Steam Weekend Deal-World of Goo $5!

Thank god for the demo. I prolly would've impulse bought this but I thought I'd try out the demo before I buy. Glad I did. This game just isn't for me. I always like the idea behind these physics-based puzzle games but then I actually play them, realize how much I suck at them, and lose interest. I still love me some Peggle though.

Still World of Goo seems like a cool game and I applaud the developer for creating an original game. Hope they get some decent sales this weekend.

Well, there's a few things about this game being pirated. One is that most people who pirate it wouldn't buy it (we'll say 80% of that 90% wouldn't have bought it). Also, a small percentage of those that pirate it will buy another game from the same developers if they liked it (give another 2% there).
This, of course, means that by very rough estimates the developers are only seeing 5/9 the profit they should thanks to piracy.

However, to their credit, adding DRM would've reduced piracy but also legitimate sales, probably by the same portion, which means they ultimately came out ahead by choosing not to implement it, never mind the high cost of ACTUALLY implementing it.

Don't fool yourself into thinking piracy by a single individual doesn't hurt. I pirated every PC game I could find for several years, and had I bought them instead (within my budget, so not buying as many as I pirated by a long shot), I'd probably have bought 10 games. There are at least a few million "old me"s out there, and that amounts to a few tens of millions of games that didn't sell. Piracy hurts.

But then there's the "gotta support the [devs/artists/etc]!" clowns. I won't get into that, but suffice it to say that yes, buying at full retail sends more money to the developers, but if you want to support them instead of the retail stores, buy at a good price or used and send money the developers' way in some other manner. But also remember that supporting Wal-Mart by buying a game from them = Wal-Mart seeing profit from video games = Wal-Mart buying more video games from their distributor = distributor making more money = distributor buying more games from a given publisher = publisher making more money = publisher signing higher-priced contractors with developers. Sure, you're not supporting them as directly, but it's all the GAMES INDUSTRY and it's still a business.

...Wow, where did I get off talking about piracy for a page?
...World of Goo is a good game. Buy it at $5.

[quote name='Esoteria']Well, there's a few things about this game being pirated. One is that most people who pirate it wouldn't buy it (we'll say 80% of that 90% wouldn't have bought it). [/quote]

Just a quibble about this. First we have no idea how many would pony up if pirating wasn't an option.

Second and the more important: If your not willing to buy the game then You don't get to play it...period. To say the piraters would have never bought the game brings up the points -
A) then why did they go through the effort of downloading illegally and possibly having to crack it if it is something of no value to them?

B) Why do they get to enjoy the game (or find lack of enjoyment) just because they don't feel like opening their wallet?

I got it for Wii a few weeks back (mostly for the gf, she loves this game), but for $5, I'll probably pick it up for PC as well.

[quote name='hollowfreak']Damn what the hell are you talking about? Who are they? You and I could never be on equal ground. You openly admitted to illegally downloading it, that in itself makes you an idiot, I on the other hand downloaded the demo and to me it wasn't worth $20 so I didn't buy it but I didn't go out and steal it either. Now at $5 I bought it, it was a good deal. Thanks OP! So the moral of the story is that even if you bought it at $20 right now, you and I would not be on equal ground as far as they're concerned. :cry:[/quote]

They as in 2D Boy, the developers of the game. Now you get it? We are on equal ground. We both didn't give any money to them until now. You're an idiot if you believe you did any more for them than I did.

Oh god not a piracy debate. Seriously both sides need to STFU. Pirates are stupid for saying "Well I wasn't gonna buy it anyway!" and non-pirates are hypocrites since I'm sure everyone has downloaded SOMETHING illegally off the internet. Also if you buy used games and say piracy hurts developers you need to be shot.

[quote name='Distrato']Oh god not a piracy debate. Seriously both sides need to STFU. Pirates are stupid for saying "Well I wasn't gonna buy it anyway!" and non-pirates are hypocrites since I'm sure everyone has downloaded SOMETHING illegally off the internet. Also if you buy used games and say piracy hurts developers you need to be shot.[/QUOTE]

What about hard-to-find games like Marvel vs Capcom 2? XD

[quote name='PikaPichu']What about hard-to-find games like Marvel vs Capcom 2? XD[/quote]
Well there are exceptions of course :D Personally I only feel bad when I pirate console games. Handheld and PC games are so easy to pirate nowadays. I still buy PC games though and I just bought DJ Max Fever for my PSP not to long ago. If I'm a terrible person who will be the death of a multibillion dollar industry then so be it. Quit being such judgemental pricks.

[quote name='Distrato']Oh god not a piracy debate. Seriously both sides need to STFU. Pirates are stupid for saying "Well I wasn't gonna buy it anyway!" and non-pirates are hypocrites since I'm sure everyone has downloaded SOMETHING illegally off the internet. Also if you buy used games and say piracy hurts developers you need to be shot.[/quote]

It's not a piracy debate as far as my side is concerned. I downloaded it illegally in the past. Now I own it legally. Hooray.

I have a problem, can anyone help? I downloaded the demo and tried to start it and all i get is a black screen like it's starting up then it goes back to the desktop saying how the program didnt respond, cancel and close it. I'm running vista on my laptop. I've updated the video card drivers and tried updating the audio also but they're the latest. Can someone help please?

Got it for $10 from Amazon a while back. Well worth it at the $10 price. It is a great game for kids/pre-teens as well.

