Surprisingly The Last Movie You Saw Didn't Suck Pt. 2

Watched half of Hitman: Agent 47. It was one of the worst things I've watched in a while now. This movie was not Hitman in any way shape or form. I don't recall how many times I laughed during the first half. It really makes the first film look like a modern classic compared to this turd of a movie.

Will we ever get a good movie based around Hitman? I doubt it, but I have hopes of one day seeing it happen.
We will never get a good Hitman movie because none of these producers or directors understand what makes the game so great. They just see a cool looking assassin and think "action movie!". We will forever get these dumb European movies which will continue to be terrible.

I watch Project A and A2 back to back today. Not seen them in around a year. Great movies. Feel like having a small Jackie Chan marathon soon and watch some movies i've only seen once before

Last edited by a moderator:
Yankee Doodle Dandy:

It works due to James Cagney's masterful performance. The man was type-cast as gangsters his whole career and here he really shows how versatile of an actor he really was. Am not even a big musical fan and I loved it.Great movie

Billy Budd:

Starts a little slow but evolves into an excellent navel drama. This is due to the performance of Terrance Stamp as the title character and the extremely underappreciated Robert Ryan as the villain;he does a great playing this lonely man,who's only pleasure in life is from abusing these sailors in any way he can. The only bad thing about the film is the ending,which is extremely rushed due to the novel it's based on not having an ending. They really did not know how to end the film. Excellent film otherwise.

I watched Bill Murray Vamping as Scrooge today.  A totally odd take on the Christmas Carol designed in a way to drive the viewer a little batty just like the main character. Hilarious and thoughtful.

Went into London yesterday to watch the new 4K remaster of Ran. I watched it for the first time in January and just had to see it again on a big screen this time. Wow what a movie..

Argo:

Excellent. Loved the editing of real footage into the film. Am aware it takes historic license,it didn't ruin the film for me. Engaging from beginning to end.

Mad Max 1:

Classic Ozploitation. That car chase to start is one of the best in films.The stunts in general were great(am surprised no one was killed during this).

Watched 1983's Duel to the Death. An amazing Hong Kong martial art film featuring some of the best choreographed swordplay and ninja action to ever appear on the screen. Several of the ending fight sequences are just off-the-wall insane, in the best possible way.

Watched Fast and Furious the 2009 film. Didn't really care for it, as it was wayyyy to video gamey. And it definitely lacks the homoerotic subtext of the 1st and the overtness of the second.

X-Men First Class:

It was fine.Michael Fassbender killed it as a young Magneto.I could've done without the whole "mutant and proud" stuff which the film really beats you over the head. Last act had some flaws,with the effects being noticeably shittier,and them constantly cutting back to the nameless battleship commanders.

Space Adventure Cobra the movie:

Solid action film.The plot is basically an excuse to have all these great action set pieces.The  animation still looks great today with some of the scenes coming off as if the  animators were on LSD when drawing some of them(some really trippy stuff in this).

That Man from Rio:

Such a fun film. It's suppose a spoof if the spy genre but it comes off more as a spoof of those adventure serials from the 50's.Nothing really to say other than it's funny and extremely entertaining. Also has a ton of dangerous stunts,which they would never dare to attempt today.

Wolfcop:

It's exactly what you expect from a film called Wolfcop :lol: The effects were pretty damn good considering how low-budget this was. Starts a little a slow,but becomes a really fun B-movie.Looking forward to that sequel!

Planet of the Apes:

My 3 time watching and it's as engaging as the first time. The thing that really works for me is the experimental score by Jerry Goldsmith,which really does a great job of setting the atmosphere.

Escape from Planet of the Apes:

Decent sequel. Enjoyable fish out of water story for the first half before becoming pretty dark with some good social commentary.

Conquest of the Planet of the Apes:

It's basically Rise of the Planet of the Apes on a smaller budget. Both are led by a fantastic performance from the lead actor.  The story is basically a giant allegory for the civil rights movement of the time. By far the best sequel of the original series.

Battle for Planet of the Apes:

It's a film that wants to be an epic but doesn't have the money to do so. The story doesn't even have enough to fill the runtime. It's kinda watchable but pretty boring.

Just watched Turbo Kid, a very enjoyable post-apocalyptic ode to '80s films. I ended up enjoying it far more than Mad Max: Fury Road (which was a great apocalyptic film, but a terrible "Mad Max" movie).

Planet of the Apes:

My 3 time watching and it's as engaging as the first time. The thing that really works for me is the experimental score by Jerry Goldsmith,which really does a great job of setting the atmosphere.
The original franchise is fantastic. Some films are stronger than others, though all are fun. Looks like you skipped out on Beneath the Planet of the Apes.

