Surprisingly The Last Movie You Saw Didn't Suck Pt. 2

[quote name='tcrash247']I think it does a terrific job of making itself it's own film. Obviously it has some scenes and homages to the original, it's a fucking remake. But there's enough in here to stand on it's own. Maybe you should see it before making assumptions based on reviews.
[/QUOTE]

Oh, if I made assumptions based on reviewS, I'd say I would be in for a treat... But, one of the two people I tend to side with (Devin Faraci) made valid points that I was worried about. From that one sentence write-up, it sounds wonderful. It takes the over-used friends going to the woods for a weekend of partying and sex, and replaces it with something very grounded in reality and intriguing. I am also sure the gore is fantastic, but I've watched enough splatter films and exploitation in my life to need more than that in a film. The marketing also seems to be so up it's own ass that it's completely turned me off from the film... Now, mind you, I know that isn't any credit to any of the talent attached to the film, but rather the production company, but regardless, if you have to go out of your way these days to label yourself as the "best" or "greatest" or even "scariest" film ever, you need to get off your pedestal. This movie was completely unnecessary. It took a film with a little bit of black humor (everybody says that The Evil Dead was completely serious, but they are for the most part, wrong) and turned it into something that your typical teenager will go into and come out saying it is, indeed, the scariest movie ever. I'll eventually watch it, but I'm not going to sit in a theater distracted by the ominous glow of phones tweeting out how scared shitless each attendant is. Bleh.

[quote name='moon_knight']Just because some remakes suck doesn't mean all of them do. Avoiding a movie just because its remake isn't a very valid reason imo.[/QUOTE]

There are some exceptional remakes. Say what you will about little character development in Dawn of the Dead, but it took something that had a loud message and shed a lot of the weight to make it a more lean experience. Sure, it tripped over itself a few times, but it worked out so well in the end by bringing a pulse to a dying genre. Plus, The Ring is somewhere in my top twenty, as Verbinski didn't sacrifice the terrifying "what if" scenario to make a movie that over explained itself. Plus, Naomi Watts in that movie...

In The Evil Dead, it was such a shallow film, but it was executed with such a fun atmosphere. You could tell Raimi and Campbell were loving every second they shot. There wasn't much in the way of plot development or even character development, but Ash became such a recognizable character that it spawned not only two sequels, but also a pretty interesting career for Campbell. It's going to be extremely hard to find a character to latch onto like you did with Ash in a remake that seems to be so much style over substance. Again, the idea of going into the woods for an intervention is such a great, fresh take on the genre, but there seems to be a lack of any strong lead or character in the film at all.

Silent House - Pretty impressive and downright mind-blowing that it was all filmed in one take. However, the ending was extremely disappointing and kind of made the rest of the movie seem pointless.

[quote name='Tsel']Silent House - Pretty impressive and downright mind-blowing that it was all filmed in one take. However, the ending was extremely disappointing and kind of made the rest of the movie seem pointless.[/QUOTE]

Agreed. The ending completely ruined the movie for me.

I was impressed with Elizabeth Olsen though. Didn't realize she was related to the Olsen twins at first since she doesn't look like a gremlin.

[quote name='whoknows']Agreed. The ending completely ruined the movie for me.

I was impressed with Elizabeth Olsen though. Didn't realize she was related to the Olsen twins at first since she doesn't look like a gremlin.[/QUOTE]

Elizabeth Olsen has been pretty great, have you watch Martha Marcy May Marlene yet? Plus, she's gonna be in Gareth Edwards' new Godzilla movie. Yes.

[quote name='Vulgarism']Elizabeth Olsen has been pretty great, have you watch Martha Marcy May Marlene yet? Plus, she's gonna be in Gareth Edwards' new Godzilla movie. Yes.[/QUOTE]

Haven't seen that yet but I'll look into it.

And I heard about her being in Godzilla. Good choice.

I'm excited for that movie, but there are some things I've read about it that have made me less excited. Like it seems pretty much confirmed Godzilla won't be fighting another monster in the movie. Such a shame, that would be awesome. I'm really hoping it doesn't turn out to be the Godzilla story that's been told a million times before already.

[quote name='whoknows']Haven't seen that yet but I'll look into it.

And I heard about her being in Godzilla. Good choice.

I'm excited for that movie, but there are some things I've read about it that have made me less excited. Like it seems pretty much confirmed Godzilla won't be fighting another monster in the movie. Such a shame, that would be awesome. I'm really hoping it doesn't turn out to be the Godzilla story that's been told a million times before already.[/QUOTE]

I am very excited, as Edwards knows how to make a lot using only a little. If you haven't watched Monsters, you should definitely give it a chance. It has it's problems, but for how big the scope was and how tiny the crew was, they really put into perspective just how much you can do for such a small price. I do think the new Godzilla film will be more focused on the human element, but will still have enough of Godzilla at least to satisfy. As for other monsters, we will see. They just started filming.

