Stootsi Salvage Mall- [updated] Wii Remote $14.99, 360 controller 9.99

Arcademode

CAGiversary!
Feedback
4 (100%)
http://www.stootsi.com/store/cat.aspx?cat=3821

Stootsi.com has a section known as the "Salvage Mall", in which items are sold as-is, without refunds.
The Disclaimer, as written by Stootsi.com is written as follows:

• All products sold on salvage.stootsi.com have issues. We will do our best to present these issues to you.
  • All salvage products are sold as-is, with no warranties expressed or implied, unless otherwise stated on the item page.
  • Nearly all of these items are former customer returns, untested, unfixed, or just not working in some regard.
  • Cosmetic conditions will vary tremendously, but will be clearly advertised.
Basically, you're taking a gamble for buying items that may or may not work for ridiculously low prices. Each item has a short description of the condition, so make sure you read the descriptions! So buyer beware, if you're not feeling risky.

I have bought a wired XBOX360 controller from this before under "good" condition, and it has worked perfectly. Luck of the draw, I suppose.

Items Include (updated):
XBOX360 white wireless controller (limit 1) - $9.99
Wii Remote - $14.99
XBOX 360 MC2 Racing Wheel - $9.99
Datel Maxdrive 160GB HD PS3 - $34.99
PS3 Wireless Sixaxis Controller (limit 1) - $2.29
Nyko Wii Remote Charge Station - $2.99
XBOX360 Wireless Headset Halo Edition - $4.99

New items are constantly being added and removed, so check back often.

Shipping is $6.00 flat, and everything's tax free except for PA residents.

Last edited by a moderator:
My order arrived two days ago.

1 Spartan Controller only problem is one joystick doesn't work
1 White 360 Controller everything works fine something rattling inside though
1 Halo 3 Headset is non-responsive

All totaled about 20 dollars. Hell of a deal if you ask me. Even if I have to pay Microsoft to fix them all which by looks of it MS does for free fairly often that is still 3 expensive pieces for 20 dollars.

Got both of my 360 wireless adapters. Both were in their original packing and showed no signs of physical damager. Gonna test them, now, to see if I got really lucky. If not, I am still extremely pleased with the Salvage Mall, so far.

EDIT: No big surprise, but neither works. Like a previous poster, the red light is solid, indicating the adapter is ready to be connected, but on the console, it says it is disconnected. Will try MS later to see if I can get them to send me a replacement. I am still very pleased with the Salvage Mall. They sent me exactly what I ordered. Hopefully, more orders will be like this one, and not the ones that got smashed up garbage.

They got a metal gear headset in there now for 9.99. I'm tempted... Just to have it, wont ever use it. Looks uncomfortable.

[quote name='yohsh']They got a metal gear headset in there now for 9.99. I'm tempted... Just to have it, wont ever use it. Looks uncomfortable.[/quote]

You wouldn't want to use it, even if it worked. All the reviews point towards it being a complete piece of trash. That being said, if I make any more purchases from here, and they have one of those in stock, I will probably also pick one up for collecting purposes.

My $7.84 shipped Sixaxis came in today. They never did send me a shipping notification for it. It came in a small padded envelope, no cardboard box, no insert,, no invoice, no manual, and no cable, which was a little disappointing. It was a little dirtier than I like to keep my things, but nothing beyond normal wear and tear. Just for fun, almost instinctively, I pressed the PS button as soon as I took it out of the envelope, and to my surprise, the 4 lights started flashing - so, not only was it not completely dead, but it held a charge for about a week or more, a very good sign. So, I went to try to sync it with the PS3, again, not expecting much, it connected just fine. I wanted to try it with the Warhawk demo (which I had never played before), but I had to wait for an update which took forever to download. When I finally got in, the motion controls work great, all the buttons, d-pad, and triggers seem to work great, but up and down on the left stick are a bit wonky - there is a dead-zone pushing straight forward, but pushing up at an a slight left angle gets the job done. Not ideal, but definitely better than I was expecting.

