Surprisingly The Last Movie You Saw Didn't Suck Pt. 2

I also saw Independence Day Resurgence (today) and I've gotta say it's probably the worst movie I've seen all year. I was firmly in the camp of "You should know what you're getting going into this movie and critics are expecting too much" but nope, turns out it really was horrible. All I wanted was a fun humans vs aliens movie like the first movie, but this movie is just boring and the story is incredibly stupid (and not stupid in a good way). None of the characters outside of Jeff Goldblum were good or memorable in any way. It's been a long time since I've regretted going to a movie and I can't believe this is the one to make me feel that way.

One thing that bugged me about the film...how did the aliens get footage of Whitmore's speech from the first film? It wasn't being recorded or transmitted. 

Maybe it was part of the distress signal? Or maybe just magical alien technology.

There was pretty much zero logic in the movie,
like when the two forgettable side leads are shooting the queen at the end and none of the other alien ships attack them even though they're right there
so no reason to really dwell on it.

Also that 4 minutes at the end was the longest 4 minutes of all time.

Last edited by a moderator:
Maybe it was part of the distress signal?
Yea, it was part of the distress signal, but HOW was it part of the distress signal? They were still hundreds of miles out when Whitmore made that speech, and the aliens would have no reason to record it since they still believed the humans had no way of successfully resisting them.

Finally watched Deadpool. It was okay. I may find that I enjoy it more on a second viewing. A little too goofy at times, but I know that's part of the character's "charm". And, as someone who doesn't care for the "dark, gritty" superhero movies, Deadpool definitely had an element of fun that I like to see. The action sequences were very well shot/edited. That's something too many films are lacking today. 

Overall, Deadpool was way better than some of the last few X-Men films, especially First Class and Days of Future Past. 

Demolition Man:

Tries a little too hard with the satire,otherwise it's a kickass action film (not quick-cut editing bullshit like today). Wesley Snipes is great as the villain and Stallone's lip gives a good performance like usual.

Cobra:

80's trash it's finest! So much cheese and so poorly at made at points;like the wonderful scene where Cobretti rips some punk's shirt and you can clearly see the actor's mic.

God Told Me To:

It's a messy film,but it has a lot of interesting low-budget visuals. It's got some cool ideas to it too.

Yea, it was part of the distress signal, but HOW was it part of the distress signal? They were still hundreds of miles out when Whitmore made that speech, and the aliens would have no reason to record it since they still believed the humans had no way of successfully resisting them.
Maybe one of the ships sent it after the first one was destroyed.

Demolition Man:

Tries a little too hard with the satire,otherwise it's a kickass action film (not quick-cut editing bullshit like today). Wesley Snipes is great as the villain and Stallone's lip gives a good performance like usual.

Cobra:

80's trash it's finest! So much cheese and so poorly at made at points;like the wonderful scene where Cobretti rips some punk's shirt and you can clearly see the actor's mic.

God Told Me To:

It's a messy film,but it has a lot of interesting low-budget visuals. It's got some cool ideas to it too.
Is Rhinestone or Cliffhanger next?

They Call Me Bruce?: This is the 1982 Johnny Yune flick, not the more recent Bruce Campbell one (My Name is Bruce). I haven't seen the movie in years and found it for $1 at the flea market. Politically incorrect as all-hell and still holds up pretty well watching it years later. I can't believe I was able to watch this when I was a kid. Glad it's now in my collection, but it's depressing when you watch a movie like this and think... "This movie could never be made now."

The Purge: Election Year: I'm a fan of the series and have been waiting for months to see this. I was not disappointed. Just as good as Anarchy, even though it doesn't focus on the violence of the Purge as much as Anarchy did. It's still a violent flick, of course. Frank Grillo and Elizabeth Mitchell (sooooo hot in those glasses) were both great. Can't wait to see what the next one brings (hopefully) in 2018. I think the series benefits from not being annualized, so I hope they continue to release one every other year.

