Super Street Fighter 4 - $39.99 (GS)

When SSFIV was announced, I guessed it would be $40. I don't think they will compensate SFIV owners that well, so I don't see myself getting it. I don't even see myself getting SSIV if they offered $20 off. I barely played SFIV after buying it.

[quote name='outerheaven']I think $30 would have been more proper. Especially since there isn't any new stages added. Hopefully there would be more additions that will give this price more crediability otherwise that price is shite.[/QUOTE]

I would rather have 10 new char and 0 new stages than one million new stages and no new characters.

[quote name='United_Korea']lame logo[/QUOTE]

It's pretty much just like the old Super Street Fighter logo in its styling so you're probably the minority with that opinion.

I'll admit the logo isn't great -- just as it wasn't great back then, either.

I hope there are actually character-specific stages and themes as well, I'm baffled why they didn't bother with this in SF IV.

My main hope is that the game becomes faster and less defensive than the way it's currently designed, but I'm not holding my breath on this one. (Similarly, that the PC version comes out much sooner than this one did.)

[quote name='SDC']New title, new retail release, new achievements/trophies.[/QUOTE]

arghh. I'm having achievements flashbacks. I got all 1000pts. The worst part wasn't the Hard Trials. It was the number of wins i had to get in online matches. It was brutally boring trying to rack up wins. And then some people would disconnect...and it was only player matches!

I'm probably going to go achievement hunting again when this game comes out :bomb:

[quote name='johnsdoe00']I'm surprised there was no "This is not a deal. Msrp is not a deal..." posted yet.[/QUOTE]

So videogame release news goes in the deals section? Nice.

[quote name='Lord_Kefka']Hmmmm, I almost bit on SFIV for $20 at Target clearance last week. Looks like I'll wait for this one to hit $20[/QUOTE]

well, you probably won't be playing SF for nearly a year. $20 now is worth it for several months of play

[quote name='LordSMVS']Yep when SSF4 comes out, I can pretty guarantee the original won't even be worth its weight in toilet paper. However there are "rumors" (most likely true) that keeping the original disc will net you something good when SSF4 debuts. Whether or not it's anything good or worth it doesn't really matter to me. I don't think I'll sell or trade my copy anyway. Probably if nothing better, I'll frame it and hang it on my wall.[/QUOTE]

The lead designer said that there will be a bonus for those who keep their original disc. He won't reveal what that is, though.

[quote name='Gothic Walrus']Worthless in value, but not if you want to play. The game's moved a ridiculous number of copies, and I guarantee that there will still be people playing the original online for a long time to come. Not everybody's going to want to upgrade, especially not for $40.[/QUOTE]

The core, hardcore audience sure as hell will move on.

[quote name='thirtytwoutside']In before all of the bitching about how this should be DLC or free or $20 or whatever - and the complaining will be mostly done by people who have no idea what this update entails (IT'S NOT JUST NEW CHARACTERS - IT'S A REBALANCED GAME WITH NEW GAMEPLAY ELEMENTS, ASSHOLES), nor would they buy it even if it was DLC.[/QUOTE]Really sticking your neck out there, predicting that there would be at least one person out there on the internet that would have a different opinion than yours.

I plan on buying this day one, but I'm going to try my best to do so without the caps, naming calling, or 'tude towards those that think otherwise about this game.

[quote name='Rozz']The lead designer said that there will be a bonus for those who keep their original disc. He won't reveal what that is, though.

The core, hardcore audience sure as hell will move on.[/QUOTE]

Oh wait, so he said keeping your disc? As in you can't just have played it on your 360?

That would an extremely stupid gesture since SSF4 is a straight upgrade to SF4, and there would be essentially no reason to play SF4 again.

[quote name='goldvenom69']SO basically this is a brand new game not a add on for the old one right?[/QUOTE]
Right, except there's suppose to be some sort of (minor?) bonus to encourage people to hang on to their old disc, rather than trade it in for credit towards this.

[quote name='R0wdi']Oh wait, so he said keeping your disc? As in you can't just have played it on your 360?

That would an extremely stupid gesture since SSF4 is a straight upgrade to SF4, and there would be essentially no reason to play SF4 again.[/QUOTE]

Yep, he said that Street Fighter IV fans will have to hold on to their original discs to experience the bonus. He won't reveal what it is, but that's what he said in an interview when this new edition was revealed a little while ago.

[quote name='Thrinn']Really sticking your neck out there, predicting that there would be at least one person out there on the internet that would have a different opinion than yours.

