Street Fighter IV - Gen Discussion & Info

I dont think the match by skill thing is working. I am getting raped on the battle points.

I have that set in the options but I havent vs the same rank as me in a while. I am winning 90% of my matches...but when I do lose I am loosing like 99 BP but when I win I am only getting 33. I am guessing it will even out if I vs the same rank but I dont know how.

[quote name='masked lemon']You do have everybody else besides Akuma, Gouken, and Seth unlocked, right?[/QUOTE]

Yup. I had everyone else unlocked already.

[quote name='BigHow']Yup. I had everyone else unlocked already.[/QUOTE]

there was a post a couple pages back where it explained it.

how i got it was to get akuma...just get 2+ perfects and dont continue and beat seth. after that Akuma should appear.

after you get Akuma, beat the game with akuma no requirements.

to get Gouken. get ONLY 2 perfects and 3+ ultra combo finishes. I pulled out 5 to be on the safe side and Gouken showed up.

anymore than 2 perfects and akuma will show up again.

[quote name='integralsmatic']there was a post a couple pages back where it explained it.

how i got it was to get akuma...just get 2+ perfects and dont continue and beat seth. after that Akuma should appear.

after you get Akuma, beat the game with akuma no requirements.

to get Gouken. get ONLY 2 perfects and 3+ ultra combo finishes. I pulled out 5 to be on the safe side and Gouken showed up.

anymore than 2 perfects and akuma will show up again.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I tried doing only 2 perfects and I still got nothing.

It was only after I got 2 perfects and 2 ultras that Akuma showed up.

Developers/Publishers gotta start putting good things in CE's, not just gimmicky garbage. Who honestly wants a tiny crappy little plastic figure and some crap video to watch. Whoop-de-doo!

[quote name='will52']Developers/Publishers gotta start putting good things in CE's, not just gimmicky garbage. Who honestly wants a tiny crappy little plastic figure and some crap video to watch. Whoop-de-doo![/quote]
It sure as hell beats a DVD with behind-the-scenes features and concept art.

And since when has a full-length HD movie and a soundtrack CD been considered "gimmicky"? The HD movie would have been at least $20 itself if sold separately. Getting that along with a soundtrack CD, mini-guide, figure AND costume pack DLC for $20 extra is a pretty good deal, if you ask me.

[quote name='MSUHitman']It's a 360 game disc so the movie can be formatted in 720p wide screen. It will only play in the 360 drive.

Reason being is 1. HD-DVD is a dead format and only a fraction of 360 owners have that and 2. A regular DVD would be in 480p.

The PS3 CE being a Blu-Ray and having Ryu as a figure is also why the PS3 CE has sold more than the 360 CE. PS3 CE's are sold out nationwide pretty much, while you can still find 360 CE's if you look around.[/QUOTE]

I don't understand how the dvd would only be 480p. My copy of Terminator 2 is on SD DVD yet on the back it says it is 1080p. Sucks this came out a year after HD died. If HD DVD could have lasted another year or if this would have came out a year ago it might be on an HD DVD disc only chances are it would be a combo disc.

[quote name='BlueSwim']It sure as hell beats a DVD with behind-the-scenes features and concept art.

And since when has a full-length HD movie and a soundtrack CD been considered "gimmicky"? The HD movie would have been at least $20 itself if sold separately. Getting that along with a soundtrack CD, mini-guide, figure AND costume pack DLC for $20 extra is a pretty good deal, if you ask me.
[/QUOTE]

Yeah for an extra 20 bucks this is definitley worth it. way more value and plus that figure itself would be 15-20.

[quote name='eastx']Look Jek and Turbulence, if you guys whose characters have actually been improved in this game don't stop complaining, those of us whose characters have been nerfed (such as mine, Chun Li) will be highly annoyed. Try practicing! :D[/QUOTE]

oh I wouldn't say Balrog's been improved (he was a monster in Super Turbo imo) but yeah, I see what you mean. It's just frustrating me how slow his normals and dash punches are coming out and especially how I can't do anything to someone after I've knocked them down. I can handle the nerf for the headbutt though.