In for this great game at this awesome price! Thanks guys. I actually found this deal from the CAG Twitter feed. Nice to see that is working properly :)

This was worth it on the Wii for 1500 points (co-op!). Now I have it for the PC (Steam and leaderboards!), $5 is a great deal on a wonderful game! I may even gift this to a few friends or just tell them to buy it.

Wow, I almost paid full price for this earlier in the week. Picking up right now... which makes 3 out of 4 weekend deals that Steam has offered me. Good job guys.

I got this for the Wii after I got one last week, I had no idea it was for PC too. I played 4 levels and it was really good.

On a side note, Steam is killing me like others have stated. I only play TF2 on the PC but since Steam has started these deals I've gotten 10 different games and only play 3 of them. For some reason I bought GTA: SA and the Ghost Recon pack. I've never played either.

It sucks when you support a product on release date and then it drops 75% in few months.

Whatever happened to customer royalty programs?

[quote name='mhnajjar']It sucks when you support a product on release date and then it drops 75% in few months.

Whatever happened to customer royalty programs?[/quote]
Supply and demand.

[quote name='bywaytm']Tell that to the devolopers of World of Goo.

Piracy: 90% of World of Goo Installs are Pirated

"When 2D Boy released World of Goo, they decided to put their trust in gamers' consciences and send it out into the world unhindered by DRM or copy protection. Nice one, 2D Boy! So, how did that work out for you guys? "Last we checked the piracy rate was about 90%" said 2D Boy's Ron Carmel, his faith in humanity clearly a little dinted.

http://kotaku.com/5085915/90-of-world-of-goo-installs-are-pirated[/QUOTE]

That Kotaku section is actually from this article on Joystiq http://www.joystiq.com/2008/11/13/world-of-goo-has-90-piracy-rate/
Carmel informs us that he's seen torrent sites with "500 seeders and 300 leechers" and has received emails from people who initially stole the game but ended up buying the full product; unsurprisingly, they make up a "very small percentage." He concludes, "We're doing ok, though. We're getting good sales through WiiWare, Steam, and our website. Not going bankrupt just yet!"

Heh, 2D Boy should make a killing from the weekend sale, at least according to Gabe Newell:

Looking at a third-party game, it saw increases of 36,000% with a weekend sale. Oh, more data. I'm such a data nerd. Here's some data! During the Holiday sales:

• 10% sale = 35% increase in sales (real dollars, not units shipped)
  • 25% sale = 245% increase in sales
  • 50% sale = 320% increase in sales
  • 75% sale = 1470% increase in sales
At 75% off, they are making 15% more money than they were at full price.

I just downloaded the demo about 2 weeks ago but didn't think $20 was worth it for me but $5 is def tempting. Its a fun puzzle game when you are bored of the typical FPS

I got this on the Wii when it came out for $15, but otherwise I would be all over this. It is an amazingly atmospheric puzzle masterpiece. Excellent if you love bridge-builder type games.

Very creative game and it's great to see it potentially get some awesome sales this week. That being said I tried the demo and I'm gonna have to pass on this great deal. I was enjoying the tutorial-style levels but then I got to one where I had to build a tower ("Ivory Tower" is the level name I think) and just couldn't finish it. I got close (I think the goo even said "we made it" but they still didn't go into the pipe). Prolly just me sucking at these physics-based puzzle games.

I already have this on the Wii but for five bucks, I'd love to play it on my tablet. Any other tablet users out there try out the Goo?

[quote name='xycury']Damn pirates, that's why there are DRM around... pay for the fucking game.[/quote]

DRM is also there so you can't pass around your disc after you install it. Don't tell me if there wasn't any sort of DRM or cdkeys on a game you bought and your buddy wanted it too, you wouldn't just give him the disc to install the game. This is considered piracy but I know many who people would do this including me. Or even split the cost of the game! Tons of stuff like this happens on CAG and posted as deals all the time, like PSN game sharing or sharing amazon prime etc etc at least he said he bought the game

For $5 U.S., the price is a no-brainer. I played the demo and was hooked into it immediately, unlike my experience with Peggle. I'm downloading the full version of World Of Goo right now as I post this.

CAGs, this is a no-brainer! I bought it for $20 a few weeks ago and don't regret it one bit! A hell of a deal - plus you'll be supporting a great up-and-coming developer.

I played the demo and wasn't crazy about it, but $5 is cheap enough to get me to give it another chance. I really enjoyed the free play mode where you tried to build as tall of a tower as you could.

[quote name='morphineseason']I tried the demo and I'm just wondering, is there any way to increase the resolution in this game? It seems to run at a rather low resolution.[/quote]

yeah

go to
Steam -> Steamapps -> common -> world of goo -> properties then click on config

u should see this line and change the 800 and 600 to w/e res u want

widescreen/higher res works now, mentioning that since there were problems before though and looks great at 1680x1050 :bouncy:

Hmm, I bought the game from Amazon for 10$ awhile back but never installed it. Can I register my copy on Steam like with Unreal 3?

[quote name='Nelo Ice']yeah

go to
Steam -> Steamapps -> common -> world of goo -> properties then click on config

u should see this line and change the 800 and 600 to w/e res u want

widescreen/higher res works now, mentioning that since there were problems before though and looks great at 1680x1050 :bouncy:[/quote]

Thanks!

bread's done
Back