[quote name='Vulgarism']I am very excited, as Edwards knows how to make a lot using only a little. If you haven't watched Monsters, you should definitely give it a chance. It has it's problems, but for how big the scope was and how tiny the crew was, they really put into perspective just how much you can do for such a small price. I do think the new Godzilla film will be more focused on the human element, but will still have enough of Godzilla at least to satisfy. As for other monsters, we will see. They just started filming.[/QUOTE]

I remember reading an interview where he said he didn't get the appeal of Godzilla fighting other monsters or something along those lines. It was disappointing to read.

Also I don't want to see the humans. I watch a Godzilla movie to see Godzilla.

I'm really worried the story is just going to be something attacks>what is it?>they name it Godzilla>he attacks some more>they're either dumb and kill him at the end or they just scare him away somehow.

I want the movie to be something great, but I'll probably be disappointed.

[quote name='Vulgarism']Elizabeth Olsen has been pretty great, have you watch Martha Marcy May Marlene yet?.[/QUOTE]

She was awesome in that. I'm curious to what your take of the ending is. (Or anyone else's opinion was has seen it) spoiler tag it.

Rewatched The Dark Knight Rises. And I have to say that I found the film even less appealing than when I first saw it. It just seems that nothing gels together. They're odd shifts in tone and temperance when there shouldn't be and dialogue is pretty constrained and forced at times, mostly any scene involving Alfred and Blake. I can safely say that Batman Begins and TDK are the high points of Nolan's trilogy.

[quote name='GhostShark']Rewatched The Dark Knight Rises. And I have to say that I found the film even less appealing than when I first saw it. It just seems that nothing gels together. They're odd shifts in tone and temperance when there shouldn't be and dialogue is pretty constrained and forced at times, mostly any scene involving Alfred and Blake. I can safely say that Batman Begins and TDK are the high points of Nolan's trilogy.[/QUOTE]

I think Nolan aimed for too large a scale in DKR. I still think it's good but flawed.

So I watched Nitro Circus and had never heard of them before. Not as enjoyable as I was hoping, but still somewhat entertaining. It's basically Jackass if Jackass was run by more responsible people who were trained in stunts they perform. They actually have Johnny Knoxville talking about them for a little bit and one of the guys behind the camera (forget his name). They basically summed it up nicely: Jackass has stunts that are designed to fail, whereas Nitro Circus has stunts that can't fail...because they may result in death.

Mostly bike/tricycle/boat type stunts, and I enjoy seeing them mess up. But nowhere near the personality or humor that Jackass has.

It's funny cause Nitro Circus is more of the Jack-ass stunt stuff while Loiter Squad is more of the Jack-ass comedy bit stuff.

[quote name='J7.']That's weird. If I were you I would rent it instead. Not sure I'd watch it again.[/QUOTE]
I just really dig dystopia. That and I was hopeful it would show up on one of the movie channels I get, but never did.

[quote name='GhostShark']I'd say the Jackass crew is pretty responsible and pretty well-trained in buttchugging and bonging farts.[/QUOTE]

If you want to see a group less trained in pretty horrendous stuff, check out the unrated version of the Dirty Sanchez movie. SFW, I PROMISE.

Take Me Home Tonight - Quite the charming chick-flick. I enjoyed it.

Argo - Pretty close to a perfect film. It has all the elements needed to keep you entertained for 2 hours. Fantastic movie.

[quote name='Tsel']Take Me Home Tonight - Quite the charming chick-flick. I enjoyed it.

Argo - Pretty close to a perfect film. It has all the elements needed to keep you entertained for 2 hours. Fantastic movie.[/QUOTE]
Kid, I like ya but no.

[quote name='moon_knight']Kid, I like ya but no.[/QUOTE]

I'm assuming you're referring to Take Me Home Tonight considering Argo is pretty much universally acclaimed? I realize it's not the best movie, but I went into it with incredibly low expectations, so anything above the worst was a plus.

Its well made, but the story is extremely straightfoward and there wasn't enough tension/supsense for me to be on the edge of my seat.

[quote name='Tsel']Take Me Home Tonight - Quite the charming chick-flick. I enjoyed it.

Argo - Pretty close to a perfect film. It has all the elements needed to keep you entertained for 2 hours. Fantastic movie.[/QUOTE]

Take Me Home Tonight is a chick flick?

