Super Mario All-Stars (Wii) - 25th Anniversary Limited Edition Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
[quote name='Scorch']hey guys, remember when we used to buy games because they were fun and we wanted to play them?[/QUOTE]

I still do. But I have a lot more money now than when I was a kid. So I get to keep a sealed copy of games I really like for shits and giggles. This is a perfect example.

There was no way i coulda kept a smas nes copy sealed for the hell of it.

[quote name='romeogbs19']Haha -- the OoT example -- yeah, try to sell that now after Ninty made it available for download via the VC, released on the LoZ disc for GCN AND released it as part of its Master Quest bonus for pre-ordering WW.

I don't think it fetches anywhere near that now. Fact is the OLD rules don't apply anymore. By that measure, Atlus games should always be worth more. Well, look at what's happening there. Reprints, reprints, re-issues, do-overs, etc.

And the OoT gold cartridge was way more rare than this thing. It was printed in limited quantities for pre-order folks only, and stores only got a handful of extra copies to sell. The standard gray issue was in abundance however.[/QUOTE]

Well, I sold one that I almost forgot about sitting in my closet for over $500 not too long ago, well after the other rereleases. There are collectors, especially for some Nintendo franchises, that drive up the price of sealed games to crazy levels. They're not buying the games to play, but to collect like people used to do with baseball cards and comics. I'm not saying I agree with it, but your arguments don't hold much weight until we know how quickly these get depleted from stores. Your price predictions are also baseless for now. If allstars is only one run, it might be as rare as the gold zelda OOT, (which was a pretty large Christmas run if I recall, that was hyped way more than this). Or it could be as cheap as any other Nintendo title. I wouldn't recommend anyone buy more than 1 or 2 extra, but if ToysRus is practically paying us to buy 2 copies, what's wrong with that?

[quote name='scottman']There are collectors, especially for some Nintendo franchises, that drive up the price of sealed games to crazy levels. They're not buying the games to play, but to collect like people used to do with baseball cards and comics.[/QUOTE]

Hey, that's me!

[quote name='Muthafodder']I'll wait for GameFly to put it on sale and get the additional content in new condition.[/QUOTE]
Do you want a high-5?

3930.jpg

[quote name='scottman']If allstars is only one run, it might be as rare as the gold zelda OOT, (which was a pretty large Christmas run if I recall). Or it could be as cheap as any other Nintendo title. I wouldn't recommend anyone buy more than 1 or 2 extra, but if ToysRus is practically paying us to buy 2 copies, what's wrong with that?[/QUOTE]

You couldn't just walk in anywhere and buy a handful of gold Zelda 64s, a lot of places didn't even get enough for their pre-orders (of course now that I've said that someone will say that's exactly what they did, but that would have been the huge exception to the rule)

[quote name='confoosious']I stumbled upon one of cmosfms auctions recently. Dude makes a living on video games.

And while I'm no fan of hoarders and resellers at least he keeps it relatively low key on cag. There's a whole bunch of assholes on here that flip and resell and just LOVE to rub other cags
faces in it. Like "Hahah I stole all the deals. Neener Neener!".

So long story short I think he knows what he's talking about.[/QUOTE]
I agree. I saw a reseller @my local Toysrus using his $25 gift card to purchase another 2 copies. That's an average of around $18 a game. They are not purchasing the game @the full price of $29.99. These people know how to make money. Many of these resellers probably make more money with less time than a typical Gamestop employee.

[quote name='Masterkyo']My local TRU have ton copies instock. I end up Picked up for $60.XX plus taxes plus Free $25 GC promotion :)[/QUOTE]

What's the promotion?

[quote name='confoosious']I stumbled upon one of cmosfms auctions recently. Dude makes a living on video games.

And while I'm no fan of hoarders and resellers at least he keeps it relatively low key on cag. There's a whole bunch of assholes on here that flip and resell and just LOVE to rub other cags
faces in it. Like "Hahah I stole all the deals. Neener Neener!".

So long story short I think he knows what he's talking about.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the kind words. :)

[quote name='robot']Lol...buy games to play em. Buy stocks to make money.[/QUOTE]

Or get a decent job.

The time spent researching the game's rarity, buying it, storing it, then listing and shipping it out can't be worth it.

Get back on topic, folks. Stop with the pages of bickering. It may be worth something, it may not. If you want it, buy it when you can because there will be no further prints of this.

I wouldn't be surprised if nintendo purposely manipulated the preorder numbers and announcements to retailers and instructed them to say things like "while supplies last, no rainchecks" just to sell more and have an "in demand" item this season. Seems strange how amazon halted preorders for a while, came back, but are now not selling it anymore when people might be looking to buy. Yet random places like newegg and gohastings seem to have ample supply.

