Street Fighter IV - Gen Discussion & Info

doublepost, but w/e

I am completely fed up with the ridiculous amounts of players in championship mode who use turbo. I'm really sick of screwing up a linking attack only to get an ultra to the face. Sure, some people are just that good, but this has happened to me at least 20 times TODAY.

Ultra in between links isn't that hard.

If I'm getting screwed by a combo, I start spamming the ultra motion until (hopefully) a moment of opportunity arises.

But, you're right. Tons of people using turbo. I'm not sure why MadCatz chose to include it.

I don't think the majority of people spazzing out ultras are using turbo. So many people just do random desperate ultras online cause they don't know how to juggle into it. It sucks when it actually works on you. I pretty much expect it now so whenever I see they have ultra I bait/wait for them to spaz one out and punish accordingly. Like even after a knockdown I just start walking towards them and they think I'm gonna do something so they think it's time for a wakeup ultra. Try hitting some easy lp/lk chains then just go neutral after 2 or 3 hits and wait for the ultra :p

And theeeen I played against a guy in G1 in a free championship. I guess he couldn't find anyone to play against in G1. I don't know if he wasn't trying or what but I got him down to a sliver of health in the third round and then I lost :(

[quote name='theloserboy']Yeah, I was trying to go extra hard on you to punish your mistakes (ultra vs ultra), but i screwed up a lot so you got away with a few of them (lol chun li). And yeah, you got good with viper really fast. It was obvious that you were testing her out the first round, but you beat me quite a few times with her. Also bison is my favorite.[/quote]

Yeah I kind of noticed that. You seemed to take it easy on me towards the end though; thought I was that bad eh? I was forcing a lot of ultras (especially with Dan) just because I wanted to land one. Not the best strat, I know

That C. Viper vs. Chun-Li battle was epic IMO. We'll definitely have to play again; send me a PM/invite if you ever want to play. I should be free to play later on tonight.

Oh, what do you use to play? I use a wired 360 pad :whistle2:#

You guys are probably right about the link ultra thing, Just never really thought about it since I always use blanka or bison in championship mode, so i cant exactly just spam my ultra in the middle of a combo. Still, almost every balrog i've run into has been able to do about 10+ hits in a single combo. I seriously doubt that all of those guys were just that good and could combo several links.

[quote name='lolwut?']Yeah I kind of noticed that. You seemed to take it easy on me towards the end though; thought I was that bad eh? I was forcing a lot of ultras (especially with Dan) just because I wanted to land one. Not the best strat, I know

That C. Viper vs. Chun-Li battle was epic IMO. We'll definitely have to play again; send me a PM/invite if you ever want to play. I should be free to play later on tonight.

Oh, what do you use to play? I use a wired 360 pad :whistle2:#[/quote]

The only people I ever go easy on are my co-workers, because they'll ragequit if i go all out. I was just screwing up more and more as our fights went on.

If I see you on tonight, I'll make sure to send an invite over. And right now I'm currently using a wireless 360 controller, but hopefully I'll be getting an SE fightstick. Won't be using it for a few months though since I'm going to mod the parts.

On another note, I really wish there were lobbies that can hold more than 2 people. We could have mini brawls between cags all the time.

[quote name='bs000']

And theeeen I played against a guy in G1 in a free championship. I guess he couldn't find anyone to play against in G1. I don't know if he wasn't trying or what but I got him down to a sliver of health in the third round and then I lost :([/quote]

what rank are you in? I'm still stuck in G3-A because I grow tired of playing zangief and sagat and only getting 80 points for winning a tourney.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm G2-D with 3100 GP. I don't know how all these scrubby Kens have more GP than me. I played against 2 SHORYUKEN Kens and I didn't have to do much to win. Some others just won't stop hopping like bunnies so I just jumping HK -> EX snake strike 3 times and win lol. And one had 5000GP and wouldn't stop jumping backwards. And I'm liek stop runningggg I'm tired of chasing you. So I got a few hits early next round and stayed on the other side of the screen. That was fun.

Most good players won't do 10+ hit combos just because of the massive damage scaling when doing combos...especially not Rogs.

At the most maybe 7 hits using his EX upper loop (which is honestly just used as flash)-- other than that bread and butter is about 4 hit to Ultra combo with Rog. C.lp C.lp C. lk xx headbutt. -- Juggle Ultra if you have it.

Turbo I don't think would help all that much...maybe to mash out of block strings. Just work on your timing and they won't be able to mash out, turbo or not.

[quote name='JDMxB']Most good players won't do 10+ hit combos just because of the massive damage scaling when doing combos...especially not Rogs.

At the most maybe 7 hits using his EX upper loop (which is honestly just used as flash)-- other than that bread and butter is about 4 hit to Ultra combo with Rog. C.lp C.lp C. lk xx headbutt. -- Juggle Ultra if you have it.