Turbo Kid

I didn't know much about this, except it was going to be cheesy, low budget and a throwback to 80s movies. It was cheesy, low budget, a throw back and not very good at all.. It was so "by the numbers" and poorly made. Not taking budget wise but just how it was filmed and the overall feeling. It was like the prop department just went nuts and bought everything they could and most of it just looks out of place.

The cinematography was boring and I felt the colour grading should've been a little darker. Amateur hour acting, script and fight scenes. It was just trying way too hard which had a negative effect on me. I wouldn't mind seeing the behind the scenes, but not the movie again. I did like seeing Michael Ironside though.

Just watched Turbo Kid, a very enjoyable post-apocalyptic ode to '80s films. I ended up enjoying it far more than Mad Max: Fury Road (which was a great apocalyptic film, but a terrible "Mad Max" movie).

The original franchise is fantastic. Some films are stronger than others, though all are fun. Looks like you skipped out on Beneath the Planet of the Apes.
I saw Beneath awhile ago when I saw the first one for the first time. For a pointless continuation of the first film it's pretty entertaining. The ending was hilariously bleak(am sure Heston forced that one them).

Atop the Fourth Wall: The Movie - I'm biased because I helped fund it, but I greatly enjoyed the movie and the retouched special effects by Game Show Reviewer were pretty good. I loved all the little touches (such as the bee gun, Nappa box, and Mechakara's rifle using the beams from Star Trek: Elite Force) and the cast worked great together, with Snob and Nash stealing the show. Makes me hope Linkara actually does do a true Channel Awesome Anniversary Movie sometime next year.

The Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2:

I thought it was pretty great. You have to go in accepting that it's a black comedy and no even close to being similar in tone to the first (they take the disturbing dinner scene of the first and make it a joke here). The film is so OTT with the villains;Choptop is one of funniest and characters I've seen in a film https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j8mdzVRyDSc

And then the film ends with an epic chainsaw duel between a nutty Dennis Hopper and Leatherface :rofl: :rofl:

Jurassic World:

It was decent popcorn. Does the same themes as the original but nowhere near as smart with them. The big issue was the characters,which are so stock(especially Vincent D'Onofrio's character). It became a really shitty B-movie at points,like the scene when Vincent reveals his whole stupid evil plan.Better than the first two sequels(not saying much). Not something I would see again.

Haven't actually seen it obviously, but not worthy of its own news post.

I now present, the upcoming new movie versions of the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers!

Now that we're talking about Guyver, I had an old bootleg vhs of episode 7-8 that I bought at a convention like over 20 years ago and it was awesome. When it was finally dubbed and released legit, it was completely different from the episodes I had. It was a hell of a lot bloodier, there were color changes, and worst of all, the animation was absolutely terrible.

I mentioned it a few times on the guyver forums and they all thought I was crazy. A couple people even said that the dubbed version is the same as the Japanese LD.

It's really a shame because the original version is FAR superior and the original animation still exists in the reanimated one. Unfortunately, my father threw out all my OVA's and now it's pretty much lost to time. :cry:

What's with the boob armor? Last I remember, the Yellow and Pink Ranger were not 1980s Playboy Playmates or something. What's with the heels? Is it to sell the toys to derp kids or something? Even the 1995 movie didn't go that far.

Movie_Rangers.jpg

Dolomite:

I was really expecting to laugh more at this,instead it's kinda dull for the most part. It's really one of those films that just baffles you at how inept it is. It has some of the worse editing I've seen in a film;they'll be in the middle of a scene and then cut to the next one with no establishing shots for the most part (most of the scenes have no purpose either). Had some funny moments,but not enough to rewatch it again.

Resident Evil Apocalypse:

Was watching it on a stream for shits and giggles just to remind my self how bad this was,and it was even worse than I remember. The one thing that stood out was how bad the editing was during any fight scene; they will cut to another shot every second( try watching the stupid Nemesis fight at the end without getting a headache). Otherwise the film is pretty boring schlock for the most part. I don't really understand the appeal of this series anymore,since it's just shitty actor's cosplaying as RE characters with pretty dull action scenes.

Phantom of the Paradise:

Wasn't expecting to enjoy this as much as I did,since am not a fan of De Palma's at all. This was a wonderful take on the Phantom of the Opera. I especially loved the production design which was just booming with creative visuals. Also the Phantom wears Griffith's helmet from Berserk,so the film get's a 10 just for that!

Doomsday:

The most fun I had with a film in quite a while. It's a loving homage to 80's film like Escape from New York,and Mad Max;what makes it work really well is how it doesn't excessively wink at the audience. Probably my only bad complaint was the performance from Malcolm McDowell;you get one of the best scene-chewing actors ever and you give him nothing to do! Otherwise fun action film.

