Surprisingly The Last Movie You Saw Didn't Suck Pt. 2

Snoopy and Charlie Brown: The Peanuts Movie

I thought it was fun, don't care much for the flying ace stuff though.

6bdE8IE.png

Revenant (2015) was not good, aside from its incredible depiction of a bear attack. Beautifully shot all around but really just a slow and shallow revenge tale. And Dicaprio is literally crawling on the ground wounded for most the film. It's astonishingly boring.

Last edited by a moderator:
I Come in Peace:

A great B-movie knockoff if Predator/Terminator. Instead of having the alien hunting for sport,it's a drug dealer alien sucking the endorphins from humans which is a great twist on the formula. I was really surprised by Dolph Lugren,who is does a good job as the wiseass cop(shame he was just typecast as generic action man). Pretty amazing the amount of shots that had the actors with explosions going off a few feet from them(this would all be CGI and green screen today). Solid action worth watching.

Akira:

Beautiful visuals in service of thin characters and a convoluted mess of a plot. Yeah,you have all these good action scenes,but am bored to death by them .since I don't care about these characters or any of the stakes involved during them;which was even worse during the last hour which was nonstop action for the most part. They try make Tetsuo this tragic figure,but the film didn't do enough for me to care about him(I thought it was hilarious that they try to give his relationship with Kaneda something during the last 3 mins). It's a well made film on a technical level(I thought the soundtrack and they way it was used was excellent),but I felt pretty empty during the whole runtime.
Dolph Lundgren's best film is I Come in Peace, they say. I do love that movie just enough cheese and nostalgia for that period between the 80s and 90s.

When I saw Akira as a teen, I didn't care for it. I've read the comics, both Kodansha and Marvel and it converted me to the franchise. I just want to buy Bartkira already.

When I saw Akira as a teen, I didn't care for it. I've read the comics, both Kodansha and Marvel and it converted me to the franchise. I just want to buy Bartkira already.
The film definitely made me want to read the manga. It was pretty obvious that the film was paced to hit as many of the manga plot points as fast as it could,with the sacrifice to most of the characters having any sort of characterization in the process.

I'm not the only one that didn't like the Akira film? I hated that thing. It put me off watching anime for awhile, back when I was barely getting into anime. Ninja Scroll and Ghost in the Shell brought me to the dark side after.

Never saw Akira, but I remember it being advertised as an adult cartoon in an infomercial on the Prevue Channel back in the day.

I will say that Ghost in the Shell put me to sleep. Stand Alone Complex is so much better.

Past the opening motorcycle scene Akira made me sleepy. It's a bloated film. As if it were made for people to study, not to watch and enjoy. If you're a film student you can squeeze some easy essays out of it.

GiS was great though. Never got into the anime series because the major's outfit was just bad looking.

Past the opening motorcycle scene Akira made me sleepy. It's a bloated film. As if it were made for people to study, not to watch and enjoy. If you're a film student you can squeeze some easy essays out of it.

GiS was great though. Never got into the anime series because the major's outfit was just bad looking.
GiS has some of issues of it's own.it's poorly paced and it has it's head up it's ass with the bullshit philosophy(though that's an issue with a lot of Oshii's works). Then it's delivered through poorly written monologues,which made it worse. Besides the Major's outfit,the show did a much better job with the ideas and themes than the way the film handled it.

Wow, that's some no-love for early 1990s anime. Most fans over a certain age can't stop raving about them. But they're damned if they've ever read an Eclipse title.

I saw a certain movie today, and was glad to see two Marvel movie trailers, and thankfully NOT BvS. Didn't care for the first part of the Deadpool trailer. Looks fun though in a stupid sort of way,

​Big Hero 6 - Wanted to see this for a while as it seems pretty popular. Literally knew nothing about it.

I didn't think much of it to be honest. I found myself getting bored numerous times. Looks nice but I didn't care for the characters or dialogue at all.

Just finished Christmas Vacation for the millionth time. Also pretty cool that Wombat is in the movie.

Ra4R2c6.jpg

So for Christmas I watched Army of Darkness. I don't own any Christmas movies. Shrug. Hilarious movie, very shlocky.  Keep your lofty expectations at the door, and you'll have a good time. That Blu-Ray set is nuts. The making of featurette is as long as the movie and there's sooo much more.

Watched Slap Shot for the first time the other day. The local ECHL team here had the Hanson brothers at the game so I decided to look them up. I love hockey movies, don't know why I never watched this one before. It reminded me so much of Major League, which it almost was except it's hockey and not baseball even though Major League came out much later than it did. Enjoyed it, Hanson brothers were definitely the best parts, wish they had more on-ice antics but like I said it reminded me so much of ML as I had the same sentiments when it came to the hilarity on the field.