Oh well, I'll keep practicing since everyone is saying Balrog is still a beast in this game. Worse case scenario, I'll learn Sagat. Yeah.

[quote name='Strider Turbulence']
Oh well, I'll keep practicing since everyone is saying Balrog is still a beast in this game. Worse case scenario, I'll learn Sagat. Yeah.[/quote]
Sagat is soooo fun to use simply because the Tiger Knee can be pretty punishing for anyone jumping in (I went a whole round where a Gen player never learned and kept jumping in and I just kneed the shit out of him). That and mixing up Tiger shots is fun. Biggest complaint offhand I have is that his Tiger Uppercut has longer recovery compared to Dragon Punch and so if you missed or if it's blocked, it leaves you wide opened.

[quote name='mike.m']When does the next costume pack come out? I need Balrog's boxing gear![/QUOTE]

Each Friday last I heard.

[quote name='guardkitty']Is anyone going to play at the SF4 tourney this weekend at GS?[/QUOTE]

Probably would have, signed up planning to, but I have to work.

[quote name='sendme']I don't understand how the dvd would only be 480p. My copy of Terminator 2 is on SD DVD yet on the back it says it is 1080p. Sucks this came out a year after HD died. If HD DVD could have lasted another year or if this would have came out a year ago it might be on an HD DVD disc only chances are it would be a combo disc.[/quote]

The only problem with the Terminator DVD is that had to be played on a Computer with WMP to be able to output HD. If you watched it on your dvd player it would only output to 480i.

http://www.itnews.com.au/News/10781,terminator-2-dvd-to-ship-with-wmv-9.aspx

A combo disc would have been great.

The CE has...

The Ties That Bind - A 65-minute, full-length HD movie(Blu-Ray on PS3, game disc on 360)

17 Track soundtrack CD

Figure of either Ryu(PS3) or Crimson Viper(360)

Mini-guide to the new fighters

"Brawlers" costume pack DLC

It was worth the extra $20 to me.:):):)

[quote name='Dynasty1756']So how are you guys liking SFIV?
In about 20 mins Im going to pick up a copy.. :)

Whats the difference between regular and collectors edition?[/quote]

No offense, but all you have to do is go back a couple dozen pages and you'll see how much we've been talking it up :)

[quote name='BlueSwim']The CE has...

The Ties That Bind - A 65-minute, full-length HD movie(Blu-Ray on PS3, game disc on 360)

17 Track soundtrack CD

Figure of either Ryu(PS3) or Crimson Viper(360)

Mini-guide to the new fighters

"Brawlers" costume pack DLC

It was worth the extra $20 to me.:):):)
[/QUOTE]

Is the movie worth it and is the movie a bluray disk on the 360?

[quote name='mike.m']So, I'm guessing when players quit on you, there's no repercussion like a loss for them since I didn't get a win.[/quote]

They get a loss, but you dont get anything at all. Kind of weird but whatever.

[quote name='ryosnk']Is the movie worth it and is the movie a bluray disk on the 360?[/quote]
I liked the movie. It's not God's gift to gaming, but it sheds some light on Seth and Viper(who pounds the tar out of
Cammy:cry::cry::cry:
). It also fleshes out part of the story for SFIV better than the game's anime cut scenes do.

It's on a 360 game disc.

I completed all the non-trial Challenges tonight, so I feel pretty good about that. Not too much trouble outside of the Cammy AI, which is definitely the most bizarre AI in the game, making it difficult to fight, even with a great strategy.

The Hard Survival/Time Attack Challenges are easier than some of the Normal ones if you believe it. Especially Time Attack 14 and Survival 19. Nothing comes close to those 2 in terms of difficulty. I also got 2 pages of Icons by beating those.