[quote name='Cyrian']You couldn't just walk in anywhere and buy a handful of gold Zelda 64s, a lot of places didn't even get enough for their pre-orders (of course now that I've said that someone will say that's exactly what they did, but that would have been the huge exception to the rule)[/QUOTE]

Man, I remember being so upset over that, too. I remember Target doing a pre-sell with some figures and I did it there. Then, the week before release, they tell me that the pre-sell does not gaurantee a copy. So, I cancel and pre-order it at Toys R Us. When I picked it up at Toys R Us, they gave me the "normal" version. I figured I'd run to Target, which would be my best bet since they weren't reserving anything... The same person who told me they weren't doing reserves for pre-sells wouldn't sell me one now without having a pre-sell receipt. I was so pissed.... I argued with her for awhile. Her manager was even going to give me a gold cartridge, but she went out of her way to convince him not to. I did not like that person at all.... :)

I was pretty friendly with the staff at a local Electronics Boutique back then and a gold copy sat there on reserve for about a month - since the person who reserved it never picked it up, one of the guys there let me exchange my opened game for the gold one.

Yeah, I can attest that the gold cartridge was definitely truly "limited" unlike, say, the Maximum Carnage red cartridge. Did that yellow DK64 cartridge ever end up being limited?

Awhile back, after I got a job where I made way more money, I started in on this kick of resecuring some old SNES/Genesis games that I had traded in. I paid way too much for some of them. Right now, they are worth so much less than what I paid. Some of those prices were due to there being an Ebay dry spell where none were being sold factory sealed and I couldn't really judge their market value. I paid way too much for stuff like Looney Tunes B-Ball (my biggest trade-in regret... $5 trade-in, I don't even wanna say what I paid for my factory sealed copy), The Death and Return of Superman, Michael Jackson's Moonwalker for the Genesis, a "like new" Super Mario RPG which I ended up reselling for about 1/3 of what I paid for it a few years ago since it ended up on the VC.

Even if this Super Mario All-Stars LE ends up being worth something, I doubt we're going to see crazy values out of it. Maybe one day someone will sell one for $100.... I'll be surprised, though. One other thing I'll say is that I went to a few stores today that had 'em and noticed alot of copies would drive those with OCD crazy. I saw multiple copies with some blotches on the sides of the outer box where the gold ink was missing. A "perfect" copy seemed rare in my area.

[quote name='scottman']I wouldn't be surprised if nintendo purposely manipulated the preorder numbers and announcements to retailers and instructed them to say things like "while supplies last, no rainchecks" just to sell more and have an "in demand" item this season. [/QUOTE]
I don't see Nintendo passing up easy money to help speculators out. And what good would it do to waste time supposedly building up demand for something that is on a limited production timeline?

Don't break out the tinfoil hats until Nintendo claims some sort of chip-shortage involved with meeting demand for this game.

[quote name='guinaevere']Get back on topic, folks. Stop with the pages of bickering. It may be worth something, it may not. If you want it, buy it when you can because there will be no further prints of this.[/QUOTE]

I think you have to be ON TOPIC to begin before you can get "back on topic"... to be honest, I wish you'd just use a little of your mod magic and just move the thread to deal discussion.

[quote name='scottman']I wouldn't be surprised if nintendo purposely manipulated the preorder numbers and announcements to retailers and instructed them to say things like "while supplies last, no rainchecks" just to sell more and have an "in demand" item this season. Seems strange how amazon halted preorders for a while, came back, but are now not selling it anymore when people might be looking to buy. Yet random places like newegg and gohastings seem to have ample supply.[/QUOTE]
Reminds me of the ol' "chip shortages" of the Zelda II/SMB2 era.

[quote name='BrandonJF']One other thing I'll say is that I went to a few stores today that had 'em and noticed alot of copies would drive those with OCD crazy. I saw multiple copies with some blotches on the sides of the outer box where the gold ink was missing. A "perfect" copy seemed rare in my area.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I noticed the same thing on mine, one had a blotch, the other was perfect though.

[quote name='slothsd']Mine says promo gift card expires 7/31/11. card valid 6 hours after activation.[/QUOTE]

Are you sure about that 7? My TRU giftcard said 1/31/11. I doubt they made more than one version of this mario 25th gift card.

A moderator came in and cleaned up a lot of the crap y'all have been polluting this thread with. So I'm guessing the answer to your question is YES. Do us a favor and STICK TO THE TOPIC instead of asking inane questions.

[quote name='guinaevere']A moderator came in and cleaned up a lot of the crap y'all have been polluting this thread with. So I'm guessing the answer to your question is YES. Do us a favor and STICK TO THE TOPIC instead of asking inane questions.[/QUOTE]

I asked to have the thread moved out of deals section, if a question like that is dismissed as "inane", then you're acting like a true moderator. And no, that's not a compliment.

When I was at GameStop today, some asshole was returning 5 of these. I guess he hasn't been able to sell them for the profit that he wanted. The clerk asked him if there was something wrong with them and he made up some excuse about the game not being what he wanted. He just seemed like an all-around douche.

[quote name='confoosious']For those who missed out on amazon: buy.com has plenty of copies at 29.99 via ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-Super-Mario-All-Stars-Limited-Edition-includes-Su-/380298556708[/QUOTE]

If the quantity field is accurate for stock, they have 202 copies in that auction.