I just watched the Goldbergs episode about the Slap Shot video tape. Heh.

Ex Machina was interesting. Heh, it starred that Nazi general and Poe Dameron from Star Wars. Interesting movie, even if a good deal ofit is something we've before. I really liked the special effects.

Watched Jurassic World last night.

I kinda hated it. I mean it was a well produced action movie, don't get me wrong. Except for the fact that I felt like I wasted my time watching it because even without knowing the story the movie, I could predict the story of it 5 minutes in. I almost felt bored through it I could tell what would happen next.

It's been interesting to watch the vocal opinion on Jurassic World shift as it's gotten further from release.

I'm feeling like the same will eventually happen to Episode VII as more of the very passive casual fans of the franchise end up seeing it, as seemingly happened with Jurassic World.

I don't think the reaction to Episode VII will be as harsh as there is a lot of good in the film.

I also think opinions will change a lot once Episodes VIII and IX come out.

Double Team:

It's what you get if you had a 12-year-old write an action film. So JCVD and Dennis Rodman(HA!) team up to take down the evil Micky Rourke;who seems annoyed that he's playing second fiddle to these two. Even if you look pass the nonsensical plot(which poorly rips off "The Prisoner"),the action isn't good at all due to the terrible editing. Then the cartoonist climax which includes JCVD fighting a tiger,a single landmine blowing up a Colosseum,and our heroes blocking a huge explosion with a coke vending machine. It is really something to laugh at.

Mississippi Burning:

Great thriller,evaluated by it performances led by,Gene Hackman. He's one of those actors that make any film better by his presence.They did fictional elements to the case,it does capture the racism which is pretty hard to watch at points.

Vampire Hunter D:Bloodlust

I enjoyed this way more than the director's earlier film,Ninja Scroll(how do you make a schlock action film with boring action,characters,and a boring main villain?). It's visual interesting throughout with great atmosphere and creative action scenes. Hell,the villain actually had a little something to him here,the only issue was the romance aspect;which is extremely tacked on(the character of Charlotte is really a plot device). It also did an excellent job of capturing Yoshitaka Amano's art style. Really good film.

Vampire Hunter D:Bloodlust

I enjoyed this way more than the director's earlier film,Ninja Scroll(how do you make a schlock action film with boring action,characters,and a boring main villain?). It's visual interesting throughout with great atmosphere and creative action scenes. Hell,the villain actually had a little something to him here,the only issue was the romance aspect;which is extremely tacked on(the character of Charlotte is really a plot device). It also did an excellent job of capturing Yoshitaka Amano's art style. Really good film.
Bloodlust over Jubei Ninpuchu????? Boring???

giphy.gif

I saw The Hateful Eight at a 70mm Roadshow showing yesterday.  A great, great movie and a great experience seeing it this way.  The theater I went to, at the first screening at 12:30PM, was sold out and completely full.

It was something different to see a movie in which:

1) There were no trailers in front of the movie.

2) There was an overture at the front of the movie with the score of the movie playing at the beginning of the movie, where it was on a screen that said "Overture" on a red background with a stagecoach image at the bottom of the screen.

3) There was a 12 minute intermission in the middle of the movie to change film cannisters.

4) They handed out a 16-page full-cover program talking about the movie handed out before the movie.

5) It was shown in Ultra Panavision 70, which is 2.78:1 aspect ratio, so you see bars at top and bottom of the movie screen since the movie screen is only 2.35:1.  They haven't shown a movie in this format since 1966, with Khartoum.

They're only doing this 70mm Roadshow in 98 theaters and it looks like it covers a good number of large metro areas.  Website link to see if it's in your area:

http://thehatefuleight.com/roadshow

Glad I went to see it, since I wasn't alive the last time they showed a movie in Ultra Panavision 70 and with the migration to digital projection going on, likely to be the last one.   It made a difference in the movie viewing experience and well worth the money spent on seeing it this way.

I also saw the 70mm version of The Hateful Eight yesterday and also really enjoyed it.  My only complaint was that at my theater they started the Overture prior to the movie show time.  The posted show time was 7PM and we got there at exactly 7PM just as the Overture ended.  I was pretty disappointed and might go again to experience that.

The film and presentation were terrific and the score was fantastic, although minimal.  Quentin hit it out of the park yet again and it was well worth the $17.50 I paid to see it.

The Big Short.

It's no easy task to boil down the credit/housing market collapse of '07/'08 into a two-hour film but this does a surprisingly good job.  Coupled with excellent performances (Christian Bale and Steve Carell stand out) and a great script, it managed to hold my attention throughout, despite throwing around a bunch of financial terms that might confuse a majority of viewers.  There are also a couple of amusing cameos but I won't spoil those.

