Super Mario 3D All Stars (Physical) up for preorder

Wait, is Nintendo charging for shipping? They didn't before for such rewards.
The My Nintendo rewards from a few days ago required shipping to be paid, the reward codes are just redeemed on their online store so shipping applies. Website indicates we'll be getting a reward code for the pins as well, so it's likely the same system. Fingers crossed that's not the case.

The My Nintendo rewards from a few days ago required shipping to be paid, the reward codes are just redeemed on their online store so shipping applies. Website indicates we'll be getting a reward code for the pins as well, so it's likely the same system. Fingers crossed that's not the case.
Wow, that would be disappointing. I know it was a while ago, but I remember when Nintendo rewards didn't charge for shipping during the Gamecube and Wii eras. You could get all sorts of awesome Nintendo gear - from posters to figures to card decks -- and Ninty didn't charge shipping. That was all included as part of the redemption.

If they do, I suppose I shouldn't be surprised. It's a business, after all.

Wow, that would be disappointing. I know it was a while ago, but I remember when Nintendo rewards didn't charge for shipping during the Gamecube and Wii eras. You could get all sorts of awesome Nintendo gear - from posters to figures to card decks -- and Ninty didn't charge shipping. That was all included as part of the redemption.

If they do, I suppose I shouldn't be surprised. It's a business, after all.
They even had those member only DS game rewards (Electroplankton and Game and Watch collection I think) and yeah, all were shipped free.

Last edited by a moderator:
Code for mission reward magnets availalble... $5 shipping.  :oldman:

Kids have no use for pins, and I don't really collect them so... think I'm gonna pass.

$5 for pins... maybe it's for the best that I can't make it to the payment page ^^;

-update- Gave it one last shot and it worked.
*looks over at bookshelf*
IMG-9179.jpg

I miss free Club Nintendo rewards :\

Got an email confirmation, apparently I got 5 sets of pins? The stupid site wouldnt show me my cart or update, and I rushed to checkout.
All that happens is I click add to cart, enter the code, no clue if it’s unique or not, and then it doesn’t add to cart.

Since I don't have my game yet (and since digital takes 48 hours to show up as complete), I'll try to get in on pin set #2 instead. Called Target support and they wanted to offer me a percentage off a future order, which then I asked for a gift card instead, so they offered the $5. Guess I should have been meaner for the $10 that some people have gotten. Kappa

Since I don't have my game yet (and since digital takes 48 hours to show up as complete), I'll try to get in on pin set #2 instead. Called Target support and they wanted to offer me a percentage off a future order, which then I asked for a gift card instead, so they offered the $5. Guess I should have been meaner for the $10 that some people have gotten. Kappa
Nah. Don't do that. Be nice!

was way too difficult to get those pins but i finally got an order through. cant wait to get them, put them in a cabinet or something and never look at them again.  :lol:

What do I need to do to get pins? I completed missions and it said something along the lines of "code will be emailed to you September 21 at noon PT" but that has clearly passed and no email.

Edit: wow, guess I had to log out and log back in to get the code to pop up. And now they are out. Super freaking lame. Assumed they would at least send an email or something. They were available starting today right? Whole thing seems like a total bait and switch to sell games. Who knows how many they even had available. If you play offer available until March 2021 while supplies last, it's pretty pathetic that you're out after five hours. Not to mention pretty sure 10 pins were showed and this looks like it's for 5.

If someone did not use their code and wouldn't mind sending to me, I'd appreciate it.

What do I need to do to get pins? I completed missions and it said something along the lines of "code will be emailed to you September 21 at noon PT" but that has clearly passed and no email.

Edit: wow, guess I had to log out and log back in to get the code to pop up. And now they are out. Super freaking lame. Assumed they would at least send an email or something. They were available starting today right? Whole thing seems like a total bait and switch to sell games. Who knows how many they even had available. If you play offer available until March 2021 while supplies last, it's pretty pathetic that you're out after five hours. Not to mention pretty sure 10 pins were showed and this looks like it's for 5.

If someone did not use their code and wouldn't mind sending to me, I'd appreciate it.
Would be surprised if Ninty doesn't restock these, either. It's not as if these cost much for them to produce. It would be a scummy move for Nintendo to deny any person who wants one. Sure, it may take time given the supply and manufacturing issues but they should just take orders and fulfill so long as the orders are made during the period.

