Street Fighter IV - Gen Discussion & Info

[quote name='StealthSoul']Playing right now, up to Sagat with Ryu and I just simply can't beat him. Don't wanna quit, anyone got any tips on how to beat him? Playing on Easy and still finding it impossible.. Playing with Ryu as I know his moves best but I'm not a very good player at all.[/quote]

Honestly, if you want to beat him and don't mind being cheap...when I was playing through with all the characters I just jumped into him, hit him with a high kick, then swept him on the ground. Jump backwards, then jump into him again...rinse and repeat. Some characters like Dhalsim that doesn't work too well for...but if you just want to get the unlock char/achievement, that's a pretty easy way to do it for most.

[quote name='Megaten']Honestly, if you want to beat him and don't mind being cheap...when I was playing through with all the characters I just jumped into him, hit him with a high kick, then swept him on the ground. Jump backwards, then jump into him again...rinse and repeat. Some characters like Dhalsim that doesn't work too well for...but if you just want to get the unlock char/achievement, that's a pretty easy way to do it for most.[/quote]
Thanks for the reply :D.
Trying to do this now, I just seem to get thrashed by his fireballs every time I try to jump into him! Will continue trying, though

edit: fuck it. Spent too much time trying haha.. Hands are starting to hurt! Can't even beat the game on easy :|. Guess I'll get better with time.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='sendme']I have faced 3 or 4 akumas online and every time I have lost but maybe once. I start out doing well and end up getting hit maybe 4 or 5 times just enough for the ultra to kill me. Then when they have for the ultra I get hit with it and I'm dead. His ultra does not seem that hard to do and does more damage then the other ultras from what I have seen. Maybe not as much as Seth or Goken but I have only seen seths 3 times that I can think of in arcade mode and I was damn near dead anyway.[/quote]

Akuma's Super and Ultra are the easiest to avoid despite being unblockable. I'm pretty positive that there are no moves that can combo into a raging demon so all you have to do is jump over it. And yes, it really is that easy. As soon as you see the animation for a raging demon start just hold up on the stick and you'll be able to avoid it. The startup animation takes like 1-2 seconds which is more than enough time to react.

[quote name='bs000']Akuma's Super and Ultra are the easiest to avoid despite being unblockable. I'm pretty positive that there are no moves that can combo into a raging demon so all you have to do is jump over it. And yes, it really is that easy. As soon as you see the animation for a raging demon start just hold up on the stick and you'll be able to avoid it. The startup animation takes like 1-2 seconds which is more than enough time to react.[/quote]
So you jump when he gets close to you? Or do you have to try to get to his opposite side while hes engulfed in the red aura?

^

right when he starts up (the cutscene like event)...if ure not attacking (if ure blocking just hold UP Forward or UP) you should be able to hop right over him.

it does hit u when ure in the middle of an attack. with bad players u can see them spamming jabs while far out of range. that is a good sign. better players jump in and do it almost at point blank (sweep range) but holding up seems to evade it just fine.

edit: if you are still having issues w/ it. Go to training, pick your character vs akuma. Go to Training options Full meters then Record. go do 2 raging demons. then put training options in playback and have fun hopping over ure test dummy.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='grndoom']So you jump when he gets close to you? Or do you have to try to get to his opposite side while hes engulfed in the red aura?[/quote]

I suppose it depends on how far away he is. If he's right in front of you just hold up the moment you see him execute it and you'll be able to avoid it. If he's almost an entire screen length away he can catch you on the landing so if he's far away just keep jumping backwards until he comes to a full stop. And at half a screen you can try to go straight up or jump to the other side of him.

Ok, thanks guys. I fought my first akuma minutes ago and he rocked me both times with the ultra/revenge I forget. Looking back, he was punching for no reason for a bit before the attack came out. I'll be ready next time.

^ just tested when walk up right next to akuma and block or not block. When the lightning cutscene starts and i hold up...he still wiffs the attack.

I finally beat that damned survival level 19 against vega, gouken, and seth with no specials. I didnt think i was going to win, but i got Dahlsims Super right at the last second on Seth and had like 5% power left. Wow. Then i finished Level 20 with Gief and beat it. :)

Enjoying this game so far. Just wish my internet wasn't out so I could play with you CAGers (Which is honestly the main reason I bought this game).

My main complaint though is Capcom, yet again, has no SD TV love. The challenge mode is next to impossible for me to read on my stranded def TV. I couldn't even see the Z on the joystiq to do Ryu's Dragon Punch for example. Least I can dig out the VGA adapter I snagged off Monoprice, but those without the option might wanna keep an eye out.

Just finished Trial Hard for bison. Got a new icon and title which is cool. I am sure its been mentioned but Trial Mode Achievement is for clearing w/ all characters. Which means you wont get the title or icon achievement until you do that.