Turbo I don't think would help all that much...maybe to mash out of block strings. Just work on your timing and they won't be able to mash out, turbo or not.[/QUOTE]

Turbo helps immensely with linking attacks in combos, basically always guaranteeing that you complete a combo uninterrupted. And now that I learned to look out for random ultras, I think my game's improved a lot. Although I still have huge problems against Blankas, feurtes and vegas when I play as bison.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pj__9iY8k1Y&feature=related

[quote name='theloserboy']Turbo helps immensely with linking attacks in combos, basically always guaranteeing that you complete a combo uninterrupted. And now that I learned to look out for random ultras, I think my game's improved a lot. Although I still have huge problems against Blankas, feurtes and vegas when I play as bison.[/QUOTE]

What was that video? Was it a replay?

[quote name='bs000']New personal best of 53,000 CP! And then theloserboy beats me with 57,000 fresh out of G3 :([/QUOTE]

If it makes you feel any better every single person in that tourney was a Sagat. All Sagat's who didn't know that bison's jumping hard punch beats out their high kick.

And yeah, thats a replay. WTF at the mass amounts of button spam.

10 hard trials left. Viper 3 is killing me. So is Gen 5. And Abel 5. And Fuerte 4. And Ken 5. And Gouken 4. How are you supposed FADC Goukens tatsu to ultra when it barely launches them off the ground D:

What's a good price for this game if I just want a laid back fighting experience that I play every once in a while? I'm guessing $20 judging from all the things I've seen. I can wait.

[quote name='sotc1988']What's a good price for this game if I just want a laid back fighting experience that I play every once in a while? I'm guessing $20 judging from all the things I've seen. I can wait.[/QUOTE]

Huh? no one can tell you how much a game is worth to you except yourself. If you want laid back though, i hope you have some friends that also play the game casually or you enjoy playing the AI, because sfiv can be rather frustrating at times if you aren't a hardcore player.

Speaking of frustrating, I got my SE stick and its driving me CRAZY. The first day i couldn't even do charge specials, although its stupidly easy to do a shoryuken now. I'm still having major problems doing Bison's ultra juggle.

My TE stick should be here today. I fully expect to be worse than usual at first while I adjust to the new style. Hopefully I'll come out ahead of where I used to be after I get used to it...don't see how that won't happen, since the 360's d-pad is so piss-poor.

[quote name='theloserboy']Huh? no one can tell you how much a game is worth to you except yourself. If you want laid back though, i hope you have some friends that also play the game casually or you enjoy playing the AI, because sfiv can be rather frustrating at times if you aren't a hardcore player.

Speaking of frustrating, I got my SE stick and its driving me CRAZY. The first day i couldn't even do charge specials, although its stupidly easy to do a shoryuken now. I'm still having major problems doing Bison's ultra juggle.[/QUOTE]

Time to order some fancy Sanwa parts along with a octagon gate! :bouncy:

And 5 hard trials left. Viper 5, Gen 5, Abel 5, Fuerte 4-5. It's going to unlock like 5 acheivements at the same time when/if I finally finish them off :drool:

Octo gate won't help too much with charge characters. But yes on the Sanwa parts. Makes a mediocre stick into a real good one.

If you haven't played in an arcade, it will take you awhile to get used to going from pad to stick. Luckily here in socal we have 3-4 arcades packed with people that are beastly at SF4, so I get my ass handed to me in person! Best advice is just keep at it, give it a few weeks and it will be second nature.

[quote name='JDMxB']Octo gate won't help too much with charge characters. But yes on the Sanwa parts. Makes a mediocre stick into a real good one.

If you haven't played in an arcade, it will take you awhile to get used to going from pad to stick. Luckily here in socal we have 3-4 arcades packed with people that are beastly at SF4, so I get my ass handed to me in person! Best advice is just keep at it, give it a few weeks and it will be second nature.[/QUOTE]

I frequent the super arcade over in walnut, and i'm going to start going to Arcade Infinity. the thing is, I can do charge moves easy on the arcade sticks there, and they have square gates, so I really don't understand why im having such a tough time. And my custom parts are coming soon, so i'll see what kind of a difference it will make.

[quote name='bs000']10 hard trials left. Viper 3 is killing me. So is Gen 5. And Abel 5. And Fuerte 4. And Ken 5. And Gouken 4. How are you supposed FADC Goukens tatsu to ultra when it barely launches them off the ground D:[/QUOTE]

After the dash they end up behind him, do the ultra then.

I'm stuck on viper 5 foreverrrrr

edit:// annnnd finished! I did the ultra too early then I did it too late then I managed to spaz it out eventually. Onwards! Abel 5! Gen 5! Fuerte 4!

Abel 5? how did you even get past #2? I cant for the life of me connect his forward kick to his hard punch after dashing.

Also, I really really wish bison had some sort of close up anti-air. Rufus' dive kick really sucks at close range. >=(

anyone noticing an influx of frustrated noobs now? if you beat them the first round, they will do the cheapest thing possible over and over again until they win or until you punish them.

[quote name='_Ph03n1x_']anyone noticing an influx of frustrated noobs now? if you beat them the first round, they will do the cheapest thing possible over and over again until they win or until you punish them.[/QUOTE]

Kind of. This guy i beat about 5 times in a row picked abel when i was gief, and all he did was his wheel kick. I have no idea how to counter that as gief, so he ended up winning. Of course, just to spite me he also leaves right after he wins.

