Street Fighter IV - Gen Discussion & Info

[quote name='Mindzeye82']I was/am the same way. I still struggle with fireball/dragon punch motions, but I'm a demon with charge characters due to the stick. Keep at it!

Feel free to add me for some stick talk and matches (we can both stand on opposite ends of the screen and throw hard punches over and over instead of fireballs)[/QUOTE]

Psh, that'd be hard kicks for me, bub (Cammy main). I'm getting better with the stick fairly rapidly, but I'm still not controlling the game the way I'd like. Thanks for the support--glad to hear I'm not the only one going through this learning curve. We should definitely play; it'll be less frustrating if we're both screwing up.

Anyway, I saw your post after I turned off the 360 (got work in the morning), but feel free to add Pylis to your list and we'll play/flail on the controllers like retards.

That, or I'll add you to my friends list tomorrow when I get back on.

[quote name='Soodmeg']Oh on another note. And this is pure flip flop not to be taken that seriously but saw this on another board and it perked my interest. At this point in the game does Capcom really still need to put both Ken and Ryu in a game?

Akuma is Ryu real Rival now and no one really cares about the Ken/Ryu match ups anymore. Have Akuma kill Ken and have Ryu now full of revenge finally break that dawson creek will he wont he give into the dark side crap.

People who play as Ken should be just as effective with Ryu after little pratice. Plus kens overall storyline is boring.

Just a thought.[/QUOTE]

God shut up. You come in here as a professed SF noob, then try to get in-depth about a FIGHTING game's storyline, then try to suggest that they remove one of the two most iconic characters in the series. Random thought or not, keep that dumb shit to yourself.

Go ride a bobsled.

What am I missing with these basic, entry level you-suck-if-you-can't-do-these total novice combo challenges? For fuck's sake, I can't even clear the third tier on normal because they block everything after the first move, and if they don't it doesn't register because I didn't do the combo fast enough.

Has anyone using the regular 360 pad pulled these off consistently?

So whats the deal with these icons? Is there a way of going about unlocking certain ones? Ive unlocked a Sakura one, maybe from using her and winning a few matches? Is there like a set theme you have to do to unlock them, ex. win 10 matches, win 3 with same character, anything?

What the fuck is wrong with you Panda? This isnt the OTT calm that shit down man.

Man, you guys get to up tight about things. Virtually every post in here is random, mine happened to be about the story. Just shake your head and let it go.

But, to keep the peace no more talk about the story line I guess. Have a red stripe Panda, on the house.

[quote name='The 7th Number']So whats the deal with these icons? Is there a way of going about unlocking certain ones? Ive unlocked a Sakura one, maybe from using her and winning a few matches? Is there like a set theme you have to do to unlock them, ex. win 10 matches, win 3 with same character, anything?[/quote]

I posted how to get everyone of them 4 post ago.

[quote name='KaneRobot']
Has anyone using the regular 360 pad pulled these off consistently?[/quote]
No, its a big hit-miss deal with the 360 controller. The 360 controller simply doesn't allow you to do certain things with enough accuracy. All we can do is wait for the next wave of sticks to be made.

Yes, The 360 pad although not perfect is effective. You will find yourself not registering moves all the time so at high levels of competition it will screw you but that shouldnt stop you from getting the game.

Also, I lost like 400 points today when my cousin and I were trading off. He was better than I thought but still lost a lot.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok, so I am trying to do some of the challenges and all is well until the 3rd round when I need to chain the attacks. Now I am not having problems pulling them off, it's that Dan always blocks the 2nd part of the attack! LIKE WTF?!

I also have trouble consistently pulling off the "=>Heavy Kick =>repeating kick " for chun-li I just can't get it done.

Help would be greatly appreciated!

EDIT: I got through the one I was stuck on with C. Viper, I guess you just have to be really quick about it, but now I am stuck on the one right after! Ugh!

[quote name='Spades22']Is it even worth renting/buying this game if you only have the 360 controller?[/quote]

Sure it's playable. The 360 controller won't be the best option, but its usable.

Speaking of 360 pads does anyone find it slightly difficult to do a down block when using the analog stick? I dont think it was just me because my cousin also complained about getting hit to often on sweeps.

[quote name='Aku']Enjoying this game so far. Just wish my internet wasn't out so I could play with you CAGers (Which is honestly the main reason I bought this game).