Well, in all fairness, PS3 controllers don't come with USB cables. Kind of surprised they threw your controller in a padded envelope, when they put my two adapters in a way-too-big box. Stootsi really is odd.

[quote name='bigdaddybruce44']Well, in all fairness, PS3 controllers don't come with USB cables. Kind of surprised they threw your controller in a padded envelope, when they put my two adapters in a way-too-big box. Stootsi really is odd.[/quote]

Aah, I only have the controller that came with the system, which came with a cable, so I just assumed the controllers were sold with cables. Thanks for the info. My adapters came in big box too, but one of them had the original packaging, so I kind of understand it.

[quote name='guessed']Aah, I only have the controller that came with the system, which came with a cable, so I just assumed the controllers were sold with cables. Thanks for the info. My adapters came in big box too, but one of them had the original packaging, so I kind of understand it.[/quote]

Yeah, for some reason, Sony doesn't include cables with anything it seems, just like no HDMI cable with the PS3. Yeah, sure, you don't get one with lower-tier 360 models, either, but for $400 or $500, you'd think Sony couldn't pony up a few pennies for the cable, especially when they market the PS3 as the pinnacle of hi-def entertainment.

I managed to combine my broken 360 and PS3 controller to make a "usable" PS3 controller. The analog sticks were broken on the PS3 and the 360 analog stick "controllers" (the part under the sticks) were broke on the 360 controller. I just move the actual sticks to the PS3 sixaxis and everything works. I guess I am now semi-pleased with the results. I learned how both controllers work, have another PS3 controller, and a 360 controller case to mod. The bluetooth adapter, bluetooth headset, and 360 headset are beyond repair, especially once I took them apart :). Not so bad for $23 after all. I still would have like knowing the exact condition of the items I was buying though. I am considering buying more controllers to have if they ever show up again.

yea, i'm pleased with the results... it seems they've changed the way the site works and looks now to make sure people know what they're getting into (i.e. putting an interstitial warning when you click on your first item and bringing the "what's wrong" section up to the top of the page).

the way i see it... i paid $20 and i got a $100 HD Source Selector/100mbs Switch and a $60 306 wireless headset. if i could get the wii charge station to work, that would put me up near $200 total for my $20 investment.

hopefully more ps3 controllers go one there, because i'm pretty sure i'd be able to get at least them working if i bought a few of them.

Well, got my 30gb ipod video today. Came in the original box with brand new earbuds and usb cord. The ipod itself was pretty scratched up... but I can't really complain. Ipod was exactly as described - cracked screen but otherwise working fine.

Took about half an hour to open and replace the screen. Opening took about 20 minutes of cussing and the rest was pie. Anyways, I spent about 60$ for the broken ipod and replacement screen and couldn't be happier.

[quote name='TheShepherdSauce']Well, got my 30gb ipod video today. Came in the original box with brand new earbuds and usb cord. The ipod itself was pretty scratched up... but I can't really complain. Ipod was exactly as described - cracked screen but otherwise working fine.

Took about half an hour to open and replace the screen. Opening took about 20 minutes of cussing and the rest was pie. Anyways, I spent about 60$ for the broken ipod and replacement screen and couldn't be happier.[/quote]

That sounds like a pretty good deal to me. I might have to consider taking the same route as you.

To all of those people who bought the wireless headset and got them to send you a new one how did you do this? I've called twice and can't get em to budge. The first one said I'd only be able to return it to the place I bought it, at which I said it was gift. He still persisted. The second guy said he can make an exchange only if I send in the invoice and headset. Any ideas?

[quote name='jaydepps']To all of those people who bought the wireless headset and got them to send you a new one how did you do this? I've called twice and can't get em to budge. The first one said I'd only be able to return it to the place I bought it, at which I said it was gift. He still persisted. The second guy said he can make an exchange only if I send in the invoice and headset. Any ideas?[/QUOTE]

dunno... at this point, you're probably flagged, so i don't know if there's anything you *can* do.