[quote name='_Ph03n1x_']anyone noticing an influx of frustrated noobs now? if you beat them the first round, they will do the cheapest thing possible over and over again until they win or until you punish them.[/QUOTE]

Yeah dude you'd hate playing against me then. I would do the same things over and over again until you prove you could stop it.

When I play, all the 'ethics' are out the window if I'm playing against random people, not friends on my list or my real life friends.

[quote name='theloserboy']Abel 5? how did you even get past #2? I cant for the life of me connect his forward kick to his hard punch after dashing.

Also, I really really wish bison had some sort of close up anti-air. Rufus' dive kick really sucks at close range. >=([/QUOTE]

In hard 5 you have to do that twice. Just imagine what that's like if you can't even do it one time :p

[quote name='mike.m']When I play, all the 'ethics' are out the window if I'm playing against random people, not friends on my list or my real life friends.[/QUOTE]

Doing said thing to your friends either makes them better at the game since they're forced to learn how to counter cheese tactics, or it makes them quit. None of my real life friends will play me sfiv anymore.

[quote name='Strider Turbulence']Yeah dude you'd hate playing against me then. I would do the same things over and over again until you prove you could stop it.[/QUOTE]
thanks for the warning lol.

Can anyone who has the collectors edition tell me where I find the voucher to download the costume pack? I'm not seeing anything in the box?

[quote name='bs000']In the case for the movie there's a little sheet of paper with the code on it.[/QUOTE]

Ahh. The one thing I didn't open.

Thanks!

[quote name='theloserboy']anyone else HATE playing against ryu or sagat? they're the only two characters that I can't beat very often. And I always end up facing them at the worst possible times, like when I'm about to bank 80k in CP if I win the tourney. shoryuken > ultra / tiger uppercut > roundhouse > roundhouse > ultra FTL.

vid unrelated.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eck_jO_QwBU&feature=related[/QUOTE]

Not really. Because of how many people that play them, I would say they are the easiest for me to beat. Interesting video, I wonder how many people I've played that use autofire.

If people spam button its so easy to get them with ultras/supers/ and combos. I love it when people spam its a much quicker fight.

Ugh, I hate some of the challenges. Bison, who I like the most now, is giving me trouble. The Supers and Ultras (B-F-B-F) I have a hard time doing at the end of a five move combo

Anyway, if anyone wants to play, send me a friend request with "CAG" in the subject.

I did more than half the hard trials using the 360 controller before I could get my hands on a stick. The rest I did on stick but it wasn't any easier because I'm too inept to double tap links. The no stick thing just seems like an easy excuse for people :p.

And what do you mean clean? If I'm tossing fireballs and you're just going to sit there and eat them then I'm going to keep doing it :D

[quote name='bs000']If I'm tossing fireballs and you're just going to sit there and eat them then I'm going to keep doing it[/QUOTE]

Heh, I sometimes let people do that to about 50% health before I fight back for fun.

[quote name='Jimbo Slice']Buy a fightpad or a stick then.
smile7.jpg
[/QUOTE]
Aren't they like 50-70 bucks? This is Cheap Ass Gamer, you know. :D

Hey, I haven't picked up this game for a little while. Mainly, I was getting bored of arcade/offline play, and was absolutely getting served online by way more skilled players. I would like to pick it back up and try to get better. Even if it means occassionally getting schooled, I'd like to walk away getting a little better, something that's not happening with the random matchups.

If you're leaning beginner or just trying to start up with a new character, send me a friend request with "CAG" in the invite.
Gamertag: Kracka McKracka

[quote name='RiCeBo1']Can someone recommend a stick? I don't want to pay $150 for a TE[/QUOTE]

Get the SE for $80 them mod it later if it is something you are more serious about? Either way, the SE is pretty good stock.

[quote name='BackInBlack']Get the SE for $80 them mod it later if it is something you are more serious about? Either way, the SE is pretty good stock.[/QUOTE]

Is it really? I've heard otherwise

[quote name='RiCeBo1']Is it really? I've heard otherwise[/QUOTE]

After touching a TE, you'd think otherwise.
Today I cleaned my friends SE(sticky buttons from juice) and I lost a little BB that belongs inside of the button. The button fell apart when I was taking off the Quick disconnect.
I replaced the 2 buttons (FP, HK) with 2 Sanwas. He immediately felt the difference.

The SE is a great stick on it's own if you never played with a stick before. But after you felt the real deal then you'd want the real deal. I been through a few stick on the 360 and I felt the differences between all of them up to the superior TE stick.

Also mod-ability wise the SE and TE gots it. It's so easy a cave man can do it.
You can also get TE from Capcom with the 10% coupon for about $135 shipped. About as much as modding an SE with the same quality buttons.

Get what you think you deserve. If you enjoy fighting games then a TE stick is without question. I enjoy my TE stick way too much. It was worth every dollar, period(.)

bread's done
Back