Surprisingly The Last Movie You Saw Didn't Suck Pt. 2

Cowboy Bebop: Knockin' on Heaven's Door

First time watching, great stuff. I don't know the reason to why there wasn't much Bebop stuff produced, glad it was milked to hell but I would kill for another feature length movie.

I am also looking for suggestions, 80-90s anime feature, good action, cool characters and a not too distant future setting. Thanks!
I'm not an anime fan, but a friend had me watch Ghost in the Shell and I really enjoyed that.

Cowboy Bebop: Knockin' on Heaven's Door

First time watching, great stuff. I don't know the reason to why there wasn't much Bebop stuff produced, glad it was milked to hell but I would kill for another feature length movie.

I am also looking for suggestions, 80-90s anime feature, good action, cool characters and a not too distant future setting. Thanks!
Cause Watanabe would rather branch out and do other shows instead doing more Bebop.

Watched a bunch of stuff lately.

Luping the Third: Castle of Caglistro

Hayao Miyazaki's first film.The material is so simple,but his direction elevates it.It's perfectly pace.The animation still looks great,and it's such nice take on the character.

Mothra:

It was okay for the most part. The problem is Mothra is a boring monster to have as your main(she just crawls along half the movie). I actually enjoyed the human scenes more.I did enjoy the campness of it(Mothra attacks New Kirk City).

Low Blow:

Thanks to Redlettermedia for bringing this film to light! It's hilariously bad. If you want to see an old man try his best at being Jackie Chan and failing hilariously,this is the film for you.

Last edited by a moderator:
Watched Kingsman last night.

Didn't know the source material. Great movie. Probably resides near the top of the list of movies that aren't super good, but will watch anytime I see it on (along with stuff like Resident Evil and Starship Troopers).

The lisp is distracting and pointless.

Everything was great fun, and highly enjoyable. Choreography was great.
Agreed on all points. Felt like the lisp was there just for the joke about never being able to understand the Brits

Elf- Wow so many old sitcom stars!

La Casa de Mi Padre- Really fun movie. Genesis Rodriguez's butt double is something! Gael Garcia Bernal is hilarious. Sad that this was like the last thing Pedro Armendariz Jr. did, but he played it great. Nick Offerman should've been the lead considering his command of the Spanish language was impressive.

Kingsman: Secret Service

I'm not gonna lie, I thought it was dumb from the trailer but the actual movie was pretty damn great. The ending with the exploding heads was a bit weird, I thought they could've done something else instead. Overall 4.5/5.

I finally saw the silver linings playbook and thought it was good, but 8 oscar noms? WTF

I may be the only person here who hasnt seen ANY of the star wars movie. Time to get to it...

Ex Machina - surprisingly good sci-fi.

Don't write it off as simply a modern day Frankenstein without giving it a chance.  There is a lot of depth to the film and questions you'll want to discuss with friends long after the credits have rolled.  Those who took any philosophy in college will love some of the references, especially Frank Jackson's "Mary's Room" thought experiment, John Searle's "Chinese Room" thought experiment, and doses of Ludwig Wittgenstein (including the name of the Google-like search engine company in the film).  Exposition within the film will clue you in if you're not familiar with those, so don't let it scare you off.

Hot Tub Time Machine 2 was just as much stupid fun as the first. If you hated the first you will hate this one too but it nailed dumb comedy that in no way takes itself seriously.

"This is just like Fringe."
"You're a nerd. You're a huge fuck ing nerd."

Ex Machina - surprisingly good sci-fi.

Don't write it off as simply a modern day Frankenstein without giving it a chance. There is a lot of depth to the film and questions you'll want to discuss with friends long after the credits have rolled. Those who took any philosophy in college will love some of the references, especially Frank Jackson's "Mary's Room" thought experiment, John Searle's "Chinese Room" thought experiment, and doses of Ludwig Wittgenstein (including the name of the Google-like search engine company in the film). Exposition within the film will clue you in if you're not familiar with those, so don't let it scare you off.
The best film of the year. It's a masterpiece.

