Steam Deals Thread V13 ~ Star Wars Empire at War $6.80 | The Legend of Korra $10.04 | Red Faction Guerrilla $2.99 |

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrNinjaSquirrel

CAGiversary!
Feedback
25 (100%)
Summer sale has come and gone; welcome to the Steam Deals Thread V13!

Stop: Before you go any further be sure you are using Enhanced Steam. It will save you a lot of time and embarrassment in the future.

Daily Deal
Star Wars: Empire at War Gold Edition - $19.99 $6.80

Yesterday's Deal

N/A

Midweek Madness
The Legend of Korra - $14.99 $10.04

Red Faction - $9.99 $1.49
Red Faction II - $9.99 $1.49
Red Faction Armageddon - $19.99 $2.99
Red Faction Guerrilla - $19.99 $2.99 

Thanks to EastX, Detruire, Psydero, and everyone else that has contributed to the thread!

Last edited by a moderator:
Did someone say haul posts?

I thought this sale wasn't at all bad.  It had more than enough for me to buy--I passed up tempting items at 75% off or better as I had already spent enough.  Also, as I've previously stated, I liked the extended flash and vote sales.  My schedule over the holidays is such that I can't always get to Steam, and in the past I would miss deals due to that.  This year I had enough time to grab everything I wanted.

I'll skip bundles, because bundles are an always thing, not a holiday thing.  Though Indiegala got me every time with their price cuts.

Non-steam purchases:
The Curced Crusade
School Bus Fun
The LEGO Movie Videogame
Mensa Academy

Steam purchases:
Omerta Gold
Defense Grid Containment DLC (for me)
Defense Grid Complete DLC (for my wife)
Euro Truck Simulator 2 - Going East!
How to Survive - Storm Warning Edition
Endless Space - Emperor Special Edition (stacked 50% off coupon)
Endless Space - Disharmony (stacked 50% off coupon)
Need For Speed: Hot Pursuit
Far Cry Franchise Pack (already had 2 on Amazon, but not on Steam)
Ghostbusters: The Videogame
Brothers - A Tale of Two Sons (this is so going to be bundled)
Ridge Racer Unbounded Bundle
Happy Hereafter

Probably a bit more than I've grabbed in most of the big sales, really.  (Outside of when Amazon was kicking ass.)  I'll admit that many of my grabs may already have been owned by some other CAGs and wouldn't have seemed so great if I hadn't missed them or skipped them in previous sales.

LEGO Movie and Euro Truck Going East have already been played.  In comparison, the only things I've touched from my summer sale purchases are the two games from the Can't Stop Laughing Bundle.

You're not even gonna ask him how he knows where you live?
EE2.jpg

I was looking at the games in the Weekly Humble to see if it was worth upgrading to BTA when I wandered over to the Eidolon forum and found a post that was just completely mindboggling.

Basically a guy said he would like gamepad support - which is fine. It's the reply he got from someone else that... just read for yourself. I just had to answer.

Screenshot for posterity below.

0CYZNa9.jpg

Is there some kind of conspiracy going on w/ digital retailers + the publishers?

Humble Bundles, Steam X-Mas Sales, Gamersgate, and numerous sales of late have been....pretty lame.
I've felt like this as a newbie coming in at the beginning of 2014, when seeing the great Steam sales of years past.

Not that anybody asked, but aside from the good reasons already listed, I think it's just that the Steam market isn't exploding like it once was. What I mean by that is is there isn't this great influx of new users anymore and going digital-only isn't as "risky" or unheard of as it used to be.

Back when Steam was smaller (and a relatively newer concept), the way you brought in more users/word-of-mouth was with these massive sales. Sales so low that even the most ardent physical game lover would be tempted to try a digital-only experience. (see: MysterD)

Now that Steam's gone somewhat mainstream (word-of-mouth no longer being an issue), and digital-only is more widely accepted, there's less people out there to "convert" (new users to bring in) and so between that and the ridiculous market-share Steam has in the digital-only PC market (which will only get worse due to the increasing number of games exclusively using Steamworks DRM), there's less incentive to have those jaw-dropping deals and everybody knows it.

