Super Mario 3D All Stars (Physical) up for preorder

imagine if SMG2 was a hidden "bonus" game inside SM3DAS?   That would be wild.    

imagine if nintendo did a limited print run of this game and this first batch is it?   could be, but i doubt it.  

I see Nintendo printing and stocking the game between now and March 2021.    How many times restock and how many copies is the real question?    

After this first batch; i would predict at least 2 or 3 restocks before christmas; and another 2-3 restocks between Jan-March.     I would secure your collector's copy before christmas though and i wouldn't wait until after.     
The one thing that makes you wonder about Nintendo's stocking strategy is that since some retail store preorders "sold out" ; Nintendo didn't exactly plan on making a HUGE quantity available at launch; which makes you wonder what the plan is from Sept. to Christmas and from Jan-Mar.

chances SM3DAS will be a black friday sale/special?    .01% chance.    A "new" Nintendo release in September and new nintendo releases never get black friday sales, if ever, it would be a miracle if it did.   It won't.  

SM3DAS is like owning a special Nintendo stock certificate; its going to maintain a high value from now to March.    After March; the stock value will shoot through the roof!     Double, triple, quadruple and higher in $$. 

Believe that rumor was debunked already after seeing the game download size.
Or free DLC update in early 2021? Nah, it's Nintendo...they know they can print more money by releasing it as a stand-alone title, or re-releasing it with Galaxy 2 added (ala Super Mario All-Stars + Super Mario World on SNES).

I mean heck, I bought Breath of the Wild 4 times (pre-ordered Master Edition, standard edition at launch because Master Edition wasn't arriving for a few days after launch, Explorer's Edition because I needed to have the extras, and Wii U edition for collection purposes).

So how many people were able to get 3D all-stars retail? Guessing GS won't have an early Thursday release since it's Nintendo...

I just can't justify wasting "real money" on this when I have a bunch of "funny GS money", but it's tempting! I'm sure flippers/scalpers are ringing up thousands of $ on pre-orders.

I think my boys convinced the neighbors to buy a set themselves... but if these kits take off, hopefully they release cheaper "cars only" kits of Peach / Toad / Bowser / Baby Mario / etc - or karts with multi rider options!
I bought it for my niece and nephew for Christmas. The only issue is it's one kart per switch. I bought both Mario and Luigi.

I'd like to play it but i don't really have the room.

Looks like bestbuy is taking orders for shipping again.  I don't see how or why nintendo would make a standard production game limited when they can print it like money but who knows nintendo.

edit: nevermind, looks like it already fluctuated back to not available for shipping.

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks like bestbuy is taking orders for shipping again. I don't see how or why nintendo would make a standard production game limited when they can print it like money but who knows nintendo.

edit: nevermind, looks like it already fluctuated back to not available for shipping.
Probably just selling the cancelled order copies before they start shipping tomorrow.

Most BB stores in my area have 100-200 copies. Mine has 130+ preorders for 160 copies. They cut off store pickup since the list was updated so I would bet every copy is claimed.

2-3 restocks? Probably not. They will trickle in stock here and there to select stores to keep up the FOMO that helped the Wii/Wii Fit sell out every time a store got a little stock.

Most BB stores in my area have 100-200 copies. Mine has 130+ preorders for 160 copies. They cut off store pickup since the list was updated so I would bet every copy is claimed.

2-3 restocks? Probably not. They will trickle in stock here and there to select stores to keep up the FOMO that helped the Wii/Wii Fit sell out every time a store got a little stock.
Just out of curiousity but how many copies did your store get for other recent big games like TLOU2, Madden, Animal Crossing, etc?

I understand we are talking about nintendo here, and they are known for things like that, but I still don't see how a standard cartridge with no collectible or hardware supply issues would be scarce unless nintendo purposely decides to print only a certain limited number of these, which we have no proof of yet other than vaguely worded "limited" description of this release.