Would be surprised if Ninty doesn't restock these, either. It's not as if these cost much for them to produce. It would be a scummy move for Nintendo to deny any person who wants one. Sure, it may take time given the supply and manufacturing issues but they should just take orders and fulfill so long as the orders are made during the period.
Why would they produce more physical when they are trying to promote digital? Nintendo makes more via digital sales. They know it. We know it. I still want physical. They don't care. They placate us with some physical to drum up retro hype.

Also, as more info comes out, the emulators they used include back-code to support other "past" games, to be released in the future. The theory being they will be on Nintendo-Online only, and if you want to play SM64, Sunshine, or Galaxy, you need to purchase a download (assuming no more physicals can be bought). The emulator theory is solid - code for other games was found, after others dissected the source. It wouldn't surprise me to see N64 / GameCube titles appear on Nintendo-Online --- just not the ones recently produced.

Why would they produce more physical when they are trying to promote digital? Nintendo makes more via digital sales. They know it. We know it. I still want physical. They don't care. They placate us with some physical to drum up retro hype.

Also, as more info comes out, the emulators they used include back-code to support other "past" games, to be released in the future. The theory being they will be on Nintendo-Online only, and if you want to play SM64, Sunshine, or Galaxy, you need to purchase a download (assuming no more physicals can be bought). The emulator theory is solid - code for other games was found, after others dissected the source. It wouldn't surprise me to see N64 / GameCube titles appear on Nintendo-Online --- just not the ones recently produced.
I'm talking about the pins, bud. Read the post I was responding to.

Great, my missions just wouldn’t update, tried everything, finally got them to update a little while ago and now the pins are sold out. So stupid. I agree that it’s a bait and switch, it doesn’t seem like they had many available at all if they’re out the same day they went live.

Hmm, are you seeing it at mario.nintendo.com/missions? I have done them all but see nothing.

Well, another person eligible for the pins, but the "codes" are out of stock.

I do assume there will be another run of them between now and December, but...

Code for mission reward magnets availalble... $5 shipping. :oldman:

Kids have no use for pins, and I don't really collect them so... think I'm gonna pass.
Finally got my rewards to update by switching browsers, and it's sold out. I'll buy the code from you. My kids would love the pins!

Sorry n64ra, just saw your post... heh so the thinking is they only generated codes based off the # of pins they had? Seems a bit odd, but I did generate by code this afternoon around 3pm EST but didn't do anything with it until... (see below)

If the pins are truly sold out, as two people have reported, then it doesn’t matter if you can see the code.
They aren't, I just put an order in at 9pm EST. Site still having issues, but I caved and paid for shipping like a chump. :oldman:

Seems like the "codes" are out but pins are available to purchase, meaning if you got a code you should be good to go still. Maybe they will have some pins left from unredeemed codes (people who didnt want to pay shipping), but there won't be many.

Sorry n64ra, just saw your post... heh so the thinking is they only generated codes based off the # of pins they had? Seems a bit odd, but I did generate by code this afternoon around 3pm EST but didn't do anything with it until... (see below)

They aren't, I just put an order in at 9pm EST. Site still having issues, but I caved and paid for shipping like a chump. :oldman:
The pin sets are $100-150 on eBay already, so not a chump move paying the $5 shipping.

I'm honestly not even sure why I'm as sad as I am about missing the stupid pins, but I somehow missed that the codes would be live at a specific time today, and apparently that's just that. Rough.

The pin sets are $100-150 on eBay already, so not a chump move paying the $5 shipping.
Nintendo will restock the pins, guys. Don't buy into Ninty's panic/pro scalper narrative.

The 6-month period for this game's availability literally just started. No way would Nintendo piss off that many customers over the holidays who are just learning about 3DAS. These things would cost Nintendo cents to make. They'll make more and make them available later.

Yeah maybe they will restock maybe the won't. But I agree it definitely will rub a lot of people the wrong way if they don't. Obviously I don't have numbers, but if I were to assume, they had less than 5% of pins available for every game they sold. These pins weren't available for days or weeks, they were available for 3 hours. I mean geesh what if the game just shipped and you didn't even get it in the mail yet? I admit I only found the $60 easy to swallow for 3 old games because I assumed I was getting the pins as well. Won't make that mistake in the future if they do this cash grab, bait and switch again. Pretty scummy, but I guess what did I expect? If they actually cared they would've just done a "launch edition" retail that included the pins in packaging, like a lot of atlus games do.

