Super Mario Galaxy - Gen. Discussion & Info.

[quote name='Oops! I did it again.']http://wii.ign.com/articles/833/833298p1.html

9.7 on IGN - incredible game gets an incredible score![/quote]
Only a 9.7!?

Outrage. OUTRAGE!!!

But seriously, if this got a 9.7, then hopes of any other Wii game getting above that are hopelessly slim. Without reading the full review yet, he seems to have given the graphics a 9.5, while simultaneously saying that it is a gorgeous game and without a doubt the best looking Wii game ever. Why not give the graphics a 10 then, with Wii's inherent graphical limitations in mind? I knpw that IGN doesn't average their scores to get the overall score, but still.

[quote name='evilmax17']Only a 9.7!?

Outrage. OUTRAGE!!!

But seriously, if this got a 9.7, then hopes of any other Wii game getting above that are hopelessly slim. Without reading the full review yet, he seems to have given the graphics a 9.5, while simultaneously saying that it is a gorgeous game and without a doubt the best looking Wii game ever. Why not give the graphics a 10 then, with Wii's inherent graphical limitations in mind? I knpw that IGN doesn't average their scores to get the overall score, but still.[/QUOTE]

Yes, I'm really disgusted at how the "pro" videogame media has panned this game even though I was expecting it. They talk about how awesome it is, and how classic it is and then turn around and not give it a 10. Other games with bigger problems get 10's, but not what most are calling the greatest platformer to come around in years. Nope not that game. Not 10 worthy.

The reviews for SMG have proven without a shadow of a doubt that the Wii or its games will never get a fair review. IF SMG is not worthy of a 10 then nothing fucking is.

[quote name='munch']

I'm waiting for the inevitable 8.7 from GS.

I preordered this today at TRU. I couldn't pass that deal up. Now someone buy Mario Strikers from me![/quote]

probably a stupid question, but what is GS?

[quote name='Scrubking']Yes, I'm really disgusted at how the "pro" videogame media has panned this game.[/quote]How has this game been panned again? It's at like ~97% at gamerankings.com. I may be wrong, but that's pretty damn high. Have you even read any of the reviews? Everyone is busting a fucking nut over it with very minor quibbles.

[quote name='The Crotch']A reasonable complaint overshadowed by hyperbole and emotion, and thus easily brushed off by many-a-passerby as "meager fanboyism".[/QUOTE]

Agreed, I've never seen anybody so outraged by a game (which they never played) getting a 9.7 out of a ten.

Still, really, really high scores. You kind of really need to read between the lines and know that they'll never give a game a 10. This is about as good as it gets so just be happy that it rounds up.

10! Im pysched.

I read and post on IGN alot, I was kind of pissed off though that there is a semi-spoiler on the first page of the review. I have to try to refrain from reading it so everything is completely new. Just about another week.

Crap I forgot to drop by TRU to reserve this. I'm not sure how excited I am about this, theres too much happening all over the place.

Wow, gamespot is consistently the lowest score for most nintendo games. If they gave it a 9.5 I wonder if this game has potential to be in the top 5 on gamerankings all time list?

[quote name='evilmax17']Only a 9.7!?

Outrage. OUTRAGE!!!

But seriously, if this got a 9.7, then hopes of any other Wii game getting above that are hopelessly slim. Without reading the full review yet, he seems to have given the graphics a 9.5, while simultaneously saying that it is a gorgeous game and without a doubt the best looking Wii game ever. Why not give the graphics a 10 then, with Wii's inherent graphical limitations in mind? I knpw that IGN doesn't average their scores to get the overall score, but still.[/quote]Because, for as great as Galaxy looks, we will see improvements in the years to come. You don't give a 2nd generation game a perfect 10 in the visuals.

from Gonintendo

Early Japanese software/hardware sales - last week (Galaxy sales)
November 9th, 2007

1.Super Mario Galaxy  - 256000
2.Ace Combat 6 - 6 67000
3.Final Fantasy Tactics A2 -  52000
4.Nishimura Kyotaro -  21000
5.Super Robot Taisen 2nd  - 20000
6.Pokemon Mystery Dungeon 2 - 19000
7.Nintendo Literature  - 19000
8.Wii Sports  - 17000
9.Wii Play  - 16000
10.Ar Tonelico II  - 14000

DSL - 80000
PSP - 57000
Wii - 41000
360 - 17000
PS3 - 16000
PS2 - 11000

arghh.. i've been convinced with all these good reviews to get this game. hopefully TRU will give me the 25 bucks off up front.