Except your comment completely ignores the fact that PS5 and Xbox are releasing while Nintendo doesn't have any major first party efforts coming out for the holidays to drive Switch sales other than a musou Hyrule game and yet another Wii U port in Pikmin.

With dollars limited and ads all over the place for PS5, Xbox, and Cyberpunk, there will be far more talk about PS5 and Xbox shortages than about some old Mario ports, I assure you.

Nintendo will need 3DAS very much readily available to drum up its fiscal performance and move Switch units.

In other words, there will be multiple restocks of 3DAS.

Stop drinking the kool aid Nintendo is spoonfeeding you. Stop encouraging the panic buying and feeding into the precise corporate narrative Nintendo wants. It's a manipulative cash grab. You'll be able to find the game pretty easily.

Your comment completely ignores the last 6 months.
Sure, because, you know, the PS5, Spider-man Miles Morales, Xbox series S and X, and Cyberpunk were all available during those last 6 months.

Gimmie a break. Here's another Nintendo fanboy who can't get enough head from the Big N.

I like Nintendo, but drop the delusional fanboyism. It's incredible how so many people keep thinking anything Nintendo must be the best damn thing in the world.

Reality check - Nintendo used to have handhelds and consoles with a combined userbase in the 180+ million. With the Switch, they only have one unit essentially. Any way you cut it, for all the "success," Nintendo's total userbase remains significantly smaller today than it did during even its Wii U and 2/3DS days. We all love Nintendo, but I wish people would stop blindly supporting a company that is now nearly at every step looking to extort and prey on our nostalgia and FOMO to get us to buy.

It's worn out its welcome even for a Nintendo player like me (and yes, I even bought a GCN anf Wii U at launch - that speaks to how much I've supported Nintendo).

Notsomuch a fan of their tactics of late.

Sure, because, you know, the PS5, Spider-man Miles Morales, Xbox series S and X, and Cyberpunk were all available during those last 6 months.

Gimmie a break. Here's another Nintendo fanboy who can't get enough head from the Big N.

I like Nintendo, but drop the delusional fanboyism.

honestly I can't see any kid even wanting or caring about a ps5 or xbox series x or whatever the hell it's called since microsoft is terrible at naming consoles.

anyways kids love nintendo. kids love mario. kids love pokemon.

my nephews have every system and what do they play most? nintendo switch.

honestly I can't see any kid even wanting or caring about a ps5 or xbox series x or whatever the hell it's called since microsoft is terrible at naming consoles.

anyways kids love nintendo. kids love mario. kids love pokemon.

my nephews have every system and what do they play most? nintendo switch.
Your kids like Mario? Sorry, mine and everyone else's around here love Spider Man.

Any day of the week, Spider Man vs. Mario. Not even a contest. Many of the kids around don't even care or know who Mario is. They see him as the old school icon their parents like.

And again, you say no one cares when Sony and MS haven't even started their ad blitz. Your kids don't care now? Give it a few months and tell me that again come November.

Your kids like Mario? Sorry, mine and everyone else's around here love Spider Man.

Any day of the week, Spider Man vs. Mario. Not even a contest. Many of the kids around don't even care or know who Mario is. They see him as the old school icon their parents like.
sure kids love super hero's too but I definitely see more kids playing mario and nintendo stuff over marvel or dc games.

sure kids love super hero's too but I definitely see more kids playing mario and nintendo stuff over marvel or dc games.
That's also because there hasn't been good Marvel or DC games until Spider Man from Insomniac and Batman from rocksteady. Great superhero games are a very recent thing.

Miles Morales sales will be limited only by the number of PS5 units available.

If you think a new Spider Man game and new consoles and Cyberpunk aren't hoing to drown out Mario ports and Pikmin, you're a delusional Nintendo fanboy.

And again, you say no one cares when Sony and MS haven't even started their ad blitz. Your kids don't care now? Give it a few months and tell me that again come November.
I like Spiderman too, but I'm not paying $500 to play an expansion of the PS4 game. Anyway, this is a topic about a particular game so take your trolling elsewhere.