I received my iPod Video and it's in immaculate condition except the hard drive is fucked. I've tried every hard reset, disassembly, attempted restores, everything. I may consider ordering a known good hard drive for it.

It's in exactly the condition they specified though, so that's good!

Just a heads up to everybody. Stootsi has the PS3 Sixaxis controllers back in stock (salvage mall) at $2.99. Not sure if it was like this last time, but there's a quantity limit of 1 per order on them.

If this is how they're going to play it, that one that they send me better be in repairable condition (ie. no broken sticks, smashed button, etc.). You'd think they'd at least allow you the possibility of tearing apart, and combining parts from a couple controllers.

Well, I struck out on trying to get a replacement network adapter from MS, but that's all right. Can't really blame them for not wanting to replace crap I could have found anywhere.

I threw one of the adapters up on eBay, and I have a bid at $10 shipped. I see a bunch of completed auctions for as-is adapters for around $10 and $20, so I think I can pretty much make my money back on the two if I play my cards right.

I needed a cheap phone to take snowboarding so I don't break my iPhone so I bought 4 Samsung SGH-T509. Hopefully one of them works! It came out to around $22.

[quote name='jaydepps']To all of those people who bought the wireless headset and got them to send you a new one how did you do this? I've called twice and can't get em to budge. The first one said I'd only be able to return it to the place I bought it, at which I said it was gift. He still persisted. The second guy said he can make an exchange only if I send in the invoice and headset. Any ideas?[/QUOTE]

They told me they needed the receipt, i sent it back anyway, hopefully they'll replace, ill keep you guys updated

Well, I ended up getting $23.50 shipped for the first network adapter I threw up on eBay. After fees and shipping, I'm still more than halfway to getting my money back. If I can get this lucky again, I should finish actually making a profit off of these.

[quote name='anubis20']They told me they needed the receipt, i sent it back anyway, hopefully they'll replace, ill keep you guys updated[/quote]

When I sent mine back, I gave them a copy of the receipt from Stootsi, and I got a brand new headset back. This was back when Stootsi was selling the Halo 3 Wireless Headset for around $20. It was DOA, so I sent it to MS and got a brand new one in retail packaging a couple days later. Was a great deal still, even though I had to pay to ship it to MS, which was like $7 or so. Still, $27 for a thing that costs $60 is great. You shouldn't have a problem getting a replacement, I don't think.

i called today they said they hadnt received it but i gave them delivery confirmation and said it was going to be processed soon

i did pretty good i bought a wireless adapter which worked shockingly enough, 3 wireless headsets 1 worked and 2 of the wireless optical pro desktops 1 worked didn't try the other. all together i spent about 50 bucks and got over 225 dollars worth of working product so i am happy. Will be happier once i test the other set to make sure it works

I am addicted to this site... But, I think I am gonna stop ordering for now. This is officially my favorite place to order stuff now.

So far I've ordered 5 Xbox 360 controllers totaling about 12 dollars for all of em. 1 Spartan one has a bad joystick, I am gonna open it on monday when my tool arrive, 1 wired one they said had a cut wire, but the wire is fine, the coating had a slight gash that electric tape fixed. The other 3 were standard white and all three worked fine, only thing is one doesn't rumble(doesn't bother me much), the other two don't have battery packs, and I can get them cheap enough. So 4.5 working controller for 12 bucks. I bought a Harmon Kardom Drive and Play valued at roughly 30 for 3.99. It came in original packaging and looks great. I bought a PS3 sixaxis controller for .99 and it worked perfect(just no rumble). I bought two headsets 1 wired for .99 works fine, one wireless for 3.99 doesn't work(trying to get microsoft to replace it). I bought two PS2 controllers for 3.99 I haven't been able to test. Finally a PS3 wireless headset missing it's charging cable. I haven't spent all that much, but I got a lot of working things.

[quote name='jaydepps']I bought a PS3 sixaxis controller for .99 and it worked perfect(just no rumble).[/quote]

Two things about your Sixaxis controller.