Im gonna be so far from 1k cheesemints on this game its not even funny.

[quote name='RichMeisterMan']I whoop his ass the first round. Then 2nd and third rounds he obliterates me.

Fighting an ai opponent in a fighting game has to be the most unique frustrations in gaming. Getting mad at games is not something I do often, but I was getting straight up PISSED when I was fighting Seth. It a person whooped my ass that bad I wouldn't get pissed, it's weird.[/QUOTE]

Dude you are having trouble with Seth and yet you don't seem to have looked around for any info to make it easier. First off, you should really set it to 1 round when playing arcade mode, no matter what other objectives you have.

Secondly, you can beat him even on Very Hard by just spamming Zangief's spinning lariat move at every opportunity.

But when not playing with Zangief, the best strategy is to jump and high kick him, then follow up with a standing high kick or crouching high kick, then crouch and high kick again. Back off every now and then, and also try to kick him when he teleports. You'll still lose sometimes, but this is a strategy that anyone can do. You can also make it easier by setting the time limit to 30. Then you just have to damage him the most before time runs out, which is a little easier than knocking out his whole life bar before he kills you.

Finally, remember there are 2 difficulties below Easy....

[quote name='TruVisionary']I'm curious, who is the main character u all use? Abel is mine.[/quote]

Balrog on ranked. Otherwise Balrog, Zangief and Abel. I really like Abel.

For those still having problems with Seth, I posted this earlier.

[quote name='jdeluis']For those of you having trouble with Seth, make you do not play any online games before playing the arcade mode. So when you start the game go directly to arcade mode and ignore mulitplayer. If for any reason you play multiplayer and decide to go back into arcade, no matter what mode you are in Seth will default to hard mode. So make sure you exit to the dashboard after playing multiplayer and start the game up again to begain arcade mode.

I realized this after almost breaking my right hand on the joystick. Please let me know if this worked for any of you. :)[/quote]

[quote name='jdeluis']For those still having problems with Seth, I posted this earlier.[/quote]

That makes no sense, where do you get that info from?

Also, apparently there's a bug that you can just tap DF, DF + P (or K) for dragon punch moves.

Originally Posted by TruVisionary
I'm curious, who is the main character u all use? Abel is mine.

I switch between Cammy and Bison (although I'm not that great with either). If I'm gonna vary it up, I'll go with Balrog, Guile, and the wonder twins (Ryu/Ken). And if I want to be ambitious, Fei Long!

So I checked my play time and I've loggd 12 hours in about 5 days - That's just unheard of for me.

Makes me feel better about ordering higher grade parts for my SE stick

[quote name='TruVisionary']I'm curious, who is the main character u all use? Abel is mine.[/quote]

Right now i think mine is Sakura. I use her a lot and am the best with her.

[quote name='Mindzeye82']So I checked my play time and I've loggd 12 hours in about 5 days - That's just unheard of for me.

Makes me feel better about ordering higher grade parts for my SE stick[/quote]

I'm up to like 30 hours. I went to my friends and we had a SF4 man party. Was out til 5 am with 2 boxes and 4 joysticks hooked up.

[quote name='mike.m']I'm up to like 30 hours. I went to my friends and we had a SF4 man party. Was out til 5 am with 2 boxes and 4 joysticks hooked up.[/quote]
and you know, this explains why I can't find a single arcade stick...

[quote name='mike.m']That makes no sense, where do you get that info from?
[/quote]

Why not try it before saying it doesn't make sense. I found this myself.

[quote name='The Chop Suey']i havent read the thread so dont flame me lol but im debating between the 2 versions which to get...
whats your opinion and why?[/quote]

Define "versions", systems? 360, there's always a larger population.

[quote name='jdeluis']Why not try it before saying it doesn't make sense. I found this myself.[/quote]

Well first of all, you can simply use Zangief and his Double Lariat and beat the game on Hardest with no problems. Secondly, most people have already played online so there's no way you could test that theory. It makes no sense and really, there's no way to even prove that theory.

I use Ken.

I also drive the PCPD Special and use the chainsaw. Alot.

[quote name='TruVisionary']and you know, this explains why I can't find a single arcade stick...[/quote]

Only mine is a TE stick. The rest are customs made by my friend.

Bison for everything. When I play around w/ my friends I can use Honda, Chunkster & maybe Sagat.

[quote name='Mindzeye82']So I checked my play time and I've loggd 12 hours in about 5 days - That's just unheard of for me.
[/quote]

I took yesterday off and im clocked in at 33hours .<

Slowly working on everyones NORMAL Trial Modes. Chunksters was hella hard compared to Ryu&Ken.