My main complaint though is Capcom, yet again, has no SD TV love. The challenge mode is next to impossible for me to read on my stranded def TV. I couldn't even see the Z on the joystiq to do Ryu's Dragon Punch for example. Least I can dig out the VGA adapter I snagged off Monoprice, but those without the option might wanna keep an eye out.[/quote]

Looks GREAT! on my SDTV

[quote name='Spades22']Is it even worth renting/buying this game if you only have the 360 controller?[/quote]
I dont have a stick or a fight pad, and I love the game.

Although I never played SF in arcades or use an arcade stick at home, and I am in the process of building my own.

[quote name='Soodmeg']Speaking of 360 pads does anyone find it slightly difficult to do a down block when using the analog stick? I dont think it was just me because my cousin also complained about getting hit to often on sweeps.[/QUOTE]

I found that my friend that uses the d-pad is better than me at blocking sweeps. Not sure if it is due to me using the analog to play though.

And I am a Shoto hater too. I face too many online and I can expect lots of fireballs and dragon punches.
And Sagat seems to be overpowered IMO, that guys reach is a whole life bar, his attacks take off more than any character it seems(like 2 hits and 1/2 your life is gone) and he recovers from attacks pretty fast. It may be because I use Cammy, but it takes way too much effort to bring him down. And that priority stuff someone was talking about earlier, I feel your pain. I can never win the kick-clash in the air.

Random question... for anybody that bought the CE version, was the soundtrack CD in the "The Tie That Binds" case and the "TTTB" movie in the game case? Just wondering if it was random w/ mine or if that was the normal way they shipped it.

For anyone who is really getting frustrated with the game I would suggest turning off that horrid theme song. I did this and I feel a lot less angry.

[quote name='Soodmeg']I posted how to get everyone of them 4 post ago.[/quote]

Wow so most of them are acquired by trials and not online play. Interesting. Thats what ive been doing lately.

Thanks!

[quote name='KaneRobot']What am I missing with these basic, entry level you-suck-if-you-can't-do-these total novice combo challenges? For fuck's sake, I can't even clear the third tier on normal because they block everything after the first move, and if they don't it doesn't register because I didn't do the combo fast enough.

Has anyone using the regular 360 pad pulled these off consistently?[/quote]

Level 3 of all the normal trials is about learning which attacks can be canceled. Some moves can be canceled in the middle of its animation with another attack resulting in a combo. After you do the first move you have to do the button combination for the next move in the middle of the animation to execute the next attack.

I'm using the 360 controller and can pull them off consistently. Still getting used to using the bumpers and triggers though. My TE stick can't come soon enough D:

[quote name='Megaten']Cammy right now, maybe switching to Rose soon.

Can anyone here ever actually get into a match with the Quick Search in Ranked play? Every single time I've tried, it says the match can't be connected or has already been filled. I have no problem at all getting into matches if I host the lobby or play through Arcade with it searching...but most of the time I can't just Quick Search like I'd like to.[/quote]

It's like that with all fighting games. There's only room for 1 other person in the lobby so chances are someone else joined while it was searching or while you were choosing a game to join.

I like turning on requests in arcade mode. I have something to do while I wait and usually people turn up pretty quickly. And if no one joins after you've defeated a character it'll join someone elses game before the next match starts. Neato!

[quote name='whataboutbob?']Random question... for anybody that bought the CE version, was the soundtrack CD in the "The Tie That Binds" case and the "TTTB" movie in the game case? Just wondering if it was random w/ mine or if that was the normal way they shipped it.[/quote]

Yea the soundtrack was in the movie case and the movie was in the game case. I put in the disc from the movie case without looking and I was liek wtf? :lol:

For anyone having trouble getting Akuma/Gouken

If you up mess getting a Perfect or Ultra, and you have a second controller in. Press start on it then just win it.
Must be done before a KO of course.

It will not count against your perfects/ultras/continues

[quote name='Soodmeg']Oh on another note. And this is pure flip flop not to be taken that seriously but saw this on another board and it perked my interest. At this point in the game does Capcom really still need to put both Ken and Ryu in a game?

Akuma is Ryu real Rival now and no one really cares about the Ken/Ryu match ups anymore. Have Akuma kill Ken and have Ryu now full of revenge finally break that dawson creek will he wont he give into the dark side crap.

