Super Street Fighter IV - Arcade Edition DLC Out Now & Retail Disc Out Now!

[quote name='bs000']It's Wednesday![/QUOTE]

It's Cinco de Mayo! My Mexican neighbors are already partying, God bless 'em. It's just about 4 P.M.

[quote name='Matt Young']It's Cinco de Mayo! My Mexican neighbors are already partying, God bless 'em. It's just about 4 P.M.[/QUOTE]

People are only allowed to use T.Hawk or El Fuerte today in celebration!

Please no.

yea, but you'd only want to get it if you instantly plan on modding it, which costs additional money and time

Markman has the first edition ones for 30% off. It should be in the deal thread. Its the same TE i have so you'd be good to go

Good games to bs000, MtlTom, TooLateforRoses, awwjayzin, and serialandmilk. Thanks for the matches! I wish the first lobby hadn't broken apart so soon, but the connection was all screwy.

I'm new to fighting games, though I did succumb to the Street Fighter hype when SFIV originally came out, and bought HD Remix and a fightpad to play it with. Got sidetracked after a while, but my friend got me psyched for Super Street Fighter IV and I bought it from Amazon. One selling point for me was that I already had the fightpad, and I sure wasn't using it for anything else. Now, a week after getting the game, my fightpad has stopped connecting to my 360. I've been able to get it to work after a few tries (unplugging it and plugging it back in), but last night it officially stopped working. I read a bit online and the best cheap fix I could come up with was buying a replacement breakaway cable and seeing if that's the problem. Since it was only $3.50 on Amazon (with free Prime shipping), I figured why not. Still waiting for it to arrive, but I was wondering if anyone else had a similar problem with their 360 fightpad. I can find plenty of examples online of PS3 wireless dongles going belly up, but most of the 360 issues I find are D-pad related. Anyone have any ideas? If the new cable doesn't work, I'm going to cross my fingers that the SE fightstick is still $50 on Saturday, because if I have to rebuy, I might as well upgrade.

im getting a lot better but still have trouble with some moves. since im right handed and broke my left wrist when i was in preschool, im thinking about trying bird style on my fight stick but id have to relearn how to use the controller from scratch :)

[quote name='GuardianE']Good games to bs000, MtlTom, TooLateforRoses, awwjayzin, and serialandmilk. Thanks for the matches! I wish the first lobby hadn't broken apart so soon, but the connection was all screwy.[/QUOTE]

Yeah. I tried connecting back a few times but was getting red to orange bars. I connected with someone else on my friend's list & we had no problems. I don't know what it was :cry:

Great matches though. Picked up a few things.

i finally learned how to pull off the sonic boom without any problems (him punching instead). now onto move number 2

[quote name='timesplitt']i finally learned how to pull off the sonic boom without any problems (him punching instead). now onto move number 2[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I'm surprised you were complaining about the online competition when you're still working on the super basics. Of course you're getting destroyed by people who know how to play the game. It takes a lot of time to get to decent level skills.

[quote name='eastx']Yeah, I'm surprised you were complaining about the online competition when you're still working on the super basics. Of course you're getting destroyed by people who know how to play the game. It takes a lot of time to get to decent level skills.[/QUOTE]throughout my years playing fighting games i never learned characters moves. Ive been playing tekken series since Tekken 2( and soul blade and virtua fighter 3tb) and yet i can say 'i don't know a single move"... . i havent been near a fighting game competitively since soul calibur 2 and i didn't even learn the moves there. if i want to learn guile, i must be one with him. i cant tell you how many times my guy jumps backwards when pressing back while messing with sonic boom. i might just melt my analog so it only goes left and right. when i fight chances are any "special or cool move i do will be random and no matter what theres a difference for me in pressing buttons to do a move and thinking the move in your head before hand

i will live to see the day when i can activate a super/ultra in the span of just a punch (or automatically when needed)

i played that ken guy i complained about in an endless battle where he could use anyone BUT ken and he fought and played very well and owned me, so i have no idea why he must go into ranked and abuses "ken"

trying to outfight someone in a fighting game for me is like trying to disarm a gunman who is pointing a gun at me. I have to think fast and I have to strategies for the future. during the match(s) my blocking was even failing me. cant strategies when your life support isn't working (defense)

when you guys host or play another endless battle i m open for the next

[quote name='kurrptsenate']yea, but you'd only want to get it if you instantly plan on modding it, which costs additional money and time
[/QUOTE]

Mod it in what way? I've heard time and time again that it's got fantastic stock parts.

