Surprisingly The Last Movie You Saw Didn't Suck Pt. 2

The Karate Kid (2010) - 3.75/5

1st viewing.

Karate Kid (1984) - 4/5 3rd viewing.

Karate Kid, Part II - 3.5/5 2nd viewing.

Karate Kid, Part III - 3.5/5 2nd viewing.

Then you didn't like it and should rate it accordingly. You're like those Academy award voters that voted for 12 Years A Slave but didn't even watch it.
Bullshit. You can still know something is good even if you'd prefer to spend your time on something you know you would personally like better. I'd be doing people a disservice to rate something lower just because I want to watch something else more.

I'd rather play Gran Turismo 5 over Gears of War, that doesn't mean I don't recognize that Gears of War is a quality game. You have a lot of nerve telling me what I do and don't like.

I agree. A lot of stuff I've watched has either started strong and ended poorly or have been mediocre and have had great endings.
That was something that made me regret not watching the rest of that movie. But there was the chance it stayed the same or didn't get much better so I made the switch and don't regret the switch.

Last edited by a moderator:
Went back and watched the rest of

A Dangerous Method - 3.75/5 1st viewing.

that makes it .25 better than it's first 1/3. Do wish I had watched something else from my backlog during that time though.

Went back and watched the rest of

A Dangerous Method - 3.75/5

that makes it .25 better than it's first 1/3. Do wish I had watched something else from my backlog during that time though.
My point was, you should have waited to rate it until you finished it. Have I watched movies that I wasn't into at that very moment and turned to something else? Sure, but I couldn't give an accurate review on it until I finished it at another time.

Last Days - 3/5

1st viewing. Good material, very good performance by Pitt, a bit too abstract. Wish there was a real movie about Kurt Cobain. Him and Michael Jordan, separately of course.

My point was, you should have waited to rate it until you finished it. Have I watched movies that I wasn't into at that very moment and turned to something else? Sure, but I couldn't give an accurate review on it until I finished it at another time.
Agreed, but that's just my rating for the 1/3 and shouldn't be taken as a rating for the entire movie, wasn't going to watch the whole thing.

Crows Zero-4/5, fun movie, never read the orginal manga but read the only 3 volumes of worst released here. Has great music

Memories of Murder-4.5/5 wonder if they were close to catch the killer

The Karate Kid (remake) - 4/5

Jackie Chan.

Paul Blart: Mall Cop - 3.5/5

It's enjoyable. It's a great 90s action movie parody. It keeps going back to fat jokes a lot, but other than that, it's quite good.

I have a quick question. Does the new X-Men movie ignore X3 and most of X1 and X2?

The Karate Kid (remake) - 4/5

Jackie Chan.

Paul Blart: Mall Cop - 3.5/5

It's enjoyable. It's a great 90s action movie parody. It keeps going back to fat jokes a lot, but other than that, it's quite good.

I have a quick question. Does the new X-Men movie ignore X3 and most of X1 and X2?
It doesn't really ignore 3, its hard to explain without spoilers.

Lock Up - 3.75/5

1st full viewing. Don't know why this movie is rated so low. Stallone is the best part. Prison life done well. Donald Sutherland could've been better.

Black Snake Moan - 2/5

Just flat out boring.

Man on the Moon - 4.25/5

3rd viewing.

Jim Carrey is awesome in this movie. Paul Giamatti & Danny DeVito are great. Underrated film.

The Fighter - 4/5

1st viewing. 

Elysium - 3.75/5

1st viewing. Good acting but something is missing, perhaps more back story of the characters and situation is needed, and better climax. And the ending
is kind of stupid, how is Elysium going to function now that everyone on Earth will go there. They said Earth was overpopulated and Elysium is much smaller and already looks pretty populated.

I think the plot is weak and the progression is also very weak. There's not much of a reason why the audience would be engaged in it. Also, Kruger's voice should have been dubbed. I could barely hear him and I couldn't understand him when I could.

About the ending,

I think they were mainly trying to get to the healing machines. That was the motivation for most people.

I've been doing a little "cultural exchange" with my son and youngest nephew since they were about 10 years old (so about four years now).  We watch movies together, alternating who gets to choose the material.  I try to introduce them to stuff from my youth I think they'd enjoy, and they make me watch whatever strikes their fancy from NetFlix or Amazon Prime or Redbox.

I won't list every single movie here, but just a sampling:

Blade Runner (thumbs up from the boys)

Caddyshack, Stripes, Easy Money, Monty Python & the Holy Grail, Back to School (thumbs up)

John Hughes stuff (Planes, Trains & Automobiles; Sixteen Candles; Breakfast Club; Ferris Bueller's Day Off; Weird Science) - enthusiastic thumbs up

80s/90s action:  Stallone, Schwarzenegger, Bruce Willis (except Hudson Hawke), Seagal (before he teamed up with rappers and got fat) - thumbs up

Now for their suggestions to me:

Will Ferrell stuff - hate it for the most part, except Elf, which is charming and funny as hell; cameos are his most egregious offense (totally over-the-top)

Adam Sandler stuff - can't stand him, with exception of Airheads, Billy Madison and The Wedding Singer; want to kill with fire any film he does a "funny voice"

Rush Hour movies - Jackie Chan is incredible, Chris Tucker is one of the most annoying people on the planet (and he almost ruined The Fifth Element)

Death Note - not normally an anime watcher, but this was good

Kevin Smith movies - okay, boys, twist my arm why don't you ;)

Dredd - better than the Stallone debacle, but still horrible compared with the comics

Expendables movies - again, twist my arm, boys.  Older, no more intelligible when they speak, but 80s action guys nonetheless - pretty easy sell

During the last week..