I plan on buying this day one, but I'm going to try my best to do so without the caps, naming calling, or 'tude towards those that think otherwise about this game.[/QUOTE]

You're right. But it's getting really old and really shaq-fu-ing annoying, seeing the assholes of the internet talking all this nonsense they know nothing about... it's quite annoying when SFIV is my/my friends game of choice. It's something you might say we're "passionate" about, being involved in the scene and all of that.

[quote name='Rozz']Yep, he said that Street Fighter IV fans will have to hold on to their original discs to experience the bonus. He won't reveal what it is, but that's what he said in an interview when this new edition was revealed a little while ago.[/QUOTE]
in that case, we should still sell our existing copy and buy it back for $2 (that's how much this game will worth when SSF4 comes out) if the "bonus" is worth it.

Im waiting for the price on SF4 PS3 to bottom out, i want 3 copies of it @ 10 bucks a peice (one for me, one for my brother, one for my cousin).

[quote name='thirtytwoutside']In before all of the bitching about how this should be DLC or free or $20 or whatever - and the complaining will be mostly done by people who have no idea what this update entails (IT'S NOT JUST NEW CHARACTERS - IT'S A REBALANCED GAME WITH NEW GAMEPLAY ELEMENTS, ASSHOLES), nor would they buy it even if it was DLC.
[/QUOTE]

Yup, there have never been any games that have introduced new gameplay mechanics or re-balancing via DLC. Nope, not one. Not Fallout 3, or Burnout Paradise, or GTA IV. I mean, if these AAA titles can't be expected to extend and/or change up the rules of their game without releasing a new title, why should we expect Capcom to?

I can't wait for Super Turbo Fallout 3 Championship Edition and Super Hyper Grand Theft Auto IV Alpha to be announced! Woot in for 3, day one!

... yeah.

If Capcom can't get their head out of their ass and bring their development into the 21st century, they will end up losing mind AND market share. Releasing a shitpile like this only caters to the hardcore SFIV shoryuken forums freaks, which are in the minority. The big 3 know that the key now to games is longevity through DLC. DLC has a greater ROI. DLC rarely goes on sale. DLC doesn't get dropped to a end-cap in the corner of a store because new releases need prime real estate. DLC doesn't get traded in for another person to buy at a discount with no return for the publisher.

Capcom is living in the stone age; if they can't start creating modular code that accepts updates and dlc freely, they are going to die at retail. Capcom stated that there was no way this update could have been done via DLC - that means the coders that wrote the original game or this update suck at their job. They failed to do what every other company is doing to their games; ie making them extendable, updatable, and fixable via console patches. I assume this comes from the fact that these guys are arcade designers, and are used to just being able to force arcade operators to buy new boards. (Although even now that is rare, since many arcade boards accept rom updates via cd/dvd)

I guarantee SSFIV will be clearanced to $20 bucks or less 4-6 months after release. (After the half million or so fighting game frame counter ocd weirdos have bought up the collectors editions and tournament sticks and decal kits and animated movies and there is no one left to buy the million or more copies still stuck on the shelves gathering dust and pissing off retailers.)

$20 is good for the original game guys, a fighting game needs practice (otherwise why would you be playing street fighter?) and you're gonna wanna be in practice when ssf4 comes out... waiting until ssf4 becomes $20? you'll be lightyears behind the skill level of other players

The mass market doesn't care about that - they care about value, and fun. And honestly, if Capcom still can't figure out how to do proper matchmaking at this point (making the whole "you'll be behind the curve" argument irrelevant), they don't even deserve $20 for their game.

I am constantly surprised by the amount of apologists that come out of the woodwork when Japanese developers do something backwards or plain out stupid. They need to catch up, learn their lessons and start offering the best in class services that Western publishers have been producing for years, and the hardcore need to stop forgiving them when they don't.

[quote name='tripredicus']Yup, there have never been any games that have introduced new gameplay mechanics or re-balancing via DLC. Nope, not one. Not Fallout 3, or Burnout Paradise, or GTA IV. I mean, if these AAA titles can't be expected to extend and/or change up the rules of their game without releasing a new title, why should we expect Capcom to?

I can't wait for Super Turbo Fallout 3 Championship Edition and Super Hyper Grand Theft Auto IV Alpha to be announced! Woot in for 3, day one!

... yeah.

If Capcom can't get their head out of their ass and bring their development into the 21st century, they will end up losing mind AND market share. Releasing a shitpile like this only caters to the hardcore SFIV shoryuken forums freaks, which are in the minority. The big 3 know that the key now to games is longevity through DLC. DLC has a greater ROI. DLC rarely goes on sale. DLC doesn't get dropped to a end-cap in the corner of a store because new releases need prime real estate. DLC doesn't get traded in for another person to buy at a discount with no return for the publisher.