Wut? Bruce Campbell made that movie when he wasn't on Burn Notice. I guess he can't make THAT movie now considering he's way more famous right now because of that tv show, and that there are going to be two seasons of Evil Dead.

Batman vs Superman Extended Cut:

First time watching the film in general.The cut seems to add more pointless scenes on top of the many pointless scenes already (with some bad CG blood). Nothing propels the  narrative for the first half,it's just scene of scene of trite dialogue bashing your head in with it's themes. Some of these are hilarious,like the bugmen scene with Batman comically wearing a duster over his suit (that sure added a lot to the film!). Or the great scene with Aquaman poking at a camera like a moron.

Then the last act happens and it has like 5 climaxes;it just keeps on going.The title fight was pretty funny,especially when Batman repeatedly punching Superman in the face.Then you got the joke of a fight with Doomsday (did they even try with the CG on him?). It's a disjointed mess of a film.

In The Mouth of Madness:

The closest a film has gotten at doing H.P. Lovecraft film. It got the atmosphere down and the creatures down perfectly.Perfect ending too for a horror film. John Carpenter's last good film.

2001 A Space Odyssey:

I appreciated more than I actually enjoyed. The visuals are still some of the best ever. My issues being the film did nothing for me on an emotional level at all. So many scenes drag forever,when I've long gotten the point. Then the acid-trip last act which is great visually,though I have no idea what to make of it. I will give it a watch again at some point.

Clockwork Orange:

Loved it. Malcom McDowell is fantastic as Alex. Love me some dark humor and this had a lot of that. It's take on violence and how society tries to deal is handled so well. 

2001 A Space Odyssey:

I appreciated more than I actually enjoyed. The visuals are still some of the best ever. My issues being the film did nothing for me on an emotional level at all. So many scenes drag forever,when I've long gotten the point. Then the acid-trip last act which is great visually,though I have no idea what to make of it. I will give it a watch again at some point.

Clockwork Orange:

Loved it. Malcom McDowell is fantastic as Alex. Love me some dark humor and this had a lot of that. It's take on violence and how society tries to deal is handled so well.
2001 is one of my favorite movies. I don't really "get it," but the voyage it takes you on is awesome.

Clockwork Orange was a little over my head too and I didn't enjoy it as much.

I saw The Wrestler recently and DAMN, what a good movie.

2001 is one of my favorite movies. I don't really "get it," but the voyage it takes you on is awesome.

Clockwork Orange was a little over my head too and I didn't enjoy it as much.

I saw The Wrestler recently and DAMN, what a good movie.
I feel like Kubrick's movies in general are the sort of "I don't get it" but they are still absolutely captivating. I really don't understand it myself. I mean, The Shining should be an absolutely boring movie, and in some ways it is. I mean, almost nothing happens for probably a solid 2/3rds of the movie. Despite that, I absolutely love watching it.

There's some unquantifiable thing going on with his movies that just pulls you right in.

Seen Justice League vs. Teen Titans. Had low expectations going in (not a fan of the Damien Wayne Robin), but I actually liked the film. The title is very misleading, I don't dig the ugly New 52 costume designs, but fans of Raven from Teen Titans will find much to like about this animated film. (Also, it borrows heavily from the early '80s New Teen Titans comics, which I really appreciated.) 

Watched the "ultimate" cut of Batman v Superman. Didn't add too much to the film, and certainly didn't make it better. Just felt like I had to endure much of the nonsense even longer. Still, I have to admit, at times the movie is incredibly intriguing, in the sense that this $300 million train wreck was pushed into production and realized on screen--and further, that numerous people involved in the making of the film thought it actually "worked." Of course, with David S. Goyer involved, one of the worst "A-list" sceenwriters in Hollywood today, I guess it's not too much of a surprise. Still interesting to see the ultimate cut's attempt to make a dark film even darker...