People who play as Ken should be just as effective with Ryu after little pratice. Plus kens overall storyline is boring.

Just a thought.[/QUOTE]

I love Ken. He is has been my main since SF II and is still my main now...but i want to learn Sagat/Dan so he is in the backpack for now.

You should know they both can be played the same..but they both can be played real different also. I see Ryu as more traditional but with strong two hit combos like down Mk-hurricane or standing fierce-Shoryuken. I love using ken becuase he pokes so well with his kick and he mix up his kicks and throws. also he should be effective because of his Mp-Hp link combo. I dont know why i dont see more players use it. It was devastating in third strike and it can be too here...except the fact that his close mp isnt as fast as it was in third strike. But they are two different games. Basically, you can play them the same if you want...but if you meet a good player...he wont stick to fireballs or shoryukens. I can see mad ticking,throwing, and mix ups.

[quote name='JEKKI']dang all u ken n ryu haters gotta shutup!!

I dont care who u use, if u suck then u suck, if u're good then u're good.

I use Ryu, not very well but I use him becoz I found a lot of tricks with him that I enjoy and thus I practice him in ranked battles. I lose a lot so technically I could be considered a scroto... I'm like 65% overall with Ryu.

but when I play Blanka I win 95% so what?!?!

and also, Ken and Ryu play rather differently. There are so many things you can do with one character that cannot be done with the other, and vice versa.[/QUOTE]

Jekki said it all.

I think some people forget about Third Strike and how TOTALLY different Ken and Ryu were. I just htink that the caliber of players online who stick to ken and ryu have only played the classics and stopped there. so i want to take a guess thats why one sees jump HK to sweep. its back to basics and thats what this game is IMHO that is easy to learn but hard to master.

Im doing Sakura Trails hard level 3. Its...

Jump - HP
Crouch - LP
Crouch - HP
Light Shunpukyaku
LK
Heavy Shouoken

I got this down till the light kick after the light Shunpukyaku. The light kick never seems to connect. How the hell do you do it? I cant be not doing it fast enough because i set that button to turbo. I wish this training mode would be a little more helpful. There are other moves with other characters that i cant do and i really dont know what the problem is.

[quote name='Soodmeg']Speaking of 360 pads does anyone find it slightly difficult to do a down block when using the analog stick? I dont think it was just me because my cousin also complained about getting hit to often on sweeps.[/quote]

I actually use the analog stick on the 360 controller for all my SF4 and HDR play. DownBack is more towards down then I would like it to be. The area that is "Back" 7-10aclock. If that makes any sense. a little wide and takes a bit to get used to. Day 1 I thought j.HK>c.HK for Ken was broken since i was standing there holding back and getting whooped. Just needed to learn how to block low

GGs blitz6speed.

FYI, learn how to dash cancel after a succesful focus attack,

if you did focus attack, dash cance, ultra with Fei, u woulda hit the entire Ultra animation.

without the dash, u only got like 3 weak hits.

my Ryu got pwned... still needa get him better

[quote name='naiku']

I have an old X-arcade(i know lol) with all happ comp parts. Just need to buy a controller and a few parts to get a decent stick for the 360. Hopefully maybe before middle of march ill have a stick built for this game. Anyone use a Happ/iL stick? I used it mostly for MvC2 & SC2 competitive play. Never was much into street fighter(4-5years ago) so I dont know how well that stick is for the charge&dp motions. Any input is greatly appreciated.

[/QUOTE]

I'm playing the game on a custom stick w/ Happ comp stick and pushbuttons and let me tell you, It plays like a dream. Charge and circle moves are a piece of cake. I was at my cousin's house not knowing that he had picked up the game and started playing on a pad and It was so frustrating not being able to pull of supers and ultras at will. Whereas with the stick I'm in total control of my character.

[quote name='mike.m']My friend got one and he doesn't particularly like it. He's going to mod the buttons and joystick.[/QUOTE]

To what? It's already a Sanwa JLF and I don't think anything else can fit in there without changing out the mounting plate which is going to be a pain in the ass.

[quote name='amusedtoe']To what? It's already a Sanwa JLF and I don't think anything else can fit in there without changing out the mounting plate which is going to be a pain in the ass.[/quote]

Are you talking about the SE or TE. SE is all madcats wannabe jap parts. TE is all sanwa. There is a great 8 part video from SRK taking apart the TE and explaining mods and swaps that are possible for TE & SE.