[quote name='GhostShark']Yeah, I was under the impression it was a raunchy (somewhat) comedy with a cliched love story buried somewhere in there.[/QUOTE]

It is.

[quote name='whoknows']Take Me Home Tonight is a chick flick?[/QUOTE]

[quote name='GhostShark']Yeah, I was under the impression it was a raunchy (somewhat) comedy with a cliched love story buried somewhere in there.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='perdition(troy']Looked like a chick flick to me when it came out[/QUOTE]

Chick-flick was pushing it. I was tired and didn't feel like describing it in detail. I'd put in more along the lines of a regular comedy, but the love story does become the primary focus of it pretty early on. It's the standard story of the guy trying to get the girl when it's all said and done.

Finally saw Looper, and I was pleased with it, as long as you don't give a fuck about the premise about the assassins, which frankly was pretty stupid as human have been finding ways of disposing bodies for thousand of years without time travel.

[quote name='detectiveconan16']Finally saw Looper, and I was pleased with it, as long as you don't give a fuck about the premise about the assassins, which frankly was pretty stupid as human have been finding ways of disposing bodies for thousand of years without time travel.[/QUOTE]

They said it was very difficult to dispose of bodies and coverup mob hits in the future.

[quote name='tcrash247']They said it was very difficult to dispose of bodies and coverup mob hits in the future.[/QUOTE]

Yes and if every human is tracked by the gov't, a person who sudden vanishes "back in time :drool:" won't ever be noticed

Also they shot B.W future asian wife in the movie, looks like sloppy writing to me. Movie made no sense

Looking around the internet, and they said JGL's sacrifice was worth nothing, since nothing would prevent the Rainmaker's creation since Sara didn't die. But I wonder, if Joe's arrival didn't make the mother and son confront the issues in their relationship, the boy would've gone down that dark path? You know that trope about grown men with self-esteem issues because of their parents.

That movie went off the rails the minute it switched to a
rural
setting. I was on board while they were in the city and it felt more like a time traveling noir film. As soon as he
got out of the city
, straight down hill.

edit- Spoilered just in case someone complains that i ruined a major plot point.:roll:

Watched the first Men in Black, and I found it to be slightly better than the next two. The aliens were cool and all, but was it just as cheesy as its sequels. That feeling in the beginning where J started to wonder about this crazy world he was getting into is what made this one so magical. And then as it slowly wears off, you can only force that movie-viewing part of you to accept the movies as standard action/comedy fare.

Turtles Forever. Really enjoyed the nostalgia factor in this movie with the old ninja turtles. havent watchee the old series in a long time, so couldnt remember how close they are personality wise. Maybe too goofy in this movie.

And where they go near the end? Pretty awesome.

Searching For Sugar Man - My oh my this was a fascinating documentary and turned me on to an old forgotten artist (at this point rediscovered by millions). I suppose the film itself works because if the story was made up it would come off as too much. Since it's a true story it makes it magical.

Saw Professor Layton and the Eternal Diva, pretty nice movie for children and fans of the series. Voices were good, but the localizers got lazy localizing the rest of the movie, as logos and onscreen text remain unaltered, when they could've done it easily. The English soundtrack had no subtitles either.

From Up on Poppy Hill. Slow moving at the start since it doesn't have a real focus and picks up towards the end for a nice finish. The twists are a bit too obvious but still manage to tug at the heartstrings. I can see why Disney didn't pick this up, as it's a more mature story like Whispers of the Heart. Not their best nor their worst.

I'll be seeing that if it ever comes out near me.

It's a shame Disney didn't handle the US release of it since now it's a super limited release.

Man with the Iron Fists. Entertaining and the fight scenes were pretty sick. RZA was the worse part of the movie though and thankfully he made sure he limited his screen presence.

[quote name='j-cart']Man with the Iron Fists. Entertaining and the fight scenes were pretty sick. RZA was the worse part of the movie though and thankfully he made sure he limited his screen presence.[/QUOTE]
lol. This.

[quote name='perdition(troy']RIP roger ebert[/QUOTE]

Oh no. This dampens my mood.

Spring Breakers- Not sure what the CAG consenus is but I loved it. Franco was a stand out and I have to give it to the casting team for picking the right girls for each role. Made much more sense when I actually saw the film.

G.I. Joe Retaliation aka The Rock Pretends He's An Army Man: The Movie

Personally I don't think the Rock can carry a movie as the main character and this movie didn't change my opinion of that. He's far better as a supporting character.

Cool action scenes though.

bread's done
Back