Wow, 9.5 from GS is much more impressive than the 9.7 from IGN. The latter was expected, the former definitely not.

CouRageous, your avatar was in my DS. I was like "Holy shit, it's him!"

[quote name='WiiGame']arghh.. i've been convinced with all these good reviews to get this game. hopefully TRU will give me the 25 bucks off up front.[/quote]A guy with a Mario avatar needs convincing to get a new Mario game?

[quote name='VAD3R or Fro']I think this could be game of the year. Even with Halo 3 up against it.[/QUOTE]

Halo 3? Orange Box and Bioshock have higher averages then Halo 3.
It's amazing that even with all the stellar FPS games out there, Super Mario Galaxies is prolly going to beat them all, and will be *THE* reason to own the Wii this year... till Smash Brothers comes out.

[quote name='Monsta Mack']It's amazing that even with all the stellar FPS games out there, Super Mario Galaxies is prolly going to beat them all, and will be *THE* reason to own the Wii this year... till Smash Brothers comes out.[/quote]SSBB comes out next year.

9.8 from Gametrailers

as for the 9.5 from Gamespot, I can only think of a Phoenix Wright quote:

"The Miracle has happened"

[quote name='WiiGame']arghh.. i've been convinced with all these good reviews to get this game. hopefully TRU will give me the 25 bucks off up front.[/quote]

I can guarntee you that they will not - the idea is to get you to spend more, not to give you $25 off the title.

Pre-Ordered my copy today, got the last of the Pre-Order thangs.

Feeling quite content.

I'm avoiding pre-ordering, just in case my local TRU tries to pull any shenanigans regarding the gift card.

Does anybody know how many copies of a game TRU will order in relation to their preorders? A lot more, a little more, no more?

[quote name='evilmax17']I'm avoiding pre-ordering, just in case my local TRU tries to pull any shenanigans regarding the gift card.

Does anybody know how many copies of a game TRU will order in relation to their preorders? A lot more, a little more, no more?[/quote]

No idea, but I did ask the lady about the gift card. She kind of smiled - not sure if I was supposed to know about this or not, but she said "yes, that's correct, we're doing this."

[quote name='The Crotch']I wish I had a local TRU. Not being able to take advantage of this is killing me.[/QUOTE]

:[

I send you VC game for Xmicus.

Starcraft 64!

[quote name='The Crotch']I wish I had a local TRU. Not being able to take advantage of this is killing me.[/quote]

I drove 15 miles to get to one...

So I lucked out and got a copy at a local BB. (I'm in St. Paul, MN, the store was the Roseville BB near the Rosedale Mall.) They shelved it by mistake, god bless 'em: I was bummed that I'd have to wait until Tuesday or next Wednesday to play it. I freaked out when I first put the disc in as the SMG logo didn't appear in its window, then I realized there was a system update loaded on the disc and updated accordingly. Then it was on to the new Mario. Booyah.

I'm only 8 stars in and it's pretty good so far. Nothing revelatory below, just chipping with impressions a bit early. Spoilers just in case some sensitive souls out there don't want to discuss/read early impressions ahead of release. Realize I'm being kind of a hardon in posting bland impressions when most folks want to discuss review scores, but this is probably the only time I'll get a title this far ahead and fuck it, you know?

The good:
  • The last star I got was on the Sweet Sweet Galaxy course Rocky Road, the one with the moving floor with cookie cutout obstacles. It's a pure platforming stage. So much fun.
  • I dig the bee costume. Only used it to get one star so far but I liked it, and the mechanic for flying is nicely done.
  • I'm glad they're doing it as only three hits to die. Makes coins worth going for.
  • The whole she-bang is pretty good overall: graphics, music, effects are all fun. They've pulled some familiar 2D characters into the 3D realm (e.g. Pokey Cactus) and what I've seen fits in very nicely.
  • The ability to have 2P act as star collector and enemy stunner cooperatively is a GREAT feature for gaming with kids, wives, or anybody else who wants to take turns or watch. It's just a simple way to pull an observer even further into the game.
  • In roaming around the comet observatory, the game appears to be huge. And there may be more than one of these observatories. I haven't been reading up on SMG much, but there have got to be a ton of galaxies out there. With my gaming time as it is, I'll be lucky to get 100% complete before Brawl arrives. It's a good feeling.