1: You're lucky as hell! When I placed my order for a bunch of stuff (the main thing I wanted being a Sixaxis controller), my order went through, and I was charged. But then a Stootsi guy (Brian) called me to tell me the Sixaxis controllers were "out of stock", and he refunded the $2.99 back to my card.

2: Sixaxis controllers do not have rumble. This was when Sony was in the lawsuit with Immersion, and couldn't put rumble in any new controllers. So, basically, you got a perfect PS3 controller. Lucky bastard!

I ordered two of the 360 wireless adapters, but neither of them worked - both have the red light on, but aren't detected - stinky.

Orders a Wired 360 controller in Good Condition from Salvage Mall, the thing came already cracked? Working or not working is another matter, but to my understanding that definitely doesn't look like to be in good condition. Any one think this deserves a charge back?

You read the warning and agreed - when buying from the salvage you should expect a good chance of getting broken crap and the small chance of getting lucky.

Update:

So, the two adapters that I bought for $26 shipped ended up selling for $58 shipped. Not bad. Now, I just have to wait and see if either of these buyers were morons who end up giving me a hard time and want to know why the "as-is, non-functioning" item I sold them doesn't work. :roll: No word so far, though, so I think I'm good.

The only problem with the Salvage Mall so far is that they apparently do not describe every item in detail. Some of them have pretty detailed descriptions, but others just say they are untested and for parts and repair. Then, you get the item, and it's cracked, broken, whatever. Now, I wouldn't have a big issue with this if they were selling a whole lot of them and were just sending out a random one. But most, if not all, of the items can only be purchased in a quantity of one. So, they are selling you a specific item. They should give you a complete description.

[quote name='bigdaddybruce44']The only problem with the Salvage Mall so far is that they apparently do not describe every item in detail. Some of them have pretty detailed descriptions, but others just say they are untested and for parts and repair. Then, you get the item, and it's cracked, broken, whatever. Now, I wouldn't have a big issue with this if they were selling a whole lot of them and were just sending out a random one. But most, if not all, of the items can only be purchased in a quantity of one. So, they are selling you a specific item. They should give you a complete description.[/quote]

I agree with this for the most part. I think the cosmetic condition of the item should be guaranteed. I don't expect them to know exactly why the item isn't working though. After all, if they did, they could probably fix it themselves.

I'm also a little leary of items that cannot really be taken apart. I took a chance on one of the 360 wireless headsets, and it's completely dead. If I had to guess, I'd say that the charging cable is not making a proper connection to charge the battery.

When I plugged it in, it feels extremely loose, and gives me no indication of power. But there's really no way to open up the headset without completely cracking it open. In this case, it almost seems like trying to con MS is your only option.

I'm waiting on the replacement iPod Video hard drive I ordered to arrive for the 30g I bought off there for $45. If I end up with an iPod Video for $75 I'll be happy.

Edit:
The hard drive arrived and the iPod works 100%! Very happy with my purchase indeed.

update: BOOM!

picture.php

$4.99 well spent.

[quote name='zenintrude']update: BOOM!

$4.99 well spent.[/quote]

The only reason you were able to pull this off is because yours came in the original packaging right? I ordered the basic white wireless headset from Stootsi, and it just came in a little padded envelope. I doubt MS would go for that.

[quote name='n8rockerasu']The only reason you were able to pull this off is because yours came in the original packaging right? I ordered the basic white wireless headset from Stootsi, and it just came in a little padded envelope. I doubt MS would go for that.[/QUOTE]

it came from goozex in (ravaged, cut-up) original packaging, but i didn't send it to MS with the packaging.

they tested it and sent me the new one.

Got my 4 phones today, and none of them came with batteries or battery covers. :whistle2:/ I didn't recall seeing this in the description and I think I'm going to send them an email. What do you think the chance they'll send me the covers?

[quote name='Bioshocked360']Got my 4 phones today, and none of them came with batteries or battery covers. :whistle2:/ I didn't recall seeing this in the description and I think I'm going to send them an email. What do you think the chance they'll send me the covers?[/QUOTE]

not a shot, but good luck.