Never Sleep Again - Good 4 hour doc about the Nightmare on elm street movies. Is on netflix worth a watch
The Last Stand
Unhung Hero
We Are Legion
Terms and Conditions May Apply
Bad Neighbours
The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou
The Royal Tenenbaums
Rushmore
Non-Stop
The Darjeeling Limited
The Iceman
Bottle Rocket

All the Wes Anderson films have been first time watches. Seen all his films now. All very good.

So it implies that stuff happened but it doesn't say what explicitly?
The opposite.

X1 still happens in broad strokes, as Rogue still has her hair stripe, but Mystique's position at the end of this film makes it doubtful she would team up with Mags again.

Unless Apocalypse specifically states otherwise, X2 did not happen at all. As a result, Jean doesn't go ax crazy and kill everyone, though the base plot with Leech and the cure could have still happened.

Only the first 15 minutes or so of Origins is still canon. The Wolverine probably still happens, but the motivation for Logan to go to Japan is different and it's likely some X-Men accompanied him.

Only First Class is explicitly still canon.

I haven't seen DOFP and probably won't till the bluray is out but then wouldn't this make the supposed upcoming wolverine sequel pointless then? 

I haven't seen DOFP and probably won't till the bluray is out but then wouldn't this make the supposed upcoming wolverine sequel pointless then?
No. The base plot is unaffected by the new tineline, though whether Wolvie has his adamantium or not will depend on what Singer does for the Apocalypse movie.

The opposite.

X1 still happens in broad strokes, as Rogue still has her hair stripe, but Mystique's position at the end of this film makes it doubtful she would team up with Mags again.

Unless Apocalypse specifically states otherwise, X2 did not happen at all. As a result, Jean doesn't go ax crazy and kill everyone, though the base plot with Leech and the cure could have still happened.

Only the first 15 minutes or so of Origins is still canon. The Wolverine probably still happens, but the motivation for Logan to go to Japan is different and it's likely some X-Men accompanied him.

Only First Class is explicitly still canon.
You mixed X2 with X3.

So it is like I thought... Things happen but without explicitly saying what happened, they can use parts of the movie. I guess they ignored Beast from X1.

You mixed X2 with X3.
Unless
Mystique hands Logan over to Striker
then X2 didn't happen either.

So it is like I thought... Things happen but without explicitly saying what happened, they can use parts of the movie. I guess they ignored Beast from X1.
Well, the be future is only on screen for about 10 minutes and never leaves the mansion, so what extra specifics are in canon are speculation right now. Also, the new future takes place in 2023, so there's a large gap between Wolverine and DOFP. As for Beast from X1, DoFP gives the reasoning for it. The serum probably kicked his blue fur permanent between X1 and X3.

Unless
Mystique hands Logan over to Striker
then X2 didn't happen either.

Well, the be future is only on screen for about 10 minutes and never leaves the mansion, so what extra specifics are in canon are speculation right now. Also, the new future takes place in 2023, so there's a large gap between Wolverine and DOFP. As for Beast from X1, DoFP gives the reasoning for it. The serum probably kicked his blue fur permanent between X1 and X3.
I thought it became permanent during First Class. It awakened the full mutation. The first scene in X3 and the Last Scene in First Class don't go together, especially since X1 established that Cerebro was built with Magneto's help. They were friends for a long time before they went separate ways.

I thought it became permanent during First Class. It awakened the full mutation. The first scene in X3 and the Last Scene in First Class don't go together, especially since X1 established that Cerebro was built with Magneto's help. They were friends for a long time before they went separate ways.
Yea...Days pretty cancels out pretty much all of that.
Hank's serum basically turns him into a poor man's Hulk and he only gets the fur when he's angry or irritated. Mags still has no part in building Cerebro. Maybe in the original timeline Magneto is the one to get Xavier pit of his stupor instead of Logan, but the changed timeline most definitely erased all that. New Timeline Magneto broke their relationship.

X - men Days of Future Past - 4.5 / 5

It was really good. Sure, Wolverine never went back I the comic, but somethings you have to change. I do like how the Time Traveling messed up a few things in the future however. From what I was reading, Singer said to think of X3 as if it never existed. I could be wrong though.

X - men Days of Future Past - 4.5 / 5

It was really good. Sure, Wolverine never went back I the comic, but somethings you have to change. I do like how the Time Traveling messed up a few things in the future however. From what I was reading, Singer said to think of X3 as if it never existed. I could be wrong though.
My mind already thinks that X3 never existed because it was god awful.

Enemy of the State - 4/5

2nd viewing. Remember this being better back in the late 90s. Surprising cast. Film a bit ahead of its time.

Liar Liar - 3.25/5

1st viewing. Not that good.

Dragon: The Bruce Lee Story - 4.5/5

3rd or 4th viewing.

Cliffhanger - 3.5/5

2nd viewing. Wish the video game was as good as the movie.

In the Name of the Father - 4/5

1st viewing. Better than I expected.

Arachnophobia - 3.75/5

3rd viewing. They should make a sequel.

Just got back from Edge of Tomorrow. While I was excited to see it, the movie looks like a box office dud for Cruise.  I really really liked it though.  Emily Blunt is great and Cruise was very good also.  The third act was a little off on pace but overall it was a great sci-fi movie.

It's a shame people write off Cruise's movies before they are released because of their dislike of him. I couldn't care about his private life, he's good at his job, which is making entertaining movies. I've felt he's had a solid track record as far as I'm concerned for the past few films he's made. Looking forward to Edge of Tomorrow, unfortunately not enough time go to the cinema's.

I don't care about his personal life but he's not an actor I'm excited to see. I feel the same way about Tom Hanks. Both these dudes don't do anything that isn't "safe" at this point in their careers.

bread's done
Back