The main characters are based on real people while the remaining performers are shoehorned into archetypal roles, but this actually works to the film's benefit -- it's both amusing and depressing at the same time.  Well worth the watch IMO.

The Big Short.

It's no easy task to boil down the credit/housing market collapse of '07/'08 into a two-hour film but this does a surprisingly good job. Coupled with excellent performances (Christian Bale and Steve Carell stand out) and a great script, it managed to hold my attention throughout, despite throwing around a bunch of financial terms that might confuse a majority of viewers. There are also a couple of amusing cameos but I won't spoil those.

The main characters are based on real people while the remaining performers are shoehorned into archetypal roles, but this actually works to the film's benefit -- it's both amusing and depressing at the same time. Well worth the watch IMO.
I thought Carell gave an amazing performance. Bale also played a very different role than he usually does but did it amazingly well.

Mad Max Fury Road. Totally awesome movie. Lacks story, one long ass chase scene. Simple enough. Who the fuck wanted the guitar flamethrower? Brilliant!
I'd say the whole chase was the story.They did a perfect job setting it up.It also had a lot of subtle world-building to it and I loved the message the film had(I thank George Miller for not slugging the audience in the face with it like most would).

Battles Without Honor and Humanity Part 1:

This is apparently considered the Japanese version of The Godfather.It kinda of is in scope,but the biggest issue I had with the film was the way it handled the amount characters. Your introduced to about 10 characters within the first 3 mins,it almost impossible to keep track of all the characters.Otherwise it's a really good Yakuza film..It's done in a documentary style to effectively play off the events that it's based on. It's got a good amount of violence(two rub arms are lopped off in the opening mins),and it does a great job of showing how honor is such a meaningless thing to all these characters.

Mad Max Fury Road. Totally awesome movie. Lacks story, one long ass chase scene. Simple enough. Who the fuck wanted the guitar flamethrower? Brilliant!
I was really fuck ing impressed by Fury Road. It was a remake that was really damn good.

My most recent film was Star Wars Ep VII. Call me crazy but I wish I did not spend the money on it. I mean it wasn't bad but it wasn't worth me going to a theater to see it. I would of rather just waited for the Blu Ray (I went with my GF and friends).

Lost Soul: The Doomed Journey of Richard Stanley's Island of Dr. Moreau

What an excellent documentary. You feel for this guy who had his movie taken away from him(he was over his head and had everything working against him though). The film becomes a great comedy when they get to the shooting of the film,which is a trainwreck of epic proportions. Brando was doing he could to just ruin the film,and then you Kilmer being a huge prick like usual. Great stuff if your a fan of the behind-the-scenes when it comes to making a film.

Just watched Harlock:Space Pirate on Netflix with my son last night. Picked it just for the hell of it, but we really enjoyed it. It's not rated, but I'd say it's PG-13 - aside from a quick Kei shower scene in the beginning.

Frozen - Finally got around to watching this. It was...enjoyable. The story was overall good, Anna was adorable, Olaf wasn't annoying, and the animation was great.

It wasn't perfect though. Elsa kinda drops from being a co-protagonist to a major supporting character after running away, Hans' Villain Ball moments were lame, and I felt the pace overall was a but rushed at points.

But the biggest flaw, IMO, was the songs. Not a single song felt organic to the picture and it kind of annoyed me when they kept breaking out into songs during the first half. Let it Go is probably the best transition, but even that felt odd and quick.

For one thing, the guy didn't have a kid. He was also buried because his partners were afraid the natives would go after them if they found the dead body. Finally, when Glass climbed out of his grave, he didn't seek revenge at all. He just wanted his stuff back and forgave the younger of the two dudes.

For one thing, the guy didn't have a kid. He was also buried because his partners were afraid the natives would go after them if they found the dead body. Finally, when Glass climbed out of his grave, he didn't seek revenge at all. He just wanted his stuff back and forgave the younger of the two dudes.
They do that with every film based on a true story.

Showdown in Little Toyko:

Wonderful action schlock. No fat to it just mindless action,hammy villain(Shang Tsung from MK),and ton of hilarious shit dialogue such as this gem.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TUWmIqToIx4

Die Hard 2:

Didn't enjoy it as much as last time. The constant winking at the audience that it's retreading from the first film was annoying.The dialogue is shittier ,and it has some poorly written moments(the whole cockpit escape scene). Also the main villain is just terrible(a waste of the talented William Sadler).

My Darling Clementine:

Classic John Ford Western. Great characterizations and performances as usual.

bread's done
Back