Wow, I've just got my first major gripe with Stootsi (and this is coming from someone with a fairly lax expectation with "as-is" items). I bought one of the PS2 slims that they said "does not read discs properly". I took a chance on it, hoping it would be like several PS2 fats I've owned that just needed a laser adjustment. Of course, when I received it, it came with no accessories. So, I actually had to buy an AC adapter for it.

Upon connecting it and turning it on, the thing starts having massive video glitches with distorted colors and text everywhere. I didn't even get a chance to put a disc in because the GPU is probably so massively fried, repair is out of the question. How could this product simply be described as "not reading discs properly"? Even for an "as-is" listing...isn't this crossing some kind of line?

If it's not, what's stopping people from listing garbage on ebay, making it appear as "fixable", but listing it "as-is", and then just laughing all the way to the bank? For that matter, I could list this thing on ebay and say the same thing, passing the buck on to the next poor schmuck who thinks he can fix it. I have to believe it's still illegal to blatantly mislead your customers. I'm considering calling my credit card company to dispute the charge, but I don't know if I'll run straight into the "it says 'as-is'" brick wall. Either way, this is the most deceptive business practice I've seen in quite some time. Any opinions?

[quote name='M3wThr33']Dude. Did you READ the disclaimer? You get what you pay for.[/quote]

A well thought out response :roll: I did read the disclaimer. But does the disclaimer justify intentionally misleading people? I'm questioning whether they have the right to make something appear as though it is fixable, by giving a false (or at least a "half the truth") description, when they know the item is in worse condition. You must really be a dick if you think slapping an "as-is" label on something is a license to be dishonest.

I've actually bought a lot of stuff from Stootsi's Salvage Mall, and most of it is fairly accurate. I just think this one is pushing it a little too far. But go ahead. Shoot back another catchphrase response that you heard all the other cool kids say.

This is exactly what I said earlier in the thread. My only issue is that they aren't fully describing the issues. If you say "can't read discs," that sounds like something one might be able to tinker with. Not that it is a guarantee that you can fix it, but it still sounds like there is a change. Getting a completely shot unit is another story.

[quote name='klwillis45']Yeah "does not read discs" definetly implies its a drive problem and is not a good description for what you got.[/quote]

[quote name='bigdaddybruce44']This is exactly what I said earlier in the thread. My only issue is that they aren't fully describing the issues. If you say "can't read discs," that sounds like something one might be able to tinker with. Not that it is a guarantee that you can fix it, but it still sounds like there is a change. Getting a completely shot unit is another story.[/quote]

Thank you guys. That's all I was saying. To me, this is just dirty pool. Even if you look on eBay, in the "as-is" world, if someone claims to not have any idea what is wrong with an item, it usually sells for less than someone who gives the impression that it's a simple fix.

The more I think about it, the more I want to dispute the charge. I'm not a lawyer, but if we live in a country where you can intentionally mislead buyers, but be free from consequence because you put an "as-is" label on the item, something is seriously fucked up.

You mentioned the ac adapter was missing. That may be your in since I thought they are supposed to list if anything is missing.

[quote name='n8rockerasu']Thank you guys. That's all I was saying. To me, this is just dirty pool. Even if you look on eBay, in the "as-is" world, if someone claims to not have any idea what is wrong with an item, it usually sells for less than someone who gives the impression that it's a simple fix.

The more I think about it, the more I want to dispute the charge. I'm not a lawyer, but if we live in a country where you can intentionally mislead buyers, but be free from consequence because you put an "as-is" label on the item, something is seriously fucked up.[/QUOTE]

i agree... and the fact that it came with nothing but the unit is awful. did it say *unit only*?

i can understand the salvage mall in theory... they get returns, and based on complaints from the uders who returned them, they place them here for people who think they can repair them.

they do not claim to have tested them, so perhaps what happened was this: a person bought the ps2, fried it somehow (surge?), returned it to stootsi claiming that it didn't read discs (something that stootsi would easily believe), and then stootsi listed it on the salvage mall with a description based on the user's return.

bread's done
Back