Yeah maybe they will restock maybe the won't. But I agree it definitely will rub a lot of people the wrong way if they don't. Obviously I don't have numbers, but if I were to assume, they had less than 5% of pins available for every game they sold. These pins weren't available for days or weeks, they were available for 3 hours. I mean geesh what if the game just shipped and you didn't even get it in the mail yet? I admit I only found the $60 easy to swallow for 3 old games because I assumed I was getting the pins as well. Won't make that mistake in the future if they do this cash grab, bait and switch again. Pretty scummy, but I guess what did I expect? If they actually cared they would've just done a "launch edition" retail that included the pins in packaging, like a lot of atlus games do.
Yeah, I think that's what's bothering me. I assumed that if I bought the game, and jumped through the hoops, I'd get the pins. That seemed like the deal. It never occurred to me that I'd be gambling, or camping for a flash sale, or whatever nonsense.

Good thing I gave my wife my login info and had her grab these for me while I was at work. Though she had a hell of a time trying to get through the checkout process to get them for me. I honestly had less trouble when I did my PS5 preorder than when she tried to get these pins for me.

Yeah, I think that's what's bothering me. I assumed that if I bought the game, and jumped through the hoops, I'd get the pins. That seemed like the deal. It never occurred to me that I'd be gambling, or camping for a flash sale, or whatever nonsense.
There was a *While supplies last disclaimer on the rewards page. Between the disclaimer and Nintendo’s history of product scarcity I knew I’d better be online right at noon when they opened up if I wanted a set

There was a *While supplies last disclaimer on the rewards page. Between the disclaimer and Nintendo’s history of product scarcity I knew I’d better be online right at noon when they opened up if I wanted a set
Sure sure, but literally every offer anywhere anytime says "While supplies last." I genuinely just didn't grok that it was giving me a specific hour and minute to line up for the code, since every other step in the mission was this slow, squishy, "something will happen roughly 48 hours from now, so check back!" thing.

I'd already done all the busywork, waited, bought a limited edition game, waited, registered it, waited, then been told "come back tomorrow." It's crazy that it was still possible to screw it up at that point. (But screw it up I did).

Nintendo will restock the pins, guys. Don't buy into Ninty's panic/pro scalper narrative.

The 6-month period for this game's availability literally just started. No way would Nintendo piss off that many customers over the holidays who are just learning about 3DAS. These things would cost Nintendo cents to make. They'll make more and make them available later.
I do not expect them to make a second batch of these pins. The later rewards that will be added are for something else (different pins?) that will be just as rare.

I do not expect them to make a second batch of these pins. The later rewards that will be added are for something else (different pins?) that will be just as rare.
I guess we'll see, but I'd be very surprised if Nintendo doesn't restock both pin sets and look to fulfill demand for their customers. They can easily see the numbers of their sell-through for the game, and have data to then estimate their conversation rates for the pins. My guess is that in advance of the second set being made available, Ninty will communicate that set 1 is now in ample supply for order.

Of course, all of this is a guess, but this is the sort of thing that needlessly harms a brand long-term, and among its most loyal customers (I mean, that's the whole point of creating self-selecting reward programs). Nintendo would be doing itself no favors by handling the pin sets this way. Creating artificial scarcity for the games is one thing, but then layering that with panic/scarcity for a reward designed to cater to its diehard fan-base (who paid full price for the game) would be (IMHO) unnecessary brand damage, and significiantly so given the game is supposed be on sale for 6 months and we're still in week 1.

Among the ten commandments in marketing (I used to do it for a living and with big clients), no matter the size of your company, making your loyalists unhappy is the most surefire way to harm your product line, current and future.

My guess is the majority of people didn’t even know about the pin set and don’t know they missed out on anything. The average consumer/parent isn’t looking up Nintendo directs or watching gaming news. I never saw the pins advertised on the Best Buy or amazon product pages or anything.

I'm wondering how many of the $100 pin sales on ebay are fake or ill-intended.  There have been plenty of pin sets by nintendo, some limited on club nintendo etc, with resale value nothing special (2011 25th anniversary pin set is under $20 now)...but who is mentally ill enough to feel that they HAVE to have this set for $100?  Kids these days, nothing better to do....

