Surprisingly The Last Movie You Saw Didn't Suck Pt. 2

Let Me In - I don't know why I bothered, but since it was on Netflix I gave this one a watch. How you can remake a movie almost word for word and scene for scene and still fuck it up is completely beyond me. This had none of what made the original good. There was no charm, I didn't give a shit about the relationship between Abby and Owen like I did in the original, the special effects were horrendous and the end scene was poorly done. It's almost like the director read the script for the original but didn't actually see the movie. I'm guessing next up on Hollywood's remake of foreign films plate is probably Troll Hunter, I can't wait to see that ruined too!

[quote name='tcrash247']Let Me In - I don't know why I bothered, but since it was on Netflix I gave this one a watch. How you can remake a movie almost word for word and scene for scene and still fuck it up is completely beyond me. This had none of what made the original good. There was no charm, I didn't give a shit about the relationship between Abby and Owen like I did in the original, the special effects were horrendous and the end scene was poorly done. It's almost like the director read the script for the original but didn't actually see the movie. I'm guessing next up on Hollywood's remake of foreign films plate is probably Troll Hunter, I can't wait to see that ruined too![/QUOTE]

You are way too harsh. It isn't a straight up remake and the director did a really good job of taking subtle parts of the book and integrating them into the movie. I actually like the movies and the book a lot so I will defend it. Anyone who thought the movie was going to focus on things like Tommy, fucking little children, or his relationship with his dad is crazy. Both movies skip over that stuff for the most part and they are better for it. Let Me In did a good job of streamlining the plot for an audience that would be unfamiliar with the book.

I watched Knight and Day this week and I was surprised at how decent this movie was considering how negative the reviews were. For a summer fluff movie it is really really good. Don't go in expecting some high level drama, but for a fun action movie it does a really good job. Tom Cruise is great in it.

I saw Bad Teacher last weekend and it would be a solid rental. It wasn't hilarious, but there were some pretty good parts. Also Lucy Punch looks absolutely fantastic in this movie.

[quote name='tcrash247']Let Me In - I don't know why I bothered, but since it was on Netflix I gave this one a watch. How you can remake a movie almost word for word and scene for scene and still fuck it up is completely beyond me. This had none of what made the original good. There was no charm, I didn't give a shit about the relationship between Abby and Owen like I did in the original, the special effects were horrendous and the end scene was poorly done. It's almost like the director read the script for the original but didn't actually see the movie. I'm guessing next up on Hollywood's remake of foreign films plate is probably Troll Hunter, I can't wait to see that ruined too![/QUOTE]

Ah you're one of those people.

I saw the US version first and then saw the original, and I gotta say the original didn't really blow me away. One really didn't seem better than the other to me.

[quote name='CaseyRyback']You are way too harsh. It isn't a straight up remake and the director did a really good job of taking subtle parts of the book and integrating them into the movie. I actually like the movies and the book a lot so I will defend it. Anyone who thought the movie was going to focus on things like Tommy, fucking little children, or his relationship with his dad is crazy. Both movies skip over that stuff for the most part and they are better for it. Let Me In did a good job of streamlining the plot for an audience that would be unfamiliar with the book.[/QUOTE]

Huh? I never read the book. I'm comparing it solely to the foreign version of the film and I think the original is far and away better.

Rampage - seen it on netflix instant, figured I would give it a shot knowing it would suck. Didn't suck as much as I thought it would but it was still a pretty bad movie. Bingo scene was the only thing worth it.

[quote name='tcrash247']Huh? I never read the book. I'm comparing it solely to the foreign version of the film and I think the original is far and away better.[/QUOTE]

I think so too, even the version with the shitty subtitles. I do think the bullying (a really important aspect of the story) was more disturbing and effective in the remake.

The Resident- Really digging Hammer Films. This was a straight up old school creepy thriller. Hillary Swank makes quality films, even when they are low budget affairs. I guess after the Next Karate Kid she swore off the meh.

[quote name='whoknows']Ah you're one of those people.

I saw the US version first and then saw the original, and I gotta say the original didn't really blow me away. One really didn't seem better than the other to me.[/QUOTE]

I saw them in the opposite order, but had the same impression. I probably liked the original a tad more as I liked the actress who played Abby better in that one. But otherwise I thought they were largely the same as well. Both good, but not great movies and both a bit overrated IMO.

[quote name='Kaelestis']Rampage - seen it on netflix instant, figured I would give it a shot knowing it would suck. Didn't suck as much as I thought it would but it was still a pretty bad movie. Bingo scene was the only thing worth it.[/QUOTE]

Where as I thought it was a decent movie with the bingo scene being the worst in the whole movie!

Tron Legacy - I thought it was going to be terrible but really enjoyed it. Olivia Wilde being hot as hell only made things better.