That's also because there hasn't been good Marvel or DC games until Spider Man from Insomniac and Batman from rocksteady. Great superhero games are a very recent thing.

Miles Morales sales will be limited only by the number of PS5 units available.

If you think a new Spider Man game and new consoles and Cyberpunk aren't hoing to drown out Mario ports and Pikmin, you're a delusional Nintendo fanboy.
naww i'm just realistic. a $500 console with not a lot of games at launch especially for kids isn't going to drown nintendo in it's success.

there are still a lotttt of people (not just kids) that want to get nintendo switches. My one friend just picked one up very recently and I was talking to him about the new consoles and he didn't seem interested at all. I've found that to be true with a lot of people I've talked to.

I like Spiderman too, but I'm not paying $500 to play an expansion of the PS4 game. Anyway, this is a topic about a particular game so take your trolling elsewhere.
It's not trolling, bud. I'm simply trying to calm folks around here from panic buying and feeding scalpers by explaining why there will be plenty of inventory given the new consoles and big games this holiday from Nintendo's competitors.

naww i'm just realistic. a $500 console with not a lot of games at launch especially for kids isn't going to drown nintendo in it's success.

there are still a lotttt of people (not just kids) that want to get nintendo switches. My one friend just picked one up very recently and I was talking to him about the new consoles and he didn't seem interested at all. I've found that to be true with a lot of people I've talked to.
Sure, Nintendo will do well this holiday but they need those games to sell to parents which is why I think 3DAS will be readily available.

And now that we know Xbox Series S is out for blood at $299 with even a pay-as-you-go with Gamepass, I think Mario and Nintendo may lose a lot of sales to that machine.

Add once Xclould gets well established this next gen allowing gamers to play on any mobile device, Xbox may well be a direct competitor more for Nintendo than Sony.

Phil Spencer really declared war with that price point against not just Sony, but also Nintendo.

I was in the same boat, I looked nearby and saw BestBuy still has it up for preorder but I have to drive out to the suburbs to get it in person.
So I got another email about how my order was going to still ship. It confused me because last night it said something was cancelled. It turns out the game is still shipping BUT they canceled the pre-order bonus mario controller skins (which I didn't know about). I hope the same worked out for you!

attachicon.gif
276B29B2-1FB8-4EAE-A0CC-66F6BF9EA4F0.jpeg

Already sold out at my Walmart.
Nope, register locked so it can't be sold until Friday. At any rate, I'll be looking into a few of these to solidify my retirement portfolio.

If they wanted to get something extra out of Galaxy 2, I think they should have offered it as a pre-order bonus (with the short window of opportunity). For those who got the game post-launch, pay $10-15 for it as DLC. You can also get it digitally on Wii U for $20. I won't be buying a standalone re-release.

Didn’t get a shipping notice, but got the charge on my card from BB. Logged in and checked and it is in the “getting it ready” phase.

Fyi, since Walmart is letting you preorder for pickup in-store, you'll get the in-store 49.94 price adjustment at the time of pickup

Got my charge alert earlier.  I have alerts set on my cards so I get a text immediately when a charge is made.   Just checked my order through the BB app and it says "Getting it Ready" and still has "Arriving by Friday" as expected.

I'll be using Walmart for Mario 3D World and Hyrule Warriors Age of Calamity... but have had some great deals through BB lately and don't mind giving them my business for this one.

My Target order shipped. 

I was hoping one of the ones with a bonus item would re-open but haven't seen any... 

EDIT* I also noticed many of the reviews calling out the cash grab this collection is, and find it surprising since it's felt like the media/general populace is so ready to praise Nintendo over the last few years over anything and everything. But at the same time, I'm also part of the problem since I bought this and I'm actually pretty amped to be able to play SM64 and Sunshine without having to pull out my N64/GC. 