I registered my physical copy of the game yesterday and it said it would take 24-48 hours for the points to show up which would be the final thing I needed for the pins. So I got on a few mins ago and can't believe the damn pins are no longer available. I would have thought Nintendo would have had as many pin sets available as they do games but seems they made 7 or 8 sets. I'm not going to lie it pisses me off. Might not buy new game again just wait til I find a copy at flea market for cheap because lord knows I have big enough backlog anyways but the pin set was a nice little perk to buy the game. Bad business Nintendo if you offer something at least stand behind it and wasted my time completing the other crap too. Won't waste anymore time on there. People should email Nintendo about it otherwise nothing will change. Honestly not sure I feel like wasting anymore time trying to get a company to do what it should have done to begin with.

I don't have any expectation Nintendo will restock the pins. The pins are a way to generate day one sales, but a total dick move to list it as through March 31 while only producing enough for a few hours worth of redemption and only saying out of stock after a customer opens the item. The biggest kicker for me is the Mario Kart Tour part of the promo, which says "Users who complete this mission will receive credit on 9/29." I read that as won't be able to redeem for the pins until September 29.

I registered my physical copy of the game yesterday and it said it would take 24-48 hours for the points to show up which would be the final thing I needed for the pins. So I got on a few mins ago and can't believe the damn pins are no longer available. I would have thought Nintendo would have had as many pin sets available as they do games but seems they made 7 or 8 sets. I'm not going to lie it pisses me off. Might not buy new game again just wait til I find a copy at flea market for cheap because lord knows I have big enough backlog anyways but the pin set was a nice little perk to buy the game. Bad business Nintendo if you offer something at least stand behind it and wasted my time completing the other crap too. Won't waste anymore time on there. People should email Nintendo about it otherwise nothing will change. Honestly not sure I feel like wasting anymore time trying to get a company to do what it should have done to begin with.
This is not a game that is going to go on sale, and you are highly unlikely to see anyone selling it for less than $60 second hand. And after March 2021, the prices will only go up from resellers. So either way, if you wanted the game regardless of the pins, you would have had to pay full retail price at minimum. The cheapest you'll find it is at Walmart for $50 like they do with most of their games. The only thing that happened here is that you bought it maybe a little earlier than you wanted for a chance at the pins.

This is not a game that is going to go on sale, and you are highly unlikely to see anyone selling it for less than $60 second hand. And after March 2021, the prices will only go up from resellers. So either way, if you wanted the game regardless of the pins, you would have had to pay full retail price at minimum. The cheapest you'll find it is at Walmart for $50 like they do with most of their games. The only thing that happened here is that you bought it maybe a little earlier than you wanted for a chance at the pins.
I like everyone else it seems don't care so much about the pins as the time spent trying to get them when Nintendo knew that very few would get them. It's just bad to offer something like this and not having nearly enough for everyone who got the game to be able to get the pins. They should have just sold the pins at $29.99 a set if they were going to be so limited, or possibly much higher if what I hear about ebay prices is true. Better yet just sell a limited edition of the game at a higher price with the pins. Nintendo wants that site traffic though apparently but I don't see wasting anymore of my time on there anytime soon as least.

It has already been available several times for $52 from lesser known lower volume sellers and $50 as you mentioned from walmart instore. I think it has a good chance of being $40-50 if it is produced in large numbers and the hysteria wears off. Or even as part of a bestbuy b1g50off type of sale.

It has already been available several times for $52 from lesser known lower volume sellers and $50 as you mentioned from walmart instore. I think it has a good chance of being $40-50 if it is produced in large numbers and the hysteria wears off. Or even as part of a bestbuy b1g50off type of sale.
I never said it was impossible to find it from resellers for less than $60, just highly unlikely. I, personally, have yet to see any resellers sell it for less than $60 in my area. But if you're seeing it then maybe it's not as unlikely as I thought. I do have a hard time believing that it would end up in any retail sales though. But I guess we'll see.

Has anyone whose Walmart didn’t have it in stock on Friday ever get it in stock? Still nada at any Walmart in Connecticut. I’m going to assume this is more poor distribution from Walmart, and won’t hold my breath of them getting any. I’m gonna guess the shelf stays empty for a few weeks until they start rearranging for the Holidays and just remove the price tag.

My guess is the majority of people didn’t even know about the pin set and don’t know they missed out on anything. The average consumer/parent isn’t looking up Nintendo directs or watching gaming news. I never saw the pins advertised on the Best Buy or amazon product pages or anything.
Uhhhh ... what part of self-selecting loyalists do you not understand? That was my point. Failing to fulfill the pins for THIS group of people damages your brand far more than the average, bystander game buyer. Nintendo knows that which is why I'd be surprised if they don't try make it right.

bread's done
Back