena: Sedna's World for some Christmas fun! No strings attached, just a gift from the Bundle Stars team to you:​
CG7F6-M6AVI-ILVTY​

Wow. Thank you Bundlestars.
I got one as well.

+1 to Steam count.

Wo0t!

5 activations. If that worries you buy it from Amazon (due to their policy).

I'm more worried about how long time online-play servers will hang around. Playing online adds a nice touch.

I've never played the software versions, but I'll second the board game is quite good.
I haven't looked into this, since I ain't played TDU2 in a while and since I ain't needed to re-activate it...

...but does the Unofficial Patch/Mod surpass the Securom DRM if you just try to boot it straight-up into offline mode?

Or do you have to activate the game first before the mod will work?

Atari really should remove the Securom DRM from the game - especially on the Steam-version.

EDIT:

Does that still apply in the post Tony days? Without a point of contact to escalate to if necessary I tend to think it may be YMMV depending on which Indian drone you get like CS everywhere else, but I haven't tested it. Amazon does tend to throw store credit at you if you sneeze though so I guess there's that,

Agreed on the multiplayer service of an EA game being at risk for shut down long term.

Still, leaving that ancient DRM in without any alternative digitally is just lazy. Even Origin DRM would be preferable and it's not like there's a reason to leave DRM in those old ass been cheap a ton of times games.

Maybe they'll release it on GOG at some point. *shrug*
Oh, I'd love to see TDU2 on GOG. :D

I've got many hours logged on TDU2. Very fun game. I need to jump back on so I can keep the BGCQ club active.

NFS: HP is easily the best of those. Undercover was competent but totally unchallenging for me. Shift, I've only played #1... these attempt to be simcade but the default setting are totally off, the cars feel featherweight and the AI is very bash-you aggressive. Supposedly there's a good game in there once you tweak it enough. I can't recommend the Shift games.
Hot Pursuit it is, and maybe Undercover if I feel like spending $2 more.

So has anyone played The Secret World? I like conspiracy shit, and liked the concept of The Matrix Online, if not its execution. Never considered it at full price, though, and then forgot it existed.

I've also been hearing a strange amount of chatter about TSW, considering every time my first thought is "that isn't dead yet?"

Just wondering if it's worth 10 bux to mess around with.
Yep. Played it back when it was in Beta (NO NDA's - right before game's original launch), missed it when it was $5.25 on GMG, and then eventually bought it from someone (for $5.25). IMHO - I think the game's came a long way, since I first Beta tested it.

Anyways - the game's really good. Despite it being a MMO and an online-only game - I spent most of my time running around, doing things on my own. You will likely run into other players - likely also soloing and running around, doing their own thing. A lot of times - you'll be battling enemies....and maybe some players on same quest as you, maybe some players are just in the area nearby, or whatever - and others will help you out.

What the game excels at is the typical things you'd see in a Ragnar Tornquist game (i.e. the guy behind The Longest Journey, Dreamfall, and Dreamfall Chapters). The game-world, environment, setting, characters, story-telling, dialogue, and voice-acting are all excellent. If you're playing for this stuff - enjoy...b/c you've certainly come to the right place! This stuff is fantastic.

Mission types vary quite a bit, which is a good thing. There are some typical MMO's stuff - find X areas, find X people, kill X enemies, kill X enemies in a certain way; things of that sort. There are also stealth-like missions. There are some puzzle-like missions, which feels plucked right out of a "pure" adventure game.

The game has an open class system. Do not expect being a thief, rogue, or whatever. You select what skills you want to learn, as you go along - gaining experience + gaining skill points. Me, I had a gun-toting/magic-using combo of a character going, when I was actually playing the heck out of this game.

If you focus on weapons that are guns or magic - make sure you put your Toggle Combat Mode key nearby to somewhere you'll hit a lot on the fly while playing. This switches b/t an unlocked cursors w/ a locked cam; and b/t a locked cursor with a mouselook like a FPS/TPS. You have, by default, a WOW style of attacking - the cam is locked + point to enemy w/ your floating cursor; and it attacks when you press the hotkey. If you like WOW style of combat - you'll be fine. This isn't good for combat if you don't like WOW style of combat, IMHO - I prefer this style of a locked camera but a floating cursor for looking and interaction w/ objects and people.

I don't find that WOW style of combat fun for gun-slinging + magic-shooting. I prefer aiming w/ Mouselook, like a TPS and FPS - especially since I do play tons of those. If you prefer mouselook and aiming - make sure you switch to the Combat Mode on the fly, once you're about to get into a combat situation.

Also, left-mouse does NOT shoot, fire or attack. By default - it interacts. So, prepare to put your hot-keys somewhere for any sort of attacks other than left-mouse. Put it somewhere you'll likely use A LOT + easy to access.

That should say plenty. I really like the game. I haven't played in a while - and, I really should, when I get the chance and should make time for it.

Hot Pursuit it is, and maybe Undercover if I feel like spending $2 more.
Good discussion everyone. I like HP for what it is, but it still irks me that the best NFS games have never been released in digital form. I'm sure I'm not the only one that would splurge if either of the Undergrounds ever saw the digital light of day.

Some of these 'stalwarts' need to be taken out of the rotation like Meat Boy, Just Cause 2, Garry's Mod, etc. Just make them their feature discount the entire sale. I doubt they find many people to bite on those titles at less than 75% off, anyway. Also they need to get rid of the featured discounts that only boost it by 10% or less. 25 to 33% is pointless -- just keep it 33% the entire sale. Of course, I'm sure their way makes the most money but it sucks for savvy consumers.
They need to either be taken out unless they're keeping them in for legitamate discounts that haven't been seen before, like how Meat Boy was 95% off. If they're gonna make Just Cause 2 or Garry's Mod 90% off or something I'm fine with it, but stop whipping out the same games over and over again for the same prices. How many times do GTAIV, Just Cause 2, Garry's Mod, Terraria, etc really need to come front and center? At least alternate between other older titles. Of course. Garry's Mod is somehow the 9th best seller right now, so what do I know.

That is typically for people out side of North America. If it's locked within NA, I'd be very wary.

If you want to actually be GOOD at the game...don't play like MysterD

and by good I mean progress more then the stupid quests. You will need to play in groups..it is an MMO

combat targeting is for console rejects..
I just play for the quests because I hate people and I use combat targeting because I'm a Hidden Object reject.

That is typically for people out side of North America. If it's locked within NA, I'd be very wary.
Or it could just be Bethesda being assholes. The game isn't region locked anywhere except for Germany / Israel / Japan.

And... *sighs* Metal Gear Revengenance didn't get a daily discount at Nuuvem for some reason. The discount didn't go into effect. Guess they fell asleep. :(

Anyone here interested in buying the Payday 2 : Clover Character Pack ? I misbought :(

For like $3 Paypal or 2 TF2 Keys

Grrrrrrrr!

I was really hoping Metal Gear Rising would get that discount over on Nuuvem!
That's the thing, none of the spotlight games have a bigger discount. Hell Spintires and Hitman Absolution are still at full price. I think this is just a mistake, so it should be corrected by tomorrow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back