Our only hope at this point are the various storefronts that compete with each other (despite all distributing the same thing, Steam keys, which means competition is already inherently limited), Origin/Uplay (haha) and bundles. So pretty much the way it's been this past year.

Tl;dr Steam is resting on its laurels and it's up to everyone else to compete with them.

Edit: I'll throw in there that I think that the disappointing retailer sales this Christmas are related to Steam's issues (because what's being sold elsewhere is still Steam keys), like a ripple effect as these individual sites gain in their own popularity. But mainly I'd blame publishers seeing how much money they can make directly on Steam, putting a tighter leash on competing sites.

I was looking at the games in the Weekly Humble to see if it was worth upgrading to BTA when I wandered over to the Eidolon forum and found a post that was just completely mindboggling.

Basically a guy said he would like gamepad support - which is fine. It's the reply he got from someone else that... just read for yourself. I just had to answer.
Smile and nod at the crazy man.

Screenshot for posterity below.

0CYZNa9.jpg
While I do prefer KB-mouse for FPS's and TPS's - I think it's quite silly to attack someone b/c they prefer to use a gamepad for a shooter. Last time I checked - Halo was the game in which Bungie figured out how to make shooters work w/ gamepads. Since then - plenty of shooters got console-releases.

If the dude wants to use a gamepad so bad and dev's won't officially support it - he could just use a 3rd party gamepad-program like Pinnacle Game Profiler or XPadder.

While I do prefer KB-mouse for FPS's and TPS's - I think it's quite silly to attack someone b/c they prefer to use a gamepad for a shooter. Last time I checked - Halo was the game in which Bungie figured out how to make shooters work w/ gamepads. Since then - plenty of shooters got console-releases.

If the dude wants to use a gamepad so bad and dev's won't officially support it - he could just use a 3rd party gamepad-program like Pinnacle Game Profiler or XPadder.
Yes well, the point of that was to highlight the crazy fucker, not the guy asking for gamepad support. :)

It's good to see you around again. Didja notice the Trackmania 2 Stadium on the 17th? (just install the demo version of TM2S.)
Thanks, I've been lurking on and off since Black Friday. And I did, I even embarrassed myself on the Steam group thread.

I actually would have played Divekick but I lost the giveaway. Them's the breaks.

How is everyone?

Edit: So someone in the group chat mentioned how they were tired of people complaining about the Steam sale being bad, and I guess I should clarify that I don't think the sale is "bad" overall, but bad in comparison to years' past because:

A) Same historical discounts (or worse) for the same old games (I caught myself actually being excited about a daily deal for 80% off on some rather old EA titles simply because it's always been 75% off max)

B) Small discounts for "newer" games.

Is pretty much everyone in agreement on that?

Tl;dr Steam is resting on its laurels and it's up to everyone else to compete with them.
The problem is they've all had a decade or more to do that, at least the last half of which the writing was on the wall this is the way the PC market was going and these are the features that customers have now become accustomed to expecting, but no one has been even moderately successful at it except for EA. And that's only because they're the 800 pound gorilla and they took their toys and left the sandbox.

Part of it is it's hard to get people to move when they're already entrenched at one place. But if the service and features were there and there were enough reasons I think it might slowly start to happen. But it hasn't because all their competitors are short sighted or lazy or incompetent or just give up and focus on Steam keys or sell their business to someone else.

There's also the fact that if there gets to be too many cooks it's not good for the consumer. You get these sites trying to push alternate clients like Playfire but who wants it? No one. Nobody wants to have 20 different clients installed on their hard drive.

What would be better would be some sort of neutral universal portable form of ownership that can migrate between sites like Ultraviolet. But that means all the players in the game industry need to get the hell over themselves and work together to some degree.

Either that or they all need to just look at Valve and Steam as the infrastructor that handles the networking, collecting, distributing, updating, social features etc. and consider that a cost of doing business just like overhead is for physical goods or dealing with Microsoft and Sony is for consoles, which is more or less what is happening anyway.

I think that we've gotten spoiled by being somewhat early adopters and getting all those deals that helped get people in the digital door. It's clear they don't need them as much now, obviously since Valve had the most users online ever just the other day during the lackluster (to us) sale.