[quote name='Pure Apathy']Anyone have tips for Balrog's trail #14?[/QUOTE]

refresh me as to which one #14 is

I've done his hard trials in both games at least a dozen times. He was my "main" forever

As far as modding the stick, the parts really can't compare well with the parts in the TE stick (Sanwa). It would be to your benefit to swap out the madcatz rip off parts with the real deal

[quote name='kurrptsenate']Definitely

LP classic much?[/QUOTE]

BTW, I JUST got what you meant by LP Classic, it's a 2008 LP Standard Sunburst haha... it's amazing.

[quote name='kurrptsenate']refresh me as to which one #14 is

I've done his hard trials in both games at least a dozen times. He was my "main" forever

As far as modding the stick, the parts really can't compare well with the parts in the TE stick (Sanwa). It would be to your benefit to swap out the madcatz rip off parts with the real deal[/QUOTE]

I'm getting ready to go to work so I can't get on and look but I believe it is crouching LP, standing MK, then either low dash straight or swing blow. I can do the first two punches but I can't do the dash quick enough.

[quote name='Kevfactor']anyone got any tips on focus attacks, its like evryone uses light punches or double taps all the time. :)[/QUOTE]

I guess don't overuse them and don't be predictable with them. Integrate them into ground chain combos to keep pressure on.

Also, there is rarely a reason to use a Level 3 focus attack. Stick with Level 1 and 2's while you're in combos and dash in to continue link combos or move into throw.

[quote name='timesplitt']
i played that ken guy i complained about in an endless battle where he could use anyone BUT ken and he fought and played very well and owned me, so i have no idea why he must go into ranked and abuses "ken"[/quote]

That's a matter of competition right there, it is ranked after all. Much like going to tournaments out there and putting your best foot forward. It might sound silly but when you have pride, money and rep on the line on any seriousness of competition, that's just something you will have to be "in" to fully understand why people do what they do. It's not only in just games but in life as well.

trying to outfight someone in a fighting game for me is like trying to disarm a gunman who is pointing a gun at me. I have to think fast and I have to strategies for the future. during the match(s) my blocking was even failing me. cant strategies when your life support isn't working (defense)

It's only like trying to disarm a gunman who is pointing a gun at you if you make the situation like so. Honestly, sometimes it just takes even a short bit of time to just back off and analyze the situation. And about the blocking thing... well, it wouldn't be called a deep game if it was a simple 2-bit "on and off" thing, now would it? Unfortunately, the game's lack of tutorials make it really hard to understand that there's more than one blocking in the game and that blocking does nothing against throws. Not exactly something that brand new players will figure out until someone points it out or they figure it out by accident.

There's a lot to this game. One can easily be turned away from it simply because it is so complex, despite the fact that it is pretty simple of a fighting game.

[quote name='elpolloestupendo']Do those TE sticks ever go on sale and/or is there any place that sells them for less? I'm tempted to grab one, but I'm not sure if I can justify blowing $130+...[/QUOTE]

You can get the original TE stick for $100 if you look on Amazon/NewEgg, etc. If you do one of the Mad Catz sales like what's going on this week, you could even get the brand new versions for $105 plux tax+shipping. There's a thread in the deals forum.

lol doing double flash in challenge. I completed it i don't know must have done flash kick in mid air, in trying to complete it. i did my ultra flash kick in one attempt and I've yet to activate it again. i keep trying to do double again and its annoying me. the button command says charge db, then df, db, then uf or ud (yea i know about "rolling the analog"). yet all i keep doing is a normal flash which is just down and up!!!!!! and cant do a flash kick in mid air if thats whats needed, that fast my first was just a luck

the command drawings are CONFUSING

its annoying to see my command buttons on the side and there's all sorts of analog directions that are there that im not trying to do. like during the combo I'll see a down arrow near the end and its like really.. i pressed up howd down get there

I did it but i did the same buttons over and over and over and it just like finally gave it to me after so many attempts... i just don't understand.

