Steam Weekend Deal-World of Goo $5!

just a few months ago i spent the 20 bucks on it and i had a feeling this was going to happen. oh well i recommend it to everyone, very fun and cute game. challenging as well

[quote name='Filbert']Hmm, I bought the game from Amazon for 10$ awhile back but never installed it. Can I register my copy on Steam like with Unreal 3?[/quote]
There's no code of any kind in the case, probably to cut costs. No Steam activation for me... :(

I wanted to get this from WiiWare some day, but now it looks like I'm going to have to buy the steam version instead. Darn weekend deals!

What a sweet deal! Just beat Chapter 1 and must say that in hindsight I would have gladly paid $20 for this game. Sorry I didn't give you a chance before 2D Boy...

ugh, too many good steam deals

anyone wanna help a bro out and gift me a copy? I'll paypal you the $5.15 to cover.

I live in France, but my steam account's cc and paypal are in the USA so steam thinks i'm some foreign scammer...

i leave feedback for cool cats 8)

Decided to get in on this. I've heard good things about this game. I don't usually buy things on steam, but $5 seems like a great deal.

[quote name='Nelo Ice']yeah

go to
Steam -> Steamapps -> common -> world of goo -> properties then click on config

u should see this line and change the 800 and 600 to w/e res u want

widescreen/higher res works now, mentioning that since there were problems before though and looks great at 1680x1050 :bouncy:[/quote]

Thanks for this
Didn't look so good on my 22" monitor, set it to 1680x1050 :p

Bought it. Beat it in one evening (about 5 hours including various interruptions/chatting on AIM).

The game is definitely worth $5. But I would have felt kind of ripped off if I had paid $20 for it.

It's nice to support indie developers on a budget ;)

I spent $10 on breakfast today, so $5 for a game that will provide a longer, more entertaining experience is a no brainer, especially after reading in Max PC while eating that 2D Boy Brighter Minds filed for bankruptcy in January because everyone rewarded their shipping the game without DRM by pirating it. There are people who cry on EVERY fuckING THREAD about how they're not going to buy a title because it has DRM; how much you wanna bet they downloaded this and won't pony up?

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='DirkBelig']I spent $10 on breakfast today, so $5 for a game that will provide a longer, more entertaining experience is a no brainer, especially after reading in Max PC while eating that 2D Boy filed for bankruptcy in January because everyone rewarded their shipping the game without DRM by pirating it. There are people who cry on EVERY fuckING THREAD about how they're not going to buy a title because it has DRM; how much you wanna bet they downloaded this and won't pony up?[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I hate those hypocrites. >_<

I generally don't mind DRMs with the exception of StarForce. I wouldn't have bought this game for $20, but for $5, I'm in. Sucks to hear that 2D Boy filed for bankruptcy. I hope things go well for him/them in the future.

2D BOY did not file for bankruptcy. Brighter Minds, the company that published the boxed copy of World of Goo, did.

[quote name='Serik']2D BOY did not file for bankruptcy. Brighter Minds, the company that published the boxed copy of World of Goo, did.[/QUOTE]

Oh. That'll learn 'em to publish a game without DRM. :(

[quote name='Serik']2D BOY did not file for bankruptcy. Brighter Minds, the company that published the boxed copy of World of Goo, did.[/quote]I stand corrected and looking at the mag, see I didn't note the distinction.

Thanks I really dig this game now that I have the full thing. I tried the demo wasn't super-impressed, but now I appreciate it more.

[quote name='zakk']Thanks I really dig this game now that I have the full thing. I tried the demo wasn't super-impressed, but now I appreciate it more.[/quote]
Yeah, its really growing on me. Its not amazing, but definitely worth $5.

Geez, either there's a lot of folks like me who were undecided the whole weekend, or everyone else bought UT3 and is downloading it right now because I'm getting the slowest download speeds I've ever gotten off Steam. Haven't gotten above 100k/s once. Was hoping to try this game out since I've read so many good things about it.

[quote name='PikaPichu'][quote name='Serik']2D BOY did not file for bankruptcy. Brighter Minds, the company that published the boxed copy of World of Goo, did.[/quote]Oh. That'll learn 'em to publish a game without DRM. :([/quote]
I actually took a look the World of Goo box at the store and I can see why its sales wouldn't be that great. I bought the game during this sale so I will admit that it would be pretty tough to describe - but I don't think their retail box was well designed to carry the premise to the public. For most everyone on this forum, you would know about the game already so you wouldn't need to know the message - if you wanted to buy it you would go ahead and do that. For any casual purchaser though?

The box told me nothing about the game. Racing games, FPSes, strategy games, sports games, etc are all pretty easy to convey but not so much with puzzle games. A game like the Incredible Machine is pretty easy - Build a machine! This one just told me something about balls of goo not knowing that they are delicious. The box looked gorgeous but as for a message? That's where I didn't get much.

DRM essentially curtails *CASUAL PIRACY* read: you give the game to your friend. Even if a game had DRM it would be all over the usual piracy sites in no time. I'm not saying piracy wasn't a factor but I think the bigger factor was their marketing (via box art) failed.

[quote name='blackhole82']I liked this game so much, I bought another copy to gift to a friend.[/QUOTE]

Ya my mom lost her job awhile back and that means my family is still really hurting for money so buying my little bro video games isn't exactly something she can do. My little brother wants to be an architect when he grows up and spends a lot of time playing with Knex. Figured this would be an amazing game to gift him over steam.

Anyone who spends over $5 on lunch at a fast food place should have a moments pause about buying a well-regarded game for $5. How long did it take to eat that lunch and how long did it stay with you? Exactly!

I just wish I didn't totally suck at it. I'm stuck on the 3rd fraking level!!! Argh!!!!

[quote name='DirkBelig']Anyone who spends over $5 on lunch at a fast food place should have a moments pause about buying a well-regarded game for $5. How long did it take to eat that lunch and how long did it stay with you? Exactly!

I just wish I didn't totally suck at it. I'm stuck on the 3rd fraking level!!! Argh!!!![/quote]

It takes some getting used to. I just got to Chapter 3 last night.

[quote name='blackhole82']It takes some getting used to. I just got to Chapter 3 last night.[/QUOTE]

I am having a freaking blast with this game but I would agree it is a little difficult. I have been stuck on the final episode of world 1 for awhile. I keep coming within 2 or 3 meters of finishing then my whole tower collapses. Probably been stuck for about 40 mins or so but I dont even care because I am having so much fun.

Edit - Huzzah!!! Just beat it with a 36/25! Freaking love this game!

[quote name='DirkBelig']How long did it take to eat that lunch and how long did it stay with you? Exactly![/quote]

Maybe 10 minutes altogether, if it was fast food.

What are the highest resolutions that you guys have found that work well? First I tried 1920x1200 and some of the text was completely off screen, then I tried 1600x1200 and that's a little off screen as well, not nearly as bad but still doesn't look right. Other than that it looks great at these resolutions.

bread's done
Back