Super Mario All Stars - New Print Run Shipping in March

Already have Super Mario Bros 3 and Super Mario World from Virtual Console. Don't really need to buy this over the remaining ones. Although a cool idea, doubt I will be purchasing it.

Anyone else think they may pull a New Super Mario Bros Wii and just update the graphics on everything?

[quote name='4thHorseman']Anyone else think they may pull a New Super Mario Bros Wii and just update the graphics on everything?[/QUOTE]

No.

I doubt this will even come to the states.

Meh, the music on Mario All-Stars for SNES is annoying as all hell, and I strongly prefer the graphics on the original NES to the remade graphics on the SNES, particularly in the case of Super Mario Brothers 3

Super Mario All-Stars and the GBC Mario 1 are prime examples of old Nintendo vs. new Nintendo. In the 90s, you got robust, feature-filled ports and remakes. Beginning with the GBA, though, just look at the pitiful ports. All those Mario Advance games should have been in one All-Stars style cartridge. The NES/Famicom Classics series carts of Mario 1 and 2 (or Lost Levels, not released on the GBA here) are pitiful, too. They're straight up ports. Not even a decade earlier they included both games in one cart with a loving translation to the GBC and included all sorts of other crazy stuff. It's shameful.

That being said, I'd pick this All-Stars thing up if it comes out stateside on disc. The SNES All-Stars cart literally provided me years of gameplay when I was a kid. It's one of my favorite games.

If they update the graphics to NSMBWii style I'd be in but otherwise I'll pass. I already have all of these games for the NES and I have the All-Stars cart for the SNES and most of the GBA ports too. I certainly don't need to buy these games again.

This game came with my SNES back in the day. It was a great compilation, especially as a pack-in. I'd buy it for $20 if they include super mario world. If its just 1-3 and Lost Levels, I'd pass.

[quote name='Chuplayer']Super Mario All-Stars and the GBC Mario 1 are prime examples of old Nintendo vs. new Nintendo. In the 90s, you got robust, feature-filled ports and remakes. Beginning with the GBA, though, just look at the pitiful ports. All those Mario Advance games should have been in one All-Stars style cartridge. The NES/Famicom Classics series carts of Mario 1 and 2 (or Lost Levels, not released on the GBA here) are pitiful, too. They're straight up ports. Not even a decade earlier they included both games in one cart with a loving translation to the GBC and included all sorts of other crazy stuff. It's shameful.

That being said, I'd pick this All-Stars thing up if it comes out stateside on disc. The SNES All-Stars cart literally provided me years of gameplay when I was a kid. It's one of my favorite games.[/QUOTE]

SMA4 (SMB3), was sadly, overlooked, because its best improvements relied on the novel, but really useless, e-Reader, which added extra levels and elements from all of the games plus a few additions of its own.

[quote name='62t']You still got Metroid Zero Mission, which has the original NES Metroid as an unlockable.[/QUOTE]

But Metroid sucks. I consider it Gunpei Yokoi's worst creation, even beating the Virtual Boy.

[quote name='foltzie']SMA4 (SMB3), was sadly, overlooked, because its best improvements relied on the novel, but really useless, e-Reader, which added extra levels and elements from all of the games plus a few additions of its own.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I know about the e-reader junk, but I'd rather not jump through my own butthole for some stuff that a good ROM hack can do better. Ever play Super Mario Adventure? It's awesome.

[quote name='Chuplayer']But Metroid sucks. I consider it Gunpei Yokoi's worst creation, even beating the Virtual Boy.[/QUOTE]

Congrats. This is the dumbest thing I've ever read on the internet.

[quote name='icedrake523']Congrats. This is the dumbest thing I've ever read on the internet.[/QUOTE]

Awww come'on! The Virtual Boy immersed the player in the game so much that it gave them SEIZORS! Metroid can't compete with that! :roll:

[quote name='Scorch']No.

I doubt this will even come to the states.[/QUOTE]
Honestly I would be surprised if it doesn't come out in the states, it would almost be guaranteed to sell a few million copies in the US and would be pretty much all profit compared to other games.

Yeah, I'm not sure why the assumption would be that this wouldn't come to the states. I mean, this isn't some weird, abstract concept like Captain Rainbow that Americans wouldn't get. It's a collector's set for four Mario games that have consistently sold well over and over again.

We'll get this. I'd only be concerned with getting ripped off with the extra items, but I'm sure they wouldn't skimp us like that.

If they release Super Mario All-Stars as a retail product I'd buy it in a heartbeat, but I'm done with Virtual Console until they at least fix their DRM.

Does anyone else feel like the control was off in All Stars though? It didn't feel right to me back in the day, though I adjusted. At any rate, back in 1993 or whatever it was just too soon, but now? Eh, what the heck, I already have two copies of Super Mario Bros. 3, why not go for a third? :whistle2:D

I'll buy this on Day 1, even though I own all of these as on NES/GB/etc.

I really hope we get the e-reader stuff included... I was never able to play that.