right now im doing flash explosion and guile keeps doing ex flash kick

Last edited by a moderator:
Why the heck are you playing with an analog stick? Of course it's registering extra directions. The game is designed for digital control. You need to be playing either with a FightPad or FightStick if you want precise movements. Guile's super/ultra isn't the simplest move, but it's way easier to pull off with an arcade stick.

i should get one

i tried using the direction button on the controller as well and my guy jumped a couple times when i physically wasn't pressing anything other than left and right to test it out :|

OK so read a post on gamefaqs where a guy said he tried from the other direction. from the right side i was able to do double flash in one try and the flash explosion in 3. yet from the left side. i spend 30 minutes struggling to do it once!... (still not perfect)

i played as adon and tried his supers/ultras.. very easy (but having trouble explained below). i just spammed the analog and boom super, I think i might just main adon as well instead of just using him for fun

whats the easiest way to do D,DF,F - D,DF,F (twice) WITHOUT the game making me do for example an EX shoryuken/hadouken... (or jumping)

Easiest way would be to hit D, DF, D, DF, F. Make sure to finish the motion before you hit the button. If you hit the button while you're still on DF then you'll get a SRK. Make sure you're holding forward before you hit the button. If the move you want isn't coming out, you're quite simply doing it wrong. Make sure you're completing the motions! Go to training mode and turn on input display to see what you're doing wrong if the move you want isn't coming out.

And playing with the analog stick is fine. It was a few months before Canada started seeing the Madcatz sticks when SF4 came out, so I played with the analog stick and did just fine. I even did most of the hard trials on the 360 controller.

http://shoryuken.com/showthread.php?t=234169

[quote name='Pure Apathy']I'm getting ready to go to work so I can't get on and look but I believe it is crouching LP, standing MK, then either low dash straight or swing blow. I can do the first two punches but I can't do the dash quick enough.[/QUOTE]
You might need to slightly delay the cr.LP to st.MK because it's a link & not a cancel. If you go too fast and cancel them into each other the special move won't come out.

If you are familiar with Rog's BnB combos, it's kinda like the delay on cr.LP~cr.LKxspecial or cr.LPxcr.LP~cr.lkxspecial.

[quote name='bs000']Easiest way would be to hit D, DF, D, DF, F. Make sure to finish the motion before you hit the button. If you hit the button while you're still on DF then you'll get a SRK. Make sure you're holding forward before you hit the button. If the move you want isn't coming out, you're quite simply doing it wrong. Make sure you're completing the motions! Go to training mode and turn on input display to see what you're doing wrong if the move you want isn't coming out.[/QUOTE]
thanks for tip

well on doing the moves wrong. i will admit that nearly 70% of the time I AM DOING IT wrong. but when i do it right and I'm looking at the buttons to the side and everything matches up, my guile just does EX flash.. it gets annoying

i was doing the flash kick for practice and on 4 attempts my analog did up twice on each one. my guile failed to do the kick on the first 3, but on the 4th which was the exact same he ended up doing it.. so i don't understand that

also i watched a couple youtube vids and before activating there super/special the guy jumped into the opponent and said in the comment he did a 360 motion beforehand on purpose

im going to keep practicing the double flash and flash explosion tonight, im prepared for an endless ex flash

[quote name='eastx']Why the heck are you playing with an analog stick? Of course it's registering extra directions. The game is designed for digital control. You need to be playing either with a FightPad or FightStick if you want precise movements. Guile's super/ultra isn't the simplest move, but it's way easier to pull off with an arcade stick.[/QUOTE]

Eh... I still find it much easier to use an analog stick than a d-pad.

Dood, Matt. You should just go ahead and play it with a Guitar Hero controller. Or a damn driving wheel.

Edit: Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand I'm above the post I was replying too. I hope this gets sorted out soon.

I finally got all of Hakan's Trials done and got the finishing one characters' trials achievement. I don't like all the standard P, K, P etc. trials. They're just annoying more than anything.

im practicing the flash explosion right now, pulled it off.

on the side bar i watched countless times, its weird. ill charge guile up (DB). do everything with a few minor extra arrows, but he'll do ex flash. but then in another attempt. i do the move i look to the side, and there are arrows there that shouldnt be, but i still pulled the move off. so its a but confusing when the move should or shouldn't come out.

i even pulled it off going "up' instead of upforward....
--------------------------------------

i changed my LP+MP+HP to the right bumper and so on with the kick one. i was in practice mode and did double flash like 30 times.