The bad:
  • Ray surfing. A waste of my time. It handles terribly, and if it along with cow racing in Wii Play are allowable as weak indicators of the fitness of motion control for racing, motion control in MK Wii may very well suck balls.
  • This isn't "bad", really, but the lives really start to rack up after a while. I played just over 2 hours and when I had to quit I had around 29 lives. I wasn't aiming to find 1ups, the only thing I was doing purposefully was collecting shitloads of star bits. They really start to add up. So the game is more difficult in that it takes fewer hits to put Mario down, but it gives a lot of that difficulty back (at least it does so far) in the fact that you can rack up 30 lives in 2 hrs of play without realizing it.

Hot damn, better than I expected. It's a shame I'm broke for the next week, I'd love to take advantage of the TRU deal.

Eh... such is life, I suppose.

I'd better hurry up and finish Ratchet and Clank Future, because this game will probably make me forget about it, as great as R&C is. :) Got a soft spot for Mario.

[quote name='dothog']

The bad:
  • Ray surfing. A waste of my time. It handles terribly, and if it along with cow racing in Wii Play are allowable as weak indicators of the fitness of motion control for racing, motion control in MK Wii may very well suck balls.
[/quote]

Ray surfing was playable at E for All, and it was crap and I stayed away from it. It controls terribly and was just annoying. The only dark spot in my playtime.

[quote name='dothog']
The bad:
  • This isn't "bad", really, but the lives really start to rack up after a while. I played just over 2 hours and when I had to quit I had around 29 lives. I wasn't aiming to find 1ups, the only thing I was doing purposefully was collecting shitloads of star bits. They really start to add up. So the game is more difficult in that it takes fewer hits to put Mario down, but it gives a lot of that difficulty back (at least it does so far) in the fact that you can rack up 30 lives in 2 hrs of play without realizing it.
[/QUOTE]

If it makes you feel any better, the lives reset back to three when you turn off the game, I believe.

TRU is fairly smart.

Here I am, broke and with WAY too much work to do next week, and they pop this deal out. I was going to wait for Mario, but really, if there is ANY possible way to scrounge up the $50, you'd be absolutely foolish not to.

I want the game... and I want AT LEAST Umbrella Chronicles and the Zapper this month, which I'm guaranteed that TRU will have at least one of those.

Seriously, I love this deal. Research papers? Ha, Mario time!

I'm now 52 stars into the game.

After playing the 'toy levels', its easily my game of the year up to now, and possibly my favorite Mario game of all time (only time will tell).

Visually, it looks really bad scaled to my 26" 720p Samsung HDTV (Samsung are well known for being bad at scaling sdtv to their hdtv's). Without all the jaggies, it would look a treat though!.

Mario Galaxy is all about gameplay though, and it excels with it too!. :applause:

[quote name='Ikohn4ever']from Gonintendo

Early Japanese software/hardware sales - last week (Galaxy sales)
November 9th, 2007

1.Super Mario Galaxy  - 256000
2.Ace Combat 6 - 6 67000
3.Final Fantasy Tactics A2 -  52000
4.Nishimura Kyotaro -  21000
5.Super Robot Taisen 2nd  - 20000
6.Pokemon Mystery Dungeon 2 - 19000
7.Nintendo Literature  - 19000
8.Wii Sports  - 17000
9.Wii Play  - 16000
10.Ar Tonelico II  - 14000

DSL - 80000
PSP - 57000
Wii - 41000
360 - 17000
PS3 - 16000

PS2 - 11000[/QUOTE]

Wait, so the 360 outsold the PS3 in Japan? That's crazy.

[quote name='munch']Wait, so the 360 outsold the PS3 in Japan? That's crazy.[/quote]According to Famitsu. Media Create will be out tonight. I think it was price drop + Elite restock + AC6 that did it. Price drop hasn't done much for the PS3 though. White PS3 + R&C next week should help it, one would think. Consoles are just dead in Japan.

As far as availability goes, I assume that since some stores are accidentally breaking street date, most if not all probably have the game, or will by Monday. I'm very close to committing to a sick day.

[quote name='b*utch']I'm now 52 stars into the game.

After playing the 'toy levels', its easily my game of the year up to now, and possibly my favorite Mario game of all time (only time will tell).