[quote name='MSI Magus']Where as I thought it was a decent movie with the bingo scene being the worst in the whole movie![/QUOTE]

I only liked it cause it seemed kind of surreal and funny and was a nice break from the rest of the movie which I thought was kind of boring. Just couldn't get into the movie because the guy wasn't likable, the shaky camera, and the believability of it all. Just different tastes.

The Machinist - Definitely worth a watch, but not as good as people make it out to be. Tries to be too creative and in the process becomes flat. There is enough character development but it's not done very well.

Trannyformers 1 - Original FAIL
Trannyformers 2 - Epic FAIL
Trannyformers 3 - Colossal FAIL

Sucker Punch - 7/10

Good except for the parts where I needed to be on a drug. Need an upper for after the movie too...

[quote name='Cerebral_One']The Machinist - Definitely worth a watch, but not as good as people make it out to be. Tries to be too creative and in the process becomes flat. There is enough character development but it's not done very well.[/QUOTE]

Machinist was excellent. Best movie of the first 10 2000s.
Other recommendations:
Let the Right One In
Heartless
Dragon Tat movies

[quote name='vrblknch']Machinist was excellent. Best movie of the first 10 2000s.
Other recommendations:
Let the Right One In
Heartless
Dragon Tat movies[/QUOTE]

It was cliche. Why do you think it's that good?

[quote name='Cerebral_One']It was cliche. Why do you think it's that good?[/QUOTE]

The Machinist was cliche? Hmmm. Name another film similar.

Ironclad- good for gore, thats about it
Happythankyoumoreplease- nice warm fuzzy, thats about it

My wife and I both thought the machinist was one of the most dull movies we ever watched. It just felt like it was trying to be artsy the whole damn movie. Although it was really funny watching my wife try and figure out the whole movie why the main actor looked so familar just to in the last 20 mins of the movie scream - I GOT IT! ITS BATMAN! THATS WHO IT IS BATMAN!

[quote name='vrblknch']The Machinist was cliche? Hmmm. Name another film similar.

Ironclad- good for gore, thats about it
Happythankyoumoreplease- nice warm fuzzy, thats about it[/QUOTE]

Films that pretend someone else did it but it was really the main character who did it or films that examine whether the character is crazy or there really is something else going on. Conspiracy Theory, Gothika, Donnie Darko, K-Pax, Shutter Island, 12 Monkeys, The Jacket. All much better movies than The Machinist IMO.

[quote name='Cerebral_One']Films that pretend someone else did it but it was really the main character who did it or films that examine whether the character is crazy or there really is something else going on. Conspiracy Theory, Gothika, Donnie Darko, K-Pax, Shutter Island, 12 Monkeys, The Jacket. All much better movies than The Machinist IMO.[/QUOTE]

12 Monkeys and Darko I'll give you. To me it was a little deeper than crazy. Its more like the physical and literal affects of torment, self-loathing and guilt. Was it even about who did it? To me the reveal wasn't a gimmick like Shutter Island or a M Knight flick because it wasn't dangling there the whole film. I appreciated the slow, methodical imagery. More Peter Weir Witness or Nolan Memento than dollar movie Jacket! In fact the whole not sleeping thing was a lot like Insomnia in which Pacino was very convincing in a similar lead as Bale in Machinist.

BTW you reminded me of 2 things... I really liked the Imaginarium of Dr. P and how tough it is to follow up initial successes. Darko's director blessed us with Southland Tales and the Box yeck! At least we got Transsiberian out of the Machinist guy!

[quote name='moon_knight']Transformers: Dark of the moon
No country For Old Men
Leaves of Grass[/QUOTE]

Sound like Transformers is the best of the 3.

[quote name='vrblknch']12 Monkeys and Darko I'll give you. To me it was a little deeper than crazy. Its more like the physical and literal affects of torment, self-loathing and guilt. Was it even about who did it? To me the reveal wasn't a gimmick like Shutter Island or a M Knight flick because it wasn't dangling there the whole film. I appreciated the slow, methodical imagery. More Peter Weir Witness or Nolan Memento than dollar movie Jacket! In fact the whole not sleeping thing was a lot like Insomnia in which Pacino was very convincing in a similar lead as Bale in Machinist.

BTW you reminded me of 2 things... I really liked the Imaginarium of Dr. P and how tough it is to follow up initial successes. Darko's director blessed us with Southland Tales and the Box yeck! At least we got Transsiberian out of the Machinist guy![/QUOTE]

Well crazy is what crazy does regardless of why it's happening. To me it was about who did it because the whole movie we're led to believe it was Ivan. It reminded me of those types of films where it's all about blaming one dude then they switch it on you. What really irritated me was the stupid note on the fridge is it Miller is it Mother no it's killer! I don't think Shutter Island was a gimmick because it was revealed over time throughout the film pretty effectively.

Shutter Island was terrible, I literally walked into the theater thinking "I bet dicaprio is the crazy one". I've never before guessed the ending of a movie like that. Really disappointed me considering it was a Scorsese film.