Why the F*** does it take 3 step to do sonic boom and 3 seconds to charge into double flash/flash explosion. i was in training mode and i could not do the flash at all until i got to 3 when i counted. the same thing with sonic boom. every time i took two steps back all he'd do is punch. but three steps back and sonic boom came out every time. i think this delay or "time really hurts guile. the thing is. i cant just sit there crouched for three seconds without the "human player hitting me" the cpu play always got up before i could even do the flash moves. ive learned to do it, now i just need to time it and learn to do it in BATTLE.

So I just got back from my vacation and this was waiting for me on my desk.

Do you guys mind letting me know who out the the new new guys is the easiest to become decent with?

And can you let me know who of the new "old" guys are the easiest to become decent with?

I like to learn new characters with each game and the stock version of SF4 I was trying to learn C Viper. And now I'd like to move one to 2 other characters.

[quote name='KingDox']So I just got back from my vacation and this was waiting for me on my desk.

Do you guys mind letting me know who out the the new new guys is the easiest to become decent with?

And can you let me know who of the new "old" guys are the easiest to become decent with?

I like to learn new characters with each game and the stock version of SF4 I was trying to learn C Viper. And now I'd like to move one to 2 other characters.[/QUOTE]

All depends on your playstyle...which, we have no idea of your preference.

First time I played the game, I seemed to do best with Guy and Cody (go figure). Cody wasn't very flashy, but all his moves seemed pretty easy to get off and were solid. From his tornado punch to just throwing rocks at ppl....Guy was super quick and kinda played like old school Chun Li, while I didn't get to pull off many combos with him I did catch a lot of ppl with his air suplex. Guy's great but his combos are hard to chain.

I'd really like to get Ibuki and Juri down pat, though one thing I noticed their armor is really weak but they have quite an arsenal of moves with projectiles that fly out at weird angles.

[quote name='bs000']http://www.ustream.tv/channel/leveluplive/v3[/QUOTE]

I was watching this yesterday. Tried winning a stick. Didn't. :(

Some clutch gameplay from Valle and some pad players representin! I hear he's trying out Ibuki next week. I'm looking forward to seeing what he does with her.

Great games to bs000. S-Rank Kens! And Shinobi Hanzo, of course.

I'm about to just start de-ranking, i can't win half my matches anymore, lose nearly all uploaded matches, keep playing people with way higher PP and BP scores. I'm stuck in this awful 3.5k BP area where i'm playing nastly players near 5k and good players who are ranking up other chars/are great players in general. I'm not stressin too much on this, its just really killing the fun. I should just practice until all the good players have moved up I guess.

[quote name='kurrptsenate']or, ya know.... play good players and get better[/QUOTE]

Again, not to make excuses, but honestly, can't hold a tee to people who have been playing for years. I have put in some serious hours the past year playing SFIV. Some players are just way beyond my ability, hard to really see what I'm doing, obviously they aren't going to tell me after every match what its gona take to improve. It just sucks when every match is either me getting wrecked or vice versa.

You should try to play with friends then. And make new friends who are close to your skill level. Throwing matches is definitely not ever going to help you in any way.

[quote name='eastx']You should try to play with friends then. And make new friends who are close to your skill level. Throwing matches is definitely not ever going to help you in any way.[/QUOTE]

I feel its even the same with CAG's tho, while playing the few endless battles I've played with them is the good players just wreck, and usually aren't too chatty either :/ jayzin and bs come to mind, they are just sick good.

:( Played my first rank match, had 0 BP, matches me up with someone who has 3,000 BP...wtf

I'm willing to get my ass handed to me, just send me a FR. I'm online now....3rd day of playing with my arcade stick, progress is being made, but I still choke up during matches. I can pull off 50 dragon punches in a row in training, but when it comes to when it matters in actual versus matches, I always seem to choke.

It makes me sad :( I used to be actually pretty good at HD Remix and Alpha 3 and the EX series.

bread's done
Back