The eReader stuff was for the GBA Super Mario Bros. 3 release so far as I know, so wouldn't be in this.

I wouldn't object to having that either though...I mean new SMB3 content's never a bad thing.

[quote name='icedrake523']Congrats. This is the dumbest thing I've ever read on the internet.[/QUOTE]

His opinion can't be wrong.

[quote name='Chuplayer']But Metroid sucks. I consider it Gunpei Yokoi's worst creation, even beating the Virtual Boy.[/QUOTE]

Whoa, I missed this. Hey, I won't fault you for it, there's plenty of popular stuff I've hated, but which games have you played, and why did you dislike them? Did you hate Symphony of the Night too?

[quote name='4thHorseman']Anyone else think they may pull a New Super Mario Bros Wii and just update the graphics on everything?[/QUOTE]

I'm curious if you've played NSMBWii, because it most certainly isn't just NSMB with better graphics. It's a completely new game, it just has the same style and 2D with 3D graphics.

Also, if it's at least a graphics update and the price is right, I'm in. Ideally they'd include some new stuff too, though. I'll be holding off on buying any of the other VC versions until we learn more, at the very least.

[quote name='crunchewy']I'm curious if you've played NSMBWii, because it most certainly isn't just NSMB with better graphics. It's a completely new game, it just has the same style and 2D with 3D graphics.

Also, if it's at least a graphics update and the price is right, I'm in. Ideally they'd include some new stuff too, though. I'll be holding off on buying any of the other VC versions until we learn more, at the very least.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I played it. I phrased that comment wrong, so my bad. Since it's obviously the originals and not a new game influenced from the old games, I was just curious if they were going to do any changes to it to give people any more reason to buy a disc over the VC stuff.

[quote name='Wolfpup']Whoa, I missed this. Hey, I won't fault you for it, there's plenty of popular stuff I've hated, but which games have you played, and why did you dislike them? Did you hate Symphony of the Night too?[/QUOTE]

I tried Metroid, Super Metroid, Metroid Prime GCN, Metroid Trilogy Wii, and that shittacular DS FPS wannabe. I actually liked the DS demo, but I couldn't stand the full game. I hated it so much that I got the shittacular manager at Gamestop fired because of it. So I guess you could say Metroid: 5 Chuplayer: 1.

Nice! I'll definitely buy that if they release it (though obviously I really want more obscure games). So awesome that it's a retail product! In Japan at least...

If anyone really wants this and doesn't feel it will come out here or doesn't want to wait, it's available for pre-order at NCSX for ~$40, which isn't too pricy, and about in line with what we'll pay if / when it comes out

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but is this just a single ROM on a disc? It seems like Nintendo didn't want to sell this for the typical DLC pricing and threw in a soundtrack to try to justify the price.

I was so excited for this game before the official announcement today, hoping they'd give those games a NSMB Wii makeover. :(

Who cares if it's just a single game on a disc? On disc, you own it. Nintendo's virtual console is worse than Steam/Xbox/Playstation/iTunes, and even with those superior stores, you still don't own it.

I'd much rather all these games get released on disc (or cartridge, or whatever) instead.

Plus this way you get the cool extras.

[quote name='Wolfpup']Who cares if it's just a single game on a disc? On disc, you own it. Nintendo's virtual console is worse than Steam/Xbox/Playstation/iTunes, and even with those superior stores, you still don't own it.

I'd much rather all these games get released on disc (or cartridge, or whatever) instead.

Plus this way you get the cool extras.[/QUOTE]
I can't disagree with Nintendo's DRM being way too much. The inability to carry your games over to another system has cost Nintendo a good deal of my money. And at the same time I realize you're getting four games for roughly four times the cost of a regular SNES virtual console ROM.

They didn't even use the version of Super Mario All-stars w/ Super Mario World included. Plus, these games have been sort of surpassed in terms of quality by the GBA ports (minus Toad's painful sounding voice).

I dunno, it's just disappointing IMHO.

Mine too. I lost over $100 on the virtual console when my first Wii died. My second Wii is making the same noises my first one did before it died...though I haven't bought any VC games for it, obviously.

[quote name='foltzie']Well now that is far too tempting, especially since it is utterly pointless.[/QUOTE]

Oh god-daaaaaamn do I want that. Nintendo modified the SMB rom?! That's so fucking cool.

My pining for the upcoming MH PSP may be replaced with this.

[quote name='rocky435']YEA!! It's coming to europe!!:applause: So it if it possibly doesn't come to America everything will still be in english at least.

http://kotaku.com/5657879/marios-25th-anniversary-box-set-heads-for-europe

There's also a red wii with a motion plus controller and the game is pre-installed with the game and 25 numbers on the blocks for the first game. :hot:

http://kotaku.com/5657783/there-is-a-new-wii-color-and-it-is-red?skyline=true&s=i[/QUOTE]

I hope it comes to America, and the console too. We got a GBA mini famicom, and an NES Retro GBASP in the states, so I don't see why the 25th Anniversary of the biggest game mascot of all time wouldn't be coming to the states as well.

bread's done
Back