The online search function is getting annoying. Half of the games I enter are "Unable to Play" or "Room is full." This happened in every fighting game I've bought that has online and Capcom still hasn't done anything to fix it.

[quote name='strdr4']The online search function is getting annoying. Half of the games I enter are "Unable to Play" or "Room is full." This happened in every fighting game I've bought that has online and Capcom still hasn't done anything to fix it.[/quote]

I cant believe this hasnt been mentioned in any of these, 5 out of 5, greatest game EVAR! Reviews that are up.

I give credit where its due and I rip on bad things. This is horrid. It takes me 2-3 min of quick match searching to get into a game.

Also, I dont think the sort by same rank as you even works. I have that set and I havent vs someone ranked even close to me in 15 matches.

EDIT: Hey guys do you think Ken/Ryu should be overall weaker? I am saying this because if you take a guy like Geif..he is really powerful beacuse his moves are harder to pull off. Same as Balrog..he is strong beacuse he is limited without a fireball or kick moves. Vega, Nacho Libre and such are weak beacuse they are super fast.

Given this same logic should Ryu and Ken be weak as hell? Their moves are like second natural to half the people on the planet...and they have anti air, projectiles, some damn near unblockable high damage combos.

I am not saying they will ever do that...I just was curious to what you thought.

[quote name='strdr4']The online search function is getting annoying. Half of the games I enter are "Unable to Play" or "Room is full." This happened in every fighting game I've bought that has online and Capcom still hasn't done anything to fix it.[/quote]

I just tried to find a match and none of the searches had any bars. I tried for like 5 minutes, then decided to just take anyone and it was full.

Anyway... is the time attack and survival modes the only way to unlock more colors? if so that sucks for people who arent experts at this game, cos its getting pretty damn hard now. And i want that special sakura outfit which i read is custom color 10, if you use her beauty pack outfit.

[quote name='munch']The only way I can get a game is if I create a match. Once I do that I'm playing in about 10 seconds.[/quote]

Thats what i did and i played 4 matches really quick. Lost all except the one where i was Ryu. how sad. I guess he is a noobs choice. I used Bison twice and Sakura and lost both to Ken/Ryu. Think the other two were against blanka. Its funny too cos i always use Bison and Sakura but never use Ryu and i win when i use him.

I was trying to make a private room but i guess you cant in ranked. Can you still unlock icons and titles in non ranked matches against your friends?

After losing about 20+ online matches I finally won..infact won three on the trot!!..don't think I was this happy beating someone at a video game before.

Are you guys using the analog stick or the D-pad? I'm having problems pulling off special moves with the analog and the d-pad seems to dish out random moves. I've only played with Ken and Ryu so far and I can't get the haduken perfectly..though I seem to have gotten the grasp of all the other basic special moves.

[quote name='destinywaste']After losing about 20+ online matches I finally won..infact won three on the trot!!..don't think I was this happy beating someone at a video game before.

Are you guys using the analog stick or the D-pad? I'm having problems pulling off special moves with the analog and the d-pad seems to dish out random moves. I've only played with Ken and Ryu so far and I can't get the haduken perfectly..though I seem to have gotten the grasp of all the other basic special moves.[/quote]

I suck and i still got a stick for this game, helps alot. Get a fightpad or a hori ex2 stick at Gamestop(what i did)

:)

[quote name='Soodmeg']

EDIT: Hey guys do you think Ken/Ryu should be overall weaker? I am saying this because if you take a guy like Geif..he is really powerful beacuse his moves are harder to pull off. Same as Balrog..he is strong beacuse he is limited without a fireball or kick moves. Vega, Nacho Libre and such are weak beacuse they are super fast.

Given this same logic should Ryu and Ken be weak as hell? Their moves are like second natural to half the people on the planet...and they have anti air, projectiles, some damn near unblockable high damage combos.

I am not saying they will ever do that...I just was curious to what you thought.[/QUOTE]

no, 'cause at this point, it's pretty easy to read them like a book. The fireball leaves them wide open, shoryuken leaves them even wider open, and hurricane kicks have a relatively long start up and wind-down, making them easy to see and punish.