I'm honestly shocked at how much drama James Rolfe's Ghostbusters video is creating. Like...seriously?

Also, they're making a goddamn trilogy of movies based on Tetris. That will apparently be sci-fi thrillers.

Yeah, that was probably a weird thing coming from James Rolfe, especially when he has seen his childhood r-ed by Hollywood for the past twenty five years. How is the new Ghostbusters going to be objectively worse than the Bayformers? He probably should've kept his mouth shut and waited for Mike to watch it.

That Tetris trilogy is astounding, but just goes to show you how much money rich people have to burn.

10 Cloverfield Lane

Actually pretty decent, but has some dumb things sprinkled throughout.  Didn't think much of the ending. John Goodman was very good.

Captain America Civil War 

Kinda mixed on this. It was fun watching (almost) everyone together, however the plot was pretty lame. They all fall out for the dumbest reason. Ant Man was by far my favourite of everyone.

Yeah, that was probably a weird thing coming from James Rolfe, especially when he has seen his childhood r-ed by Hollywood for the past twenty five years. How is the new Ghostbusters going to be objectively worse than the Bayformers? He probably should've kept his mouth shut and waited for Mike to watch it.

That Tetris trilogy is astounding, but just goes to show you how much money rich people have to burn.
"It’s probably time for angry nerds who blame reboots for ruining their childhoods to ask themselves if they ever actually grew up in the first place."

http://www.deathandtaxesmag.com/291025/ghostbusters-james-rolfe-cinemassacre/

"It’s probably time for angry nerds who blame reboots for ruining their childhoods to ask themselves if they ever actually grew up in the first place."

http://www.deathandtaxesmag.com/291025/ghostbusters-james-rolfe-cinemassacre/
That quote was pretty ironic considering the author of the article was acting like a child himself. James shouldn't made a video about it,but it's stupid to act like a reboot is going to destroy the image of a film you had from your childhood.

Gods of Egypt:

It could've been a great bad movie,but it was way to long for it's own good. Gerald Butler is actually the best part of this;he chews the hell outta of that scenary (his Scottish accent comes out a lot in this!). The whole film is shot on green screen and the CG looks like something from a PS2 game. Hard to believe this film got made.

That is quite possibly one of the stupidest articles I've read in a while, and I have been following Curt Schilling's recent antics.

EDIT: Also, I know a lot of people hate Bayformers, but Lennox (Josh Duhamel's character in the first three films) has been confirmed to return in The Last Knight and Epps (Tyrese Gibson's character) might be returning as well.

I just watched X-Men Apocalypse and I thought it was okay. I don't think it's nowhere as bad as some critics make it to be. I read somewhere that one person thought that it might be the end of the X-Men franchise, which I thought was way overboard. Story is weaker in this sequel but it was still okay.

I just watched X-Men Apocalypse and I thought it was okay. I don't think it's nowhere as bad as some critics make it to be. I read somewhere that one person thought that it might be the end of the X-Men franchise, which I thought was way overboard. Story is weaker in this sequel but it was still okay.
Yeah, the movie was entertaining enough. Nerds that rage against this movie, and Ghostbusters by extension, need to shoot a load off and calm the hell down. They should be reserving that hate for a truly shitty movie: Force Awakens.

I think the hate against the movie is that it doesn't do anything different. Days of Future Past combined two different eras in a wildly entertaining story that rebooted the entire X-Universe, Deadpool was raunchy and meta, and Civil War changed the status quo completely. Even Batman v Superman was interesting in just how bad it was. X-Men Apocalypse seems like it's a pretty standard superhero story, which is not what critics are looking for.

Yeah, the movie was entertaining enough. Nerds that rage against this movie, and Ghostbusters by extension, need to shoot a load off and calm the hell down. They should be reserving that hate for a truly shitty movie: Force Awakens.
I wouldn't call Force Awakens shitty,it's just such an extremely safe film. I totally understand why they went that route,but the film just didn't do that much for me (I did enjoy Kylo Ren and Adam Driver's performance a lot).

I enjoyed X-Men Apocalypse. It's nice there are still comic book movies that don't spend time advertising spinoffs/solo movies/whatever and just worry about what's going on in the movie. Unlike with most other comic book movies these days, I feel like I got a complete story with the movie. I wasn't left with the feeling I just spent 2 hours watching a small part of one.

I saw X-Men as well and it wasn't good.  It wasn't shit either though.  Apocalypse was lame and Isaac was a total waste, you could have cast me as Apocalypse and it would have been the same.  His horsemen were wastes too.  I also thought the action sequences aside from Quicksilver's and 
Wolverine's
weren't exciting at all.  It was overall a disappointment but not on the level of Last Stand or Origins.

