Super Smash Bros. Brawl - Gen. Discussion & Info

Hylian has written a sick composition regarding how MK beats G&W. A lot of new info for me to absorb

Ok, so a lot of people think GW vs MK is even. I myself thought this for a long time. I have recently played hours on end with M2K though and got to play Dojo a ton and my opinion of the match-up has changed. Not because I lost, but because of what I learned. M2K taught me a lot of things. The reason GW seems to go even with MK is because most MK players approach the match wrong. You have to play a bit differently against GW with MK.

Ok, let's get started.

Let's start this lesson off with the Bair. GW has an amazing bair and many people have problems with it. Guess what though?

Bair is almost useless against MK.

That's right. So far, only two MK players have known about this when I played them and that was M2K and LeeMartin(because M2K told him). It's a very simple trick to get around his bair. Basically, if you ever see GW bair and you are on the ground...then just press upB right when the bair reaches you. The invincibility frames on MK's upB let's you hit GW out of his bair with upB. Don't even shield, just upB. If you shield they can space it to avoid the upB out of shield but if you just upB right before the turtle hits you then you will hit GW.

After you do this a few times, most GW players will just fall apart. Many of them rely on bair and once you shut it down they don't know what to do.

Now, I actually don't rely on bair. I'm known to not use it much at all compared to other GW players, so this didn't effect me THAT much considering I am very good without it. BUT it IS one of GW's best moves and without it you can be pressured into some really hard situations. Against M2K I would stop using it for awhile then randomly use it and he would still catch me out of it with UpB. The only time I could hit him with bair was in the air. With this tool gone MK can start to pick away at the rest of GW's game.

Now, some more information
smile.gif

When playing against GW, just walk away from him and Fsmash. Yes, this works. Fsmash hit's high and will ruin the majority of GW's approach. It has almost no lag after and GW is really really really hardpressed to punish it. After you hit them a few times, they will start to do really obvious things to get around it. They will jump over you and Dair. This is almost the only way to get around a MK who is walking away and fsmashing. Since you know they are going to do this, all you have to do is shield both hits of the dair(it hits twice and throws many people off guard so just make sure you shield both hits) and then drop your shield and dsmash. It's really easy.

So, with up'bing, fsmashing, and shielding GW's dair you have effectivly shut down almost anything GW can do.

Smart players will gain stage position on you though and force you near the edge. This isn't really a problem. Mix up fairs to Ftilts and Dtilts. Dash grab, or other things.

Some great moves to use against GW: Ftilt when he dtilts, Nado if you see him bair when not close to you, if they full hop fair you can uair them, retreating fair on their shield to ftilt is good, glide attack to nair to ftilt is good if you can get it off...

Now, some MORE things
smile.gif

Edgeguarding!

GW is a very hard character to edgeguard for most people. He has a very good recovery. Well, MK can punish it pretty easily. Make them drop low to recover and then hug the edge right before they up-B. They will land on the lip of the edge and there is enough lag for you to ledgehop a nair on them. Delay the nair a very tiny bit so it hits with both hits and sends them backwards off the edge. This works almost every single time.

If GW already has the edge then walk a bit away from it and charge fsmash. Once you see him make movement, let go and then Dsmash as soon as possibile. The only thing GW can really do to this is up B away. If you see him up B then after the Fsmash jump up and backwards twice. GW should airdodge because he is in range for an upB, so just wait and then punish.

On to the next subject!

What to do if GW grabs you!

Most GW players will Dthrow you. Make sure you know the timing on the tech. It's not that hard. Otherwise you will eat a dsmash. Mix up your techs randomly so they have trouble hitting you.

Better GW players will Uthrow you. Once they uthrow, try and get to the ledge as quickly as possibile. Gliding is a good way to do this. The edge is the safest way back on to the stage. It's almost impossibile to get back on the ground without taking damage from a good GW player.

Things to watch out for:

GW's Dtilt. GW players like to Dtilt after their smashes to cover themselves. This is really hard to punish, so be careful. And try not to get grabbed.

If you are recovering and choose to glide, be aware that GW can run off and fair you really really low. Also be aware that GW's Dtilt will hit MK's up B from the ledge.

I wished Mai lets me in the room earlier but that theraflu medicine really knocked me unconscious for liek 6 hours. I could play brawl if anyone is still available. I doubt it. I think everyone is asleep.

[quote name='hero101']I wished Mai lets me in the room earlier but that theraflu medicine really knocked me unconscious for liek 6 hours. I could play brawl if anyone is still available. I doubt it. I think everyone is asleep.[/QUOTE]

I'm awake! Been playing Burnout Paradise for a few hrs today.

I don't feel like playing Brawl though. Something else?

[quote name='Strell']NO I WANT TO PLAY BRAWL.

Don't listen to goo. He is a tempter.[/quote]

ARe you still available strell? Let me know and I will get on. Just say ready.

Smashing at 3 am for me and 6 am for hero.

Join if you're nocturnal. *howls*

Edit: Strell, I hate you. I'm sure dmunkee does too. You and your blasted connection! :bomb:

Last edited by a moderator:
Good lag free games Strell. I'm glad my hero flu was cleared up enough so I could finally play this game or do anything without feeling like I'm going to pass out. I haven't brawled this late in awhile, but it was fun.

