Steam Weekend Deal- Braid $4.99 (PC)

[quote name='Jodou']NICE. Definitely biting on this one, since I knew it was only a matter of time.[/QUOTE]
is that a pun? lol

Does it support any game controller that Windows recognizes or only the 360's?

EDIT: nvm, according to some quick searching, only the 360 is "officially" supported but Jonathan Blow mentioned that it can simply be played using buttons remapped to keyboard keys. Annoying but not a dealbreaker. I'll probably bite on this then.

Last edited by a moderator:
Amazing price for an amazing game. If you didn't get this in either of those indie packs that were on sale a few weeks ago, it's absolutely worth getting now.

[quote name='EliotAndrews']
No more, though, I can assure you; I bought it for the full $15 on XBLA when it was new.[/QUOTE]

Meh, it entertained me and my friend for a good 6 hours. Not great bang for buck, but if you're bored, $15 for 6 hours entertainment isn't bad. I understand the desire to be cheap, but I don't understand the desire for some CAGs to horde a bunch of low quality games when they could just shell out more money for a single higher quality experience. Time is money! That is all, rant over.

Just bought it. I had played the demo on xbox live and wanted to purchase it. I did not want to buy all of the games in the indie pack and was hoping this would be included in the upcoming d2d $5 deals, but this is even better.

Is there any way to have this extend to the mac version? Does it come with a key or something I could use?

[quote name='Vegan']Sweet, and it supports a 360 controller. I can't imagine doing a platformer with a keyboard.[/QUOTE]
Well then you're not very imaginative.

[quote name='Sonic9jct']Is there any way to have this extend to the mac version? Does it come with a key or something I could use?[/QUOTE]

Don't think this is one of those games that comes with a CD Key unfortunately. Think you have to have the Steam client running to play this game.

Had been interested in this game but thought the price was too steep, have been waiting for it to go on sale sometime. Bought it!

In my opinion, $5 seems about right for any downloadable game of this size ($10-$15 being the max). For $5, I'm totally on this.

[quote name='Nelo Ice']thinkin bout double dipping but waiting to see if anything has come out from the level editor[/QUOTE]

http://braid-mods.com/ has a forum with some mods and a wiki to get started on making your own. I haven't tried any of these so can't vouch for the quality but people certainly have been working on stuff for it.

[quote name='Clarke']Well then you're not very imaginative.[/QUOTE]

Fine, allow me to rephrase it: I can imagine it sucking a lot.

awesome game definitely worth $5. Too bad I have already bought it twice ( first on 360 and then it came with the steam indie pack)

Already purchased it and completed it for the 360 (even got all of the secret stars), but I bought two more copies through Steam... one for me and one for my brother. Great game and one heckuva deal for that price. Looking forward to playing through it again.

I really didn't enjoy the game very much for $15 (only bought it because people were creaming themselves over it at launch), but $5 is a reasonable price for it. It's really only 4-5 hours of somewhat fun puzzles with a unique art style and an incredibly vague plot (and nearly no replay value). Anyways the demo gives you a very good idea of what the rest of the game will be like.

[quote name='Vinny']When does this sale end?[/QUOTE]

Steam weekend deals usually end on monday mornings, but I'm not sure exactly what time in the morning.

I bought the PC version for $15, and I absolutely feel like it was worth it. Yes, the game is short. But, like World of Goo, it's short specifically because it doesn't repeat itself. Every single level shows you something new. Quality over quantity, and all that.

And if you do want more content, the Braid modding community is slowly but surely coming into its own. Most of the mods are simply hard-for-hard's-sake, but a few of them are really neat.

But all of that is moot, at least for this weekend, because $5 is an amazing price any way you slice it.

Are there any plans to release this game in a retail box? because I'd rather have the CD than the version on Steam...

If there are no retail plans I'll probably get it from Steam this weekend...

[quote name='teddybass']Are there any plans to release this game in a retail box? because I'd rather have the CD than the version on Steam...

If there are no retail plans I'll probably get it from Steam this weekend...[/QUOTE]

He would have to strike up a publishing deal and then the game would probably cost like $35. You would want that over a $5 digital copy?

This is definitely one of my favorite games on the 360, and I'm really close to paying the $5 just to have it on my laptop and play whatever mods show up. However, I just got so many computer games from the GoGamer sale, and bought Civ IV for $5 from D2D, so this is really bad timing for me. I'll probably still break and buy it anyways because I dig it that much.

