Super Mario Galaxy GDC Trailer

Looks good, but I am really tired of Nintendo using synthesized music. They are using full size DVDs now, so there is no reason for this midi crap. Their composers are among the best in the world but the effect is kind of ruined by this.

I really wish we could get a more traditional Mario 64 style game, but ill still pick this up on day one. I really don't "get" the Mario in outer space angle.

Apparently i'm going to spend more time watching him fly around then I am actually controlling him. Joy. Not looking forward to this one.

Cool, I feel better about the game now.

I'll agree about the music, it's time to step that up and improve the format.

It looks good....I'm a little concerned about being upside down on planets a lot but otherwise I'm ready.

Just to be my typically chafing self (or so I've been lead to believe here), this game seems like mostly vertigo and possibly disorienting bite-sized gameplay on bite-sized planetoids. I suppose it's our obligation to have faith, but mine ain't the blind kind, and I'm apparently too 'reactionary' to 'get' what I see here.

I never thought I'd have to try to convince myself to be excited for an actual Mario game.

[quote name='jollydwarf']Just to be my typically chafing self (or so I've been lead to believe here), this game seems like mostly vertigo and possibly disorienting bite-sized gameplay on bite-sized planetoids. I suppose it's our obligation to have faith, but mine ain't the blind kind, and I'm apparently too 'reactionary' to 'get' what I see here.

I never thought I'd have to try to convince myself to be excited for an actual Mario game.[/quote]
Don't worry, the concept of spherical levels will be revolutionary when Sony has it copied into the next Jak/Ratchet game.

[quote name='Dr Mario Kart']Don't worry, the concept of spherical levels will be revolutionary when Sony has it copied into the next Jak/Ratchet game.[/QUOTE]
The Ratchet games already have had spherical levels.

[quote name='rodeojones903']I really wish we could get a more traditional Mario 64 style game, but ill still pick this up on day one. I really don't "get" the Mario in outer space angle.[/QUOTE]

You'll understand once you play it. Its RIDICULOUSLY fun. ;)

Well in that case, you're in a position to quell or reinforce any criticism that an entire game based on spheres in space will be detrimental or not.

For all the bitching people do about how the Wii is lacking in horsepower compared to the competition, this game looks beautiful.

I'll be getting this Day 1.

Looking at this makes me salivate even more at how good Zelda will look built from the ground up for the Wii :drool:

I think hands on impressions will change everything. I'm waiting especially for E3 now and for what people have to say in regards to the game then. I know IGN was eating it up last year.

[quote name='jollydwarf']Just to be my typically chafing self (or so I've been lead to believe here), this game seems like mostly vertigo and possibly disorienting bite-sized gameplay on bite-sized planetoids. I suppose it's our obligation to have faith, but mine ain't the blind kind, and I'm apparently too 'reactionary' to 'get' what I see here.

I never thought I'd have to try to convince myself to be excited for an actual Mario game.[/quote]

I can't help but feel the same way. It made me think of the horrible motion sickness I got playing Elebits (which forced me to regretfully sell the game). Hopefully it isn't a problem.

I asked around about the Ratchet and Clank games. Someone mentioned having to go up to moons to disable satellites. He said that even though the level was a sphere, it was sufficently large as to not be comparable to a world full of INDIVIDUAL platforms that are tiny spheres.

I am also not convinced of the idea of everything being a tiny little planet that you spend < 1 minute on. Give me a real level or don't bother.

And to add to that the difficulty of the game, based on the videos I've seen, is horribly easy. Mario spends more time walking up the giant robot than he does beating it.

I think the idea of a Mario is space in awesome, but from what I've seen so far it is poorly implemented.

Its better if you think of the little planets as just spherical PLATFORMS and not levels within themselves. The levels could be quite huge. You could analogue a water level in M64, where instead of water you have space, and instead of platforms floating on water, you have small planetoids.

It could certainly be challenging, though it seems there necessarily has to be less focus on bottomless pits to kill you

[quote name='Scrubking']I am also not convinced of the idea of everything being a tiny little planet that you spend < 1 minute on. Give me a real level or don't bother.

And to add to that the difficulty of the game, based on the videos I've seen, is horribly easy. Mario spends more time walking up the giant robot than he does beating it.

I think the idea of a Mario is space in awesome, but from what I've seen so far it is poorly implemented.[/quote]

Jesus, making judgements about how easy a game is from seeing a couple videos? Some posts still amaze me even after I had thought I had seen it all.

Just curious as to what you guys are making all these assumptions on? From the video that is in the op that lasted about 1 minute?

Times like this I love being an IGN Insider member... this (and E3 or whatever it'll be called now) are the only times Insider is actually useful. Downloading a high res video at ~750Kbps right now!:p

EDIT* While that looks fancy and all, I'm starting to wonder if it'll play like Mario. To me, Mario has always been that game that anybody could pick up and play... and frankly, this doesn't look like the Mario I've become accustomed to.

[quote name='Dr Mario Kart']Its better if you think of the little planets as just spherical PLATFORMS and not levels within themselves. The levels could be quite huge. You could analogue a water level in M64, where instead of water you have space, and instead of platforms floating on water, you have small planetoids.[/quote]

There is no way in hell i'm playing even one level made up of a million tiny little fucking platforms. That's retarded.

[quote name='Scorch']There is no way in hell i'm playing even one level made up of a million tiny little fucking platforms. That's retarded.[/quote]

Nothing in that video looked even remotely retarded. Im buying first day. When has a Mario game ever let the public down? I haven't ever been let down by one (not counting the sports titles)

[quote name='schuerm26']Nothing in that video looked even remotely retarded. Im buying first day. When has a Mario game ever let the public down? I haven't ever been let down by one (not counting the sports titles)[/QUOTE]

There are some that would say Mario Sunshine and New Super Mario Bros. were letdowns.

Im still waiting for a Mario game to be as good as or surpass Mario 64.

[quote name='rodeojones903']There are some that would say Mario Sunshine and New Super Mario Bros. were letdowns.

Im still waiting for a Mario game to be as good as or surpass Mario 64.[/quote]

Really?

I thought Sunshine was a top 5 game for any platform last generation.

That's besides the point though. How are people able to jump to conclusions on what you will do in this game based off that video?

there have been plenty of mario games that have been let downs but im sure you are speaking of the main mario games and not the various spinoffs. Mario is Missing and Mario Paint were let downs to me.

Mario games tend to be broken up into "worlds" that have distinct themes. I imagine that the videos are pushing this particular theme because of it being very different.

Theres no saying that there wont be a planet huge enough to resemble regular levels. You could have an entire world that is just that world, maybe a world with mostly water levels for example. For all we know the planet jumping could mostly be confined to "star world". It wont be, I'm just saying not to read to much into the video.

[quote name='lebowsky']I swear, some people must just hate fun.[/QUOTE]

Ahh the easy way out.

You win!

The concerns that people are having with this are legit in my opinion. What happened to the huge open areas of Mario 64? I just don't see the "fun" in walking around small spheres instead of exploring huge open areas that were in the other 3D Mario titles.

I dunno, I wished we could have seen some video of someone controlling mario...personally I never got the whole love of the mario brothers, but I most likely will give it a shot

What I saw was a lot of blasting to planet A, walking halfway around it to another booster thing and blasting the planet B. Rinse, repeat.

Now, I don't think Nintendo is stupid enough as to make this the whole game, but from what I've seen from this video, it looks fun... but not very.

bread's done
Back