[quote name='BackInBlack']I suck and i still got a stick for this game, helps alot. Get a fightpad or a hori ex2 stick at Gamestop(what i did)

:)[/quote]

Planning on getting the fightstick if and when it's available. Till then have to do with the standard controller.

Anyone know how to play people at a higher skill level? First day I was playing people w/ over 1k battle points when i only had 0-100

now that im over 1k bp i can't seem to play anyone above 150. I only get like 34 points per match which is pretty annoying X.x; I normally use Quick Match which is not quick at all...anyone with luck finding higher BP players in custom match? I heard that searching by skill level still doesn't work (50bp fighters vs 1k+ fighters)

I wish they would've kept the hooligan for Cammy like SSF2THD, I'm having trouble with it.

And can anyone explain to me an easy way to pull of a charged super like guile's or vega's, I never knew how to do those

Focus attacks, LP+LK for throwing, EX+Ultra meters are a nice addition to the game, I do miss air blocking and multiple types of supers though. Hope they make an Alpha IV or Capcom vs SNK 3.

I can pull off Cammy's Hooligan Throw better now, but it's still not 100%. You have to remember that the latter half is now light punch/kick instead of direction/any punch.

[quote name='naiku']Anyone know how to play people at a higher skill level? First day I was playing people w/ over 1k battle points when i only had 0-100

now that im over 1k bp i can't seem to play anyone above 150. I only get like 34 points per match which is pretty annoying X.x; I normally use Quick Match which is not quick at all...anyone with luck finding higher BP players in custom match? I heard that searching by skill level still doesn't work (50bp fighters vs 1k+ fighters)[/QUOTE]

i have this same and exact problem. my first 12 losses came against people with 1k over also but now since im at 1064....im playing people with 0 points. infact im even having KingBroly's problem now of everyone choosing ken. I dont even want to play Sagat because i end up owning them too hard....even Dan does the job quite well.

i faced 1k fighters when i was playing in arcade mode and had the match request on same skill....than i was playing guys with 1300-1500 BP...those guys were pretty good but i brought dan on all of them. went 2-3. not bad considering its Dan and Balrog,Gief,and Dhalsim are all pretty nasty. So try that. just play through arcade mode and have people interrupt your game it worked for me.

yeah capcom really needs to fix there online system. Its terrible.

alright I will try that. im at a 19-20 win streak in ranked now because of the constant ryu/ken 0bp players c.MP>c.MK>light PC the c.MP to c.MK timing is sooo annoyingly short ><

edit - http://shoryuken.com/?p=937
The Beauty Pack DLC for SF4 doesn’t hit the US until next week, but you can check out all the ladies’ alternate costumes and colors in this video.

Yeah so, any tips on beating Seth? I played through arcade mode once on medium without continuing using Ryu and he was ridiculously easy. Now I try to play through with Sakura on Easy and he becomes un-fucking-stoppable.

[quote name='The 7th Number']Wow im on timed attack challenge level 8. I guess you cant block Akumas ultra move.[/QUOTE]

No, you can't. It's like a throw, though. If you jump over him on his approach he'll miss you and lose the opportunity.

Side note.

Ken/Ryu player...can you at least stop cycling through the entire roster 5 times before ultimately coming right back to Ken/Ryu? If you are going to add to the other 6 thousand ken/ryu player please try to waste as little of our time as possiable.

Other than fighting kens all day long there are some things that are really starting to grind my nerves about the online play in this game. The last 9 guys I vs (all Kens) all had 0 BP. WHAT THE fuck? I have over 1200 why the hell am I getting matched up with these guys?

The constant unable to connect make me want to punch a kitten in the face with a puppy.

I KNOW! It's like is it supposed to trick us into selecting someone else? I fought a guy who did that but went in the same pattern every time to get there. My favorite is when I get a challenge interrupt during arcade mode AND THEY JUST SIT THERE AND DON'T READY. /stab

God they really need to fix the matchmaking I've just gotten my face handed to me four times by people with at least five times the bp I do.

