Super Robot Taisen OG2 and Summon Night 2 NEW at Gamestop B&M and Online! $19.99 each

Cao Cao

CAGiversary!
Just got back from a nearby Gamestop, and it seems they have marked down these GBA games recently. Here are the links since it's now (2/2) online too:
Summon Night: Swordcraft Story 2
http://www.gamestop.com/product.asp?product_id=160745

Super Robot Taisen: Original Generation 2
http://www.gamestop.com/product.asp?product_id=160744

Both seem to be worthwhile GBA purchases, with Summon Night 2 having an 80% average at Game Rankings, and Super Robot Taisen 2, which I think got an implied "GBA Game of the Year" from GameSpot*. Both are Atlus-published titles and were apparently improved a great deal over their predecessors.

As for me, I bought SRTOG2 largely because I'm halfway through the first one, and I'm loving it so far.

*Even though GameSpot officially gave the GBA Game of the Year award to SRTOG1, it's clear from their reasoning that it won because the storyline of the first game is important in OG2, even to the point where it would be easy to feel lost if you've never played the first game or read a story FAQ.

UPDATE (2/1): Prices CONFIRMED for GS/EB B&M stores by fatbeer, botticus, and GTZ_NSR. Prices have still not been updated online though.

UPDATE (2/2): ONLINE GET! Yep, as Roufuss pointed out, they finally updated the web site with these price drops. Looks like they were saving them for the new batch of online price drops detailed in this topic:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=126664

On another note, I went to another Gamestop today and bought Summon Night 2. Only got through the intro so far, but it seems to be shaping up to be a solid game with some humorous dialogue :).

Confirmed these (in case anyone was still unsure) in-store today while being rejected for penny guides. I think I got a sarcastic "And you have a nice day sir!" as I left too.

[quote name='Soujiro_Seta']Is this a universal price drop on both games or is it just EB/GS?
Ive been wanting to pick up summon night for a while now. But after reading through this thread I might have to get Super Robot Taisen 1 instead.[/QUOTE]

It's universal. Both my EB and GS had dropped them.

Thanks OP! I was able to pick up SRT OG 2, and Summon Night 1 & 2 for $20 each. SRT OG 2 and SN 2 were gutted, but SN 1 was sealed :whistle2:D I was pleasantly surprised.

Kind of wondering if this is some kind of weird mistake over at EB / GS... espicially since the website still isn't updating and we're getting multiple confirmation now on the $19.99 price for all the games.

Regardless, I'm going to grab SRT 2 and Summon Night 2 tonight.

I just picked up Summon Night 1, and SRT 2 (already have the other 2 games) for $20 each at my EB. Of course they were open box, but at least everything was in good shape. I plan on playing these anyway so I didnt mind too much that they were open.

I dont think its that odd that the website doesnt match the store. Plenty of websites are run independently from their b&m counterparts, and have different sales and clearances. With the website, you'll be sure that the games are sealed, but they box may get crushed in shipment so its a double edged sword.

[quote name='Puffa469']
I dont think its that odd that the website doesnt match the store. Plenty of websites are run independently from their b&m counterparts, and have different sales and clearances. With the website, you'll be sure that the games are sealed, but they box may get crushed in shipment so its a double edged sword.[/QUOTE]

EB / GS have generally always matched for the most part... other than now, I can't name a time when the two haven't matched at all.

Most sales are found at EB / GS from the website updating the price and than it being the same in store.

I'd appreciate it if you guys would stop posting deals on games I want. Then I would have more time to appreciate nature and be wealither as well.

[quote name='Rozz']I'd appreciate it if you guys would stop posting deals on games I want. Then I would have more time to appreciate nature and be wealither as well.[/QUOTE]

LOL

Well I put the Super Robot Taisen games on my wishlist, but rather spend my money on Summon Night 1+2. Why? I was reading more reviews and alot of people mentioned SRT plays much similiar to Fire Emblem. While I enjoyed Fire Emblem from the time I played it, It's one of those games that takes too much time involvement in, and I'm more into the traditional RPG that Summon Night is like. I'm also reading Summon Night is 20 hours in length or less, any ideas how long the sequel is?

[quote name='cecilvaliant']do u guys think that u need to play SRT 1 to understand SRT 2? just curious...[/quote]According to GameSpy's review, yes.

