Surprisingly The Last Movie You Saw Didn't Suck Pt. 2

[quote name='crunchb3rry']I thought that movie was sad as fuck. Felt depressed for hours after watching it.[/QUOTE]

Agreed. I did like the movie (I gave it 4/5 on Netflix), but man I had to go for a long walk after watching it.

Letters from Iwo Jima - If it weren't for its alternative look at the battle for Iwo Jima and the Pacific Campaign in general, it'd be pretty average. Watanabe is great as General Kuribiyashi (spellink?) but the main Japanese soldier has like one expression that conveys everything from confusion, to fear, to anger. It becomes distracting about an hour into the film. Still, it was worth watching via Netflix.

The Deer Hunter - Good movie, but it was way too long. They could have easily cut an hour out of the movie, did the wedding need to be as long as it was? DeNiro and Walken were fantastic.

Been on a Blockbuster Kiosk binge lately.

Just Go With It - Enjoyed it more than I expected I would. Solid Adam Sandler flick, and somewhat a return to form for his. Very reminiscent of his earlier work, such as Wedding Singer. Never been a fan of Anniston, but by the end of flick, I was actually rooting for her and really enjoyed her performance/role.

Faster - The only thing you can say about this film is that it is definitely unconventional, and The Rock is the man!

Outlander - This one blew. Jim Caviziel is a terrible actor. What could have been an interesting plot ends up being just your run of the mill C grade, generic monster "SyFy" flick. Boring for the first hour and a half and by then you don't care for the film. Pass.

Last edited by a moderator:
Saw both Resident Evils back to back:

Resident Evil 1 - Outdated effects but good popcorn flick. Milla was hot. Red Queen is classic 7/10

Resident Evil 2 - Better film, Nemesis is top 10 villians all time, Alice and Jill are hot, especially together heh 8/10

[quote name='TooMuchCoolness']Thunderball dragged on way too long. I can't stand movies that are over 2 hours long 6/10[/QUOTE]

It would have been a 45 minute movie if you took out the scuba diver fight.

[quote name='whoknows']How was that?[/QUOTE]

Yeah I really enjoyed it actually. I'm a huge Jackie Chan fan so I pretty much watch anything he stars in. Looked good on blu ray too!

Fast Five - Much better than 4. The end was completely ridiculous but awesome with lots of destruction. The Rock is 10 times cooler than Vin Diesel so it was nice to see him in it.

X-Men First Class

Nice to see the series return to form. I didn't think it was possible to salvage after those celluloid abominations that were Last Stand and Wolverine.

[quote name='saunderscowie']Yeah I really enjoyed it actually. I'm a huge Jackie Chan fan so I pretty much watch anything he stars in. Looked good on blu ray too![/QUOTE]

I love Jackie Chan as well, but kind of forgot about that movie.

But now that you brought it up and said it's good I'll have to watch it :cool:

Watched Adjustment Bureau last night and it was a total boring piece of crap. I could barely watch it to be honest.

Then we watched Swamp Shark on SyFy and it was better than Green Lantern at least. Thats about the best praise I can give it.

[quote name='noone13']Watched Adjustment Bureau last night and it was a total boring piece of crap. I could barely watch it to be honest.

Then we watched Swamp Shark on SyFy and it was better than Green Lantern at least. Thats about the best praise I can give it.[/QUOTE]

some of those sci fi original movies are pretty amusing. i saw one a while back with a killer yeti or sasquatch in it lol funny freakin shit. "

[quote name='hiccupleftovers']
Just Go With It - Enjoyed it more than I expected I would. Solid Adam Sandler flick, and somewhat a return to form for his. Very reminiscent of his earlier work, such as Wedding Singer. Never been a fan of Anniston, but by the end of flick, I was actually rooting for her and really enjoyed her performance/role.
[/QUOTE]

I would have never considered watching this if it wasn't for your recommendation. I just finished it and have to say I was pleasantly surprised. I like Sandler and Aniston, but both have made some pretty crap movies lately. Glad to see them collaborate and make a good movie for a change. :)

I coudn't sleep last night, so I watched a couple documentaries on Netflix Instant.

70117003.jpg

Transcendent Man

4 Stars

What starts off as a sort of lecture on Ray Kurzweil's theories of how humanity is destined to turn into (to put it simply) cyborgs, eventually turns into a exploration of Ray's own life, motivations, and a borderline spiritual debate. Very interesting, and somewhat terrifying.

70084129.jpg

Bigger, Stronger, Faster

4 Stars

What I thought would be a Super Size Me warning of the effects of steroids lingers in the grey areas of the cultural necessity, calculated risks and benefits of their use. Whether you're pro, con or indifferent about steroids, you'll leave this film feeling equally educated and conflicted.

Kick-Ass
I laughed until I cried and then I also cried and then I laughed some more. I would be willing to bet good money that this will be the best movie I see all year.

70159333.jpg

The Man from Nowhere

4 Stars

Great crime/action/revenge flick. A pretty classic (read: predictable) story - mysterious retired hero befriends a kid, kid gets abducted, hero comes out of retirement to kick some badguy ass 8). The fight sequences are electric, and I'm not ashamed to admit Won Bin is the sexiest Korean man I've ever seen.

the-man-from-nowhere-original1.jpg

It's like Johnny Depp and Keanu Reeves had a beautiful gay lovechild.

[quote name='tcrash247']Fast Five - Much better than 4. The end was completely ridiculous but awesome with lots of destruction. The Rock is 10 times cooler than Vin Diesel so it was nice to see him in it.[/QUOTE]

that reminds me
Fast Five - oceans 11 with cars and guns so a hell of alot worse but was still amusing.

Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tide - its a pirates movie, Penelope Cruz reminded me of Nico Robin a few times which I found amusing.

Megamind - nice entertaining movie

Easy A - found it quite funny and the faces the faces! thinking of the lobster place in particular.

Solomon Kane - not as bad as I expected, enjoyed it but can't say I'd recommend it. Probably comparable to season of the witch minus familiar faces. Except that guy from crusoe and someone from rome apparently need to watch that sometime.

youth in revolt - amusingly ridiculous but not that good.

paul - funny

gunless - I liked it amusing canadian movie with some familiar faces.

[quote name='wwe101']ponyo, I know it's a kids movie, but I thought it was awesome.[/QUOTE]

Ponyo is amazing, such a beautiful film. If you ever get the chance to watch on blu ray or HD do because its stunning.

My just recently turned 13 year old brother is in town and he keeps requesting to watch scary movies. So far we have been watching crappy stuff like Paranormal Activity or weak slashers movies from the 90s. He has been scared of them but not REALLY scared. I want to put Strangers on and really scare the shit out of the kid(especially since anything that claims its based on true story makes him even more nervous). My wife however is putting her foot down that it is too scary.

So who is right in this case and at what age do you think strangers is age appropriate.

^ur kidding right?

[quote name='Clak']I was liking Paul until about midway through, this chick is annoying.[/QUOTE]

I thought it overall wasn't bad. The chick didn't talk THAT much thankfully.

[quote name='MSI Magus']
So who is right in this case and at what age do you think strangers is age appropriate.[/QUOTE]

Never seen it. You should show him KIDS, that will do it.

Ip Man 2 - Just as amazing as the first, but it seemed to lack some of the emotion the first one had. The final boxing match of the movie was splendid and excellently done. The
child Bruce Lee cameo
at the end of the film was a nice little addition I thought.

[quote name='MSI Magus']My just recently turned 13 year old brother is in town and he keeps requesting to watch scary movies. So far we have been watching crappy stuff like Paranormal Activity or weak slashers movies from the 90s. He has been scared of them but not REALLY scared. I want to put Strangers on and really scare the shit out of the kid(especially since anything that claims its based on true story makes him even more nervous). My wife however is putting her foot down that it is too scary.

So who is right in this case and at what age do you think strangers is age appropriate.[/QUOTE]
Pffftt, I first saw Nightmare on Elm Street when I was 10, I say show it to him.

[quote name='MSI Magus']My just recently turned 13 year old brother is in town and he keeps requesting to watch scary movies. So far we have been watching crappy stuff like Paranormal Activity or weak slashers movies from the 90s. He has been scared of them but not REALLY scared. I want to put Strangers on and really scare the shit out of the kid(especially since anything that claims its based on true story makes him even more nervous). My wife however is putting her foot down that it is too scary.

Not "based" on a true story it's "inspired" by one. I think movies that include events that could actually happen are way more scarier than movies like Friday the 13th and Nightmare on Elm Street. The strangers is a messed up movie though.

[quote name='Clak']Pffftt, I first saw Nightmare on Elm Street when I was 10, I say show it to him.[/QUOTE]

fuck yeah. Me too. Heard about the movie but was too scared to watch it. Was randomly watching HBO and saw the intro where he makes his glove and the title card came up, quickly changed the channel because I was scared. Then grew some balls and turned it back, watch the whole thing and was crazy for horror movies after that.

Bunch of free screenings mostly, plus some Redbox/BBE DVDs that I'm too lazy to post.

A Better Life - Contrived. pass on this one, especially for $10 tickets prices. Could write more about it, but I just didn't really care for it.

Winnie the Pooh (2011 version, not sure if this is a rehash, reboot, sequel, prequel, or what) - Cute. Enjoyable for the kiddies, but for us adults it felt as though it was really trying to hard. Some nice sequences, and Eeyore is awesome in this one, but some of the characters are rather annoying/grate on the nerves compared to the Disney classic.

Captain America (1990 edition) - Midnight Madness on this one. This was a packed theatre of 300-400 and was a total blast. Lots of commentary from the crowd, and it's just over top bad/hilarious. Reminded me of going to Comic-Con. Great Q&A by the director afterward was fun as well (plus, I got a free ticket to see the new one on the 22nd.)

Battle: Los Angeles - I know I shouldn't like this. The film student/review/analyzer in me says so, but I just can't help but find this movie to be a lot of fun, and fuck it, it's great to see marines fight for about an hour and a half.

I saw The Strangers when it first came out at the movies.I was 13 at the time.Now I'm 15 turning 16 in a month.I didn't get the shit scared out of me it was scary but not that scary to me.

Started to watch the 1976 dark/black comedy film Network which coined the phrase: "I'M MAD AS HELL, AND I'M NOT GONNA TAKE IT ANYMORE!" on netflix, but only got through the first hour. I'll watch the rest of it tonight if I have time. I wanted to squeeze in some Child of Eden before I went to bed.

The Fly. Great special effects for its time and now one of my favorite sci fi movies. One of the best endings of any sci fi movie too!

60021299.jpg

Wet Hot American Summer

4 Stars

It's a spoof of 1980's camp/party/teen movies, but it was made in 2001. If any of you are familiar with a short-lived sketch comedy show called "The State", this movie is what the creators & cast did in between "Strangers With Candy" and "Reno 911". If you think any of those things I mentioned are funny, you'll get this movie. Otherwise, the movie will probably confuse and/or irritate you.

bread's done
Back