[quote name='whoknows']Sound like Transformers is the best of the 3.[/QUOTE]

No Country For Old Men is a fantastic movie with a villain much more frightening than whatever garbage Transformers throws at you.

No country for old men is a shitty movie with a villain that is more boring than whatever any other movie throws at you.

I haven't seen No Country for Old Men, but i read the book. It didn't have any punctuation besides periods. It was enjoyable.

But seriously, Layer Cake. I was surprised i'd never seen this movie earlier, it was fantastic!

Wasteland.

Great documentary about an artist who goes to the largest landfill in the world and makes art using trash with the help from employees there who pick recyclables out of the landfill.

Very interesting both from standpoint of the stories/lives of the people who work in the landfill, as well as watching the artist work.

[quote name='vrblknch']12 Monkeys and Darko I'll give you. To me it was a little deeper than crazy. Its more like the physical and literal affects of torment, self-loathing and guilt. Was it even about who did it? To me the reveal wasn't a gimmick like Shutter Island or a M Knight flick because it wasn't dangling there the whole film. I appreciated the slow, methodical imagery. More Peter Weir Witness or Nolan Memento than dollar movie Jacket! In fact the whole not sleeping thing was a lot like Insomnia in which Pacino was very convincing in a similar lead as Bale in Machinist.
[/quote]

I agree. I saw The Machinist as more about the guilt and self loathing and the effects it had on him than being a "who dunnit?" movie.

[quote name='Clak']Shutter Island was terrible, I literally walked into the theater thinking "I bet dicaprio is the crazy one". I've never before guessed the ending of a movie like that. Really disappointed me considering it was a Scorsese film.[/QUOTE]

It was very predictable, but I still enjoyed it. Good performance from DiCaprio.

[quote name='whoknows']Sound like Transformers is the best of the 3.[/QUOTE]
It was the most fun out of the 3, but No Country For Old Men is a way better movie.

[quote name='moon_knight']It was the most fun out of the 3, but No Country For Old Men is a way better movie.[/QUOTE]

I thought that movie was extremely overrated.

I remember watching it and after it finished thinking "that's it?"

[quote name='dmaul1114']One of those movies I like more each time I watch it.[/QUOTE]

I own one of those movies...the J.J. Abrams Star Trek. I thought it was a great introduction for a person who has never been a fan of Star Trek.

[quote name='blindinglights']I saw Transformers: Dark of the Moon in 3D the other day and I think it was better than the first two movies.[/QUOTE]

The first Transformers movie was my best of three, but I must admit Dark of the Moon was close to edging it out. Dark of the Moon had a VERY abrupt ending, but I think it was final enough that they stop there and let everyone breathe for a few years. My nitpicks with the movie are bad historical cgi (Gump had a much better use of archival footage), didnt get how they can ace giant robos but rush JFK and hire a bad Obama stand in. Those 5-10 seconds jarred me back to reality after they did such a great job with the lunar landing stuff.

I will give the lastest props for the space bridge and Prime's control deck as a weapons cache, those were right from season one of the cartoon. Welcome touches. The reason #1 is king is because it came out of nowhere and established Shia pet, introduced Megan Fox, and single-handedly made Chevy Camaros cool again...

BTW...
Hanna is my pick for movie of the year
Source Code, even better than Moon, Duncan Jones is on my list of release day directors now.

Harry Potter 8 was very good

One major gripe came near the very end
where Harry flubbed the line, saying that his son was named after 2 of the bravest men he ever met. In the movie it's implied to be singular. NERDRAGE!!!

Limitless - Wonky premise but it makes itself believable enough to look past. Recommended

Tron Legacy - Hot chick was hot, Daft Punk was great as usual, Bridges acts like the dude for 2 lines of dialogue, everything else was boring and predictable.

Transformers 3 - This movie was extremely, whatever. Most of the movie was boring and I didn't care what was happening, will he ever realize we want 2 hours of nothing but Transformers? I guess not. The end was pretty awesome for the most part. At least it was better than 2, but that wasn't a difficult feat to accomplish.

Just checked out Senna. Easily one of the best documentaries of the last five years. It's gotten a 100% on Rotten Tomatoes too. It depicts the life and death of Ayrton Senna, who is widely considered to be one of the best, if not the best, F1 drivers ever. Seriously good shit. The racing portions alone are worth watching.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z9SJYmFi0m0

[quote name='gbpackers94']The Man From Nowhere- Absolutely amazing. May have just become my favorite movie of all time.[/QUOTE]

Yes! The trailers on youtube do it no justice. Man from Nowhere was freaking awesome.

Winnie the Pooh was a really good movie. I expected it to be a movie that only children would want to watch (even compared to the originals, and tv show). But it turned out to have a lot of good humor that both children, and adults could enjoy. It was done very well, and was also directed by John Lasseter

bread's done
Back