[quote name='Rozz']I'd appreciate it if you guys would stop posting deals on games I want. Then I would have more time to appreciate nature and be wealither as well.[/quote]

haha, you read my mind

[quote name='cecilvaliant']do u guys think that u need to play SRT 1 to understand SRT 2? just curious...[/QUOTE]

yes,about 70% of main characters in super robot taisen 1 are in 2.

what about summon night? do u need to play #1 to understand #2? =P just wondering if i should get both #1's for SRT and SN

Confirmed $19.99 @ my local GS. I picked up Summon Knight 2, which I've been wanting, and used wavebird.

Prices online have always been inconsistent with in-store. They're the same company, but each is considered it's own unique operation. Still, when I had a problem with a pre-order in-store, I was able to get it resolved online.

[quote name='cecilvaliant']what about summon night? do u need to play #1 to understand #2? =P just wondering if i should get both #1's for SRT and SN[/quote]

From what I understand of the second game, no, you don't need to have played the first. In fact, I hear the sequel makes some improvements over the original game.

If anyone lives in Meriden/Wallingford/New Britain CT area, I picked up the last Summon Night 2 at the mall in Meriden for Software Etc, but they still had copies at EB. Both places had copies of OG2, and neither had copies of Summon Night 1 or Super Robot 1. I plan on buying part 1 on Amazon for an extra $5.

[quote name='gunm']Confirmed $19.99 @ my local GS. I picked up Summon Knight 2, which I've been wanting, and used wavebird.

Prices online have always been inconsistent with in-store. They're the same company, but each is considered it's own unique operation. Still, when I had a problem with a pre-order in-store, I was able to get it resolved online.

From what I understand of the second game, no, you don't need to have played the first. In fact, I hear the sequel makes some improvements over the original game.[/QUOTE]

you dont need to play part 2 of summon knight to play part 1.

Summon knight to get though the main story only

Part 1 only clocked in around 10 hours
Part 2 took me around 23 hours to beat it

both were good games.

Thanks again OP! I picked up SN:SS 1 & 2 and SRT: OG 1 & 2 as well as Riviera. Everything was $19.99 except Riviera, which rang up as $25 sealed. I didn't plan on getting any of these games, but the deal was too good to pass up and I've loved Atlus since Ogre Battle 64. Good thing I'm getting my bonus on Tuesday!

i hope Yggdra Union would go down soon sometime too =P lol

anyways, right now i bought SRT 1 so i could get SRT 2 later, i also interested in getting summon night 1 +2. i just recently got a micro and started getting GBA games again while i wait for good ds games later. wonder what other good gba games to get now....

[quote name='gunm']Confirmed $19.99 @ my local GS. I picked up Summon Knight 2, which I've been wanting, and used wavebird.

From what I understand of the second game, no, you don't need to have played the first. In fact, I hear the sequel makes some improvements over the original game.[/QUOTE]

Confirmed 19.99 for that GBA robot game. Sloat Gamestop San Francisco. Picked up Splinter Cell 360 used for 29.99 via online coupon instead.

http://www.ebgames.com/gs/weeklyad/current/

you still have an hour yo!

If the website doesn't change their prices in the next couple days, I guess I'll have to stop by the store to pick up copies. Does anyone know what time the websites usually update their pricing?

[quote name='cecilvaliant']what about summon night? do u need to play #1 to understand #2? =P just wondering if i should get both #1's for SRT and SN[/QUOTE]

nope,summon night 2 have different character with a different story.Battle system is slight tune to balance things out.overall,you can still abuse fusion system by constantly forging same repeated weapons

Grr, 2 EBGS so far and all I found was 1 "open but new" and 1 sealed but crushed. :cry: I think I'm going to make phone calls from here on out.

[quote name='fairtrade']Grr, 2 EBGS so far and all I found was 1 "open but new" and 1 sealed but crushed. :cry: I think I'm going to make phone calls from here on out.[/quote]I gots me SN2 open but new last night. It's for me, it has the box and instructions, so thats really all I care about. Just gotta find SN1 now.

[quote name='Roufuss']It's official - price just dropped for all the games on the website.[/quote]

That's good to hear, I went to my EBgames thinking they had the games, according to the site, but they had zero copies. I'm hoping the games drop on Amazon.com too so I can grab them with no tax and the free shipping.

bah I shouldn't buy these.. Finishing FFV advance and FFVI advance drops next week..

what are the chances these won't become impossibly hard to find in a month or two?

Picked up a sealed copy of each last night..whoo hoo! Of course now that I have bought them, they might drop to $10 in 12 days...

oh well..life of a VG junkie!

If you're buying this in store, and are getting the gutted copy, MAKE SURE TO CHECK IT ASAP.