At this point we've pretty much got to accept that the absolutely insane deals are going to be limited to indie games in bundles (many of which are quite frankly of questionable quality) and older games. I know that sucks for the whole game collector meta game, but people who buy and own that extreme many games that some of us do are honestly a pretty small niche of the Steam audience.

Anyway buying less games at somewhat higher prices is not necessarily a bad thing if we can re-train ourselves to be more selective and buy things we're actually interested and will play relatively soon. Buying a game at $60 that you get 100 or 50 or even 30 hours hour of is better than buying 100 games for $1 that you get 0 hours out of.

We all joke about it but I think for a number of us here re-examing and adjusting our buying habits really would be a good thing.

Anyway buying less games at somewhat higher prices is not necessarily a bad thing if we can re-train ourselves to be more selective and buy things we're actually interested and will play relatively soon. Buying a game at $60 that you get 100 or 50 or even 30 hours hour of is better than buying 100 games for $1 that you get 0 hours out of.
Meh, I already do both. I pay crap prices for the games I have low to moderate interest in, and games I have high interest in I'll buy at higher prices. For example, paid 60 to get Dark Souls 2. While I enjoy the deal hunting and "collecting" games, the driving force behind it is because playing video games is my hobby of choice.

Also, in terms of competitors....I think GOG's Galaxy client could be a dark horse, contingent, obviously, on how the client works. GOG is already pretty well liked because of omgosh DRM free, in addition to the detail they spend fixing up old games, etc. They have unique sales ideas (insomnia sale, etc). If they can continue expanding their library to include a higher variety of modern games they could make a push, I think.

I don't really consider them a competitor because they fill a different niche, in spite of trying to position themselves as a Steam competitor lately.

For one thing the big publishers aren't going to get rid of DRM. It's just not going to happen. They can push indies but bundles are so huge for those at this point, particularly Humble.

GOG to me is good at PR marketing spin and trying to position themselves as some big superhero savior of gamers and all that, and particularly seems to be effective with the Euro crowd, or at least some of the very vocal ones who constantly complain about Steam and DRM.

I don't see them ever overtaking Steam but they could essentially replace Desura on the indie front, especially if they hand out more bundle keys.

I think that we've gotten spoiled by being somewhat early adopters and getting all those deals that helped get people in the digital door. It's clear they don't need them as much now, obviously since Valve had the most users online ever just the other day during the lackluster (to us) sale.
This is pretty much my point summed up way more concisely. Well said. I agree with the rest of your post too.

Good post, agreed.

Nice to see you in the thread again bobbert.
Thanks, good to be back for right now.

To use a food analogy, I like the idea of GOG being the kind of "organic" competitor, but I don't think it'll ever make that much of a dent in Steam, which is basically the supermarket chain.

I don't think it'll replace Desura, mainly because Desura has way too much indie crap (as in bad games made by indies, see: Glowball) and I'd prefer it be quarantined there (it's gotta be contained somewhere besides Greenlight). GOG as Desura with Quality Control would be cool though.

Looks like Killing Floor base-game, its numerous DLC's, Bundles, Packs are 75% off today.
Finally, again. They haven't done that in a long while, including just this last sale. And just your single mention of it here, and nothing on the Community Hub. Whatta bunch of ungrateful bastards we are. Time to finally pick up those last two community weapons packs.

Meh, I already do both. I pay crap prices for the games I have low to moderate interest in, and games I have high interest in I'll buy at higher prices. For example, paid 60 to get Dark Souls 2. While I enjoy the deal hunting and "collecting" games, the driving force behind it is because playing video games is my hobby of choice.

Also, in terms of competitors....I think GOG's Galaxy client could be a dark horse, contingent, obviously, on how the client works. GOG is already pretty well liked because of omgosh DRM free, in addition to the detail they spend fixing up old games, etc. They have unique sales ideas (insomnia sale, etc). If they can continue expanding their library to include a higher variety of modern games they could make a push, I think.
GOG Galaxy could be a dark horse, if they actually have prices that actually try to compete + surpass what Steam & the others dish out. And often - they (GOG) do not compete w/ the others - so, that can cause people to overlook GOG. Steam's been around much longer and has a bigger fan-base - so, that can cause people to overlook GOG. So, if it's GOG's turn to do heavy discounts and Galaxy client is actually worthwhile - maybe they'll have their turn for a bit.