[quote name='StickyWaffles']This is definitely one of my favorite games on the 360, and I'm really close to paying the $5 just to have it on my laptop and play whatever mods show up. However, I just got so many computer games from the GoGamer sale, and bought Civ IV for $5 from D2D, so this is really bad timing for me. I'll probably still break and buy it anyways because I dig it that much.[/QUOTE]

If you're talking about it's MB size, it's only a roughly 150~160 MB game, so even if you're cutting it close in terms of HD space, if you run disk clean up, you should be able to find the space.

I went ahead and bought it again. I finished the game on 360 (the last level is epic) but I feel it's worth getting again on PC for the $5. Played it briefly, I'm surprised with how easy it is to play with a keyboard :)

[quote name='projectionist']I WOULD NEVER BUY THIS HORRIBLE GA-

(reverses time and slaps himself)

I WOULD INSTANTLY BUY THIS AMAZING GAME!!![/QUOTE]Awesome. :applause:

I got Braid for $10 on the X360 and felt I got my money's worth. Penny Arcade really laced into people's whining about the price and while I saw their point, I was still unable to bite for $15. And, no, I don't think comparing the length of entertainment to movies or CDs is valid either.

Bottom Line: For $5 - less than the price of most fast food meal combos that'll just end up circling the bowl tomorrow - there is no excuse not to pick up this game, if only for the dreamy artwork and unique music.

Just picked it up! Was debating on whether or not to pick it up on the 360 for achievements but I opted to save 10 bucks and got the steam version instead.

[quote name='DirkBelig']Awesome. :applause:

I got Braid for $10 on the X360 and felt I got my money's worth. Penny Arcade really laced into people's whining about the price and while I saw their point, I was still unable to bite for $15. And, no, I don't think comparing the length of entertainment to movies or CDs is valid either.

Bottom Line: For $5 - less than the price of most fast food meal combos that'll just end up circling the bowl tomorrow - there is no excuse not to pick up this game, if only for the dreamy artwork and unique music.[/QUOTE]

Im also like that but it because i like hard copy of my video games and plus digtal distribuation gives microsft to much power. atleast steam gives you resonable price. plus with the pc verison you can mod the game

Wow, for as much hype as this game has, I'm surprised I hated it so much. Does the game even have an ending? I got to world three or so and realized I could just walk to the end of each level, so that's what I did. How boring.

I'd be miffed it this had cost more than $5, but I still want my time back.

[quote name='Jodou']Wow, for as much hype as this game has, I'm surprised I hated it so much. Does the game even have an ending? I got to world three or so and realized I could just walk to the end of each level, so that's what I did. How boring.

I'd be miffed it this had cost more than $5, but I still want my time back.[/QUOTE]

Then you obviously missed the entire point of the game. The goal isn't to complete the level, the goal is to solve the puzzles and collect all the puzzle pieces. You must obtain all the puzzle pieces to reach the final level.

How did you miss such a large component of the game? That's like running through a level in an FPS without ever firing a single bullet.

Picked this up since I needed some more PC games to kill time when I don't have access to the xbox. Was only lukewarm on it after playing the first level on the Demo, but it really gets more interesting after that.

[quote name='hmbtnguy']Then you obviously missed the entire point of the game. The goal isn't to complete the level, the goal is to solve the puzzles and collect all the puzzle pieces. You must obtain all the puzzle pieces to reach the final level.

How did you miss such a large component of the game? That's like running through a level in an FPS without ever firing a single bullet.[/QUOTE]
That's what I started off doing and after a while I got bored and started to explore. That's when I realized that I could skip through each level and didn't have to collect a thing. That really struck me as odd, but I just went back through it and beat it in like three hours. Interesting concept, but hardly living up to all the praise it was getting IMO.

[quote name='Jodou']That's what I started off doing and after a while I got bored and started to explore. That's when I realized that I could skip through each level and didn't have to collect a thing. That really struck me as odd, but I just went back through it and beat it in like three hours. Interesting concept, but hardly living up to all the praise it was getting IMO.[/QUOTE]
Are you sure you got every puzzle piece in every level in three hours? Then you played the final world and saw the ending?

[quote name='Doomed']Are you sure you got every puzzle piece in every level in three hours? Then you played the final world and saw the ending?[/QUOTE]

Considering the speed run challenge is 45 minutes, beating the game in 3 hours is fair.

The real challenge IMO are the stars. I could only find and grab 2 of them without any sort of hint.

bread's done
Back