It Follows (2014)

I had heard quite a bit about the movie when it was originally released about it being a modern day horror masterpiece and that it was a great homage to old school horror movies of the 70's and 80's. Totally game for a movie like that.

Then, the audience scores came out on Rotten Tomatoes and I began to falter with my excitement. 96% for critics but audiences have it at 66%. What was causing such a major difference in opinion on what critics are hailing as one of the best films of the year?

After just now finishing the movie, I can totally see why there is a difference in opinion and the disconnect between the audience and critics. First of all, the hype really did hurt the film because it was not a "terrifying" movie but one that was unsettling. There are scenes that involve the "It" that are disturbing to watch in the essence that the entity has cold, determined demeanor and has purpose of focusing on one thing and one thing only. The scene with "It" taking the form of the mother and staring down the main protagonist was easily the most disturbing scene of the film.

Now, the movie has no truly big scares that modern audiences would consider scares (aka jump scares) and instead relies on the mood to set the uneasiness. The film is not for everyone as there will be people that will rip it for not being scary and lacking in logic (the pool scene near the end is pretty ridiculous in the kids thinking). However, the metaphor of STDs and even death being inevitable made me appreciate the film and its message underneath the director's twists to horror conventions.

Score: 4 out of 5

Ant-Man - thought this would be shit. I was wrong. Think I enjoyed it much more than Age of Ultron. Very entertaining film - 8/10.

Ant-Man - A pretty good film. Not as good as Avengers, Cap, or Guardians, but still a fun film.

I do think the editing was a bit slipshod, though. The camera seemed to move far too fast.

One thing I was wondering though is, where did the police guys go? They find out about Hank Pym and then disappear until the final act. Surely they could look up Pym's address and head there. And is the movie seriously trying to tell me that Scott managed to master the Ant-Man suit in a couple hours?

Coming off the hype of Evo and the excitement for the Street Fighter V beta I decided to watch some Street Fighter movies. I rewatched the Street Fighter II anime movie and the Street Fighter live-action movie. I hated the live-action movie when it first came out, but over time I started to like it for it's goofiness.

But this was the first time I watched The Legend of Chun Li. It wasn't a complete disaster, but it doesn't seem like something I will grow more fond of over time. I liked Balrog, and I liked Nash's cheesiness. At least I hope Nash hamming it up was something that was intended. Some of his lines sounded like things Leon Kennedy would say in the Resident Evil 4 video game.

The thing I couldn't look past was their re-imagining of Bison. I enjoyed him a bit more when a quarter of the way through the movie I started pretending he was Geese Howard. It made me laugh when he countered someone's strike by catching it, and throwing them across the room.

It makes me want to give the King of Fighters movie a second chance. I turned it off after 10 minutes. I thought "That's Iori?" and gave up.

Ex Machina

Great movie overall, but the ending was weird. Why didn't he just pull out the knife that was in his chest? Her leaving the kid in the room was not surprising at all, it was to show us that it's really just a robot with no real thoughts and feelings.

4.5/5

The Host. Not bad at all! Espected way worse judging from the reviews.

Saoirse is a really good actress. One of these days I will learn how to pronounce her name correctly. :D/

Gangs of Wasseypur:

A 5 and a half-hour gangster epic. You see the cycle of violence between these two families which span decades. The direction and camera work is excellent.Great performances from everyone. Don't let the run-time deter you,since the film never feels padded out at all.

Watched a bit of Riot, a movie that dramatizes the 1992 LA Riots from 23 years ago. Saw the Latino portion, where a kid basically goes through a downward spiral, following his base impulses and not seeing where it has led him, including losing his friends. That section also showed the beginning of the Asian portion, as when riots happen, the Asian residents who own their podunk businesses also get destroyed. And saw a little bit of the White part, this is where I rolled my eyes. Luke Perry played a divorced cop who was sleeping with Lucy Liu on the side.