If anyone else still hasn't been able to get theirs at toysrus or kmart (due to their giftcard deals), here are other places showing stock:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16878190229

http://www.gamestop.com/Catalog/ProductDetails.aspx?product_id=87690

http://www.gohastings.com/product/GAME/Super-Mario-All-Stars-Limited-Edition/sku/282991710.uts

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=7040846

Not to mention, most bestbuys near me still show a decent number available for store pickup. There is no reason anyone should be paying over MSRP for this yet.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='scottman']Are you sure about that 7? My TRU giftcard said 1/31/11. I doubt they made more than one version of this mario 25th gift card.[/QUOTE]

Wow that kinda sucks about the expiration date.
In Florida I think there was some law passed a few years back that all gift cards are not allowed to expire ever.

This is probably why my TRU giftcards don't have a expiration date anywhere on them.

[quote name='buster90']I was at Gamestop today and they manager was giving me BS it comes out tomorrow! I thought it came out today?[/QUOTE]

Pre-Orders only I'm betting.

Amazon is still waiting to ship. Darnit.

[quote name='confoosious']I got a generic gift card. What does the smas one look like?[/QUOTE]

Like this!

giftfun.jpg

I guess mine is generic
:(

Last edited by a moderator:
Was at 5 stores today such as Target/BestBuy/Fry etc, and each store has TONS of copies available. As expected, this is not rare at all. LOL at the people who think this will be rare anytime soon.

[quote name='Diebythesword']Pre-Orders only I'm betting.

Amazon is still waiting to ship. Darnit.[/QUOTE]

Mine shipped Friday from Amazon, so they are starting to roll them out.

i was at the gamestop at universal citywalk and they said they had 6 preorders and 6 available to sell and they were told that they would not be getting any more in stock.

[quote name='orcafan8']i was at the gamestop at universal citywalk and they said they had 6 preorders and 6 available to sell and they were told that they would not be getting any more in stock.[/QUOTE]

I was told the same thing today.
No restock.

[quote name='donut']I was told the same thing today.
No restock.[/QUOTE]

That being said, I'd say the best way to get a copy now would be one of the larger brick & mortar's or someone such as Amazon.

*EDIT* Nevermind Amazon for now... :lol:

[quote name='donut']I was told the same thing today.
No restock.[/QUOTE]

yeah i told the guy i preordered it on gamestop.com but they were being stupid with filling the order he was practically begging me to bring the second copy back to his location when i get it in the mail (bc i told him that my usual gamestop didn't have any extras after preorders, which is why i was buying it there)

[quote name='Maniac Mansion']...and one of those buyers bought 100 copies.

:roll:[/QUOTE]

Haha, that's awesome. But in two years he could double his investment. But it's a huge risk. Yeah, Nintendo kept their word, I believe, for "limited" for Metroid Prime Trilogy-- ample stock, but it wasn't reprinted and now we have a slightly higher than MSRP value at the moment. But if this Mario set takes off, maybe a reprint? Who knows.

[quote name='Friend of Sonic']Haha, that's awesome. But in two years he could double his investment. But it's a huge risk. Yeah, Nintendo kept their word, I believe, for "limited" for Metroid Prime Trilogy-- ample stock, but it wasn't reprinted and now we have a slightly higher than MSRP value at the moment. But if this Mario set takes off, maybe a reprint? Who knows.[/QUOTE]

Yeah I'm trying to track down a Kmart in my area that still has Metroid Prime Trilogy in stock. I'll have to go PM SHC Stockboy. ;)

Soundtrack was a disappointment but I kind of like that outerbox. Btw I really forgot these games so does anyone remember if they were co-op or not or updated for co-op?

[quote name='Idioteque...']Soundtrack was a disappointment but I kind of like that outerbox. Btw I really forgot these games so does anyone remember if they were co-op or not or updated for co-op?[/QUOTE]

No co-op in any of the games. Except for in battle mode on SMB3 you take turns in two player.

That guy on ebay who bought 100 has tons of feedback too. Either an experienced reseller or some hacked account. Sounds like something a disgruntled gamer kid would try to pull. Not sure why he would order from there instead of toysrus or bestbuy, unless he already cleaned out all of his local stores too. He will either end up looking extremely stupid or a few grand richer.

Went to gamestop.com and nothing new but put in my zip code and found
a ton of used Metroid Prime Trilogy for 39.95 and in stock. Otherwise bay
cheepest I can see right now is 68.99.

The Cedar Park/Lakeline (read: northwest Austin, TX) TRU had 5 copies (after I bought 2) left.

The Lakeline Target had 3, the Cedar Park Target had 12.

Neither the Lakeline WM nor the Cedar Park WM had any in stock. Neither employee at the store with whom I spoke had any idea what I was talking about. One of them thought I was talking about the anniversary hardware and told me that it has been out for weeks. Heh.

Anyway, there seem to be plenty to be had in central Texas, if you're willing to drive a bit NW.

Thank you again, CAG. I got my two copies and gift card. Nice deal all around.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back