But right now, it looks like it's Nuvvum's turn, for now - and they mostly sell Steam games. ;)

Only reason many times to go w/ GOG is b/c they (sometimes) have games nobody else has [especially on older titles]; their old titles likely will work on modern-rigs; they might have some nice extra goodies in their version (soundtracks and other things); and of course the whole DRM-FREE thing (if you care about avoiding DRM).

GOG Galaxy could be a dark horse, if they actually have prices that actually try to compete + surpass what Steam & the others dish out. And often - they (GOG) do not compete w/ the others - so, that can cause people to overlook GOG. Steam's been around much longer and has a bigger fan-base - so, that can cause people to overlook GOG. So, if it's GOG's turn to do heavy discounts and Galaxy client is actually worthwhile - maybe they'll have their turn for a bit.

But right now, it looks like it's Nuvvum's turn, for now - and they mostly sell Steam games. ;)

Only reason many times to go w/ GOG is b/c they (sometimes) have games nobody else has [especially on older titles]; their old titles likely will work on modern-rigs; they might have some nice extra goodies in their version (soundtracks and other things); and of course the whole DRM-FREE thing (if you care about avoiding DRM).
Any client has a huge hole to dig out of compared to Steam. People have subconscious loyalty to brand. Combine this w/the desire to keep all your games in one place (which is why people prefer Steam keys around here to drm free), and another client would have to offer substantial discounts that are preferable to Steam's on a consistent basis for awhile before any userbase started to switch over. Honestly, Nuuvem's irrelevant. I doubt the vast majority of people have ever heard of that site, and if it gets popular we'll see tighter region locking.

Desura has way too much indie crap (as in bad games made by indies, see: Glowball) and I'd prefer it be quarantined there (it's gotta be contained somewhere besides Greenlight).
If Greenlight is containing sludge of the indie scene (from being released on Steam), at this point they are doing a horrible job of it.

While this isn't something I'm buying, just wanted give a heads up that Steam seems to be discounting the Witcher 3: Wild Hunt pre-orders by 20%  ($47.99 in the U.S.) at the second.

This is pretty much my point summed up way more concisely. Well said. I agree with the rest of your post too.

Thanks, good to be back for right now.

To use a food analogy, I like the idea of GOG being the kind of "organic" competitor, but I don't think it'll ever make that much of a dent in Steam, which is basically the supermarket chain.

I don't think it'll replace Desura, mainly because Desura has way too much indie crap (as in bad games made by indies, see: Glowball) and I'd prefer it be quarantined there (it's gotta be contained somewhere besides Greenlight). GOG as Desura with Quality Control would be cool though.
I agree completely. Even though I have tons of Desura keys I never buy anything there mainly due to having to wade through all the crap that is on it. I sorta do like that it's a place for just about any developer to be able to release their game on, but on the other hand I don't actually want to have to wade through all the garbage on there to get to the good stuff that isn't yet available elsewhere. I hope it sticks around for the developers but I'll probably never end up using it.

I agree with you about GOG as Desura with QC. If they can get there I think that would be very interesting. I'd still prefer to own all my games in one place (Steam) but if they could become a haven for GOOD indies that are having trouble getting on Steam I'd be interested at least.

While this isn't something I'm buying, just wanted give a heads up that Steam seems to be discounting the Witcher 3: Wild Hunt pre-orders by 20% ($47.99 in the U.S.) at the second.
That's the loyalty discount. It's been that way since they added the pre-order and it doesn't expire. You probably just bought the other two games on Steam recently if you are just noticing it now.

I sorta do like that it's a place for just about any developer to be able to release their game on, but on the other hand I don't actually want to have to wade through all the garbage on there to get to the good stuff
That's how I feel about Steam honestly. I previously supported the idea of anybody being able to release their game on Steam without barriers but now that it's (mostly) here it kind of sucks and I hate having to sift through so much junk or feeling like maybe I'm missing some good stuff.

for GOOD indies that are having trouble getting on Steam I'd be interested at least.
I don't even think that's a thing anymore.