Last edited by a moderator:
Trust me, just set your Match request to same skil or more skill and play through a normal arcade mode game. Than you will get interrupted alot. Im .500 today. 15-15. I have a whole new respect for Sakura now. The players i faced today had anywhere from 600 bp to 1700 bp. anybody above 1000 was quite to really good. i only faced 3 kens and 2 ryus today. Everything was a different person from Sakura to Chun Li to Blanka, to M.Bison.....shit i even face a good Gen player today. Dont care about my win/loss for today. i just had fun playing a non-absurd amount of ken/ryus.

started to learn Gief. Im LOVING Gief.

Thanks, intergral......I still think its bull that I have to go through arcade mode to get the same skill rank I am. I have now started doing custom match search and that is turning up 600 plus so thats good.

About the challenges and Trials...I will most likely never do them unless I am really bored. They are pretty much boring tacked on fluff in my opinion. You really get nothing out of beating the CPU for 7-19 rounds...or "surviving" which is just beating the CPU for 7-19 rounds.

The trial mode would have been great if it actually helped you learn the combos. I really dont see myself spending 15-20 min just trying to get button commands to register. I have seen some of those combos towards the end and honestly...how often would most of them even come up in a real match? A lot of them take so much timing to do but its all based on if your opponent stands in one spot blocking so it beacuse pretty useless to even learn them.

If it was more like, "If a guy jump do these combo," or "If a guy is throwing constant fireballs do this." Then I would be all over it.

[quote name='Soodmeg']Thanks, intergral......I still think its bull that I have to go through arcade mode to get the same skill rank I am. I have now started doing custom match search and that is turning up 600 plus so thats good.

About the challenges and Trials...I will most likely never do them unless I am really bored. They are pretty much boring tacked on fluff in my opinion. You really get nothing out of beating the CPU for 7-19 rounds...or "surviving" which is just beating the CPU for 7-19 rounds.

The trial mode would have been great if it actually helped you learn the combos. I really dont see myself spending 15-20 min just trying to get button commands to register. I have seen some of those combos towards the end and honestly...how often would most of them even come up in a real match? A lot of them take so much timing to do but its all based on if your opponent stands in one spot blocking so it beacuse pretty useless to even learn them.

If it was more like, "If a guy jump do these combo," or "If a guy is throwing constant fireballs do this." Then I would be all over it.[/QUOTE]

i dont mind trial mode...but i can completley understand. I was going through Dan's trials and i finished his normal mode trials. but then i saw the first hard one and i was like? WTF!when am i going to use a super taunt effectively? it wanted me to do jump HK to i think a md p than to a legendary taunt and then to his Ultra Super. to do all that i would be proud of myself..but that will never be in a match.

Quick question...how do you get around a Ken/Ryu instant shinroken? This is killing me online. If I hit them they instant shinroken....I knock them on the ground instant shinroken.

I havent lost that many times to a Ken/Ryu but when I have its always because of this move.

[quote name='Soodmeg']Quick question...how do you get around a Ken/Ryu instant shinroken? This is killing me online. If I hit them they instant shinroken....I knock them on the ground instant shinroken.

I havent lost that many times to a Ken/Ryu but when I have its always because of this move.[/QUOTE]

I ran into this too, and I initially had trouble because I was used to playing so aggressively against all of the ultra scrubby Ryu and Ken players. Try to combo your attacks into a move that will knock your opponent to the ground. With Cammy as my main, I attempt to combo most of my moves into a spiral arrow or cannon spike to knock them down. I like to get in close when they're getting up to make my opponent think I'm going to try an attack the moment they get up, and then block, leaving them wide open from the whiffed reversal Shoryuken.

Basically, there's no way "around it", but if you know it's coming, you can punish the opponent once the attack fails.

bread's done
Back