Ex Machina

Had a free rental on google play movies for owning a chrome cast. Wish i'd watched it sooner as I really liked it. 

While I was constantly trying to figure out what happened next, it did surprise me a few times, but I worked out what the ending would be. It could've easily fell into a typical hollywood ending but I am very glad it didn't.

Watched the last Hobbit Movie: Battle of Five Armies. A grand movie, even if Legolas' scenes were so video game-y. I would've seen it in theaters if Denny's had the Hobbit Meals that year.

Saw Mission: Impossible 5 to waste time before DBZ:RF. I actually enjoyed it. It was refreshing to have an action movie without 50 explosions in it and I liked the chemistry of the four main characters. Had never seen any of the previous four films aside from the CinemaSins videos, but how exactly was Hunt able to put the key card in bis mouth without expelling his oxygen?

Chappie - Finally watched it and really got into it. There was a lot of dumb stuff that happened, but I really enjoyed it a lot. 

Godzilla:Final Wars

Mixed bag. It comes off a two films edited together. All the Godzilla scenes feel tacked on. I got a lot of laughs from the films attemepts at being "cool"(the motorcycle fight scene was absolutely hilarious). The whole production really comes an Asylum film. The monster designs are great,but you got some really bad videogame level CGI in there. Could've used some editing since this runs for 2 hours,which a film like this doesn't need to be that long.

Sesame Street on HBO, sure it's a win for PBS, meaning more funding. But it's indicative of how desperate public television is. Won't somebody think of the children?!

Watched Tomorrow Never Dies on TV today, fun movie. I just learned that the guy who played Dr. Kaufman, Vince Schiavelli, passed away 10 years ago, despite me seeing him in so many things. Michelle Yeoh was bad ass as usual. Teri Hatcher, of course HAWT.

Today is Richard Armitage's birthday. He's on tv right now as the Red Dragon in Hannibal, or Thorin from the Hobbit movies. I'm sure he's in plenty of films. But some sick person on the CW decided to air TWO movies starring Hugh Dancy (Will Graham), Confessions of a Shopaholic and Ella Enchanted.

Terminator genisys was pretty good, definitely better than 3 & salvation. Hope this current storyline continues.

The Quartermass Experiment:

Classic Hammer horror film.Has good acting and a solid script. Does a great job of building tense without dragging on.John Carpenter was obviously influenced by this film when doing his remake of 'The Thing',considering the creature is similar to the design of 'The Thing' at the end of that film.

Enter The Ninja:

Pretty damn funny. Only in the 80's could you have a middle-aged Italian man playing a ninja. I don't understand why the hell they got Franco Nero for the role; the man looks so bored(can't blame him since he's dubbed the entire time). The fight choreography is hilariously stiff,along with having bad editing(makes Nero's stunt double even more obvious). I loved the main villain,who just chews the hell outta of the scenery. It's pretty funny Cannon Group schlock at the end of the day. It has one best death scenes in a film.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-EvPvfVOUV8

June 11 - Jurassic World IMAX 3D Laser

June 17 - Inside Out 3D

June 19 - Magic Mike XXL Fan Event

June 22 - Escobar: Paradise Lost LA Premiere

June 24 - Max

June 25 - Magic Mike XXL Red Carpet Premiere

June 28 - Terminator Genisys 3D Dolby Atmos Gray Carpet Premiere

June 29 - Ant-Man Dolby Atmos World Red Carpet Premiere

June 30 - Ant-Man Secret Screening

July 1 - Terminator Genisys 3D 4DX

July 2 - Dragon Ball Z: Resurrection 'F' with English Dub. Red Carpet Premiere

July 7 - The Gallows Red Carpet Premiere

July 8 - Minions 3D

July 11 - X-Men: Days of Future Past: Rogue Cut @ SDCC

July 13 - Southpaw Red Carpet Premiere

July 14 - Attack on Titan Live Action Movie: Part 1 - Red Carpet Premiere

July 16 - Ant-Man IMAX 3D

July 22 - Ant-Man 3D 4DX

July 22 - Pixels 3D

July 23 - Straight Outta Compton

July 26 - Sharknado 3: Oh Hell No!