And lastly, watched 10 Cloverfield Lane. The first half hour wasn't bad. Then it all goes downhill. And the ending is one of the most idiotic, brainless, asinine things I've recently seen in a film. I know JJ Abrams only had producer credit in this but, seriously, that guy single handedly personifies everything wrong with cinema today.

Rewatched the Bourne Trilogy in preparation for the new one next week. It's been so long, man those are some great films. I haven't watched Legacy again yet but plan to rewatch it too. It's nowhere near the original three movies as far as how good it is but still enjoyable. Didn't really like the pills that enhance the strength and whatever else they did concept, thought it was a little too out there for a series that's pretty grounded in realism for the most part. Depending on what happens in this new movie though I wouldn't mind seeing Damon and Renner together in a Bourne movie.

Just watched The Baron (1977) last night and was genuinely surprised at how entertaining this film was. It's a '70s era "blaxploitation" movie, in which an aspiring actor/director is trying to produce a film but has to borrow the money from some shady places. The mob gets involved and things go south for everyone. 

The main character is played by the criminally underrated Calvin Lockhart, who horror fans might remember from the fantastic '70s werewolf flick, The Beast Must Die (also starring Peter Cushing) and Lockhart played 'King Willie' in Predator 2...though that film underutilized his acting talents immensely. 

Also, The Baron co-stars Richard Lynch (Invasion USA, Puppet Master 3, Bad Dreams) as the villain. If you haven't seen Lynch in Invasion USA, it's well worth checking out, especially for the scene where he slams a cocaine addict's head into a table and the coke straw goes up her nose.

Anyway, The Baron's a fun film that doesn't take it self too seriously, but still has an intriguing story that keeps you interested for the 89 minute running time.

I just watched Tremors with my 13 year old son -- found the 4-film collection for $0.50 at the flea market last week. He loved it. What a classic... I'm surprised how well the film holds up after all these years. The graboids still look great.

Some comic book movies news coming out of ComiCon.

- Brie Lawson is officially Carol Danvers, aka Captain Marvel. 

- Trailer to Guardians of the Galaxy 2 was shown, though not released to the public.
Yondu and Nebula officially join the team, Sylvestor Stallone is a member of the Nova Corps, and Kurt Russel is playing Star-Lord's dad...who in this universe is freaking Ego the Living Planet.

- In the upcoming Black Panther film, Michael B. Jordan will  be playing Erik Killmonger, aka the main bad guy. Nyong'o will be playing Nakia, a member of the Dore Milaje, while Danai Gurira will play Okoye, the leader of the Dore Milaje.

- Doctor Strange Trailer 2: 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HSzx-zryEgM

- Lego Batman Trailer: 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h6DOpfJzmo0

And while not a comic book, Nickelodeon released the first trailer to its Legends of the Hidden Temple movie: 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U7eHPW7n7Ko

Did you wonder what Thor and Hulk were up to during Civil War? Well, Thor was rooming with a dude in Australia and teaching kids about The Avengers. Proof? http://io9.gizmodo.com/we-saw-a-glimpse-of-thor-ragnarok-but-learning-what-t-1784216701

In personal movie news, recently watched parts of Honey, I Blew Up the Kid and Air Force One on TV. Didn't catch all of them for other programming reasons, but I've seen both of them enough times to have memorized every scene. Both are still as delightfully awesome as I remember.

The Taking of Pelham One Two Three (original):

Fantastic thriller. Great cast,does a great job of showing gritty NY,funny,and a fantastic OST.

Touch of Zen:

Classic. Some of the best cinematography I've ever seen in a film.
Film_825_TouchOfZen_original.jpg

It pulls you in with it's atmosphere and setting,which really hook you in. Then you got you fights scenes which are fantastic. You could definitely see how this film inspired Ang Lee's Crouching Tiger,Hidden Dragon.