Capcom is living in the stone age; if they can't start creating modular code that accepts updates and dlc freely, they are going to die at retail. Capcom stated that there was no way this update could have been done via DLC - that means the coders that wrote the original game or this update suck at their job. They failed to do what every other company is doing to their games; ie making them extendable, updatable, and fixable via console patches. I assume this comes from the fact that these guys are arcade designers, and are used to just being able to force arcade operators to buy new boards. (Although even now that is rare, since many arcade boards accept rom updates via cd/dvd)

I guarantee SSFIV will be clearanced to $20 bucks or less 4-6 months after release. (After the half million or so fighting game frame counter ocd weirdos have bought up the collectors editions and tournament sticks and decal kits and animated movies and there is no one left to buy the million or more copies still stuck on the shelves gathering dust and pissing off retailers.)[/QUOTE]

Seriously, shut up.

[quote name='tripredicus']Yup, there have never been any games that have introduced new gameplay mechanics or re-balancing via DLC. Nope, not one. Not Fallout 3, or Burnout Paradise, or GTA IV. I mean, if these AAA titles can't be expected to extend and/or change up the rules of their game without releasing a new title, why should we expect Capcom to?

... yeah.

I guarantee SSFIV will be clearanced to $20 bucks or less 4-6 months after release. (After the half million or so fighting game frame counter ocd weirdos have bought up the collectors editions and tournament sticks and decal kits and animated movies and there is no one left to buy the million or more copies still stuck on the shelves gathering dust and pissing off retailers.)[/QUOTE]

eh, I'll just say:

Tekken 5: Dark Ressurection
Virtua Fighter 4: Evolution
Blaze Blue Contimum Shift (not yet released)
SSF2: HD remix

HD remix is one of the top selling games on xbla. VF4 and Tekken expansions went Greatest hits.

This is nothing new from a fighting game. It's just taking an existing game and reworking it for a new release. If there weren't an interest in a company doing it, there wouldn't be people buying it and having a huge community devoted to a tournament scene.

[quote name='LostRoad']Why bitch about the price? If you don't like it don't buy it. There are plenty out there who are going to pick it up and I doubt you will be missed. Lots of fighters get this treatment and have been for longer than most of you have been alive. Whats wrong with retooling a game and making it better.

To many people here want shit for free, fuck if you don't like it don't buy, your Ken wont be missed.[/QUOTE]

Needs to be quoted again.

So because fighting game fans are used to get shafted over the years, it's fine for the companies to continue the trend?

I love fighting games as much as the next guy, and I put a ton of quarters into my local SFII machine. But to say that they have a huge community is laughable. A few thousand people !=huge. When was the last time that you saw HD Remix or SFIV in the top 5 of Major Nelson's XBL activity list? February? March? I bet even then WAW, COD4, and Halo 3 were beating them. Those games have huge communities.

And I'll just throw this in, to rebut your list of fighting game expansions:

Tekken 5: Dark Ressurection - $20 bucks, not released on any platform that already had Tekken 5. (PS3/PSP)

Virtua Fighter 4: Evolution - $20 bucks, basically "free" update included in the greatest hits version of VF4. It didn't "go" greatest hits, the update was just included free with the GH version of VF4.

SSF2: HD remix - $15 bucks, and a HUGE update, everything redrawn, new music, new moves, and badass online play. This game still stands pound for pound as a better game than SFIV.

Guilty Gear was a horrendous series of update after update (not to mention the spin off games that tried to trick people into buying even more GG shit) all for $40 bucks, and I can see Arc doing the same damn thing with BlazBlu. But only the hardcore even CARE about Blazblu, so fine, let Arc be idiots, I'm not wasting my money on them. (And either are many others, Blazblu has failed to chart on Major Nelson's list EVER.)

We're not being shafted. We're being rewarded with an enhanced release. If you don't want the enhanced version, you don't have to buy it. Problem solved.

... yeah.
[/QUOTE]

You are a prime example of someone who has no idea what is going on with this and using the same tired examples that don't hold any water. Fallout 3, Burnout Paradise, and GTAIV's DLC are expansion packs. They don't alter the core gameplay at all because they're just new levels/skins (Fallout 3, GTAIV) or new modes (Burnout Paradise) but the core game is still the same. There is absolutely NO rebalancing in any of that DLC.