Meh I play everything (I can) with a game pad. fuck snobs.
Same. Even FPS. The only time I forego it is if I play multiplayer or games that are basically required KB+M like strategy games and stuff like that. Id much rather lean back and play it with a controller than a KB+M every single time.

It boggles my fucking mind how some people feel the need to chime in and tell others how to play a game or why their way is superior. I don't care. I want to enjoy my games the way I want to enjoy them.

@Motoki: Yeah, I did.

All right; disposing of the last of my extra Steam/bundle keys:

Cobi Treasure Deluxe
VQXR0-5XDL0-FRCBH

Numba Deluxe
FM8BQ-737A9-BHEGZ

Canyon Capers:

PK4I3-W8NKJ-6CEPQ
DND7K-XKV3V-FG5RZ

And some DLC for the Hacker series (Steam):

(Hacker Evolution Duality) Hardcore Package Part 2 DLC     3E7CP-KBGAK-2KBDG     
(Hacker Evolution Duality) Hardcore Package Part 1 DLC     RE3NI-PYWRH-PTP4E     
(Hacker Evolution Duality) Hardcore Music Pack DL     CLMVJ-9TJK5-I4LLL     
(Hacker Evolution Duality) Hacker Bootcamp DLC        PWLLQ-IDW5W-FJANL

(Hacker Evolution Duality) Inception Part 3 DLC           IDMXZ-VR2YH-X4JTM     
(Hacker Evolution Duality) Inception Part 2 DLC           GQLP8-7BBTR-TWEX9     
(Hacker Evolution Duality) Inception Part 1 DLC           IW662-FD3WG-KJICF     

(Hacker Evolution) Hardcore Package Part 2 DLC        DVICQ-6ZLKL-RTWIP    
(Hacker Evolution) Hardcore Package Part 1 DLC        JCEI7-6YAZR-4PJ6M     
(Hacker Evolution) Hardcore Music Pack DLC               KVZA5-02HNE-LNJKD    

Cobi Treasure Deluxe
VQXR0-5XDL0-FRCBH

Numba Deluxe
FM8BQ-737A9-BHEGZ

Canyon Capers:

PK4I3-W8NKJ-6CEPQ
DND7K-XKV3V-FG5RZ

(Hacker Evolution Duality) Hardcore Package Part 2 DLC 3E7CP-KBGAK-2KBDG
(Hacker Evolution Duality) Hardcore Package Part 1 DLC RE3NI-PYWRH-PTP4E
(Hacker Evolution Duality) Hardcore Music Pack DL CLMVJ-9TJK5-I4LLL
(Hacker Evolution Duality) Hacker Bootcamp DLC PWLLQ-IDW5W-FJANL

(Hacker Evolution Duality) Inception Part 3 DLC IDMXZ-VR2YH-X4JTM
(Hacker Evolution Duality) Inception Part 2 DLC GQLP8-7BBTR-TWEX9
(Hacker Evolution Duality) Inception Part 1 DLC IW662-FD3WG-KJICF

(Hacker Evolution) Hardcore Package Part 2 DLC DVICQ-6ZLKL-RTWIP
(Hacker Evolution) Hardcore Package Part 1 DLC JCEI7-6YAZR-4PJ6M
(Hacker Evolution) Hardcore Music Pack DLC KVZA5-02HNE-LNJKD
Thanks. Snagged Numba Deluxe.

Nice. Pity I missed these two that I'm missing. :whistle2:(

Cobi Treasure Deluxe
VQXR0-5XDL0-FRCBH

Numba Deluxe
FM8BQ-737A9-BHEGZ

Canyon Capers:

PK4I3-W8NKJ-6CEPQ
DND7K-XKV3V-FG5RZ

(Hacker Evolution Duality) Hardcore Package Part 1 DLC RE3NI-PYWRH-PTP4E
(Hacker Evolution Duality) Hardcore Music Pack DL CLMVJ-9TJK5-I4LLL

(Hacker Evolution Duality) Inception Part 3 DLC IDMXZ-VR2YH-X4JTM
(Hacker Evolution Duality) Inception Part 2 DLC GQLP8-7BBTR-TWEX9
(Hacker Evolution Duality) Inception Part 1 DLC IW662-FD3WG-KJICF

(Hacker Evolution) Hardcore Package Part 2 DLC DVICQ-6ZLKL-RTWIP
(Hacker Evolution) Hardcore Package Part 1 DLC JCEI7-6YAZR-4PJ6M
(Hacker Evolution) Hardcore Music Pack DLC KVZA5-02HNE-LNJKD
Thanks for the key giveaway by the way. I got Cobi Treasure Deluxe & The first Canyon Capers key.