A couple more $0.50 DVD finds at the flea market:

The Quick and the Dead - A classic. I can't believe this film eluded my collection for so long. Everybody is amazing in this movie, especially Sharon Stone and Gene Hackman. Sam Raimi's "touch" on the duel scenes make them even more intense.

And in the opposite end of the spectrum...

Maximum Overdrive - As entertaining as I remember. Not the best movie by any means, but the perfect popcorn movie. With all the movies we feel are sacred and shouldn't be remade... I would love to see Maximum Overdrive reimagined. I think the premise has a lot of potential if it went beyond the story of "Trucks."

Maniac Cop 2:

An extremely well made B-movie. A lot of great set-pieces with some terrific stunt work.

The Killing Joke:

It's great if you enjoy lots of  shitty edgelord dialogue with some of the most atrocious animation in a while. It's bad to the point that scenes have no emotional emotion to them at all (mixed with poor direction). Even the vocal performances aren't that good.For a story Mark really wanted to do,he doesn't really put a whole lot into his performance (he totally phones it in during the Joker origin scenes). Kevin sounds like he wants to take a nap. It's quite amazing how little effort was put into this.

The Killing Joke:

It's great if you enjoy lots of shitty edgelord dialogue with some of the most atrocious animation in a while. It's bad to the point that scenes have no emotional emotion to them at all (mixed with poor direction). Even the vocal performances aren't that good.For a story Mark really wanted to do,he doesn't really put a whole lot into his performance (he totally phones it in during the Joker origin scenes). Kevin sounds like he wants to take a nap. It's quite amazing how little effort was put into this.
I felt exactly the same way. Seen it in the theater and wasn't impressed. I never cared for the Killing Joke comic, despite being an Alan Moore fan, but the animated adaptation was worst. I was more interested in the Batgirl stuff in the film, aside from that one scene...

I saw it and thought it was just okay as well. The thing is The Killing Joke isn't actually a good story to begin with. I really don't understand the love for it. Even Alan Moore doesn't like it.

I don't get how DC can make all of these adapted animated features and do a great job with their animation styles but then they come to Killing Joke, which is a goddamn classic, and give it this cheap look. This wasn't a change in style, it was just cheap animation. Did they get lazy and too greedy in thinking that Batman fans would pay to watch it no matter what it looked like since it's a revered tale?

Watched the new Bourne tonight. You know for a guy who has been one of U.S.'s most wanted over the years he sure does get around a lot pretty easy. I almost laughed when they had a scene toward the end where the director demands to know how he got past airport customs. Really dude? He's been getting on and off planes and other transportation services since the first fucking movie and has never had an issue. (Except in the second when he purposely allowed himself to get caught) I felt like that was a joke in disguise for the audience since the character has been chartering flights for over 8 years now and seemingly never gets identified any time.

So...reviews have been released about Suicide Squad and the general consensus, even in the positive reviews, is that it feels like two movies smushed into one.

Apparently, that is exactly the case. WB made a more comedic cut of the film after the reception to BvS and has separate focus group testing for it, then decided to combine the two via those reshoots from a few months ago.

Saw Finding Nemo for the first time. Didn't really get into it until they introduced the sharks; from then on it was terrific.

Definitely deserves the praise it gets. Better than Toy Story, IMO

I actually enjoyed suicide squad. I went in with poor expectations and walked out highly entertained. I would definitely watch it again

Love Suicide Squad. Not only did I find it to be one of the best comic book films to come out in years (though I did enjoy Civil War), but it was also a fantastic action flick. Unlike so many recent comic book movies, I didn't feel like I was watching the same regurgitated plot, just splashed with a new coat of paint. Perfect casting all around, and pure fun. 

Love Suicide Squad. Not only did I find it to be one of the best comic book films to come out in years (though I did enjoy Civil War), but it was also a fantastic action flick. Unlike so many recent comic book movies, I didn't feel like I was watching the same regurgitated plot, just splashed with a new coat of paint. Perfect casting all around, and pure fun.
I agree. I don't know what the reviewers were expecting, but my son and I loved this movie.