Part 1 of 8. watch it if you want to know anythign about modding your stick. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WMIxXgL0eNU

@-GoodFella- Awesome man. Im gonna have to definitely buy some powertools & MDF to make a stick then.

Also Bison Icons in case anyone cares.
http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s35/naiku/icons-bison.jpg

[quote name='amusedtoe']He was saying his friend doesn't like his HRAP EX and doesn't like it so was going to mod it.[/quote]

I've got a friend who makes custom joysticks. He can change the stick and buttons out.

Is it just me or does anyone else think it should be a way to use your revenge meter attack to counter another players revenge meter attack?

Not so much in terms or hitting the other opponent but in terms or dodging or limited the amount of damage done by their attack.

[quote name='amusedtoe']To what? It's already a Sanwa JLF and I don't think anything else can fit in there without changing out the mounting plate which is going to be a pain in the ass.[/QUOTE]

Well, you can put a Seimitsu LS-32-01 in there, install a bat-top, add an extra spring, etc... Plenty of stuff.

Alright so I am taking an entirely new approach to Blanka and seeing if that works. I still find it damn hard to work in some of his moves though.

He has a move that I have been working hard to incorporate but the thing seems almost worthless. By pressing forward + KKK he does a quick jump both forward and back. But it cant jump through fireballs or any actually attacks (unlike Ables roll)

I thought about maybe being able to jump on the otherside of a fallen opponent like a crossup but I found out that you instantly turn to face your opponent even before you get up.

Any Blanka players here know what the move is good for?

[quote name='PhilESkyline']Is it just me or does anyone else think it should be a way to use your revenge meter attack to counter another players revenge meter attack?

Not so much in terms or hitting the other opponent but in terms or dodging or limited the amount of damage done by their attack.[/QUOTE]

Well considering you can block most of the ultras and the rest you can very easily jump over unless they're canceled into that's kind of moot. But you can pull off your ultra between the time they launch theirs and it hits you if you're not right up on them. Been K.O.'d plenty of times when my foot was about to connect with some Ryu's head and I got ultra fireballed.

[quote name='Soodmeg']He has a move that I have been working hard to incorporate but the thing seems almost worthless. By pressing forward + KKK he does a quick jump both forward and back. But it cant jump through fireballs or any actually attacks (unlike Ables roll)

Any Blanka players here know what the move is good for?[/QUOTE]

Well that used to be a bread and butter thing for Blanka. You were able to go through some projectiles and through players. Mainly was used to get you into face bite range since Blanka had a huge range on his throw. So maybe you'd hit them with a Blanka Ball, hop back in and start biting. Now the throw game is so different and his face bite isn't what it once was so I doubt that's a super viable strategy.

Plus that will not work against shotos beacuse most have a instant shiruken. I have learned to only step in slightly and back out when a shoto is on the ground because other wise its not worth it.

The only time I ever seem to use it is when I just want to switch sides.

Maybe if I get high enough in training it will teach me something.

Am I the only one that finds it incredibly difficult to role down and to the left on the joy stick twice in a row to do some characters' ultra/super combos (i.e. Ryu, Ken, C. Viper etc.)? My thumb just does not allow me to move it like that consistently. It's odd feeling going to right even. I can pull off rolling once to either, but when playing I find that I just swirl the stick in the direction it needs to go and hope for the best.

It almost makes an arcade a necessity.

[quote name='Soodmeg']

He has a move that I have been working hard to incorporate but the thing seems almost worthless. By pressing forward + KKK he does a quick jump both forward and back. But it cant jump through fireballs or any actually attacks (unlike Ables roll)

[/quote]

Are you talking about his hop back/forward or the one that switches sides(not sure if its the same move)? The hop back/forward is great for evading a crossup. Once u see someone jumping in on u for a crossup, just hop back. (sim can tele, so can bison) normally annoys people and keeps u safe.

Example- Ryu outside of sweep range jumps up in the air. Looks like he is gonna jump kick u then sweep like a douche. U hop back Holding back to charge up ure attack. When he lands u press forward + p and go bananas on him.