Visually, it looks really bad scaled to my 26" 720p Samsung HDTV (Samsung are well known for being bad at scaling sdtv to their hdtv's). Without all the jaggies, it would look a treat though!.

Mario Galaxy is all about gameplay though, and it excels with it too!. :applause:[/QUOTE]
It's not hard to find jaggies on SDTV if you look for them. To people who think this is a problem, I guess I would say that if you're approaching SMG with graphics as your first priority, then maybe SMG or any other Wii game isn't the place for you to be.

I played some more late last night while the house slept and got up to 26 stars. I'm currently sleepwalking through work. I tried to fall asleep earlier, but the jones got to me and I had to play. Was worth it.

And as far as other Marios go, I'm too big a fan of SMB3, SMW, and SMW2 to hand out the "best mario ever" before I've completed the game. I'm still not crazy about 3D platforming--I hate those moments where you want the camera to be somewhere else and it won't turn or you push the stick in one direction and your character does something unexpected. So though I still liked them and admired them for what they did, SM64 and SMS didn't come close to measuring up to the big 3 of 2D Mario for me.

This early into SMG, I can say this much: I enjoy SMG much more than I ever did SM64 or SMS. We'll see how it stacks up to the big 3 later on.

[quote name='yukine']Hot damn, better than I expected. It's a shame I'm broke for the next week, I'd love to take advantage of the TRU deal.

Eh... such is life, I suppose.[/quote]

Do you know anyone in your area who is planning to get the game (and has $50), and do you have $25?

My suggestion to anyone who wants the game but can't scrape together $50 is find a buddy. Buddy buys game for themselves for $50, gets $25 GC. Buddy hands GC to you, you pay for your copy with your $25 and your buddy's GC. You get a $25 GC from TRU that you hand back to your buddy. He gets the same result he would have had in the first place (paid $50, gets the game and a $25 GC), and you get the game for $25. This doesn't apply to most of us, but it could help out some kids who don't have the ability to put together a lot of money.

[quote name='dothog']It's not hard to find jaggies on SDTV if you look for them. To people who think this is a problem, I guess I would say that if you're approaching SMG with graphics as your first priority, then maybe SMG or any other Wii game is the place for you to be.
[/QUOTE]

Why do people always overreact like this when someone says something negative about Wii graphics.

I mean the post you quoted above ended with this:

[quote name='b*utch']
Mario Galaxy is all about gameplay though, and it excels with it too! :applause: [/quote]

Just wishing that graphics could be a bit better doesn't mean people aren't still enjoying the game or that they are putting graphics as their first priority.

It's just saying, "Damn this is a great game, but I do wish the graphics were a bit better on my HDTV."

But I guess to some people any negative comment on their console of choice is an outrageous affront and the person who made it should just sell the console etc. etc.

[quote name='Cyb3-rr']What are the chances of TRU being sold out on day 1 if I don't preorder?[/QUOTE]

Pretty low I'd expect. But maybe higher than other stores with the GC deal.

[quote name='guessed']My suggestion to anyone who wants the game but can't scrape together $50 is find a buddy. Buddy buys game for themselves for $50, gets $25 GC. Buddy hands GC to you, you pay for your copy with your $25 and your buddy's GC. You get a $25 GC from TRU that you hand back to your buddy. He gets the same result he would have had in the first place (paid $50, gets the game and a $25 GC), and you get the game for $25. This doesn't apply to most of us, but it could help out some kids who don't have the ability to put together a lot of money.[/quote]

This is what I plan on doing except I'm going to do it solo.

1. Buy copy of SMG for $50 and get $25 gift card ($50 cost so far)
2. Use $25 gift card and buy second copy of SMG for $25 total and get $25 gift card ($75 cost so far)
3. Return one of the copies of SMG and the remaining giftcard for $50 ($25 total cost).

[quote name='javeryh']This is what I plan on doing except I'm going to do it solo.

1. Buy copy of SMG for $50 and get $25 gift card ($50 cost so far)
2. Use $25 gift card and buy second copy of SMG for $25 total and get $25 gift card ($75 cost so far)
3. Return one of the copies of SMG and the remaining giftcard for $50 ($25 total cost).[/QUOTE]

I'd just sell the extra copy. You'll come out more ahead that way since you can get $40-45 easily and keep both GCs that way.

Basically in that case you put out $75, get $50 in gift cards and then $40+ for selling the game.

bread's done
Back