There's also the fact that if there gets to be too many cooks it's not good for the consumer. You get these sites trying to push alternate clients like Playfire but who wants it? No one. Nobody wants to have 20 different clients installed on their hard drive.

What would be better would be some sort of neutral universal portable form of ownership that can migrate between sites like Ultraviolet. But that means all the players in the game industry need to get the hell over themselves and work together to some degree.
Indeed, and I know I'm not the only one who has, for instance, skipped over a great deal on GoG because I'd prefer it on Steam (but low and behind, something that was, I'm pretty sure, $2.50 on GoG was $10 on Steam over the sale). It's kinda silly that you buy a PC game but "oops you can only play your PC game that works on PC in THIS way". It's bad enough there's consoles as a thing (so a game like DD Neon I bought on PS3 I'd have to rebuy or pirate to play on PC) -- it was one thing in the old days when different versions of the same game were notably different (even if just in graphics quality) but these days everything is almost exactly the same.

Can there ever be too many cooks?

You know some shit's jumped the shark when old people start doing it.

And I think we all know at least one of those food selfie types.

NO! Don't eat yet! I need to take a picture first.
I'm absolutely gonna bombard you with instagrammed pictures of my breakfast/lunch/tea on Twitter.

You love it.

Who's going to be brave and start a new thread? The thread title and OP are so outdated. MNS why have you forsaken us?

[quote name="sweeetja713" post="12386177" timestamp="1420456656"]Yeah but it kept most of the seasonals out for the winter sale.[/quote]
I propose to not change threads until there's a good Steam sale...or until MNS returns.

Finally, again. They haven't done that in a long while, including just this last sale. And just your single mention of it here, and nothing on the Community Hub. Whatta bunch of ungrateful bastards we are. Time to finally pick up those last two community weapons packs.
That's what I'm doing too, though Tripwire are rat bastards for this. Evil stinking rat bastards. NOW GIVE ME KILLING FLOOR 2 YOU RAT BASTARDS!

That's what I'm doing too, though Tripwire are rat bastards for this. Evil stinking rat bastards. NOW GIVE ME KILLING FLOOR 2 YOU RAT BASTARDS!
http://www.pcgamesn.com/killing-floor-2/killing-floor-2-aims-to-be-the-bloodiest-shooter-of-2015

Taken from the article:

"Killing Floor 2 will launch in Early Access later this year. The first build will offer a limited set of perks and maps which Tripwire will expand on until the game reaches 1.0. “The key we are looking for with Early Access is to get the balance nailed out right,” Wilson says. “The game is so complex now - think of a 6-player match, choosing from 10 Perks, each with 25 Levels and 10 Skills, using one of 40+ weapons, fighting all those Zeds and Bosses."

They're using UE3? I mean I get that they used UE2 last time but still, I'm surprised. Do you think it's the costs or lack of experience with the new engine?
They are using UE 3.5. I'll have to look for their answers for this question, but I remembered they said using UE4 would have delayed the game a lot. Probably costs and lack of experience with the new engine as you said.

Welcome back my Bobbert.

Edit:

http://steamcommunity.com/app/232090/discussions/0/558755529773517935/

------
Why not UE 4?

When we started work on KF, UE 4 was not an option and switching at this point would likely add an additional 2 years to the project (and un-needed cost).

Is there a cheaper way to get the Killing Floor DLC other than the complete pack that contains the base game? I don't see an inclusive DLC bundle.

Thanks!

Thanks for the info, Tomas.  I don't mind them using 3.  Some of the games using 4 have looked like crap so I'd rather have a well made game on 3 than a rougher game on 4 just because it's the newest thing.  

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back