EDIT* I also noticed many of the reviews calling out the cash grab this collection is,
thats fair

whats not fair is how the shit taste reviewers out there list the inclusion of super mario sunshine as a negative of the game itself. charlatans

thats fair

whats not fair is how the shit taste reviewers out there list the inclusion of super mario sunshine as a negative of the game itself. charlatans
Very true. I remember Sunshine wasn't well received by many people initially but once people got over "it's not as revolutionary as any of the past Mario games", they realized it was a damn fine game. I'm shocked that there are still people who like SM64/Galaxy but not Sunshine.

iirc what people hate mario sunshine for is individual gimmicks being more common than pure platforming challenges. i would say the ratio is around 75%

these same people gave odyssey 10/10s even though i would say that odyssey's ratio is something more like 90% gimmicks lol

theyre both great games but you know they just irrationally disliked "cleaning paint" being a strong theme and wrote the game off fast. odyssey had way better marketing

Fyi, since Walmart is letting you preorder for pickup in-store, you'll get the in-store 49.94 price adjustment at the time of pickup
Really? Is this automatic or do you have to ask them to cancel and ring it up again?
If it's a ship to store, which this currently looks like, it won't be adjusted. It only adjusts when it is taken from store stock.

FYI, these games run on emulators, so if you're desperate to play them on Switch then this is as good as it gets. If you're happy playing on a PC, rPi4, etc then you know what to do. . .

FYI, these games run on emulators, so if you're desperate to play them on Switch then this is as good as it gets. If you're happy playing on a PC, rPi4, etc then you know what to do. . .
if you want to play these on pc find the pc port of mario 64

its godlike. 64 will be the hardest to play on the switch after that, by far

iirc what people hate mario sunshine for is individual gimmicks being more common than pure platforming challenges. i would say the ratio is around 75%

these same people gave odyssey 10/10s even though i would say that odyssey's ratio is something more like 90% gimmicks lol

theyre both great games but you know they just irrationally disliked "cleaning paint" being a strong theme and wrote the game off fast. odyssey had way better marketing
Don't forget about the water-spraying controls being absolute crap in Sunshine. They still are.

I think the real question is when Nintendo is done milking us to release the “Greatest Hits” for switch to get those last few drops.

As a flipper I will hate that day!

I think the real question is when Nintendo is done milking us to release the “Greatest Hits” for switch to get those last few drops.

As a flipper I will hate that day!

Called my home store, they got my stickers on hold! Might drop by to check on PS5 anyways

Just out of curiousity but how many copies did your store get for other recent big games like TLOU2, Madden, Animal Crossing, etc?
Not sure about the others because they came out when the store was curbside only but Madden was under 100 across 6 different skus. Same with NBA and Avengers. None of those had more then 15-20 preorders. I checked again today and my store will have 0 copies to put out Friday. All are claimed by preorders.

Except your comment completely ignores the fact that PS5 and Xbox are releasing while Nintendo doesn't have any major first party efforts coming out for the holidays to drive Switch sales other than a musou Hyrule game and yet another Wii U port in Pikmin.
Nintendo has no need for a "big" holiday game. They sell out with the library that is already available.

Oh man, you should really go back and play Odyssey again. You can platform your way around almost all of the "gimmicks" and it's awesome.

I'm with you though when it comes to Sunshine. I also think it gets so much hate because it gets directly compared to the rest of the 3D Mario games. In reality it's right on par with the other great platformers of its era like Jak and Sly. Just because they're not genre-definingly great doesn't mean they're bad games.

Oh man, you should really go back and play Odyssey again. You can platform your way around almost all of the "gimmicks" and it's awesome.

I'm with you though when it comes to Sunshine. I also think it gets so much hate because it gets directly compared to the rest of the 3D Mario games. In reality it's right on par with the other great platformers of its era like Jak and Sly. Just because they're not genre-definingly great doesn't mean they're bad games.
Its funny , I remember buying SMS day 1 on the GCN

I hated it in my first playthrough.

A few years later played it again and again a few years later - and really loved both playthroughs.

For me...from what I realized, going from the ability to punch/kick in N64 to spraying water in SMS made me unlike the game at first but I grew to love it.

bread's done
Back