I knew it was time to leave when we started to run out of characters and got down to regular suit Samus and Mario. That match was unnecessarily long, during that match I started to zone out and think about my day :lol:

Yeah, good games. Though I found out that 4AM probably isn't the best time to try new characters, for me anyway :lol:

And yes, both Evergoo and I were playing the "try to connect with Strell" minigame. We know what happens, but we came back anyway. This must be how Stell treats the ladies.

[quote name='dmunkee']Yeah, good games. Though I found out that 4AM probably isn't the best time to try new characters, for me anyway :lol:

And yes, both Evergoo and I were playing the "try to connect with Strell" minigame. We know what happens, but we came back anyway. This must be how Stell treats the ladies.[/quote]

Maybe he gets turned on by the anime character avaters. :cool:

[quote name='Dr Mario Kart']I winnar is me. 1st out of 22 or so in San Antonio. $132.[/quote]
Tell me you saw boobs @ San Antonio, DMK. :roll: If not, the place is loaded with chest hair and body odor.

[quote name='Dr Mario Kart']some boobs were there for the melee tournament. I think they might have even been from Austin.[/quote]
They were chicks right? You can't be too sure.

That's it.

CARDBOARD BREAK DANCE BATTLE.

YOU 'N ME, CHAPPY.

Just wait until I get these yellow hightops on. Going to pop and lock so hard your mom's ovaries will feel it.

[quote name='Strell']. Going to pop and lock so hard your mom's ovaries will feel it.[/quote]

That's not going to be the first or last time her ovaries felt that.

Oh I went there

:roll:

[quote name='Strell']I don't get it.

Hooray![/quote]

There's a lot of things in life you won't get, like womens or respect :)

You set that up so nicely. :bouncy::bouncy::bouncy:

Where is that nude picture of strell's mom? :cool:

If me and the rest of goo clan (besides joe) + 1 more smasher add $2 each then we could get you the secret of mana. I think we could just pay lilboo off to gift you it.

Dunno how many of you still work on the single-player stuff, but I'm missing just one more of the Challenges. I need the "all stickers" trophy. I've got 675, and I hate farming for the damn things. It's taking forever to try and grab them.

I could use a hammer on it, but I wanted to complete all of the challenges without using a single hammer.

[quote name='Rig']Dunno how many of you still work on the single-player stuff, but I'm missing just one more of the Challenges. I need the "all stickers" trophy. I've got 675, and I hate farming for the damn things. It's taking forever to try and grab them.

I could use a hammer on it, but I wanted to complete all of the challenges without using a single hammer.[/quote]
I'm still missing the character wolf. No I don't know how to unlock him.

I have like 4 characters to unlock, I hate the Subspace Emissary though so a lot of them I unlocked the hard way.

I mostly want Toon Link which I don't have yet.

The other day I got the Cracker Launcher trophy for 1,000 or more KOs in brawls. I don't even know what most of them are and some seem impossible/are too much work. So I've never really made it a goal.
But I do have all of the characters unlocked. That was one of the first things I did when I got the game. It's not too difficult.
--

I'm thinking about playing tonight (in about 30 minutes) if I can find anyone online. Played against Rig and his friend yesterday and embarrassed myself by committing suicide with every character :lol:
I really can't take a break from this game or I'll have to pay the consequences.

Cheers to Joe's birthday. \\:D/ Let buy him a beer next time we see him. I guess no one wanted to chip in toward joe's wii games fund. Oh well, I tried. I would have done it.

[quote name='Strell']Where's Joe.

I want to give him his birthday spanking.

Hero I'll pitch in.[/quote]

Goodie Joeb B-Day Fund:

Hero + $2
Strell +$2 (pending)
-------$4

I think Foo could help gift it. He has a 1000 wii point in his tradelist. I already PM'ed him regarding this unless Strell wants to do it.

[quote name='maigoyume']Bah, weak sauce.

I'll chip in as well, IF and only IF strell does a naked HAWT Mario dance for Joe.[/quote]

Technically if he had Mario DDR, he could play that part. He just needs a white hat, a pair of white gloves and white briefs. :cool:

Edit: Sorry Strell you have to lose the briefs. Mai wants a see some public hair. Good luck Strell.

[quote name='hero101']Technically if he had Mario DDR, he could play that part. He just need a white hat, a pair of white gloves and white briefs. :cool:[/quote]I said NAKED.

So "he could play that part. He just need a white hat and pair of white gloves"

We need one more person. I think Strell has enough wii points. I think we should just pay him instead.

Strell, are you willing to do it?

Haha, you guys are awesome. Thanks for even considering gifting me something. :D That said, if you did get me Secret of Mana, I'd probably poop my pants (and post pictures of the result!).

This all reminds me: I'm going to add a few of your Wii numbers. I'll start with hero, Strell, maigo, yukine, and dyeknom.

Also, Strell:
I'm ready for my spanking :hot: And my 'hawt naked Mario dance'!

EDIT: dyeknom, what's your Wii number?

[quote name='Strell']Joe add me up on your address book.

Expect hawt things after that is done.[/quote]

Done! :) I'm gettin' antsy in the pantsy!

bread's done
Back