Tremors:

Watched it again due to RLM's recent video discussing it. One thing that sticks out to me is how it respects the audience,by not bogging itself down with pointless scientific explanations to explain these creatures;instead show you everything you need to know. Still a fantastic film that works due to you caring about it's characters and those effects still holdup great.

Met up with friends and our teacher for film night. We watched Time Traveller: The Girl Who Leapt Through Time

I thought it was okay, not something i'll ever watch again. Recently I bought one of my favourite movies Getting Any? which my teacher said would be too inappropriate to watch. So after Time Traveller ended I quickly put it on and we ended up watching it. She was dying of laughter throughout. It's so stupid and funny.

The Dark Knight Returns. I really dislike Miller's take on Batman, but it was an enjoyable animated film. I was most impressed with the '80s style music score. One of the better DC animated films to come out lately (not a fan of the Damien Wayne animated Robin films they've been doing) and far better than the live-action abomination that was BvS. 

Also, finally watched that video of James Rolfe talking about the new Ghostbusters film. So stupid everyone got so bent because he doesn't want to see it (even more idiotic are the people who said he shouldn't have voiced his opinion in the first place). The Ghostbusters remake looks like shit, just like most of the remakes coming out today. The guy doesn't want to see it, plain and simple. He articulated why in a coherent, non-rage mode manner. Got a problem with his opinion? fuck off.

Watched "On the Waterfront." A tribute to cowardice. Edit: Or something. Wow, Elia Kazan snitched on his colleagues who weren't mobsters committing crimes, but (former) communists. That's some mental gymnastics today.

The Rocketeer:

Had a ton of fun with this one. The effects for the most part still holdup. My favorite aspect was how clever it was with setting everything up in such a subtle manner.

Ride in the Whirlwind:

Pretty good atmospheric Western. Does a great job of subverting aspects of the genre.

Fast and the Furious 5. Vin Diesel is such a flirt. Better than the last movie, though disappointed that there was only one race. Why weren't there any scenes between Brian and Roman?

Just watched Alice, Sweet Alice (1976) last night. Surprised I never seen this one before. It was an interesting '70s horror/slasher film, and far better than I expected. At times reminded me of an Italian giallo film, which is never a bad thing. 

London Has Fallen:

london%20has%20fallen.jpg

That sums up quite a bit what's wrong with this film :lol: Commits the biggest sin an action movie could do by using really bad CGI blood (USE SQUIBS!!!). The action scenes suck and it has a ton of PS2 CGI throughout. Butler's character is a borderline psychopath who tortures people and brutally stabs people multiple times for no reason,so you can't even root for the "hero". It's comes off as a film a 12-year-old wrote.

The Last Dragon. Awesome Black Martial Arts New York movie. Surely they could've made a sequel, but Taimak probably said Hollywood meddling probably screwed that up. I would've like to see a comic book series, considering martial arts comics got popular in the Asian community in the 80s/90s.

Saw a bunch of movies yesterday.

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 2: Out of the Shadows - It was actually decent when they just had the characters interact, like in the beginning at the Knicks game and when they first meet Casey. Whenever the actual plot gets going, though, the movie fails big time. I will say I don't get the hate over Leo in the film. Maybe it's because I've always been a big Leo fan, but while his dismissal of the ooze wasn't handled well, I didn't think he was all that bad. Raph was way worse and he annoyed me all throughout the film. Also, in the beginning when April is running after Baxter's laptop, what happened to her pants?

Independence Day: Resurgence - I've seen a ton of reviews about this film, but none of them address the pacing of the movie. God damn does this movie move fast. The original had excellent pacing, giving lots of exposition relatively naturally and getting good action scenes when needed. Here, it pretty much hits the ground running and never stops. Also, the extra info for the Harvester Aliens is really not needed. I will say that I agree with others when they say the old cast was far more engaging than the new cast. I doubt a third movie will get made, but them traveling into space kinda has me excited.

X-Men Apocalypse - I don't think this film is as good as First Class or Days of Future Past, but I actually enjoyed myself. The movie felt like a true ensemble, I liked Nu!Nightcrawler, and the final battle was pretty cool. I will agree that Jennifer Lawrence's Mystique was pretty meh, though. I also want a Nu!X-Men film just to show off their kickass costumes right before the credits, though I do hope we also get another film with the old cast. 

Rifftrax Live: Mystery Science Theater 3000 Reunion - I sadly was nodding on and off since I had been up for over 12 hours by this point, but this was pretty freaking hilarious. Had a really fun time and it amazes me just how many cringe-worthy shorts the 50's-70's made. 

bread's done
Back