[quote name='mike.m']Well first of all, you can simply use Zangief and his Double Lariat and beat the game on Hardest with no problems. Secondly, most people have already played online so there's no way you could test that theory. It makes no sense and really, there's no way to even prove that theory.[/quote]

Maybe you should read slower. It doesn't say to not play mulitplayer at all. It says not to play it when you start the game up.

But forget it, no point in trying to help.

Well, I just got the game today and it is awesome.

I tried out most of the characters and Abel is my favorite. I actually beat Seth on the first try with him, but it was only on "Easiest". :oops:

I can't wait for my FightPad to come.

Zangief like always. I'm trying to learn some of the new characters at the moment though.

[quote name='TruVisionary']I'm curious, who is the main character u all use? Abel is mine.[/QUOTE]

if its third strike...than its Ken...but since i want to try and main someone else for 4 it would have to Sagat/Dan

Uh...Sagat's third set of trials on normal - WTF is with the Medium Kick > Tiger Knee one? Every single time I follow up with the knee it is blocked no matter how fast I do it after the medium kick.

Oh on another note. And this is pure flip flop not to be taken that seriously but saw this on another board and it perked my interest. At this point in the game does Capcom really still need to put both Ken and Ryu in a game?

Akuma is Ryu real Rival now and no one really cares about the Ken/Ryu match ups anymore. Have Akuma kill Ken and have Ryu now full of revenge finally break that dawson creek will he wont he give into the dark side crap.

People who play as Ken should be just as effective with Ryu after little pratice. Plus kens overall storyline is boring.

Just a thought.

[quote name='Soodmeg']Oh on another note. And this is pure flip flop not to be taken that seriously but saw this on another board and it perked my interest. At this point in the game does Capcom really still need to put both Ken and Ryu in a game?

Akuma is Ryu real Rival now and no one really cares about the Ken/Ryu match ups anymore. Have Akuma kill Ken and have Ryu now full of revenge finally break that dawson creek will he wont he give into the dark side crap.

People who play as Ken should be just as effective with Ryu after little pratice. Plus kens overall storyline is boring.

Just a thought.[/quote]

They kinda do when they put them both on the box.

Just got my Real Arcade Pro EX. stick today. My first stick, though, so I'm fucking horrible with it. I've got a learning curve ahead of me before I'm able to play effectively with it.

[quote name='Pylis']Just got my Real Arcade Pro EX. stick today. My first stick, though, so I'm fucking horrible with it. I've got a learning curve ahead of me before I'm able to play effectively with it.[/quote]

My friend got one and he doesn't particularly like it. He's going to mod the buttons and joystick.

Cammy right now, maybe switching to Rose soon.

Can anyone here ever actually get into a match with the Quick Search in Ranked play? Every single time I've tried, it says the match can't be connected or has already been filled. I have no problem at all getting into matches if I host the lobby or play through Arcade with it searching...but most of the time I can't just Quick Search like I'd like to.

[quote name='Soodmeg']Oh on another note. And this is pure flip flop not to be taken that seriously but saw this on another board and it perked my interest. At this point in the game does Capcom really still need to put both Ken and Ryu in a game?

Just a thought.[/QUOTE]dang all u ken n ryu haters gotta shutup!!

I dont care who u use, if u suck then u suck, if u're good then u're good.

I use Ryu, not very well but I use him becoz I found a lot of tricks with him that I enjoy and thus I practice him in ranked battles. I lose a lot so technically I could be considered a scroto... I'm like 65% overall with Ryu.

but when I play Blanka I win 95% so what?!?!

and also, Ken and Ryu play rather differently. There are so many things you can do with one character that cannot be done with the other, and vice versa.

Originally Posted by Pylis
Just got my Real Arcade Pro EX. stick today. My first stick, though, so I'm ing horrible with it. I've got a learning curve ahead of me before I'm able to play effectively with it.

I was/am the same way. I still struggle with fireball/dragon punch motions, but I'm a demon with charge characters due to the stick. Keep at it!

Feel free to add me for some stick talk and matches (we can both stand on opposite ends of the screen and throw hard punches over and over instead of fireballs)

^
horrible. i think he is the worst in the game. Annoying to watch and play. Can't stand the guy. then again i only played him for arcade mode and his trials. im sure when u put some things together he becomes a tough opponent like any character.

I have a lot of fun using him. His running leaves him pretty defensless so you have to learn how to attack & avoid from that position. Since most of his moves stem from running it'll be your most used tactic. His moves tend to catch people off gaurd since nobody's used to fighting him, which helps me control the match.

The thing I like most are the way his grabs connect, by jumping on his opponent. The timing takes practice, but are super effective once mastered. Plus he's fuckin fast and annoying which frustrates people. I love it :)

What I dropped on you? When was it beacuse I am playing off and on right now with my cousin.

Who did you play as? Sorry about that then....rematch?

bread's done
Back