July 27 - Vacation Black Carpet Premiere

July 28 - Mission: Impossible - Rogue Nation Red Carpet Premiere Treatment

July 30 - The Gift Red Carpet Premiere

August 2 - Mission: Impossible - Rogue Nation 4DX

August 4 - Mission: Impossible - Rogue Nation Dolby Digital @ AMC Prime

August 6 - Fantastic Four

August 8 - Legend

August 10 - Straight Outta Compton Black Carpet World Premiere

August 17 - Z for Zachariah + Q&A

August 18 - American Ultra Red Carpet World Premiere

August 19 - No Escape

August 20 - Jem and the Holograms

August 20 - The Visit

June 11 - Jurassic World IMAX 3D Laser
June 17 - Inside Out 3D
June 19 - Magic Mike XXL Fan Event
June 22 - Escobar: Paradise Lost LA Premiere
June 24 - Max
June 25 - Magic Mike XXL Red Carpet Premiere
June 28 - Terminator Genisys 3D Dolby Atmos Gray Carpet Premiere
June 29 - Ant-Man Dolby Atmos World Red Carpet Premiere
June 30 - Ant-Man Secret Screening

July 1 - Terminator Genisys 3D 4DX
July 2 - Dragon Ball Z: Resurrection 'F' with English Dub. Red Carpet Premiere
July 7 - The Gallows Red Carpet Premiere
July 8 - Minions 3D
July 11 - X-Men: Days of Future Past: Rogue Cut @ SDCC
July 13 - Southpaw Red Carpet Premiere
July 14 - Attack on Titan Live Action Movie: Part 1 - Red Carpet Premiere
July 16 - Ant-Man IMAX 3D
July 22 - Ant-Man 3D 4DX
July 22 - Pixels 3D
July 23 - Straight Outta Compton
July 26 - Sharknado 3: Oh Hell No!
July 27 - Vacation Black Carpet Premiere
July 28 - Mission: Impossible - Rogue Nation Red Carpet Premiere Treatment
July 30 - The Gift Red Carpet Premiere

August 2 - Mission: Impossible - Rogue Nation 4DX
August 4 - Mission: Impossible - Rogue Nation Dolby Digital @ AMC Prime
August 6 - Fantastic Four
August 8 - Legend
August 10 - Straight Outta Compton Black Carpet World Premiere
August 17 - Z for Zachariah + Q&A
August 18 - American Ultra Red Carpet World Premiere
August 19 - No Escape
August 20 - Jem and the Holograms
August 20 - The Visit
And....are you going to give feedback or rate each movie?

He just likes to brag about seeing movies early.

He's so cool! He needs a trophy! /s
Real-Platinum-3.png

Ding (playstation trophy sound)

Watched two Dragon Ball Z movies. Wrath of the Dragon (only TWO scenes with a dragon), and Fusion Reborn (wuh?). They do make okay tv filler if syndication was worth a damn these days.

Well, the DBZ movies are basically condensed versions of whatever arc was currently going on in the show. Fusion Reborn was released around the time Gotenks and Vegito were fighting Majin Buu and thus Fusion was the main gimmick in the story then.

Wrath of the Dragon bucked that trend, kinda, though the title fits more than the Jaoanese title, "If Goku Can't Do It, Who Can?"

Inside Out - Was not planning on seeing this movie (was originally going to see Fantastic Four, but that will have to wait), but needed filler until next movie. Was actually quite enjoyable and heartfelt, though I prefer Up and Toy Story 3. I did enjoy the different variations of the emotions in other people, though.

The Man From U.N.C.L.E. - This film was awesome. I couldn't help but laugh and smile throughout the whole movie. All the action scenes and the scenes of Solo and Illya trying to one-up each other were great, and Gaby was not annoying at all. The only thing I wish had been in the movie was a cameo by David McCallum.

bread's done
Back