[quote name='thirtytwoutside']You are a prime example of someone who has no idea what is going on with this and using the same tired examples that don't hold any water. Fallout 3, Burnout Paradise, and GTAIV's DLC are expansion packs. They don't alter the core gameplay at all because they're just new levels/skins (Fallout 3, GTAIV) or new modes (Burnout Paradise) but the core game is still the same. There is absolutely NO rebalancing in any of that DLC.[/QUOTE]

The large free Burnout Paradise pack added a restart race button, which impacted the single player gameplay in a huge way.

This would be more acceptable as the "Platinum Hits" version of Street Fighter IV.

[quote name='tripredicus'] A few thousand people !=huge. [/QUOTE]

First thing that went through my head when i saw that sentence: Coder.

On topic, I just traded in my copy of SFIV to amazon while it was still worth more than 5 bucks. If the incentive for owners of the original actually requires you to have the disc, and not the save, i'll just borrow it from a friend or rent it for a day. In the meantime, i'll just practice my Bison at the arcades.

[quote name='Rozz']The large free Burnout Paradise pack added a restart race button, which impacted the single player gameplay in a huge way.

This would be more acceptable as the "Platinum Hits" version of Street Fighter IV.[/QUOTE]

So... it basically added a single checkpoint to start over at? I wouldn't really compare that to changing the core system of a game.

[quote name='distgfx']So... it basically added a single checkpoint to start over at? I wouldn't really compare that to changing the core system of a game.[/QUOTE]

LOL

Thank you for saying what I was going to say.

Yes, it changes the way you play the game. But the game itself doesn't change.

[quote name='thirtytwoutside']LOL

Thank you for saying what I was going to say.

Yes, it changes the way you play the game. But the game itself doesn't change.[/QUOTE]

It changed the balancing of the entire game, as it was less difficult due to that. I enjoy Street Fighter, but the same can be said about Street Fighter IV by non-hardcore fans... they changed around some moves and whatnot? How is that changing around the whole game?

See what I mean? If you don't understand someone else's point of view how can you expect everyone to automatically agree with your viewpoint?

No need for you to have a "holier than thou" attitude just because not everyone is going to agree with your stance on how big of an upgrade this is. Street Fighter IV was a commercial success but in terms of mainstream fans they lost interest quickly compared to large series such as Call of Duty and Halo. This upgrade will appeal mainly to hardcore fans, and it would have been more acceptable in my book as a Platinum Hits-style upgrade instead of a full on re-release.

[quote name='Rozz']The large free Burnout Paradise pack added a restart race button, which impacted the single player gameplay in a huge way.

This would be more acceptable as the "Platinum Hits" version of Street Fighter IV.[/QUOTE]

It is $10 more than a normal GH/PH game. What's the big freakin' deal?

[quote name='SDC']It is $10 more than a normal GH/PH game. What's the big freakin' deal?[/QUOTE]

Many Platinum Hits start at the $19.99 mark now, though even at $29.99 it is still a full $10 less. Are you saying that you would prefer having your wallet $10 lighter? Are you sure that you're on the correct site?

Hell, it goes beyond price. If this was a simple upgrade ala Virtual Fighter 4 Evolution wheras it seamlessly goes into the value line then everyone would be satisfied.

[quote name='Rozz']Many Platinum Hits start at the $19.99 mark now, though even at $29.99 it is still a full $10 less. Are you saying that you would prefer having your wallet $10 lighter? Are you sure that you're on the correct site?

Hell, it goes beyond price. If this was a simple upgrade ala Virtual Fighter 4 Evolution wheras it seamlessly goes into the value line then everyone would be satisfied.[/QUOTE]

You're thinking of the wrong gen. This gen PH and GH games are $30 MSRP and no, even if it were a PH/GH upgrade, people would still be bitching about having to rebuy it at $30.

Yes, platinum hits games start out at $30. If someone is so out of it that he doesn't know that basic fact, the rest of his rambling arguments are much harder to take seriously.

If you're thinking about trading in your copy for the upgrade, do it now as it will be virtually worthless after this expansion hits. SFIV still trades at Amazon and TRU for low double-digits and im still surprised it does.

As for this "hold on to your old copy" notion, we all know that's a joke just to combat the used section pileup of the original that's going to happen. I kept the save data just in case, that if anything will be the valuable thing. I bet the "surprise" will be the same old DLC (that was already on this fucking disc) for those who bought it transferred for no charge or all of the old progress already unlocked.

Worst comes to worst and the disc is needed, you can easily rent the game once for whatever stuff it is.