Not sure if it was mentioned in the thread, but stay through the credits. I don't know if there's anything at the very end of the credits (we didn't stay), but there a scene early on in the credits that is worth seeing. Very promising...

I saw it and thought it was just okay as well. The thing is The Killing Joke isn't actually a good story to begin with. I really don't understand the love for it. Even Alan Moore doesn't like it.
I think it was one of those books that you have to read at that time to really enjoy it. Probably the first book to have a good Joker origin story that pretty much everybody has considered to be canon and it was pretty dark with what they did to Batgirl and Jim Gordon.

Sausage Party:

It  was meh. So many of the critics talked about how it wasn't just a juvenile comedy and that it was "smart". It had like two thoughts to it,and it beats you over the head with them. Otherwise most of the jokes were just Seth Rogen thinking anthropomorphic food dropping f-bombs was the funniest thing ever,along with a lot of lazy stereotype jokes. Had some clever gags,otherwise it was pretty mediocre.

Titan A.E.:

The definition of bland. It has no imagination to it at all. It had a bunch of setpieces that didn't flow together. Then the mixture of 2D and CG animation didn't work at all,on top of the CG just looking terrible and being unfinished at points.

Just watched Savage Streets with Linda Blair. Definitely a fun revenge-driven '80s film, complete with over-the-top gangs, crossbow killings, and a fantastic soundtrack. John Farnham's "Justice for One" is a great song, and fans of the '86 Transformers film will recognize the song "Nothing's Gonna Stand in Our Way" (from the scene where Hot Rod fights the robot squid on the Quintesson planet), though the song's sung by Farnham this time around. A worthwhile one to check out. By no means amazing--there are tons of other better '80s revenge films, but still very enjoyable. Doesn't come close to Class of 1984 but, then again, what movie does?

Titan A.E.:

The definition of bland. It has no imagination to it at all. It had a bunch of setpieces that didn't flow together. Then the mixture of 2D and CG animation didn't work at all,on top of the CG just looking terrible and being unfinished at points.
I had such high hopes for this film. And, if I recall, the trailer was awesome (or at least seemed so circa 2000). But then I rented it back around 2001 on VHS and was not impressed. Not only was it boring, there was so little substance to any of the characters.

I saw kubo and the two strings last night. It was amazing, the art was gorgeous, and the story was perfect, or close to it. It's easily my candidate for movie of the year

Under Siege:

Enjoyable action film. It's a Seagal film so it has a lot ego-stroking;it works due to an OTT Tommy Lee Jones as the villain. Some pretty brutal deaths too,which you get a lot today.

Under Siege 2:

Glorious 90's schlock. You got a campy villain,dialogue,and terrible effects;which all add up to an really entertaining film. It also has Seagal somehow outrunning a train.

C0yRpl4.gif

So many moments like that just crack you up :rofl:

I love introducing my 13-year-old son the classics I grew up with. Saturday we watched his first R rated movie, Army of Darkness, although I never understood why it was R in the first place. I couldn't find my copy of the theatrical version, so we watched the director's cut and I showed him the original (better) ending on YouTube.

What a classic. He absolutely loved it. Now he wants to be Ash for Halloween and "This is my.... Boomstick!" is his new text message ringtone.

We also watched 10 Cloverfield Lane. Excellent movie and IMO better than the original. John Goodman killed it - he was amazing in this. And I'll watch anything with Mary Elizabeth Winstead in it (schwing!).
I don't know how this cost 10 million to make. They must have spent 8 mil of it on that awesome ending. Can't wait to see the next one.

So, the teaser trailer for the new Power Rangers film came out and it's apparently a YA film except with slightly less dystopia. It also feels like the writers are adapting DinoThunder instead of MMPR.

bread's done
Back