I went to one GS, got a sealed SRT 2, and a gutted Summon Night 2, went out to the car, checked the SN 2, and sure enough someone stole the manual out of it. The manager looked for 10 minutes straight for the manual, apologized, and refunded my money or wanted to know if I wanted something else instead (I chose to exchange for a Classic Controller).

The second Gamestop, manager was an asshole, I asked him for Summon Night 2, he halfasses it in the computer, tells me no, and the employee next to him goes "Wait... it says right there we have a new one". The manager shoots him a dirty look, goes into the cupboard, and sells me a sealed Summon Night 2.

Heh, now I've got both SRTOG2 and SNSS2. Now all that's left for me right now is to buy Dragonball Advanced Adventure which is also $19.99 new, and there are a few GSs nearby with 4+ copies in, so no worries about getting the gutted copy.

[quote name='Roufuss']If you're buying this in store, and are getting the gutted copy, MAKE SURE TO CHECK IT ASAP.

I went to one GS, got a sealed SRT 2, and a gutted Summon Night 2, went out to the car, checked the SN 2, and sure enough someone stole the manual out of it. The manager looked for 10 minutes straight for the manual, apologized, and refunded my money or wanted to know if I wanted something else instead (I chose to exchange for a Classic Controller).
.[/QUOTE]

... and this is why I hate gutted crap. But luckily my box, manual, and game was in "new" condition. I rather not spend a dime at EB/GS, but for $20 it was hard to resist considering wal-mart, amazon and all the other sites are charging $30.

As I mentioned earlier, my local shops say it's $29 for all of these games. I showed the manager this thread on my phone, and miraculously he price matched. That's the first pleasant experience I've had at GS.

[quote name='GTZ_NSR']The prices seem to be showing up on the site now (Gamestop.com atleast).[/QUOTE]

Yeah, don't setttle for a gutted copy. Order from the website right now, use the free shipping code, and you have a 98% chance of getting a sealed copy.

[quote name='Josef']Yeah, don't setttle for a gutted copy. Order from the website right now, use the free shipping code, and you have a 98% chance of getting a sealed copy.[/QUOTE]

A sealed crushed copy...

[quote name='kiun']A sealed crushed copy...[/quote]

I'm really hoping Amazon.com drops the prices...then I'd get a sealed uncrushed copy.

[quote name='kiun']A sealed crushed copy...[/QUOTE]

The last GBA game I ordered from ebgames.com did come in a bubble mailer, but it wasn't crushed. I guess I was lucky.

[quote name='Monsta Mack']... and this is why I hate gutted crap. But luckily my box, manual, and game was in "new" condition. I rather not spend a dime at EB/GS, but for $20 it was hard to resist considering wal-mart, amazon and all the other sites are charging $30.[/QUOTE]

Yea, exactly.

Luckily the manager was really cool about it.

Thanks OP. I picked up SRT2 at a B&M Gamestop, and ordered Summon Knight 2 from online.

Two other price drops worth noting:

Tales of Phantasia $14.99
Mario Tennis Power Tour $14.99

Both are B&M and online, though Mario Tennis was back-ordered when I last checked.

[quote name='esquire']Thanks OP. I picked up SRT2 at a B&M Gamestop, and ordered Summon Knight 2 from online.

Two other price drops worth noting:

Tales of Phantasia $14.99
Mario Tennis Power Tour $14.99

Both are B&M and online, though Mario Tennis was back-ordered when I last checked.[/QUOTE]

Picked up ToP at Gamestop.com last night with free shipping :D

[quote name='RollingSkull']Why is it that I have never heard of either of these games?

Or this Eggsdesil or whatever it was...[/QUOTE]

Neither were "high-press" titles; however, one who keeps up with Japanese RPG's should have heard of them. Yggdrasil Labyrinth is for DS and is not out yet. It has also been renamed Etrian Oddyssey

[quote name='SeraphiMichael']Neither were "high-press" titles; however, one who keeps up with Japanese RPG's should have heard of them. Yggdrasil Labyrinth is for DS and is not out yet. It has also been renamed Etrian Oddyssey[/quote]He may be referring to Yggdra Union, which is an SRPG on the GBA that just came out in... November?

I picked up SRT2, sealed, today at my EB. At first they couldn't find it, but I pointed it out in their locked cabinet ;). I noticed they had at least 4 or 5 copies of Summon Knight 2 in there. D'oh! And I preordered it from this store (and have yet to play it). Oh well...

bread's done
Back