[quote name='distgfx']You're thinking of the wrong gen. This gen PH and GH games are $30 MSRP and no, even if it were a PH/GH upgrade, people would still be bitching about having to rebuy it at $30.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='eastx']Yes, platinum hits games start out at $30. If someone is so out of it that he doesn't know that basic fact, the rest of his rambling arguments are much harder to take seriously.[/QUOTE]

Gears of War, Forza 2, Burnout Paradise, Lego Star Wars II, and Sonic the Hedgehog all started at $19.99 immediately when they want to Platinum Hits. So yeah... where did your credibility go? Like I said, many start at $19.99 now even though $29.99 is the price of others. You might want to learn a thing or two before insulting others.

[quote name='Rozz']Gears of War, Forza 2, Burnout Paradise, Lego Star Wars II, and Sonic the Hedgehog all started at $19.99 immediately when they want to Platinum Hits. So yeah... where did your credibility go? Like I said, many start at $19.99 now even though $29.99 is the price of others. You might want to learn a thing or two before insulting others.[/QUOTE]

Define many, because those few sound like an exception and I remember Sonic the Hedgehog PH being $30 at one point. Our GH statement still stands however.

Sweet! Super Spam Fighter IV with 7 new characters, each character with 1 (or even 2!) moves that will be spammed constantly!

[quote name='distgfx']Define many, because those few sound like an exception and I remember Sonic the Hedgehog PH being $30 at one point. Our GH statement still stands however.[/QUOTE]

Top Spin 2, Viva Pinata, Table Tennis, Cars, Spider-Man Friend or Foe, Shrek the Third, Burnout Paradise, Sonic the Hedgehog, Gears of War, Forza 2, Rataouille, and Kung Fu Panda all debuted at $19.99 when introduced as Platinum Hits.

The point I was originally trying to make was, you guys don't even consider the other gameplay changing elements in games that were re-released as free/cheap DLC or Platinum Hits upgrades (with you guys being proven wrong about all PH's starting at $29.99) yet you want everyone to somehow view this SF IV update as an earth shattering upgrade or something. Fact of the matter is most of the people that bought Street Fighter IV originally won't be going nuts over this, and besides its hardcore fanbase it won't find that much appeal.

[quote name='SimaYi']If you're thinking about trading in your copy for the upgrade, do it now as it will be virtually worthless after this expansion hits. SFIV still trades at Amazon and TRU for low double-digits and im still surprised it does.

As for this "hold on to your old copy" notion, we all know that's a joke just to combat the used section pileup of the original that's going to happen. I kept the save data just in case, that if anything will be the valuable thing. I bet the "surprise" will be the same old DLC (that was already on this fucking disc) for those who bought it transferred for no charge or all of the old progress already unlocked.

Worst comes to worst and the disc is needed, you can easily rent the game once for whatever stuff it is.[/QUOTE]

Thats exactly what I did, actually. I still have the disc install on my hard-drive too, just in case. I find it hard to believe that they're going to require that you physically have the disc anyways, and I'm pretty sure at least one of my friends will hold onto his copy.

[quote name='Rozz']Top Spin 2, Viva Pinata, Table Tennis, Cars, Spider-Man Friend or Foe, Shrek the Third, Burnout Paradise, Sonic the Hedgehog, Gears of War, Forza 2, Rataouille, and Kung Fu Panda all debuted at $19.99 when introduced as Platinum Hits.

The point I was originally trying to make was, you guys don't even consider the other gameplay changing elements in games that were re-released as free/cheap DLC or Platinum Hits upgrades (with you guys being proven wrong about all PH's starting at $29.99) yet you want everyone to somehow view this SF IV update as an earth shattering upgrade or something. Fact of the matter is most of the people that bought Street Fighter IV originally won't be going nuts over this, and besides its hardcore fanbase it won't find that much appeal.[/QUOTE]

#1 http://www.xbox.com/en-US/games/platinumhits/default.htm

MS' own platinum hits list still lists Gears at $30, it didn't debut at $20 either. Also, more proof that some of those games started out at $30 - http://gamerscoreblog.com/team/archive/2007/02/22/541715.aspx

If you don't believe that, then I'll point you to the link I found that at - http://majornelson.com/archive/2007/02/22/xbox-360-platinum-hits.aspx

As for SSFIV, it is a major upgrade, but I don't think there's any possible way you'd be able to see that given what you're saying. If you don't like it, fine, don't buy it. I'm just glad that there's even going to be an SSFIV personally.

bread's done
Back