Sugar Cane Coke available

Ikohn4ever

CAGiversary!
Feedback
5 (100%)
I don't know if many people here care, but Passover is going on, which means there is a limited amount of Kosher for Passover Coke, which has sugar cane in it instead of High Fructose Corn Syrup. Its a two liter bottle with a yellow cap. You will most likely find this near areas with larger Jewish communities. Enjoy your corn free drink.

[quote name='doho7744']Here in AZ you can get mexican coke (with sugar) at food city, its teh best.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, when I lived in Texas it was easy to get that stuff. It tastes way better.

Sounds like some tasty diabetes in a can.

I try to stay away from sugar. One, I have a nasty sweet tooth, and love sweets. Two, I love my teeth and general health.

But man, once in a while, I just chomp down a bunch of Devil's Food cookies. Delicious.

As I get older, I just don't much care for food overloaded with sugar anymore. Like chocolate cake with chocolate frosting. I'd rather have a bagel with cream cheese and strawberry jelly.

[quote name='chasemurata']Sounds like some tasty diabetes in a can.

I try to stay away from sugar. One, I have a nasty sweet tooth, and love sweets. Two, I love my teeth and general health.

But man, once in a while, I just chomp down a bunch of Devil's Food cookies. Delicious.[/QUOTE]

If you're going to drink coke, then the one actually made from sugar is a lot better for you than high fructose corn syrup.

If you cant find that, just look for Jones Soda (Pure Sugar Cane), very easy to find, I love that stuff, ROOT BEER, Cream Soda rocks, its very hard to go back to the old stuff, this just taste clean and crisp

[quote name='chasemurata']Sounds like some tasty diabetes in a can.

But man, once in a while, I just chomp down a bunch of Devil's Food cookies. Delicious.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='munch']If you're going to drink coke, then the one actually made from sugar is a lot better for you than high fructose corn syrup.[/QUOTE]

munch is correct. plus it tastes better. corn syrup is shit.

I might try it. I've been trying to stay away from HFCS (nigh impossible in the US, though), and have greatly cut down, but every once in a while, I miss soda. I tried Jones and some other cane sugar sodas, only to see they use 3x as much sugar just to get halfway sweet, and the flavors are off.

Never mind, I'll stick to tea.

Jones is good, but they all have a flavor or taste to them that is common between the varieties. I find the fufu berry in bottles to be mild to it... and an unique drink in itself.

WHy can't you/we drink coke? It's not leavened bread so why can't we eat it?

Also, how about "wraps", like you'd get at subway, they don't "rise" so can we eat them?

[quote name='bmachine']Thanks for settling that ages-old debate. :applause:[/quote]

It's what I do. For the record, anything > aspartame.

[quote name='pittpizza']WHy can't you/we drink coke? It's not leavened bread so why can't we eat it?

Also, how about "wraps", like you'd get at subway, they don't "rise" so can we eat them?[/quote]
I think that has already been answered. It's the corn. For many Jews, corn is forbidden on Pesach. That is why this version spoken of has sugar cane and is therefore kosher.

Torah forbids chametz. The inclusion of corn (and many other things) as forbidden is mainly an Ashkenazi practice and found in Mishna. Some reasons are that it is harvested, processed and ground into flour in a similar manner to chametz. So people might think it was okay to eat chametz if they eat some of these other grains/beans. Also, many plants process both types of food, so there is no guarantee that you aren't eating chametz if you eat corn products.

About the wraps, it depends on what's in them.

you can also get it in a can, just look for the KforP mark near the ingredients. I used to date a Jewish girl and we'd buy it by the case at Kosher Cajun right before Passover.

I know everyone likes Coke, but Walgreen's Deerfield Farms (I think) has great tasting Black Cherry, Cream, Strawberry Cream, Orange Cream, and Root Beer sodas all made with real sugar.

[quote name='pittpizza']WHy can't you/we drink coke? It's not leavened bread so why can't we eat it?

Also, how about "wraps", like you'd get at subway, they don't "rise" so can we eat them?[/quote]

Rabbi Geffen found that one of the ingredients - glycerin - was made from beef tallow. This made the drink unkosher.
A second problem existed as well...Coca Cola contains trace amounts of alcohol derived from the grain products used to sweeten the beverage, in this case, Corn. Since anything derived from grains is not allowable, this too made Coke unkosher.

Coca-Cola executives decided to produce a Coke that was Kosher for the Jewish community. The glycerin is made from vegetable products and the sweetner comes from Sugar beets and Sugar Cane. In today's formula, all of the impurities that typically come with the beets and cane have been removed, and the ingredient added is simply sucrose.

It's really only German jews that can't have corn on passover. German jews make up the majority of the jewish population in the US. It's more of a tradition of jews form that area of the world than the jewish people as whole. At least thats how i understand it.

[quote name='GuilewasNK']I know everyone likes Coke, but Walgreen's Deerfield Farms (I think) has great tasting Black Cherry, Cream, Strawberry Cream, Orange Cream, and Root Beer sodas all made with real sugar.[/quote]
I LOVE that stuff, comes in big bottles and is fairly cheap. The root beer and cherry is the best.

[quote name='JolietJake']I LOVE that stuff, comes in big bottles and is fairly cheap. The root beer and cherry is the best.[/quote]

Yep. I discovered it by chance about amonth ago. I never shopped in Walgreen's so I went in just to look around. Tried the Black Cherry and I was hooked. The aroma from the Black Cherry soda is perfect. I just get the 16 oz bottles.

I got a lot back when they had a sale a while ago. Forgot what the sale was, bu i got probably 6 bottles of root beer/cherry.

[quote name='munch']If you're going to drink coke, then the one actually made from sugar is a lot better for you than high fructose corn syrup.[/quote]

And I still can't believe because don't know that.

If you want to be healthy don't drink any soda at all, none. Corn shit is harder for the body to break done the connections in than sugar.

mexican sprite tates much better than american sprite.

Can someone explain the whole kosher thing to me. What is it. Whats it for. i am being serious.

There's Kosher, and then there's Kosher for Passover, which is even more restrictive.

Not all Jews keep kosher, though.

[quote name='MorPhiend']I think that has already been answered. It's the corn. For many Jews, corn is forbidden on Pesach. That is why this version spoken of has sugar cane and is therefore kosher.

Torah forbids chametz. The inclusion of corn (and many other things) as forbidden is mainly an Ashkenazi practice and found in Mishna. Some reasons are that it is harvested, processed and ground into flour in a similar manner to chametz. So people might think it was okay to eat chametz if they eat some of these other grains/beans. Also, many plants process both types of food, so there is no guarantee that you aren't eating chametz if you eat corn products.[/quote]
My understanding of it is that it's impossible (or at least impractical) for a manufacturer to guarantee that absolutely NO fermentation occurs during the storage and processing of the corn that goes into corn syrup. Since grain alcohol is not KFP (Kosher for Passover) and it can't be guaranteed that corn syrup is 0.000% grain alcohol, the only way to have KFP coke is with cane sugar.

bread's done
Back