[quote name='RichMeisterMan']Am I the only one that finds it incredibly difficult to role down and to the left on the joy stick twice in a row to do some characters' ultra/super combos (i.e. Ryu, Ken, C. Viper etc.)? My thumb just does not allow me to move it like that consistently. It's odd feeling going to right even. I can pull off rolling once to either, but when playing I find that I just swirl the stick in the direction it needs to go and hope for the best.

It almost makes an arcade a necessity.[/quote]

Kinda, not really. Its not that I feel uncomfortable its just that half the time it simply doesnt register. I dont know but I am not dropping 120 on a damn arcade stick. I would trade this boy in before I would ever buy a controller for that much. Unless of course you are a avid fighting fan.

[quote name='naiku']Are you talking about his hop back/forward or the one that switches sides(not sure if its the same move)? The hop back/forward is great for evading a crossup. Once u see someone jumping in on u for a crossup, just hop back. (sim can tele, so can bison) normally annoys people and keeps u safe.

Example- Ryu outside of sweep range jumps up in the air. Looks like he is gonna jump kick u then sweep like a douche. U hop back Holding back to charge up ure attack. When he lands u press forward + p and go bananas on him.[/quote]

Yeah I see what you mean but it far better to just hit them out of the air. The air ball is nasty for anyone who thinks they can jump around the stage. Although what you are saying is a decent tactic but I think blanka 2 hit anti air combo is a little better.

Plus again you run into the same thing against shotos instant shiruken which has far more priority than the death ball. Now if the guys isnt paying attenion than you can get them but most shotos will shiruken the very second their feet touch the ground and it will overrid anything blanka can do. So its far safer to just smash them out of the air then fake the run in so they shiruken when they get up and grab them on the way down.

YES i beat level 14 timed with Sakura, thats the one with 12 opponents and you cant use special moves. Did it quite easy really. Then i finished the rest off with Gief! So both timed and survival normal are finished.

^
Grats man! I am having problems finishing up both survial and time attack. Im on 13 & 15 respectively. Whats the Gief strat I keep hearing about. Is it just spamming lariet and grabs?

[quote name='naiku']^
Grats man! I am having problems finishing up both survial and time attack. Im on 13 & 15 respectively. Whats the Gief strat I keep hearing about. Is it just spamming lariet and grabs?[/quote]

Just keep using LB and forward. He is like a tornado!

The only one that gives me problems with Gief is Cammy cos her moves attack his lower legs.

[quote name='naiku']What is LB? Is that the Quick Lariet (LK+MK+HK)? My LB is mapped to medium punch :/[/quote]

I never tried the Quick Lariat, but the strat is supposed to be the Double Lariat. I don't know if its a timing issue or not, but the computer usually blocks and gets hit or tries to parry and takes damage from it.

[quote name='naiku']What is LB? Is that the Quick Lariet (LK+MK+HK)? My LB is mapped to medium punch :/[/quote]

Sorry its all 3 Punch Buttons.

[quote name='sendme']What is this that I keep reading about a second controller and arcade mode?[/quote]

Never heard of this.... whats it supposed to do?

just got my madcats tournament edition stick and akuma fightpad in today... The prices on ebay are making me question whether i should open them or sell them...

fuck..i've been waiting for these because i hate the 360 pad... I'm probably going to open the stick since i'm sure i can sell it at anytime in the future for at least the $150 i paid for it. The akuma pad however seems to be the rarest one and is going for like $150+. Also madcats said they were gonna make some more pads down the road.....

should i sell the akuma pad now and buy another for my brother later on (my bro wants to use the pad) or just open em and enjoy them. I'm not broke right now, nor will i ever be (i'm a good saver) so the money aint even a thing really, but 375% profit is some easy ass money for sure.

Eh I could sell my current stick and either of the 2 on a preorder I have, but I'd much rather get the use out of it and make sure my 2 best friends get sticks. These are the best sticks I've ever used and I don't know how I'd go without it.

[quote name='sleepy180']

should i sell the akuma pad now and buy another for my brother later on (my bro wants to use the pad) or just open em and enjoy them. I'm not broke right now, nor will i ever be (i'm a good saver) so the money aint even a thing really, but 375% profit is some easy ass money for sure.[/quote]

If money isn't an issue, then don't make your brother use the regular 360 controller while you use the TE stick. That just aint right. :lol:

bread's done
Back